Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You cool w/ teams letting guys travel who quit for NFL?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 2,591

You cool w/ teams letting guys travel who quit for NFL?

Jan 2, 2019, 9:36 AM

Seems teams are allowing guys who decide not to play in bowl games to protect their NFL futures to travel with their teams to the bowl games, let them stand on the sidelines, and get the bowl swag.

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I think a player should forfeit his ability to reap the same benefits of his teammates who are laying it on the line in a bowl game if he is healthy and decides not to play to protect his NFL future. There should be some sort penalty for putting yourself above the team (right or wrong) shouldn't there? On the other hand, I think a guy should be rewarded for playing in the regular season which is directly responsible for the team being invited to the bowl game in the first place.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You cool w/ teams letting guys travel who quit for NFL?

Jan 2, 2019, 9:42 AM

What is right or best for the team's character is often second place to recruiting. Coaches allow this so there is no reason for a recruit to eliminate them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: You cool w/ teams letting guys travel who quit for NFL?***

Jan 2, 2019, 9:45 AM

I don't like it, and I can't see the other players liking it

Jan 2, 2019, 9:43 AM

either. If I were a coach, I would not allow it, just from the distraction standpoint. And, I don't care who the coach is, they have got to be at least a little bitter about developing guys for all those years, and then having the guy put himself before the team. (Although none would come out and say this, would not be politically correct in these Snowflake times.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't like it, and I can't see the other players liking it

Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 AM

You are on the team and you do what the teams does. The minute you are not doing what the team does because it’s your personal choice, you are no longer on the team. This new age quasi team-ish sorta garbage makes my blood boil.

Ed Zachary.

Jan 2, 2019, 9:54 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm fine with it, those players have given everything

Jan 2, 2019, 9:45 AM

they have to the program for 3, 4 or 5 years. They battled all year for their school. Let them go to the bowl game with their teammates and friends.

I also don't have a problem with the players who decide not to play. If he's already projected to be a 1st round pick, there's no reason to risk a significant injury.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I'm not disagreeing with you, but if you're scared of a

Jan 2, 2019, 9:49 AM

significant injury, why just sit out a bowl game? Why not sit out the last 2-3 games (or more) of the season? You could suffer a significant injury in any game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I'm not disagreeing with you, but if you're scared of a

Jan 2, 2019, 10:04 AM

In the regular season you could argue that you still have something to play for, with that being either a CFP berth, division title, beating your rival, or at least which bowl game you'll make. Also, if you're hurt in the regular season you have more time to get healthy before the draft. These bowl games are nearly a month, or sometimes more than a month after the end of the regular season which gives the players much less time to heal.

I don't see why everyone is so upset as if this is a new thing. The players officially sitting out the games is certainly new, but we've seen many teams get upset or blown out in bowl games over the years and seen it credited to players having their eyes on the NFL draft. I'd much rather have a player on my team be up front about wanting to get ready for the draft instead of playing in the game, but not giving a crap which causes the team to suffer on the field. At least you figure the backup is going to be hungry to show what he can do, and at least that player gets experience for the next season assuming he's not a senior.

I think it's easy to say we'd all give it 110% for the bowl game, but picture being a college athlete/student. The regular season is over, school is over, it's the holiday season, you're only months away from reaching your dream and making millions of dollars, but you're being asked to give 110% to play a 7-5 team in the Belk Bowl in front of 400 fans.

Ive got no problem with that either.

Jan 2, 2019, 11:53 AM [ in reply to I'm not disagreeing with you, but if you're scared of a ]

Like any other student.. when you want to leave, leave.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Yep, I predict that guys will start laying out in October

Jan 2, 2019, 12:14 PM [ in reply to I'm not disagreeing with you, but if you're scared of a ]

as soon as the team they are on builds up a few losses, and aiming for "meaningless" bowl game, the agents will tell them to be done with free football.

Its coming.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 9:46 AM

Once you decide to sit out, you should be off the team.

Jan 2, 2019, 9:53 AM

Not cool

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 10:02 AM

I've got no problem with a player sitting a game out to get ready for the NFL draft/combine/whatever. But shouldn't that player be getting ready for the draft/combine/whatever instead of taking 2/3 weeks just hanging around practice and traveling to the meaningless bowl game?

Doesn't seem like the player is really committed towards bettering himself for the draft if he's being a cheerleader on the sideline.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. It's kind of like letting ND be in the conference

Jan 2, 2019, 10:06 AM

and not.

Yes***

Jan 2, 2019, 10:08 AM

I don't like the idea but I do think that if it happened at

Jan 2, 2019, 10:10 AM

Clemson, then Dabo would support the player's decision.

I hope that we never have to find that out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't like the idea but I do think that if it happened at

Jan 2, 2019, 11:03 AM

Keep making the playoffs and we won't.??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 10:11 AM

I’m ok with players not playing but the school shouldn’t take them to the bowl game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jan 2, 2019, 10:12 AM

No I’m not. If a player QUITS for any reason other than health they should not be allowed with the team after that. They should not be allowed in the practice facility, practice fields or travel with the team. Just like Dabo sent Cain and the Lapik home after repeated failed Clemson administered drug test from the Orange Bowl. The only reason Dexter and the others traveled and most probably will travel again is the fact that Dabo believes these players when they say they didn’t take anything or change their habits. There is no connection between the three, other than they all play for Clemson. These guys would give anything to be able to play and the other ones quit

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jan 2, 2019, 11:05 AM

Plus it is still under appeal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends

Jan 2, 2019, 10:56 AM

I think if the players that are sitting out are still engaged with the team, helping to be another coach to their replacements, and showing that they’re not just using it as an excuse for free party trip, I have no problem with them going.

not cool with it. No bowl gift, no traveling to fun

Jan 2, 2019, 11:02 AM

locations, if you're not actually injured. If health is in question I'm ok with it.

If not you're pretty much kicked off my team.

There are guys in HIGH SCHOOL that would never not want to be on the field with their brothers sacrificing their bodies.

That's another thing that's special about Clemson. We had 3 guys come back that could be getting PAID right now. They played the whole season without having to because our team is like family. They love each other and want to win another one together. Teams like UGA are full of ME ME ME type of guys.

Re: not cool with it. No bowl gift, no traveling to fun

Jan 2, 2019, 11:06 AM

I love all 3 of those guys, and they certainly didn't have to come back. However, it's only speculation to say whether or not they'd all be playing in a bowl game this year had we missed the CFP.

I mean, didn't we recently have a few players saying the team wasn't focused on the CFP game with Bama last year? I know that's not quite the same as not playing, but if players are capable of not being 100% focused on a CFP game against Bama then I don't see any guarantee they'd be all in for a random bowl game below the CFP.

Serious question for those who think the players shouldn't be allowed on the sidelines if they don't play. How is this any different from the numerous former players located on the sidelines at nearly every single game?

because they didn't quit on their teammates?

Jan 2, 2019, 11:04 AM

they came back to visit.. you serious Clark?

Re: because they didn't quit on their teammates?

Jan 2, 2019, 11:11 AM

How many of those guys(not saying anyone particular) may have played in a bowl game in the past, but only played at about 70% of their capability because they had already mentally checked out for the NFL?

I realize we're not likely to agree on this. To me though, these players gave to a program for 3-5 years, and I think it's a bit far to basically blackball them from the program forever because they decided to sit out their final game that wasn't even for a championship.

no, if you quit the team you are not part of the team and

should not be there with them.

Jan 2, 2019, 11:27 AM

schools choice...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 12:09 PM

Everyone has an opinion and most are dumb. Why do any you care, none of your business. But not allowing them around the team or practice,etc is stupid. Does it really matter?No.

Replies: 29
| visibility 2,591
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic