Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Clemson WR's ranked #6 in the nation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: Clemson WR's ranked #6 in the nation

Aug 16, 2013, 9:02 AM

Clemson WR's ranked #6 in the nation

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Player Update: Clemson WR's ranked #6 in the nation

Aug 16, 2013, 9:04 AM

How is FSU so highly ranked? Didn't they lose like all their receivers, or was this written before that?

I think i read the other day that they return 4 of their top

Aug 16, 2013, 9:53 AM

5 pass catchers.

But not their QB... Will Winston be as good?***

Aug 16, 2013, 9:57 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But not their QB... Will Winston be as good?***

Aug 16, 2013, 11:06 AM

and 3 of those guys have gone down in fall camp

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Winston probably will be better than EJ***

Aug 16, 2013, 2:05 PM [ in reply to But not their QB... Will Winston be as good?*** ]

Yeah, they are pretty deep***

Aug 16, 2013, 1:13 PM [ in reply to I think i read the other day that they return 4 of their top ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Georgia #3

Aug 16, 2013, 9:05 AM

Makes sense as they have a little more production coming back. We just need our young guys to prove it on the field.

Re: Georgia #3

Aug 16, 2013, 9:13 AM

I was a little surprised to see this. I know Clemson's #1 is better than any receiver that we have, but was you get down to two deep, we have a lot of talent in the bucket.

Guess what? Two weeks from tomorrow ... after this Saturday I will treat the next Saturday as an "Open" date ... O' the mind games I can play with myself to make the time pass a little easier. (There is no medication for that ...)

Georgia has some guys coming back who have stats...

Aug 16, 2013, 1:17 PM

But, frankly, they don't have anywhere near the talent that Clemson has at WR, whether you're talking about proven talent in Sammy Watkins, or guys who have some experience but haven't been relied on yet (Bryant and Peake), or highly recruited guys that haven't played (Hopper, Williams).

The main differences I see in Clemson and Georgia's pass- catchers it that Clemson is younger and more talented while Georgia has more guys who had about 300 yards receiving last year.

Re: Georgia has some guys coming back who have stats...

Aug 16, 2013, 2:26 PM

So our receivers aren't anywhere near as talented? many NFL draft analysis' list Watkins as the #2 WR in the 2014 draft. UGA's Malcolm Mitchell comes in at #10. We're not that far off when comparing both teams #1 WR's. Looking at the 2's...Bennett for UGA and Peake both made the Biletnikoff watch list. I'd say those are pretty comparable also. Except that Bennett was injured for a large part of last season and still turned in better numbers than Peake.

I'd say our receiving corps is ranked just about right.

sorta, but not so much talent that they should be #3***

Aug 16, 2013, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Georgia #3 ]

Predict Clemson WR's will be ranked #1 by end of season

Aug 16, 2013, 9:07 AM

if not before!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Martavis Bryant was the sixth guy they mentioned

Aug 16, 2013, 9:09 AM

We'll see how many of these teams are ahead of us in production at the end of the year.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Martavis Bryant was the sixth guy they mentioned

Aug 16, 2013, 9:12 AM

bryant can be number 1 but he still has to nut up and prove it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2013, 9:27 AM

All signs in the offseason have pointed to him doing just that

Aug 16, 2013, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Martavis Bryant was the sixth guy they mentioned ]

I agree with you on that ... pre-season hype is meaningless. New starts will emerge from your WR talent pool. On top of that, you have a QB that can make it happen.

'bamas wr's being that highly ranked is a freaking joke.

Aug 16, 2013, 9:16 AM

if they had been talking rb's, i could agree wholeheartedly with 'bama's high ranking.

They passed for 3000 yds and 30 TDs

Aug 16, 2013, 9:20 AM

Also they bring back all of their recievers.

Re: They passed for 3000 yds and 30 TDs

Aug 16, 2013, 9:29 AM

And we had 3835 yds and 38 TD along with 61 catches of 20+ yds. The only reason other Clemson receivers did not have bigger numbers is because Nuke was the go to guy and that's OK. Tajh with throw for 4000+ yds this year. No doubt in my mind. And a good chance we will have 2 receivers over 1000 yds receiving and another close to 800 yds.

I didn't compare Bama to Clemson at all

Aug 16, 2013, 9:41 AM

They had a good year passing the ball last year and bring back all of their receivers.

We of course through the ball well last year too, but we lost the guy that had 1500 yds receiving and 18 TDs.

Anybody unbiased would pick their receivers over ours at this point in time.

Re: I didn't compare Bama to Clemson at all

Aug 16, 2013, 11:53 AM

> Anybody unbiased would pick their receivers over ours
> at this point in time.

Lolwut? I'll take ours over theirs any day of the week. Our top guys are perfect for our offense. We've got every "type" of receiver we need, and they're all rock solid.

Deep threat guy? Check. Several of them.
Dependable possession receiver? Check.
Scary super-start type guy that can do it all? Check.
Talented depth behind the first 3-4? Check. Game experience included.

that really doesn't tell you anything about them, though

Aug 16, 2013, 1:27 PM

I have no doubt that Alabama bring back a couple more guys with more yards than Bryant and Peake, and more highly regarded than Humphries. However, there probably isn't a better collection of talent than Watkins, Bryant, Peake, and Hopper anywhere in the country, including at Alabama.

Go take a look at what Bama has returning. Their star is Cooper, whose freshman year wasn't quite as good as Sammy Watkins's freshman year. Then they've got a few guys with comparable stats to Bryant and Peake. The only difference I can see is that they've got one more guy with more than 200 yards receiving that returns, plus their RBs.

they seem to rank them based on visibility...

Aug 16, 2013, 1:19 PM [ in reply to 'bamas wr's being that highly ranked is a freaking joke. ]

just as much as talent and proven ability. That might be why they don't seem to know about Bryant or Hopper, but Alabama and Georgia's WRs are ranked highly.

Re: 'bamas wr's being that highly ranked is a freaking joke.

Aug 16, 2013, 1:24 PM [ in reply to 'bamas wr's being that highly ranked is a freaking joke. ]

Have you ever watched Amari Cooper (WR-Bama) play? He is an amazing WR and wins games just like Nuk did for us last year. He gets open as well as any WR I've seen.

That said: I think our WR corp is fantastic, and we spread the ball around a lot more than most teams - 'cause we too deep.

Like Dabo always says...

Aug 16, 2013, 11:02 AM

Preseason don't mean chit!

We will be #1 by the end of the season. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like Dabo always says...

Aug 16, 2013, 2:28 PM

Clemson has as good a chance to run the table as anyone. Get past the puppies and to me the next real hurdle will be Carolina.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic