Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
anyone watching this NC State 30 for 30
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

anyone watching this NC State 30 for 30

Mar 17, 2013, 9:32 PM

pretty good.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: anyone watching this NC State 30 for 30

Mar 17, 2013, 10:02 PM

Yes, I was a freshman at Clemson and can still remember when Charles hit the put back against Houston. Johnstone and I think the whole campus went nuts.

Mar 17, 2013, 10:04 PM

Yep. I live in Raleigh and frequent the bar where the roundtable with the players is being filmed (Players' Retreat). Pretty cool.

Mar 17, 2013, 10:06 PM

Pretty good 30 for 30. Enjoy listening to Jimmy V speak

Jimmy V is one of my favorite coaches of all time***

Mar 17, 2013, 10:07 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the weird thing is how much he was disliked

Mar 17, 2013, 10:19 PM

before the championship, and later on the cancer.

Not watching the show (recording for later)so I don't know if they go into it or not, but he was considered a cheat and a bit of a conniver through most of his career - it got him fired at NCST eventually.

Now he's looked upon as a saint. He was a brave man, no doubt, and deserves the praise.....but I recall the venom most people had towards him for much of his time at NCST.

and don't get me wrong - I admire him tremendously

Mar 17, 2013, 10:31 PM

and was pulling for NCST HARD during their NC run. I remember staying up until like 2am watching them pull some miracle win (back then the late West games tipped at 11:30ET). I still recall where I was and who I watched the final game with - we celebrated like heck after that game.

But the appreciation for him from many, many people didn't start until after his famous ESPN speech.

untimely death turns many people into saints

Mar 17, 2013, 10:43 PM [ in reply to the weird thing is how much he was disliked ]

this special is not only praising the team but making Valvano seem like our modern day St. Francis of Assissi

there was a book written (that I never read) about V

Mar 17, 2013, 10:52 PM

before he got sick. I don't recall most of the stuff mentioned, but I do remember the point shaving scandal and that he was fired in disgrace for multiple issues. I also remember them saying Cozell McQueen couldn't even read. There was no doubt some crazy stuff going on.....

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1989/9/23/scandals-off-the-court-with-jim/

don't forget about Chris Washburn...NOBODY could get

Mar 17, 2013, 11:17 PM

him into school, but Jimmy V got him in school

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually he wasn't implicated for any of the wrong

Mar 17, 2013, 11:21 PM [ in reply to there was a book written (that I never read) about V ]

doing that was stated in the book. State was placed on probation b/c players sold shoes and game tickets. In fact there were 6 different investigations looking into Valvano's program and none of them found any recruiting or financial improprieties.

In the film both Coach K and the lead NCAA investigator claimed Valvano was not a cheater and got a raw deal. In fact the investigator said he sent Valvano a letter to tell him he admired his principals and thought he was a good man and if he had a son would want him to play for Valvano. They also said the "rumors" about the program were out of control and most all were not true, but still were enough to pressure him to resign.

Re: he and K were always very close

Mar 18, 2013, 8:57 AM

seemed like opposites but were apparently very close

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember when 60 mins. followed Duke and Nc State

Mar 17, 2013, 11:16 PM [ in reply to the weird thing is how much he was disliked ]

none of the nc state guys were in class when the camera's showed up

I agree with you, amazing cancer made him a hero, before that he was a cheat/liar and bad for the ncaa

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is excellent ...great story ...brings back memories ...

Mar 17, 2013, 10:43 PM

i can still remember where i was when it happened and just how i reacted .....

that was an awesome show last night

Mar 18, 2013, 8:58 AM

it was great to see the old players today sitting around talking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic