Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not a slam dunk?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Not a slam dunk?

May 24, 2012, 8:40 AM

The rumors change daily and I'm sure will continue to...but reading Chip Brown's article this morning put concern in me. He states that Big12 is likely to go to 12 by mid to late June (12.5 if you include ND). The 11th is FSU and now the 12th is a mix of either Clem/GT/Miami. He states FSU does not want to lose the Miami rivalry and may push hard for Big12 to take them. Also claims GT is entering the picture and their draw is the ATL market. Up to today, I really thought it was pretty clear of our chances in Big12 but now, not as confident. Clemson admin has got to be proactive in this and contact Big12 or SEC and say we are ready to jump ship - NOW. An ACC without these schools and if VA Tech goes SEC is just demoralizing to think about.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not a slam dunk?

May 24, 2012, 8:41 AM

I dont even wanna think about a scenerio like that

cu/fsu is 11 & 12. cu lead the charge not fsu. it's a

May 24, 2012, 8:42 AM

done deal in principle...

signed,

the internet

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU and Miami will always play. Like when UM was in the BE

May 24, 2012, 8:43 AM

and FSU in the ACC, that did not stop them then and it would not in the future

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: FSU and Miami will always play. Like when UM was in the BE

May 24, 2012, 8:44 AM

well playing devils advocate here...If your fsu and you do go to the big 12 would you really keep both miami and uf as OOC games....Thats why uf dropped miami

actually, IMO, points to UF being scared

May 24, 2012, 9:34 AM

read a couple months ago that Florida hasnt played a Div 1 OOC opponent during the regular season in over 40 years

Re: actually, IMO, points to UF being scared

May 24, 2012, 9:36 AM

well in their defense they play a tough shcedule in conference and play fsu...makes a lil sense to not play both

they have had a horrible ooc sos, not as bad

May 24, 2012, 9:36 AM [ in reply to actually, IMO, points to UF being scared ]

as vpi's or tejas tech's have been, but bad.

and yes, just like notre dame, they ducked daU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: actually, IMO, points to UF being scared

May 24, 2012, 10:00 AM [ in reply to actually, IMO, points to UF being scared ]

Last time I looked FSU was D-1. DiD I miss something?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

played miami in 2001,2002,2003,2004,2008***

May 24, 2012, 10:32 AM [ in reply to actually, IMO, points to UF being scared ]

depends on the schedule, the # of conf games

May 24, 2012, 8:45 AM [ in reply to FSU and Miami will always play. Like when UM was in the BE ]

required with the looming playoffs, does the nc2a go back to an 11 game schedule to fit in more rounds?

fsu plays UF every year; they don't want to 'lose' daU.

This is true. Hard to keep that schedule + UF and UM***

May 24, 2012, 10:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I'm not worried about that. From all indications, it was

Clemson who brought along FSU, not the other way around. I'm convinced we've been on this since before the advisory board was formed. I believe TDP has been taking the pulse of the situation for over a year. When he started getting encouragement from the Big XII he worked on delivering FSU.

One argument against my own theory, of course, is the fact FSU announced an exploratory committee before we did, I think. Doesn't mean they weren't brought into the discussion by TDP, though.

Message was edited by: David78®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Well, ATL is not considered a major media market, so we can

take that delusion off the table for starters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: Well, ATL is not considered a major media market, so we can

May 24, 2012, 8:48 AM

Atlanta is the 10th ranked market in the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, ATL is not considered a major media market, so we can

May 24, 2012, 8:51 AM

Yea but they are all watchin SEC games

ATL has the most college football viewers in the

May 24, 2012, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Well, ATL is not considered a major media market, so we can ]

nation, more than NYC...

Nightmare scenario:

Big 12 offers FSU, GT and Miami......SEC purloins VT and NCSU....and we are stuck in the ACC. We MUST be proactive and get out while we still can or our football program will flounder for years to come. I'm actually starting to get a tad bit nervous.

Re: Nightmare scenario:

May 24, 2012, 8:52 AM

Agreed - my same concern. I'm not sure how any of us or these bloggers know what is really going on. Things change - daily. But Brown also said the order of desire for Big12 was 1. ND 2. FSU 3. Clemson. Hopefully that is true. I'm just a bit more nervous than I was say a couple of days ago. Really intrigued to see if anything comes out of the BOT meeting tonight. Going to be a nerve wrecking few weeks coming up.

But I also agree that this is likely only short term - that more changes are on the horizon - even Dabo eluted to the thought of 60+ teams separating out....the thought of forming 4 regional 16 team conferences.

Re: Nightmare scenario:

May 24, 2012, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Nightmare scenario: ]

Yes, and if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butts every time they jumped either.

We would be done. That is a doomsday scenario. It is a

May 24, 2012, 8:55 AM

shame that it is all about markets, population and recruiting grounds today. Decades ago when we weren't interested in moving, it was all about large fanbases, stadium atmosphere, etc.

Clemson goes before Miami or GT if it chooses.

May 24, 2012, 9:09 AM

FSU and Clemson would cover the ATL market and more.

Re: Clemson goes before Miami or GT if it chooses.

May 24, 2012, 9:25 AM

ESPN views a team's viewing footprint in terms of its advertising metrics. The ATL market is already dominated/saturated by UGAy--GiT brings nothing additional to the table for them. Clemson/FSU does.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I don't complete understand the ATL market argument

May 24, 2012, 9:29 AM

I live in Atlanta, and it's UGA country by far. Maybe I don't understand how this works.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't complete understand the ATL market argument

May 24, 2012, 9:36 AM

You hit the nail on the head. ATL is completely dominated by UGAy and adding GiT does nothing for the ESPN Big XII viewing/advertising metrics. Adding FSU/Clemson does. It's really that simple. ATL is an odd market.

Screw Calford.

May 24, 2012, 10:36 AM [ in reply to I don't complete understand the ATL market argument ]

Same way when I lived in Atlanta. City residents rarely knew, or cared really if Ga Tech was playing at home or on the road, or even playing at all. Atlanta, including the newspaper (AJC), was all about UGA. Only one's who cared about a GT football game were a handful of students and The Varsity drive-in.

May 24, 2012, 11:54 AM

How many more Atlanta TVs would GaT bring? Most on this board are saying "not much". I believe it.

How many more Charlotte (no 24 market) TVs would Clemson bring? I think a significant percentage. How 'bout Raleigh-Durham (no 27)? Some.

I'm tellin’ ya, Clemson should not be written off in the NC market. People up here are definitely more interested in Clemson than the closest SEC team (Chickens). One could argue that is b/c we are in the ACC, but regardless of the reason, that interest is there. It will not disappear instantly if Clemson were no longer in the ACC. Heck, it might be able to garner more interest in the current SEC schools.

May 24, 2012, 9:49 AM

The Tech-Atlanta market argument is stupid. No one in Atlanta cares about Tech.
Those TVs are on UGA games.

May 24, 2012, 9:57 AM

Well, I have to ask, just who in the Administration would have the authority to decide the future of the University because someone came up with a doomsday scenario based on "if's" and "mights?"

Big XII this summer or not, Clemson needs to let the ACC

May 24, 2012, 10:09 AM

know that we're gone.

When the new BCS format is announced in late June, and if it doesn't mandate being a conference champion to participate, and if the ACC hasn't committed to drastic changes in leadership and restructuring revenue, we need to let them know that we are leaving after the 2013 season regardless of whether we have a conference home or not.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2012, 11:12 AM

The entire circumstance is connected to ND. If UT can get them to join the Big 12 on a partial membership then matters get resolved, however if they hold back then Ga. Tech may be asked first to then lure ND to join later. Clemson, while having a fine football/baseball tradition, could well be on the outside of conference expansion if we are not careful. The BOT must insist the conference commissioners (ACC) make broad scope changes immediately starting next month or Clemson will indeed look elsewhere.

First Swofford must be gone thru retirement by July 30th or earlier.

Second bowl revenue must be split with the school participating receiving a majority.

Third the ACC must hire top notch football officials.

Fourth the ESPN contract must be revised for third tier rights before the five year window and Raycom must be removed from this deal.

Notre Dame, Louisville and not UConn, Rutgers or Georgetown must be issued an invitation to join by no later than 2015. ND would be given a partial membership until their NBC TV contract expires.

Unless the above demands are met starting by June 15th then Clemson should take appropriate action to seek new conference status.

Go Tigers!

bisreal -

May 24, 2012, 11:44 AM

Nice to see someone on the board posting info from a good source. Chip was all over the Texas to PAC 10 stuff a couple of years ago and was the first to talk about it I think.

Are you an insider on the UT Rivals board? Just asking, because I check out what they are saying over there from time to time and I thought Chip's article were insider only.

Chip does morning radio in Austin and we can listen online. He said in his Big 12 update yesterday essentially what you posted above. I would add that he mentioned these items as well:

- Notre Dame is interested in joining for Olympic sports only until their NBC contract runs out in 2015, then ND could become a full member.

- Notre Dame will no more about what their future looks like after the four-team playoff standards are set. PAC 10 and Big 10 are pushing for conference champions only. SEC wants top 4 teams.

- Chip said there is no rush within the Big 12 to expand since the TV contract is set and the 10 schools stand to make a lot more money if they stay at 10. They make even more this year because TCU got penalized by the conference for the drug scandal.

- Probably most importantly, the SEC is currently butting heads with CBS because the SEC wants more money for adding A&M and Mizzou but CBS is stating that they will add enough money to make sure these two schools receive an equal share but CBS does not believe revenue for each member school should go up. This is a major issue because it has been assumed by most everyone that networks will pay more when the conference expands and all the member schools will make more money. If the SEC can't get more money out of CBS then what makes the Big 12 think they can get more money on a new tv contract? It would likely take a MAJOR football school with a national brand to cause the contract to go up significantly (see ND).

Bisreal, thanks for mentioning Chip Brown. I would encourage all T-netters to check out his morning show archives on "The Horn's" Facebook page. With all due respect to York and the WV-dude, Brown has legitimate sources and his comments carry a lot of weight.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic