Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
does the money matter?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 98
| visibility 51

does the money matter?

Oct 22, 2014, 10:55 AM

Dabo Swinney is 3-10 vs. FSwho and SCU since taking over.

We are 1-6 since hiring the highest paid OC in college football.

discuss

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I think you are missing the point here, york.

Oct 22, 2014, 10:57 AM

We routinely embarrass teams like Wake Forest, Syracuse, and NC State.

You act like we lose the 2 most important games of the season on a regular basis.

Geez.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Rule #1 of the perma-disgruntled:Every team we beat "sucked"***

Oct 22, 2014, 11:01 AM

null

who said that?***

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Who said what?***

Oct 22, 2014, 11:03 AM

null

Re: Who said what?***

Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 AM

that every team we beat sucked?

just wondering if you were talking about the op.... no worries

The Perma-disgruntled.***

Oct 22, 2014, 11:05 AM

null

Re: I think you are missing the point here, york.

Oct 22, 2014, 8:01 PM [ in reply to I think you are missing the point here, york. ]

is 5 years in a row not regular enough for you?

No better than beating them then losing to Duke and Wake.

Oct 22, 2014, 11:00 AM

What's the answer? Do we have worse coaching with better recruiting than the Bowden era?

We actually have better coaching and better recruiting....

but so does FSU and $CU which in no way excuses Dabo's record against them.

In fact, we seem to find ways to lose to them even when we are clearly the better team (i.e., $CU last year (among others) and FSU this year).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: No better than beating them then losing to Duke and Wake.

Oct 22, 2014, 7:37 PM [ in reply to No better than beating them then losing to Duke and Wake. ]

I seriously think that we held on to Bowden too long . Both of those programs were down and in rebuild mode . It took Spur 6 yrs. to turn it around at that lower state school. Don't panic just yet .

Yes!!!

Oct 22, 2014, 11:03 AM

signed bob

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Good thing LSU doesn't fire Les Miles

2-5 in the last 7 games against Alabama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

oh ... i didn't say fire anybody at all

Oct 22, 2014, 11:06 AM

just wondering what the expectations should be...

not sure your comparison is quite the same, tho

Why isn't it the same?

Oct 22, 2014, 11:07 AM

LSU is losing to top level teams.

Clemson is losing to top level teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

LSU has also played for the natty 3 times in the past

Oct 22, 2014, 11:20 AM

11 years

i get what you're saying... but we're fooling ourselves if we don't think our seasons are defined by beating FSwho and UCS...

that's not taking anything away from other wins, or saying those games don't matter.... That's saying Dabo conquered those demons, and it's no longer an issue

at some point, you take the next step

Message was edited by: york_tiger®

Re: Good thing LSU doesn't fire Les Miles

Oct 22, 2014, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Good thing LSU doesn't fire Les Miles ]

I didn't think Miles was very popular? Don't most LSU fans feel like he's holding them back?

Most LSU fans haven't sobered-up yet from the 07 season...

Oct 22, 2014, 11:12 AM

and are in no position to be making decision or operating heavy machinery.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The hires have improved the Clemson program since 2011. So,

yes the money matters. Dabo has done a lot with the money. He has even used his money to add to his staff's salaries because he believe's in this program. FSU and USuC will fall to us soon and it will pay off even more in the years to come.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: does the money matter?

Oct 22, 2014, 11:05 AM

Dabo makes less than Jimbo and Spurrier. Maybe we have to pay him more before he is willing to beat them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree.. talking about the staff as a whole

Oct 22, 2014, 11:07 AM

cents there's been a lot of posts about salaries, etc.. lately

Re: agree.. talking about the staff as a whole

Oct 22, 2014, 11:30 AM

I would say look for improvement year to year not instantaneous results when it comes to the money. The South Carolina game is TBD and we took FSU to overtime on the road, so it's possible that this year ends much better than 0-2 with a complete embarrassment in Death Valley.

I would also ask that before jumping to our staff or specifically Morris is overpaid, people offer a sincere suggestion for how the money could be better spent. My personal thoughts are that we need to spend a little money on a dedicated special teams coach, and when Chad Morris does decide to leave we promote Jeff Scott but don't pay him the same money.

i'm not suggesting jumping on, or firing anyone

Oct 22, 2014, 11:36 AM

i'm just asking if we should expect better than the numbers provided given what we pay or staff

no more, no less

Re: i'm not suggesting jumping on, or firing anyone

Oct 22, 2014, 11:42 AM

I think the coaches expect better and are pushing the program to better. With a long term sustainable plan. I think they have earned our support.

"earned support" - yes

Oct 22, 2014, 11:55 AM

"long term sustainable plan" - please explain.. does that include being ahead of both FSwho and SCU and them passing us? Playing possum with them?

Re: i'm not suggesting jumping on, or firing anyone

Oct 22, 2014, 11:42 AM [ in reply to i'm not suggesting jumping on, or firing anyone ]

I wasn't aiming that second point towards you and to elaborate on my first point; wait and see. We've closed the gap significantly on FSU and some of the other national brands. If two years down the road we don't have another conference championship, I think we start questioning the direction of the program.

Message was edited by: cac2011®

define "closed the gap"?

Oct 22, 2014, 11:45 AM

1-8 over the last 9 with FSwho and USC is closing the gap?

you could argue that about 5 years ago, we were ahead of both programs. So are you saying they passed us, now we are trying to catch back up?

The distance between is now smaller?

Oct 22, 2014, 12:00 PM

Keep in mind that as proud of our recruiting as we are, our string of top-15 classes; FSU, Alabama, Florida, and Ohio State have finished in the top 10 (I think top 7 technically) each of the last four years. In that time, we've beaten FSU and Ohio State, Florida imploded and we finished above Alabama in 2013.

Yes, we have seen returns on the investment in our coaching staff at or above what was expected.

doesn't answer the question

Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 PM

why are we in a position where we have to "close the gap" on two schools that, 5 years ago, we owned?

I'm not bashing or calling for heads... i just don't understand the "we're making progress" argument.

We were ahead of them, under Dabo... they made coaching changes, and we are behind them now.

FSU had some down years

Oct 22, 2014, 12:12 PM

because they held on to Bowden too long. FSU still tremendous advantages from their national brand.

so those 5 outta 7 we won, including our ACCC was

Oct 22, 2014, 12:14 PM

due to them holding on to Bowden too long?

More than a little bit

Oct 22, 2014, 12:18 PM

Yes

Wait, didn't we beat FSU like 5 out of 7 years at one point?

Oct 22, 2014, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: i'm not suggesting jumping on, or firing anyone ]

Why all of a sudden are we having to close the gap on them?

And don't get me started on the Gamecocks. They blew past us like we were sitting still.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

that's my point... this isn't the early Bowden years

Oct 22, 2014, 11:52 AM

we were ahead of both programs, and suddenly we're down 3-10

Since FSU joined the ACC

Oct 22, 2014, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Wait, didn't we beat FSU like 5 out of 7 years at one point? ]

they won 14 ACC championships (and three NCs) to Clemson's 1 (2011). So yeah, I think they might have been ahead of us

Yes, they were. But we passed them. And somehow let them

Oct 22, 2014, 12:13 PM

leapfrog us again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because FSU is a national brand.

Oct 22, 2014, 12:21 PM

Jimbo immediately had a number one recruiting class. You can't fault Dabo, Morris or Clemson because Florida State became Florida State again.

i don't disagree with that

Oct 22, 2014, 12:23 PM

but who's at fault for 3-10 against FSU and SCU since '08?

the talent at Clemson is more than enough to compete with FSU, and you know that.

Re: i don't disagree with that

Oct 22, 2014, 12:50 PM

I think somebody else in this thread points this out, but you can't evaluate our coaches compensation solely on these two games. Yes, they are important games (especially FSU) but the broader picture matters as well.

i've admitted that.... i think Dabo has done a great job of

Oct 22, 2014, 12:53 PM

reversing that "lose a game we shouldn't" trend, as evidenced by the streak...

but 3-10 in what is the most important 2 regular season games, each year... ain't gettin it done...

and you and me both know those are the two biggies.

Re: i've admitted that.... i think Dabo has done a great job of

Oct 22, 2014, 1:07 PM

It's definitely a fair argument to make. At some point, the coaching staff needs to get over that hurdle and win an ACC championship. For $4.3 million, that's definitely expected of them. I think the issue now is the when. My personal take is that overall the team and program are still on the rise and our money is well spent. In the next year or two, if Clemson is favored in those games and still loses, my opinion will change.

Re: i've admitted that.... i think Dabo has done a great job of

Oct 22, 2014, 1:10 PM

good post

To be honest with you--it's not the money (although the

Oct 22, 2014, 11:09 AM

money is a part of it) BUT it is the change in attitude to the football program since the BOT decided Barker's philosophy on just being competitive was not what Clemson football was all about. Glad we have strong leaders on our BOT who are making sure our football program gets what it needs on many levels.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i don't disagree with any of that

Oct 22, 2014, 11:12 AM

just wondering when we see the results

Results? Have we not seen then since 2011?

Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 AM

1) First ACC Conference Crown in 20+ years
2) First major and only BCS bowl in 20+ years
3 First back to back to back 10 win+ seasons with an opportunity to add to this this year
4) Recruiting at the highest level with a currently number 2 ranked class
5) Victories over LSU, Auburn, Georgia, and Ohio State
6) Numerous hot NFL players bringing glory to Clemson
7) A clean program with the highest expectations.

The money and effort has paid off.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

i get what you're saying.... but we're all fooling ourselves

Oct 22, 2014, 11:17 AM

if we don't think reaching the "next level" depends on beating FSU, (and SCU)...

losing games we aren't supposed to isn't an issue anymore... Dabo conquered that

We are better than FSU at the moment. We should have beat

Oct 22, 2014, 11:21 AM

them. We have them in the Valley next year and without JW we win flat out. We will beat USuC this year in the Valley. Will that be the next level?

you are basing your entire position on

Oct 22, 2014, 11:22 AM

1. saying we're better than a team we just lost too

2. saying we will beat a team in Nov. that has won the last 5

#####?

Just my opinion based on the eye test at FSU and the eye

Oct 22, 2014, 11:24 AM

test right now on watching Clemson and USuC. I thought for several years we were not going to match up with USuC 2010-2012. Last year we matched up but turnovers killed us. I think this year we catch them.

+1... Good start......***

Oct 22, 2014, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Results? Have we not seen then since 2011? ]

No

Oct 22, 2014, 11:13 AM

Nobody's happy losing to FSU or USuCk but they have been top ten for several years now. Who else would beat us?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so will settle for 30% b/c they're good too?

not a bash...

just askin

Re: so will settle for 30% b/c they're good too?

Oct 22, 2014, 11:17 AM

I'll take 1 out of 4 at this point. Let's start somewhere.

It absolutely does. If our coaching staff's combined

salaries are in the Top 5 or 10 in the country, I would expect similar results on the field. And will beating a bunch of unranked teams somehow get us back in the top 10? If so, I guess we should be happy?

It does to wives.

Oct 22, 2014, 11:18 AM

Since most have them, I am going to answer

YES

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2014, 11:31 AM

York since you like serious questions let me ask you one? Would you rather be an FSU fan right now( with their NC, recruiting, undefeated record, beating us several times, Jameis Winston, Jimbo Fisher and all that their program represents) or have Dabo, Morris, Veneables and our national image? Our results on and off the field. Which would you prefer?

why are you changing the subject and what does that have to

Oct 22, 2014, 11:34 AM

do with anything?

I love what Dabo has built our program into and what we stand for... absolutely.

But there's a lot of Dabo's out there, and a lot of program that are run as clean as Clemson. I don't subscribe to the notion that we have to choose one or the other.

My post doesn't condone what goes on at FSwho in anyway... so don't act like it does.

hold on

Oct 22, 2014, 11:37 AM

It is a fair point to recognize that in addition to wins and losses our program is excelling in the classroom and life. You could argue that maybe we could have spent less money or picked up a few extra wins if we had been willing to cut corners.

i don't think you can argue that...what are we talking about

Oct 22, 2014, 11:40 AM

here?

It's not secret Dabo and co have done a tremendous job keeping our program clean... but I don't think the reason is b/c we pay our staff so much.

It's like the streak of wins against unranked teams.... Dabo has conquered that demon, but it's time to beat the teams that make or break our season.

I don't buy into the notion that we'll settle for 2nd in the ACC b/c we run a clean ship.

Oct 22, 2014, 11:34 AM

Our program is a lot better than it has been for about 25 years. Are we where i want them to be? heck no. We will start beating SC again. Should we have beaten them in the last six years? Yes, some of the past few years we should be about 3 and 3. Same with FSU. We just haven't put it all together and won the games. We will soon. I feel like we are capable of beating anybody we play and it has been a long time since we have been in the position we are now. With the lineman we have coming in this year, we will be better in the future. FSU has top recruits every year and we are now doing the same thing. We are getting there!

It will take care of itself soon enough

Oct 22, 2014, 12:07 PM

I fully expect to beat the chickens this year. I also believe the best run in their pathetic program is nearing it's end and Spurrier will be leaving that dump sooner than later. When that happens, I expect that we'll instantly out recruit for the best talent in-state, which is the only area in recruiting where we've been lacking. I see this rivalry flipping regardless. As for the Semiholes, I see them on major probation in the near future. It might not have anything to do with Winston. Jimbo has proven that he'll do ANYTHING to win, so I'm sure that carries over to recruiting as well. Meanwhile during this vision I have, we'll have the best quarterback in the nation.

Oct 22, 2014, 12:11 PM

if you want to gripe, facts don't matter. this link says we are getting a bargain with swinney. Maybe OP can endow a coaching position to put our head coach in the top 15. you get what you pay for, except internet gurus are complaining about Clemson getting more than it pays for with Swinney.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/30/5857786/2013-college-football-coaches-salaries-wins

link where i complained about Swinney?

Oct 22, 2014, 12:13 PM

link where I've ever bashed anyjuan on our staff?

All i did was post the records and asked for discussion. We have a top 5 paid staff, which is what I was referring to.

Why do guys like you reply to topics and just make shyatt up?

Re: link where i complained about Swinney?

Oct 22, 2014, 12:30 PM

what are you willing to do? It's a simple question. I give a certain amount. I participate when asked to. I am happy. You are unhappy. What are you willing to do? It seems that there are two courses of action

(1) do more
(2) cut ties and move on

your option (3) litter a message board with utter bullsh--, ramblings and rants from an acerbic yet thin skinned self appointed prophet of Clemson, doesn't accomplish anything.

i think you're confused on the meaning of

Oct 22, 2014, 12:35 PM

"participate in debate"

it doesn't mean attack in your first post... when no on attacked you or anyjuan else

Re: i think you're confused on the meaning of

Oct 22, 2014, 12:40 PM

I am not confused and this is not a debate. critics don't count. people with a walter mitty sense of ownership of a message board can't handle what they dish out.

you wanna post that link.. from anywhere in my post history

Oct 22, 2014, 12:42 PM

that i've ever attacked a coach or player?

Re: you wanna post that link.. from anywhere in my post history

Oct 22, 2014, 1:14 PM

Waiting...

better grab a pillow***

Oct 22, 2014, 1:16 PM

Re: better grab a pillow***

Oct 22, 2014, 5:57 PM

i am waiting on one of you two who may be the same person to answer the three options question. What do you do

1) do more - give more money, be more involved
2) cut ties

3) constantly complain on a message board that you have hijacked for a feeling of importance when you obviously don't matter

What yields results?

Nice link but even still...

Oct 22, 2014, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: does the money matter? ]

David Cutcliffe $179,226 per win

Dabo Swinney $231,820 per win

Re: Nice link but even still...

Oct 22, 2014, 1:06 PM

What a dumb post. How much do think the Gameday coverage was worth last year? Name the last time Cutcliffe had that type of coverage or Orange Bowl coverage. If you run a business you know that revenue streams are vital. Dabo has a far greater ROI than Cutcliffe could ever dream about. Stop proving that you don't know much and only want to whine and type cute little words.

you're right....

Oct 22, 2014, 1:08 PM

despite all those advantages, Cutliff is only one division championship behind Dabo

Oct 22, 2014, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Nice link but even still... ]

Yeah bob, didn't you know that revenue streams are vital to running a business? As Clemson's football coach, Dabo is basically the owner of a business. Try to keep up.

Oct 22, 2014, 1:15 PM

That's been Bob's argument. I've asked and there is a slow learners board available if you'd like the address?

Oct 22, 2014, 1:24 PM

Don't hurt yourself. I first want to see the link to bob making some kind of arbitrary argument about revenue streams. All I saw was a basic raw figure relating salary to win totals. Send that link over TIA

I don't think he knows the difference between "revenue

Oct 22, 2014, 1:27 PM

streams" and ROI...

Re: I don't think he knows the difference between "revenue

Oct 22, 2014, 1:28 PM

That's not surprising considering he makes it a point to talk about "business" every chance he gets..bound to slip up eventually. I remember my first undergrad management class.

Oct 22, 2014, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Nice link but even still... ]

I think it's sweet that you feel the need to defend Bob. You could start by asking him if he was discussing the importance of ROI.

It's also cute that you put tia. To have your little inside codes is very impressive.

Link

Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16055448

Oct 22, 2014, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Nice link but even still... ]

Yes, the ever-clandestine "Thanks In Advance" is only used among me and Bob. I'm sorry to make you feel out of the loop.

Do you have any more fun buzzwords like "revenue streams" to prove that you totally know what you're talking about?

If you run a business you know that even more vital than

Oct 22, 2014, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Nice link but even still... ]

revenue streams is net cash flow.

Not saying that has anything to do with the OP... just pointing that out.

Re: If you run a business you know that even more vital than

Oct 22, 2014, 1:12 PM

It seems like you're implying that it costs more to run Clemsons FB program than it does to run Duke's FB program.

Where are you getting your bogus information?

Pulled that juan out of the air***

Oct 22, 2014, 1:13 PM

Re: If you run a business you know that even more vital than

Oct 22, 2014, 1:19 PM [ in reply to If you run a business you know that even more vital than ]

I should have realized your short term cash flow approach. A big successful elite business looks at a lot more than cutting costs. Cutcliffe has Wallace Wade PACKED every game right?

Without positive net cash flow there won't

Oct 22, 2014, 1:21 PM

be a long-term.

And no, Wallace Wade is not packed. Will take time to change the culture there.

what numbers are you using to suggest Dabo's long term

Oct 22, 2014, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: If you run a business you know that even more vital than ]

plan is working? Again, not calling for anybody's head.

is it the 0-5 vs. SCU?

is it the 1-4 vs. FSU

is it the 3-10 against them combined?

is it the streak against unranked opponents?

just curious

York, name all the coaches/coaching staffs that IYO

Oct 22, 2014, 1:29 PM

have done a better job than CDS and co over the same period of time.

I'm assuming you will list staffs from:
SCU
FSU
Bama

Who else?

Not sure who you are comparing Clemson/CDS to. Gosh until we go 19-0 every year I guess there will be room for improvement. And no, they are not perfect.

What other schools are we chasing over the same period of time?

I didn't say they were doing a terrible job

Oct 22, 2014, 1:44 PM

I said they've done terrible against our 2 biggest rivals.

Name the coaches that are 3-10 against their instate rival and biggest conference rival

My point, going back to your OP

Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM

is that yes I think the money is well-spent at this point relative to all other programs in CFB.

Perfect? Of course not. Dayum good? Yep.

Why only point out records against FSU and SCU

Oct 22, 2014, 12:35 PM

and not include our record against LSU, UGA, Auburn, Ohio St, and VT during the same time period?

seriously?

Oct 22, 2014, 12:40 PM

FSU makes or breaks the ACC for us, you know that

SCU is, well, SCU

No I'm not questioning the inclusion of those teams

Oct 22, 2014, 12:43 PM

I'm questioning your omission of the others.

Again if you are looking at the entire body of work for CDS you cannot omit the others.

Bass sick lee, wins against FSU and SCAR mean

Oct 22, 2014, 12:46 PM

championships. FSU = ACC championship and SCAR = state championship.

Which are two of Dabo's goals.

How about win a bowl game and

Oct 22, 2014, 12:47 PM

win the opener. Also two of Dabo's goals.

LSU, Auburn, Ohio St

not a knock on Dabo... he concquered that demon

Oct 22, 2014, 12:49 PM

he's winning the games he's supposed to

at some point you gotta do better than 3-10 though

Well I agree. BUT, riddle me this

Oct 22, 2014, 12:59 PM

what coaching staffs have done a BETTER overall job than CDS and co over the same time period? And remember when comparing that the current group at CU has ONLY been together for the period of time, not an incumbent group like at Bama that may have been around awhile prior.

Bama, FSU, SCU. Who else?

This will probably answer your question on whether or not the money matters. If we have a top 5 pay group that is being outperformed by 15 schools consistently...maybe we have a problem.

If we agree that we have a group in the top 10 with top 5 pay, I think that's ok.

FSU may have been one of the best teams to play collegiate

Oct 22, 2014, 1:28 PM

football last year and USuCk has experienced a tremendous amount of success over the past few season with talent and various positions. Morris wasn't here for all of those losses and he doesn't have all the pieces for his offense to click right now. The offensive line issues aren't his fault.

Yes there may have been a USuCk team like last year or the year before last when we may have had a chance to win...but that's football. I highly doubt any of this talk of Morris' salary will continue in the seasons to come. We're building something special...

Oct 22, 2014, 9:46 PM

We are not getting our money's worth.

Replies: 98
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic