Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
all u 70's and 80's alum: im honestly disappointed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

all u 70's and 80's alum: im honestly disappointed

May 15, 2016, 1:31 PM

our golden era of football is lost because of you. yes, i said its your fault. you didnt cause probation or tv blackout for 4 years. but your respect for rules and lack of determination to do whatever possible to preserve this history is apparent.

if abraham zapruder was recording a video during jfk assasination im sure this technology was around during your time.

why in the world would you not record these games? what a #### shame no one had any balls back then. now ive got to spend the rest of my life trying to find this film if its out there. this makes me sick:

77'- less than 3 games avail
78'- same
79'-a few
80'- usuck game thats it
81'- 4 games. 4!?!? wth!
82'- 2 games, seriously?

82 was 1st year it was even illegal to broadcast. 82-85 basically nothing viewable. someone tell me im incorrect and more footage of this era is out there, because what we have is, ironically, pitiful, for clemson football and our tradition

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

most of them were not even on TV

May 15, 2016, 1:50 PM

there were very few TV games back then, and most people didn't have VCRs until well into the 1980's. We listened to most games on the radio.

In 1981, I went to all the home games and SCAR, so I don't know how many of those were on TV. I know the UGA and SCAR games were on TV, maybe the Wake game was too, not sure. The only away game I remember watching on TV that year was the UNC game.

the 82-83-84 games were shown on tape delay at like 11:30pm.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: most of them were not even on TV

May 15, 2016, 2:02 PM

Thanks, scooter. Ahh, these younguns! I wondered what he expected us to record the games from. ESPN started in '79 and I dont think they started broadcasting college football until thw mid-80's. We hardly had any TV games back then, but I did record a few radio broadcasts.

That was back when phones were tethered to walls with cords, and all you could do with them was talk. I know, crazy, isnt it?

it was ABC or nothing for many decades

May 15, 2016, 2:14 PM

they showed one game, out of 2 or 3 "regional" games per Saturday. That was it, except for Thanksgiving weekend or a special game every once in awhile. Clemson was rarely chosen.

Bowl games were done by others like NBC, CBS, and the famed MIZLOU network (anybody remember them?)

then I recall when cable TV started, TBS and USA Network were the first to start showing college football. ESPN didn't start showing college football until the mid-80's. It was around then the CFA started and multiple networks started showing games.

there just wasn't any college football on TV back then.

Only three games from the 81 regular season were on TV

May 15, 2016, 3:53 PM

and two were road games at Kentucky and UNC. The only home game on TV was the last home game with Maryland. It was crazy the UGa home game was not on TV. I was there, but still crazy the game was not televised. The SCAR game was on closed circuit TV. As was the ACC title game at Marylanf in 1978, and the Notre Dame game in South Brnd in 1979. I watched both of those in Littlejohn, which was s blast.

The OB against Nebraska was of course on TV, but I was there for that one too, but didn't see a replay of that until I received a second generation copy of a VHS tape in 1985, which I still have in s box upstairs.

You are right, it is a whole different world 30 years later. In the 70's and early 80's, ABC had two games on TV every Saturday, and it was dominated by Big Ten, Pac 8, Big 8, SWC, and independents Penn State and Notre Dame.

Alabama was the only consistent SEC team on TV, occasionally UGa. From thr ACC you would see Clemson, especially after 1977, UNC, and Maryland.

Re: all u 70's and 80's alum: im honestly disappointed

May 15, 2016, 2:11 PM

Most of us enjoyed Jim Phillips. Life was pretty good IMO.

:) JK - I get your point. But quite honestly, only the past few years have I had the good fortune to watch the TIGERS play on TV so much. Living in SEC country most of the past 40 years, I knew more about UT, Bama, Ole Miss, Arky, etc than the TIGERS. ACC games weren't even shown where I lived. Very rare indeed.

I think it was 82 and 83 ESPN played all our games on delayed broadcast

May 15, 2016, 2:13 PM

like 11 pm that Saturday night or so.

That's right - I remember seeing them all late night

May 15, 2016, 10:39 PM

I didn't have a VCR back then.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

1977 was the first time in history that the Clemson-SCar

May 15, 2016, 2:19 PM

game was televised. Duke was televised in DV in 1966 and it was a huge occasion!!

Basically, there were almost no Clemson games at all on TV in the late 60s and through the early 70s.

Televised games in those days were a rarity ... especially for Clemson.

We had to go to Littlejohn and watch big games on closed circuit to see wins over Notre Dame and Maryland in 1977.

Even after we became a top program, 3-4 games per year was a still big slate of televised games for us.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1977 was the first time in history that the Clemson-SCar

May 15, 2016, 8:53 PM

I believe the GA game in Death Valley in 1976 was televised but I don't think you would want to watch it. I was there and it wasn't a pretty sight.

You don't want to see any games from 73-76, believe me.

May 15, 2016, 2:26 PM

http://www.orangeandwhitevideo.com/dvds/1980to1985/

see above - games from early 80's

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More like 68 to 76. We were pretty bad.***

May 15, 2016, 5:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1974 was a pretty good year ... 7-4 undefeated @ home

May 15, 2016, 6:44 PM [ in reply to You don't want to see any games from 73-76, believe me. ]

But 1973 and 1975 were pretty dismal to say the least.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tru Dat. "Hootin' for Hootie" was an embarrassment. Then

May 16, 2016, 3:06 PM [ in reply to You don't want to see any games from 73-76, believe me. ]

Red Parker was no better, except for one mediocre year. The "undefeated home season". 6-0 at home, and 1-4 on the road.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i bought my first Betamax around 1984

May 15, 2016, 3:23 PM

And it was crazy expensive. Plus most games weren't on tv. Most games were one PM start like the turn of the paw because they weren't on tv

I bought a VCR in the early 80's

May 15, 2016, 3:37 PM

I was working during the summer to save money to pay for school. My mom relented that I could buy one thing for myself if I saved every penny otherwise. So I decided to buy a VCR, and it cost something like $500. Weighed about 50 pounds and had a big cord running from it to the "remote".

Looked something like this:

this kid probably doesn't know we didn't have internet then***

May 15, 2016, 3:34 PM

Re: this kid probably doesn't know we didn't have internet then***

May 16, 2016, 3:07 PM

What is this "internet" of which you speak? :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2016, 6:03 PM

you can come look at my ticket stub collection if you want

I've got all the games from 68 onward.

May 15, 2016, 6:35 PM

I saw most of them live. Sometimes it was cold, sometimes hot, sometimes wet, more often dry. Sometimes the wind blew hard and was against us. Sometimes the wind was at our backs. The games were all great. We won some great games and everyone remembers the scores and the stars. We lost some great games too. Who could ever forget Rex Varn against Maryland. Yaknow we lost that one but it was a great game. The losses are worth remembering. They made us who we are. As a side note, let me add the girls were gorgeous in the 60s and 70s. Just drop dead gorgeous.

I could not get to a few of the games but I watched them on the radio with a friend of mine named Jim. You probably heard of him.

I have all the Clemson recorded indelibly in my mind. I only share them others who were there.

You know what they say about having the old tapes........

I know they'd never match
my sweet imagination
Everything looks worse in black and white.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Camcorders were not around until 80-s and were BIG at first

May 15, 2016, 7:18 PM

average Joe sitting in stands wasn't going to lug one of those early beasts into the stadium.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2016, 8:39 PM

I seem to recall watching games rebroadcast in either 83 or 84 at night. Don't recall the channel but it was a broadcast channel, not cable for sure.(didn't have cable) Had to be channel 4, 13 or 7. How many remember those days

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on Man

May 15, 2016, 8:49 PM

Very few games were on TV in the 70's and early 80s.
Most people didn't have the in-home technology to record TV until the early 80s.

I've got tons of games on VHS from 1984 forward, which I shared with MBRO. He converted the Clemson Wins to DVD and made them available to others.

I have the Clemson losses on TV as well. Probably, the 88 Clemson/FSU Puntrooskie game is the most famous loss I recorded. Of all the Clemson heartbreaks, that game hurt the worst.

Major Clemson Heartbreaks
1. 1988 FSU (Puntrooskie)
2. 1984 @GA (61 yard Kevin Butler FG)
3. 2004 GT (late 4Q meltdown)

Will never forget the GT meltdown

May 16, 2016, 3:33 PM

Had already left our seats in the West stands because back then you were stuck there for a minimum of 30 minutes and were standing at a portal on the South watching the end of the game.

I can't remember ever watching a team I cared about losing so fast with so little time left. Felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach. Just thinking about it makes me sick.

A great example of how important special teams are.

Oh no, somebody has a disappoint.

May 15, 2016, 10:16 PM

Son, the only movies we had were on the big screen or TV. It would have cost an arm and leg to film a ball game with an 8mm camera. We didn't have disk drives or Sandisk usb drives to store them on. The quality would have been horrible from poor lighting and lenses with which to get a good copy from those distances would have been quite expensive.

Beside that, if we'd have spent a ton making them you'd be pizzing and moaning about the quality.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic