Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
be honest clemson fans!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

be honest clemson fans!!!

May 2, 2018, 8:10 AM

How many thought dabo would be this good of a head coach?
I always liked the fire he had on the sidelines as an assistant coach. And new if given the chance he could motivate a whole team..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: be honest clemson fans!!!

May 2, 2018, 8:17 AM

No one can honestly say they thought Dabo would be this good when he was hired. He has turned out to be arguably the greatest coach in Clemson history and it only took him about 10 years to reach that point.

However, I will say I thought it was a really good hire at the time. I assumed we would keep him a couple of years at a really cheap price while we finished paying off TB and if Dabo didn't work out we would have funds available to go after a really big name coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of us knew he could be. If you knew him well,

May 2, 2018, 8:35 AM

knew his mindset, knew his recruiting skills, listened to his speeches from the first years he came here, knew how he did things, it wouldn't have surprised you. In fact, a very prominent figure in Clemson history, after listening to a talk of his only a few years after he got here, told me that "that guy is going to make a name for himself one day. He gave the best talk I've ever heard." And that man had heard A LOT of talks from a lot of people.

All he needed was a chance, and TD gave it to him, because TD knew what kind of guy he was. Think about it: What man in TD's place would hire a young "nobody", "no-experience", "cheerleader", "WR coach" unless he KNEW what he was capable of?

I did.******

May 2, 2018, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: be honest clemson fans!!! ]

May 2, 2018, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: be honest clemson fans!!! ]

I’d say Dabo is hands down the best coach in Clemson history. Granted, he has a lot at his disposal now that hasn’t been available to past coaches. Either way, he’s got a chance to really go down as an all time college football HC great. He’s built a program built to weather the storm. Not going anywhere anytime soon.

"Arguably" the greatest coach in Clemson history?!?

May 2, 2018, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Re: be honest clemson fans!!! ]

He is easily the best, and it isn't even close.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I knew when he fired Napier.***

May 2, 2018, 8:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: I knew when he fired Napier.***

May 2, 2018, 9:30 AM

That was a telling moment for me. Firing your best friend, and the husband of your wife's best friend told me all I needed to know about Dabo's commitment to success. He is one of a kind!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tha hire afterwards was more important.....

May 2, 2018, 10:41 PM

The Chad had a fire in his belly and I still view him as the best OC we ever had. Every great head coach has had great assistants under him.

Re: Tha hire afterwards was more important.....

May 2, 2018, 10:50 PM

Uh...I guess you forgot about RichRod. The chad crapped the bed in big games

Re: Tha hire afterwards was more important.....

May 2, 2018, 11:15 PM

We lost to some very good USuCk teams...that doesn't mean he wasn't a good coach.

Good grief.

I didn't mention Rich Rod because he coached under TB

May 3, 2018, 6:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Tha hire afterwards was more important..... ]

Although he was an excellent OC the discussion was about Dabo. Tell me again about the Chad who brought in the best QB CU has ever had.

Lots of people.

May 2, 2018, 8:36 AM

But they all knew you always capitalize Clemson and Dabo.

I was very torn...

May 2, 2018, 8:39 AM

about Dabo's hire. On one hand I wanted a "big name" coach, but on the other I remembered how Danny Ford had gotten the job from a similar position and how well that worked out, so I was willing to view it as a good risk. But yes, he has exceeded all my expectations.

Anyone who says they knew he would be this good

May 2, 2018, 9:40 AM

...is fooling themselves.

Someone might have seen his potential.
Someone might have known he'd be this good a man and leader.
Someone might have known he'd represent the school this well.

But for someone to claim they knew he'd reach this level of success (on the field) here at Clemson is simply revisionist thought.

They might have thought it possible, but make no mistake he was a gamble of a hire. It was the right move and a gamble that I supported, but we must admit that it was entirely possible that his skills and passions wouldn't translate to the necessities of the position of head coach.

In short, we took a well-calculated risk and it paid off. Good for us (obviously), and good for Dabo(obviously).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo knew. Next time you see him, ask him.***

May 2, 2018, 10:21 PM

May 2, 2018, 9:46 AM

Dabo surrounded himself with good coaches; one man doesn't do it all. Dabo is an organizer, a personality kid, and a good leader, all of which, along with good assistants, promotes success in any walk of life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2018, 9:46 AM

I always thought that we were going to hire Bill Cowher (former Pitt Steelers HC). If I recall correctly I think he daughter or someething went to school here so I just knew we were going to hire him.

I am thankful to God that Dabo Swinney is the head coach

May 2, 2018, 9:49 AM

at Clemson University. I was All In from the start with Coach Swinney, but who could have ever imagined what a great leader this man would be ? I pinch myself every now and then to make sure this is not a dream.

James 4:10

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

you asked for honesty and I'll grant your request

May 2, 2018, 9:59 AM

When I saw Who was chosen to be the interim I was very surprised. When he chose his offensive coordinator I was more surprised! I was thinking TB had just gotten off to a slow year but would turn it around as he had a tendency to do. I was taught in business classes in college to never let the CEO on his way out to choose his successor because he would not pick well due to bias. I should've known TB's character was above that. He made the best choice possible at the time and I thank him for it.

Re: you asked for honesty and I'll grant your request

May 2, 2018, 10:10 AM
downloadfile.jpg(117.8 K)

Thank you sir for giving Dabo the chance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Bowden gets too much credit for Dabo being interim

May 2, 2018, 10:06 PM [ in reply to you asked for honesty and I'll grant your request ]

coach. I'm sure he told Terry Don Phillips that he thought Dabo would do a good job, but TDP is the one who made the decision. Plus, based on everything TDP said at the time, he saw amazing potential in Dabo early on and felt that Dabo deserved the opportunity. It makes for a cool story to tell it as if TDP made Dabo interim because of Bowden's recommendation, but in reality, TDP is the one who should get the credit for Dabo being interim coach - and ultimately head coach.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

May 2, 2018, 10:31 AM

Never in my wildest dreams did I see Clemson having this much success with Dabo leading our football program.

I do remember the names tossed around for HC after Bowden left, and three of them were Kiffin, Venables and Muschamp. Does anyone else remember that?

May 2, 2018, 11:39 AM

Yep, those were some of the most common names being discussed as candidates. I’m pretty sure Venables got an interview with TDP. Patterson (TCU), Fulmer, Bud Foster, I think the guy at Air Force were others I remember.

I remember

May 2, 2018, 10:50 AM

We had just beat the Coots and me and the family went to the mall in Raleigh (where we live). I was wearing my Clemson garb proudly walking through Belk when a man said "good game today!" I said "thanks and that its always good to beat our Rival and Spurrier." He then asked me what I thought about our interim coach? I still remember my response to this day: "Dabo? yea he's a good one. good recruiter, good motivator, and if we hire him as our Coach will be a good coach." The guy who I believe was a Wolfpack guy from our conversation looked at me in disbelief. He said "you want them to hire the interim coach?" I said "yes sir! He's going to be a good one"

4 ACC Championships and a National Championship later I say we made the right choice.

May 2, 2018, 10:50 AM

YabaDabadoooooo

ACTUALLY, I thought he’d be better...

May 2, 2018, 10:55 AM

We should have 2 or 3 Natty’s by now!

He’s SLOW WALKING US because he knows how fanatical the Clemson crowd is.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't care***

May 2, 2018, 10:58 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I agreed with the hire at the time. My opinion was based on

May 2, 2018, 11:03 AM

the opinion of a friend of mine (former Clemson player) who knew of Dabo. This friend told me that Dabo had the drive and attitude to get it done and would be gangbusters on the recruiting trail.

I would have never imagined though that The Tigers would be one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country for several years running...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't have a clue

May 2, 2018, 12:08 PM

Who Dabo Swinney was...had never heard his name? I'd gotten to where I wasn't even following the season much after the Bama meltdown.

After the fight at the end of the Coot game in, was it '04 (?), I had emailed TDP in support of his decision to forgo a bowl bid, as I was disgusted by the scene. He surprised me be responding with a thank you note, admitting it was a tough decision. I had newfound respect for him in taking that time to write.

Sensing the character TDP had, while admittedly surprised by the interim selection, I figured he saw something the rest of us didn't. I watched Dabo the rest of the year and was impressed...particularly when he busted Zimmerman's butt for not running off the field. After the Spurrier whipping, I was hopeful of Dabo's permanent hiring...and haven't looked back.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2018, 2:16 PM

I knew he was a great recruiter but no experience as head coach

It took him some time to turn it around but once he did WOW

Took us 35 years to get the second one but we may have multiple titles in the future

GO DABO

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic