Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
bridge program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

bridge program

Feb 4, 2020, 12:25 PM

Any T-netters with advise or feedback about the Clemson Bridge program? I'd love to hear it.
I'm out of state and my son just got a bridge offer for biological science major.

thanks in advance. Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I have a relative who's a freshman in it right now.....

Feb 4, 2020, 12:31 PM

and she's doing real well. Is getting good grades and doing the things that will result in her becoming a regular student this fall.

She and her parents feel it's a good program and worth it.

I have several friends..

Feb 4, 2020, 12:33 PM

whose kids went through Clemson's bridge program. Highly recommended.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Absolutely 100% accept. DO NOT WAIT

Feb 4, 2020, 12:34 PM

Your son will spend a year taking class at Tri-County Tech but then (if his grades are good enough) will become a full Clemson student in year 2. It was the only way Clemson could expand admissions quickly. Your son will have a Clemson diploma when he graduates that is the exact same as if he started at Clemson.

Don't wait too long to accept because they will fill up fast and just because you were accepted, doesn't mean they will hold a spot.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Absolutely 100% accept. DO NOT WAIT

Feb 4, 2020, 12:38 PM

And will save a ton of money

Re: Absolutely 100% accept. DO NOT WAIT

Feb 4, 2020, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Absolutely 100% accept. DO NOT WAIT ]

Good advice to jump on it Quickly, it fills up fast!

Re: bridge program

Feb 4, 2020, 12:38 PM

I'm from out of state as well. Had 2 kids go to Clemson. First went in with AP Credits as a sophomore and got outta state waived. Second child did bridge which helped immensely with the cost for the first year. I think people have a stigma about "bridge" that is moronic. I personally thought it was the best thing for my second child who by the way has her Doctorate now from Emory. So let your son know you CAN get there from bridge. I also appreciated that my daughter couldn't rush for sorority while "bridging." In the end, all that matters is they both have degrees from Clemson and they both got jobs right away.

Message removed by Author

Feb 4, 2020, 12:41 PM

Message removed by Author

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be true even if you were accepted to Clemson,

Feb 4, 2020, 12:50 PM

or any 4-year college. Clemson, 1-year Bridge in, 2-year Tech school transfer in, aside from the money, all provide very different experiences. Just what you want from that experience and how important it is to you would be a huge factor.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I had 3 kids all go to community college

Feb 4, 2020, 1:00 PM

2 graduated ChemE and one graduates with BS in Comp Sci in may but is in a BS/MS program where his credits count for both degrees this semester. All three have been highly recruited and all had high paying internships for 1 or 2 years in summer.

As a family we saved about 12,000 per year per kid for room and board and another $7,000 a year per kid per year for tuition or over $140,000. Their degrees are the same. They all graduated magna ### laude.

Definitely taking Chemistry and Calculus and Physics in small classes at the community college seems to be an advantage. Staying home two more years was definitely an advantage. They were able to go from home to off campus (cheaper) with no issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally, I'm all for that route. I went to Greenville

Feb 4, 2020, 1:40 PM

Tech for 2 years myself. Oldest daughter started out in Bridge, then tranferred to College of Charleston mid-year. She later pointed out exactly what we are talking about here, that two years of community college makes a huge financial difference, with the same exact outcome in the end. I'm just pointing out that it may be worth it for non-finacial reasons for some people to pay the extra dough and do a full 4 years at Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I had 3 kids all go to community college

Feb 4, 2020, 8:52 PM [ in reply to I had 3 kids all go to community college ]

My daughter also did 2 years at community college before transferring into Clemson. She also graduated magna ### laude from Clemson last spring, missed summa by one B in one course her last semester (by 1 point). Saved tons of $. She firmly believes to this day that community college coursework was harder than her Clemson coursework.

Re: SCAM!!

Feb 4, 2020, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

not a 'SCAM, Clemson takes few transfer students, its harder to get in as a transfer.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SCAM!!

Feb 4, 2020, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

I'm really happy that I don't have a child that is a student of yours. That's probably the most narrow minded advice that I've ever heard someone give to students. And your spelling/grammar is very poor.

Feb 4, 2020, 12:56 PM

Do it immediately if fills up fast. Kids live on campus and bus to tri county and are in clemson in one year. My son did it. He is glad he is at clemson and it was "almost" like being a full time student. Quality of freshman year is very good at tri-county. Can always reverse if dont do for low cost but its first come first get in.

Feb 4, 2020, 1:06 PM

I would write the check before I even read another post

Feb 4, 2020, 1:07 PM

My niece did it and is graduating this May and will go to MUSC for a grad degree. I think the program worked well for her and the place she lived while on bridge was very nice. I think all the bridge students lived in the same place at the time. It may still be the same but I am not sure.

Feb 4, 2020, 1:07 PM

The bridge program is good in that it helps students get a great start and be successful.

Two daughters went through Bridge...One is about to graduate

Feb 4, 2020, 1:15 PM

with her Masters and the other is a Junior. Their older sister was accepted straight into Clemson so we've had them enter Clemson both ways. We'd do it again in a heartbeat but thank God we're almost done with paying for colleges :). I'd 100% accept since the Bridge Program is highly selective also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two daughters went through Bridge...One is about to graduate

Feb 4, 2020, 1:42 PM

Jump on the bridge program without hesitation. Clemson has very high standards and only accept a small percentage of their applications as most of you know. The bridge program can get you in the door.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two daughters went through Bridge...One is about to graduate

Feb 4, 2020, 2:02 PM

Act fast as my son completed the Bridge program and graduated in 4 years. All of his roommates that didn’t Bridge are just now graduating. Harvard on the hill(TCTC) did an excellent job preparing my son for the study habits needed to graduate from Clemson. Also, try and take advantage of summer school sessions their first two years especially if they sign a year lease for house or apartment after their freshman year. Send in the check now!!!

Feb 4, 2020, 2:21 PM

i just finished reading about this very thing. Go for it! Any way to get to CU now a days is the way to go. Its a tough school to get accepted to especially for out of state students. A CU degree is a resume popper for sure!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 2:39 PM

Thanks for all your comments. MUCH APPRECIATED. I have a BSME and MSME in mechanical engineering from Clemson that has served me well over the years.

Feb 4, 2020, 7:32 PM

It is an excellent program. If your son is focused and motivated they will give him all of the help he needs to successfully transition to the university.

Feb 4, 2020, 7:48 PM

send in your deposit now!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 9:10 PM

My daughter did the bridge 4 years ago . If the student has a 2.5 gpa you were automatically in to Clemson after your Freshman year at Tri County. She had a Clemson id and all privileges of a Clemson student just went to Tri County for classes and loved it. Back then they stayed at High Point They only took 800 students into the bridge program and it filled up in less than a week back then. I highly recommend it but better accept quickly or lose the chance to get in to Clemson . Go Tigers

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic