Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Currently 2 games going on with NCAAT implications
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,531

Currently 2 games going on with NCAAT implications

Mar 7, 2018, 7:31 PM

ND/VPI - ND likely needs a win to get in

OU/OKST - Huge game in B12 tournament. An OU loss and they sweat bullets until Sunday. An OKST win and they get a shot to beat Kansas a 3rd time, likely getting them in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Currently 2 games going on with NCAAT implications

Mar 7, 2018, 7:47 PM

ND has an RPI of 70 AFTER yesterdays win. They would be a long shot with even if they somehow made the final.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

according to the committee, they look at what a team COULD

Mar 7, 2018, 7:56 PM

be in in the NCAAT when they have everyone. That changes things for ND with Bonzi back. If they win, it's a unique case for sure.

That said, they look bad right now.

Re: according to the committee, they look at what a team COULD

Mar 7, 2018, 8:37 PM

For all the talk of additional metrics (KenPom, Quadrant W-L %, etc...) RPI remains the most significant determinant. Getting in with an RPI over 55 and left out with an RPI under 45 is statistically unlikely. They want people to watch the selection shows so they pretend these other things matter to cast uncertainty on the event - to not only drive viewership of the selection show (that is actually less significant) but to drive fan engagement with whole of “March Madness”. It’s all marketing and we all gleefully play along.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS is what I'm afraid of....

Mar 8, 2018, 2:21 AM

Is that there is a decent amount of truth here. I really hope to see VT in the dance and based on the committee's established criteria, they would be. But if the committee ends up leaning on the traditional metrics (RPI ranking, non conference SOS, top 50 wins) then the Hokies may end up in the NIT after all.

Re: according to the committee, they look at what a team COULD

Mar 8, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: according to the committee, they look at what a team COULD ]

I think they're going to forgive some of their play without Colson. They're 7-3 in their last 10 games and since he's come back they're 3-1 and played UVA close on the road. They also had some good wins earlier in the year.

They played 15 ACC games without him and finished 8-10, which isn't terrible considering they had a 7 game losing streak.

That said I think they still need to do some more work to get in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny how I hate ND in football, but in basketball, they are

Mar 8, 2018, 8:06 AM

one of my favorite teams to watch, over the last three or four years. One of the most fundamentally sound teams, with great passing, and not just running up & down the court. I hope they get in, although I am undecided about this "judge them by their record with Bonzi" sentiment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,531
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic