Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Time To GET RID of CELEBRATION PENALTY
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Time To GET RID of CELEBRATION PENALTY

Nov 29, 2018, 6:31 AM

College football has gone completely stupid on the CELEBRATION PENALTY.

It has different names: excessive celebration - taunting - unsportsmanlike conduct, etc. Without a doubt, all of those can be bad. Sure, we don't want college ball to become a "thug game." But flags thrown today are many times - just plain silly & ridiculous, and so often - unfair.

Having SOME fun & celebrating with your teammates & fans is completely natural & doesn't hurt the game ONE BIT. Wilkins getting a 15-yard penalty for striking a "Heisman pose" for 1 second, for example - is not taunting or delaying the game in any way.

I remember CU football (before these asinine rules) when players could jump into stands and high-5 fans - and it was GREAT! It was FUN. It took about 3 seconds & was NEVER directed toward the opposing team. Never were CU players getting in the face of opposing players saying, "Man - we KILLED you on that one! Dude - you guys stink! Why don't you just quit now!"

It was a brief little bit of fun between teammates & fans - - and what's wrong with that? There is nothing "unsportsmanlike" about having fun & celebrating a score. Cursing other teams' players or flipping them off - okay, that's different.

As long as it's between your own players & fans - and doesn't result in long game delays - just let the guys & fans have a few seconds of good American fun.

I've seen the rules the old way, and I've seen today's rules. What we have now is MORONIC, INSANE & WAY OVER THE TOP! It's time to end this stupidity.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Time To GET RID of CELEBRATION PENALTY

Nov 29, 2018, 7:09 AM

I am 72 years old and very "old school" however I agree with you! The ones I don't like are the ones the NFL allows. The ones with the bowling alleys, baseball games or Dance contests. Kids having fun and the Heisman pose certainly does not hurt anything. Maybe I'm just too old school! Lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 7:21 AM

Exactly. The NFL allows TOO much, but the fans like it & ratings seem to have improved. Still, I wouldn't want to go that far. But what we have in college ball now is more strict than convent or monestary rules.

celebrating with your teammates is fine.

Nov 29, 2018, 7:25 AM

it happens after every touchdown. striking a heisman pose is not about your teammates. it's about you. and it draws a penalty. rightly so. just act like you've been there before.

Re: celebrating with your teammates is fine.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:07 AM

Ahhh - come on. The teammates seemed fine with the Heisman pose. Just another way of celebrating a score & having fun. EVERYONE says, "Act like you've been there before." Does that mean they have to act like stuffed shirts - saluting like West Point cadets - never enjoying the moment?

Why do we have to observe Buckingham Palace rules of decorum?

Nov 29, 2018, 8:16 AM

Funny you should bring up saluting. We got a celebration penalty 3 or 4 years ago when our player saluted after scoring a TD. I think it was our TE and it was during our Military Appreciation game.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:29 AM

That's a perfect example of why this ludicrous rule goes too far. If a SALUTE gets flagged....well....that's nothing short of the ref having had a lobotomy.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:35 AM

Civilians shouldn’t salute. It’s disrespectful to the military.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Nov 29, 2018, 8:41 AM

You catch a lot of grief on this site. And most of the time rightfully so. But you’re right on this one.

That's pathetic.

Nov 29, 2018, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: celebrating with your teammates is fine. ]

Do you REALLY think a football player that salutes on Military Appreciation Day after a TD intends any disrespect whatsoever? It's laughable to draw that conclusion.

I would certainly hope nobody from our armed forces past or present is such a snowflake that they are offended by a harmless act of respect and appreciation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's pathetic.

Nov 29, 2018, 10:05 AM

I’m going to guess you’re the type of person who gets upset when they kneel during the national anthem ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do you think kneeling for the anthem is a show of respect

Nov 29, 2018, 1:14 PM

ret@rd?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on, '09!

Nov 29, 2018, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: celebrating with your teammates is fine. ]

Your fans stand collectively and deliver one-finger salutes all game along! Whats's up with that?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow...just wow !!!!

Nov 29, 2018, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Re: celebrating with your teammates is fine. ]

I see you're making a special effort today to be even more ignorant than usual.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

It would be a circus three games into the season

Nov 29, 2018, 7:27 AM

every player trying to outdo the last, just like the NFL and their phones hiding in the goalpost.

Nov 29, 2018, 7:33 AM

Agreed, deliberate taunting should get a flag, a drawn out scripted 1 act play should get a delay of game. A little fun with your teammates should be allowed. Even the broadcast team thought the flag on CW was uncalled for. Like so many times, it falls back to the specific officiating crew.

As bad as the crew was on Sat., and they were terrible, we've all seen as bad or worse from ACC crews.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:14 AM

Completely agree with OP

Here's a thought, though. Given the incendiary nature of this rivalry, maybe the officials were just trying to prevent big trouble later in the game.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:25 AM

In college sports it causes fighting and is reasonably frowned upon by the officials.

In the NFL everyone is getting paid so it’s not really comparable.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:45 AM

That's simply not historically correct. Before these rules got 3000% more strict - small, short celebrations (no taunting) were allowed & I never saw one fight. The only REAL fight I saw in the Valley was the 2004 CU/SC fight (when the current rules were in play). SC started that, by the way. The most recent REAL fight I saw was UNC/NCST last Saturday. If that's what these ultra-strict celebration rules are designed to prevent - it ain't workin'.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Time To GET RID of CELEBRATION PENALTY ]

Those things are not connected at all. There is a difference between celebrating and taunting/antagonizing.

Snowflake Basher........Out

I loved the Ochocinco and TO celebrations

Nov 29, 2018, 8:45 AM

I know they got more and more ridiculous... but this is a fricken GAME they are playing. Let these guys have some fun.

Snowflake Basher........Out

I love the Hunter Renfrow style.......

Nov 29, 2018, 8:52 AM

A HUGE smile and flip the ball to the referee......

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Officials aren't consistent with targeting...

Nov 29, 2018, 9:04 AM

How will they ever differentiate between 'celebration' and 'taunting'? And the replay booth...really...they'll review? LOL!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Officials aren't consistent with targeting...

Nov 29, 2018, 9:21 AM

So - I don't know. Just no fun ever, I guess. Play the game with a grimaced face. Calmly jog back to the sidelines & have a priest say, "Well done my son, well done."

You should have seen the game when it was reasonable. A little celebrating was allowed & it was fun! The crowd loved it. Life is too short to ban all celebration. I'm not advocating "mooning" opposing players.

Nov 29, 2018, 9:34 AM

My main issue with this past weekend is that Wilkins does the power ranger move after a sack. Ferrell does his fishing thing. Several offensive guys signal 1st down after big gains. Why are all of these ok, but a half second Heisman pose directed at nobody after a TD isn't?

Nov 29, 2018, 9:36 AM

OMG - a TU for this one. ### - 1 second of a leg in the air and a smile - Jesus, the sport is supposed to be FUN !!!

We Are The United States of the Offended !

Message was edited by: Greenwar®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic