Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
all of disappearing brands due to BLM etc...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 475

all of disappearing brands due to BLM etc...

Jun 18, 2020, 2:40 PM

First, these brands contain great value. That is, the trademarks are worth quite a bit. Its quite amazing to me that the owners of these trademarks appear to be abandoning them.

Second, under trademark law, once you abandon a trademark, you lose all rights in it. If they are truly abandoning the marks, there is nothing under the sun to prevent a new comer from using the mark.

Third, it would be a simple matter for you or I to set up new syrup company and call it Aunt Jemima and instantly acquire some of that goodwill associated with the defunct brand.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how much will my syrup bottle be worth in 10 yrs?***

Jun 18, 2020, 2:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: how much will my syrup bottle be worth in 10 yrs?***

Jun 18, 2020, 2:55 PM

"Aunt xtiger's Maple Syrup"? Depends on the picture you put on it.

If it's a Swedish Bikini model eating pancakes, then quite a lot. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: all of disappearing brands due to BLM etc...

Jun 18, 2020, 2:53 PM

This is true. But in this climate, I'm thinking that brand may not be worth much outside of Mississippi or Alabama. ;)

I would imagine they're keeping the trademark for just that

Jun 18, 2020, 2:54 PM

reason....so someone doesn't go make syrup under their old name. They'll just make a new one, but keep the old one so as to not invite others to abuse their brand. I highly doubt they'd be abandoning the trademarks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, but you have to use the mark in commerce in order

Jun 18, 2020, 2:57 PM

to maintain rights. Maybe they'll have a website where they sell historic products under the name, idk. there are lots of ways of keeping "legacy" rights alive but that stands at odds with their press release.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, it would be dumb to just abandon it.

Jun 18, 2020, 3:00 PM

But it's dumb to change it anyway in many cases. So there's that. Maybe they assume the boycott will be lasting and no one would buy another product under the name. I wouldn't assume that though. I'm sure if you put Strom Thurmond on the SC GOP ballot, he'd probably still beat whoever's running who is actually alive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PepsiCo has good lawyers.***

Jun 18, 2020, 4:25 PM [ in reply to yeah, but you have to use the mark in commerce in order ]

Re: I would imagine they're keeping the trademark for just that

Jun 18, 2020, 2:59 PM [ in reply to I would imagine they're keeping the trademark for just that ]

"Aunt Halle's Maple Syrup" would be some syrup I could get behind.

I bet that tastes good going down***

Jun 18, 2020, 3:02 PM

triggers #MeToo***

Jun 18, 2020, 3:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give it a try. Let us know how it goes***

Jun 18, 2020, 4:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^I think this is the right answer

Jun 18, 2020, 4:44 PM

I like CA's idea but I'm pretty sure a new company--and all involved--that tries to score on brands abandoned for racially sensitive reasons, will be excoriated and never seen again.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

there are a lot of deplorables out there my friend

Jun 18, 2020, 4:46 PM

clinging to their racist rice and syrup

Replies: 13
| visibility 475
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic