Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You've stolen my childhood !
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

You've stolen my childhood !

Nov 8, 2019, 9:33 PM
Childhood.jpg(127.7 K)

word

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You've stolen my childhood !

Nov 9, 2019, 5:45 AM

She was a little over the top.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2019, 10:32 AM

The right's obsession with this girl is really getting sick.

Nov 9, 2019, 11:41 AM

She is their new David Hogg.

Nov 9, 2019, 12:23 PM

Righties constantly obsessed with underage kids. So out of character.

The left is way more obsessed with this kid than the right.

Nov 10, 2019, 1:07 PM

It's typical of you to make a big deal out of something trivial like a child's opinion on scientific theory then loudly proclaim the right is obsessed for disagreeing with the child.

I wonder what she thinks about thermodynamics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The left is way more obsessed with this kid than the right.

Nov 10, 2019, 1:11 PM

How many liberals here have started threads about her?

How passionate are the liberals defending her position?***

Nov 11, 2019, 4:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How passionate are the liberals defending her position?***

Nov 13, 2019, 8:20 AM

when you narrowly escape a cat 5 that wiped out an island 100 miles east of you, it kind of resonates a with you.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its really too bad that you didn't know that hurricane

Nov 13, 2019, 9:58 AM

was going to hit there. Or, in Mainland Florida..where it was predicted to go for 5 days prior to hitting the Bahama's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should she be ignored? Or ignored if you disagree with her

Nov 9, 2019, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: You've stolen my childhood ! ]

rhetoric?

I’m pretty sure the “right” isn’t the one that has given her a platform.

null

Re: Should she be ignored? Or ignored if you disagree with her

Nov 9, 2019, 2:02 PM

She is saying the same thing many celebrities and scientists say. People don't go after Neil Degrasse Tyson like they go after her. She is just a passionate kid who loves the environment. No reason to go after her as cruelly as so many on the right have. Its unusual. She is a 16 year old.

I’m sure plenty of people take NDT to task for his comments.

Nov 10, 2019, 10:42 PM

But NDT has a broad range of expertise to draw a wide range of opinions from, and he never came up with such dramatic nonsense as the young lady is producing.

And not to belabor a point, but I will: some high school kid with a MAGA hat smirks while a Native American is in his face during a field trip, and lefties want to know everything about him so they can ruin his life, but this young lady (according to her supporters) is a climate change activist with such an important message that she has started a youth movement and is given an audience at the UN, but for shame with anyone who questions some of her rhetoric?

Nope.

Or...let me backtrack a bit...am I missing the worst of the attacks from the right? The meme that started this conversation certainly can’t be it. I’m assuming there is some horrible attacks from someone noteworthy from the right (a radio guy, a Fox guy or a politician?) that is frustrating you?

null

Re: I’m sure plenty of people take NDT to task for his comments.

Nov 10, 2019, 10:51 PM

A disabled young lady makes a statement and it’s gold. Ok. Yeah. Ok.

Dumb fukks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m sure plenty of people take NDT to task for his comments.

Nov 11, 2019, 5:15 AM [ in reply to I’m sure plenty of people take NDT to task for his comments. ]

First off, I am not frustrated. I am observant of something odd. I have heard radio and tv hosts go after her. She is the new Hogg for the right. The right have a way finding someone to go after to make a new target. She is just a kid. She is passionate about what she believes. There is no reason to go after her personally. I firmly believe in man's influence on climate change, but I dont take her opinion to heart. I just see a kid who is passionate and is growing as a human being. At the worst she is passionate about us having a clean environment. Its an issue we should all agree upon anyway.

Sorry. You are not frustrated.

Nov 11, 2019, 9:06 AM

So without specific examples, I’m not sure what to say. Conceptually, I don’t understand why you think kids who have (according to their supporters) chosen of their own free will to put themselves on a stage should not be open to scrutiny. The meme that started this thread is the only specific example I can see and I am confident that no one thinks that is out of bounds. Or, if anyone is trying to make the claim that it IS out of bounds, then it seems all the more transparent to me that these children are used as human shields for people that are pushing their own agendas, which would be far worse than anyone questioning her comments.

People’s positions on the issue is not the issue here. She’s not above criticism because you think she is correct. And there are millions of kids who want a clean environment. So they do recycling programs or stream clean ups. They don’t go in front of the UN and wag their fingers at adults and say “how dare you” about something even you seem to acknowledge they may not fully understand.

null

It's one thing to say she doesn't understand the issue

Nov 11, 2019, 3:29 PM

but it's something else to claim she's being "used as human shields" or "slaves" (CT88) or espousing false compassion about how she's being "handled" (removing all agency from the child) because of her "mental illness." It's clear there is an agenda on both sides here (to me), 1.) Greta and her supporters have an agenda to stop climate change or at least bring awareness to the issue of doing something about it. They are using the cries of a child to push an emotional button within people and to also make it difficult to criticize her/their claims 2.) Those who believe climate change is a hoax want to paint Greta as a victim of her parents/handlers and that she's not getting the help she "needs." They dismiss everything she says and does as they would anyone supporting what they feel is a hoax in climate change.

I think both are very transparent (as evidenced by the responses found in this thread).

Nov 9, 2019, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: You've stolen my childhood ! ]

Not as sick as the left’s willingness to leverage a mentally disabled girl’s sad paranoia into political capital.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2019, 1:59 PM

Most scientists agree with her, so she really isnt paranoid. She is passionate though.

"mentally disabled" is such a loaded term to use***

Nov 10, 2019, 12:00 AM [ in reply to Re: You've stolen my childhood ! ]

It’s completely accurate—sorry if you don’t like it.

Nov 10, 2019, 5:36 PM

I’m not going to patronize like the left does and say she has “superpowers”.

Aspergers, OCD, and selective mutism are disabilities that require ongoing treatment.....not enablement that doubles down on their negative side effects.

Paranoia, myopic fixation on a singular topic, and anxiety are all symptoms of her conditions, and She exhibits them in spades when it comes to the topic of climate change. They girl needs occupational behavioral therapy and possibly some anxiety medication, not a bunch of fawning opportunists who exacerbate her condition while not giving two shidds about her well-being.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s completely accurate—sorry if you don’t like it.

Nov 10, 2019, 8:33 AM

And obed wins the internet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2019, 11:48 PM

And obed wins the internet.

Well, I hope he still lets us all play on it.

"Mental illness" is a better term to use than "disabled"

Nov 10, 2019, 2:09 PM [ in reply to It’s completely accurate—sorry if you don’t like it. ]

"Mental illness: any of various conditions in which a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior are disordered and can cause suffering to himself, herself, or other people"

"Mental disability: condition that limits a person's intellectual capacity, resulting directly or indirectly from injury to the brain or from abnormal neurological development"

I'm not arguing that Greta doesn't have mental illnesses but so do many CEOs and our current President and they still are capable of having normal intellectual thoughts and opinions. Mentally disabled people, by definition, aren't as capable and Greta shouldn't be lumped in with them.

(I don't pay much attention to her but if she can get the youth more involved in saving our planet, then more power to her. But I think her influence is limited to the youth. And she clearly doesn't have superpowers.)

"Paranoia, myopic fixation, and anxiety" also sounds exactly like our President does it not? ;)

Nov 10, 2019, 2:31 PM [ in reply to It’s completely accurate—sorry if you don’t like it. ]

You know nothing about her, you hack. Using mental disorders you know nothing about to discredit someone is downright disgusting.

All you know about her is how to use her

Nov 10, 2019, 2:40 PM

As a human shield to push through your side’s bullshitt agendas.

If her fixation was on dinosaurs or traffic congestion she’d be off your side’s phony pedestal in two seconds.

There are plenty of women and children without mental illnesses (there you go deweather) who you can go hide behind. Find some of them.

And speaking of things you know nothing of, I have a nephew with two of her three conditions. So like a lot of things, I know quite a bit more about it than you do.

Thank you for using a better term

Nov 10, 2019, 3:26 PM

though there appears to be controversy around using "mental illness" as well, but I, personally, don't have much issue with it (I don't hold it with much negative connotation as others might).

From what I've seen and heard from Greta, she seems to be an effective speaker and leader (at least of the youth) so it appears that her "mental illnesses" aren't hindering her or causing her harm. Where is the evidence that she's being used as a prop or that she needs "help?" While I think it can be likely that she's been effective, in part, because she's hard to criticize because she's young, a girl and has behavioral issues, I think it's also equally likely she's been dismissed by those that think Climate Change is a "########" agenda for the same reasons. This would be true no matter who was in Greta's position (both sides would accept/dismiss based on their established beliefs).

Re: Thank you for using a better term

Nov 10, 2019, 3:43 PM

Effective speaker and leader? She couldn’t lead her way out of a paper bag and if you think she is a leader, you ought to get a new one at work. Cause #### is bad on your end

To who, the other 12 year olds in the room?

Lol

Thank you for your contributions to this discussion

Nov 10, 2019, 6:45 PM

They've been invaluable

Re: Thank you for your contributions to this discussion

Nov 10, 2019, 7:11 PM

Didn’t realize this was a professional forum with a decorum of such only ones with high intelligence get to participate.

Love you too buttercup.

She is a product of soft parents and you are too. Feel sad for your kids.

Nov 10, 2019, 7:17 PM

You only exhibit basic decency in professional situations? This forum looks more like 4chan every day.

Nov 10, 2019, 7:37 PM

53%. Lol

Nov 10, 2019, 8:39 PM

I sense that you're one step away from "I know you are but what am I?"

Nov 10, 2019, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Thank you for your contributions to this discussion ]

Re: All you know about her is how to use her

Nov 10, 2019, 4:51 PM [ in reply to All you know about her is how to use her ]

Climate change is proven science. Just because it's beyond your capability to understand doesn't mean it isn't real.

And you clearly don't know about about one of those conditions, much less two or three. Like with many conditions, their symptoms can range from minimal to debilitating from person to person. You don't seem to understand that at all. The fact that your family has been personally affected and you still chose to use those conditions to attack a young woman makes it even worse.

I think my favorite part is where

Nov 10, 2019, 6:41 PM

You pretend that I’m talking about battling climate change when I’m talking about your bullshitt agenda.

Re: I think my favorite part is where

Nov 10, 2019, 7:09 PM

Lol. What's my agenda?

See, there it is.

Nov 11, 2019, 12:36 AM

You have no idea what's going on. You still think this is about climate change.

Re: See, there it is.

Nov 11, 2019, 5:24 AM

Why dont you tell us what its about?

Re: I think my favorite part is where

Nov 11, 2019, 5:22 AM [ in reply to I think my favorite part is where ]

Whats the bullchit agenda Obed?

We’ve all discussed this before and zero opinions

Nov 11, 2019, 6:40 AM

Were changed, but what the heck......

When your “solutions” focus around central economic planning, massively increased urbanized clustering, and giant increases in deficit spending/taxation, wealth redistribution and bureaucracy creation, it leads one to suspect that mitigating climate change isn’t really the end goal. When you ignore or rule out completely viable solutions like GenIII/ IV nuclear power, while giving a wave of the hand to other countries who account for the lion’s share of global pollution, it pretty much confirms the premise.

Note that my opinions require zero disbelief in climate change, only in the weasels that claim to be fighting the good fight. If it weren’t climate change, it would be some other “oh my God think of the children” cause that they used as their vehicle for a power grab. It’s unfortunate.

Re: We’ve all discussed this before and zero opinions

Nov 11, 2019, 7:10 AM

Fair enough. There are people who are always going to try to capitalize on these issues. They are on both sides of the issue. That said, the people promoting the kid are more altruistic in my opinion. There is a real huge belief in climate change and spans the globe.

Well, then, Obed...

Nov 11, 2019, 7:43 AM [ in reply to Re: You've stolen my childhood ! ]

Why aren't you railing on the people on this board who are making fun of, mocking, and attacking a 16-year-old mentally ill girl?

Seems like those people would be the more appropriate targets. Start with "OhWiseOne".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

That’s completely appropriate too.

Nov 11, 2019, 8:03 AM

Seems the most worthy target though is those who’ve put her in this position. It’s heartbreaking to watch her in action, and I don’t use that term casually.

Take something like the climate, that even the most ardent greenie would probably say they were worried about, and then amplify that worry times 1000. Her condition(s) have caused this fixation and this irrational fear that she has. She really thinks that the entire planet is ending within a couple decades and it’s clear she is terrified. Because she’s fixated on it due to Aspergers/OCD, there’s a good chance it occupies most of her waking thoughts and she’s living with constant anxiety over it.

People who mock those with handicaps just suck, and I say that as someone who is ashamed of having done it before. However, it seems to me that there’s a special place in hellll for anyone who would see this girl in terror and use her as a tool for a movement, doubling down on her condition in the process, instead of getting her the help she needs.

Re: That’s completely appropriate too.

Nov 11, 2019, 9:48 AM

I, too, agree she seems to be a pawn of others to push a cause, and that in itself is worthy of disdain. Those using here should be ashamed. In the end, she and others are on the right side of this debate (really sill we have to even debate climate change any more), but like you, I don't like the method.

However, anyone attacking a 16-year-old girl who we know to have mental illness is far, far more despicable. They're bad people. They possess no redeemable qualities. They're the lowest of low. Put OhWiseOne, xtiger, and anyone else who has done this in that camp.

Those people are far more deserving of criticism. Because if they know she's a pawn, they shouldn't be attacking her.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

It ultimately doesn't matter, but let's hit pause and

Nov 11, 2019, 10:05 AM

analyze.

Anonymous Internet board members making unfortunate tasteless posts that she'll never hear or experience about her are worse than people with direct interaction with her who likely worsen the effects of her condition because she's a means to an end?

On what planet does that logic make sense?

Re: It ultimately doesn't matter, but let's hit pause and

Nov 11, 2019, 10:46 AM

Doesn't matter if she ever sees them or not. If a mentally-ill child is trotted out as a pawn to be a spokesperson on an issue by adults, and one's first reaction is to attack, degrade, and mock that child, then that one person is a despicable excuse for a human being. The people using the girl aren't good either, but at least they're not lowering themselves to mocking a kid with a disability.

Nov 11, 2019, 12:39 PM

This. The "but some Trump supporters are good people" line has lost all credibility.

How did Trump get involved in this?

Nov 11, 2019, 1:40 PM

Who is the Trump supporter?

Nov 11, 2019, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: It ultimately doesn't matter, but let's hit pause and ]

I know many Trump supporters who are fine people. People who attack this girl, however, are not. I don't care if a person helps little old puppies cross the street. Attacking a child like this makes you a ###### person.

Having endured 5 daughters and three granddaughters...

Nov 11, 2019, 4:35 PM

passing through the age of 16 I can with more experience and authority say this. A 16 year old female is not a child when it comes to mind games. Thinking they are all little girls puts them two steps ahead of you.

Remember, they are learning to think like women and not one man here has the first clue of what goes on inside a female's mind. That is one biological hurtle which gender reassignment will never jump.

I have not picked a fight with that girl because I'm mature enough to try and choose my battles.

Re: Having endured 5 daughters and three granddaughters...

Nov 11, 2019, 4:42 PM

Yeah, they are still children. No, I have more experience and authority in this arena, and I'll leave it at that. Sure, they can manipulate with the best of em, but that's still a kid in there. And in this case, we have a child who suffers from mental disorders.

Grown men attacking a kid, regardless of their stance on the issues, are pathetic and despicable. It's not hard to just simply disagree with her and point out why.

But nope, we gotta have a lot of memes mocking her and other hateful #### directed her way. I guess it's too much to disagree.

Understand I'm not accusing you of doing this. But those who have done it must have a pretty sad life.

You keep lumping me in with those who attacked the child.

Nov 11, 2019, 5:30 PM

It didn't happen. Changing the subject and impeaching my opinion is not working.

My first daughter reached the teen years in the mid 1980. Since then four have been strung out over the years with the youngest of my daughters now being 22 yrs old. My oldest granddaughter is 19 or 20 now and the youngest is 3.

So I apologize for thinking I have spent more hours, more money or emotions and given more thought to dealing with a teenage girl than you. Yes, I raised two of the older granddaughters.

Still, I am not attacking that girl.

This is not the first time you have...

Nov 11, 2019, 5:55 PM

Overreacted emotionally to one of my posts and not read it fully, thus looking ridiculous. Let's look at the last line of my post:

Understand I'm not accusing you of doing this. But those who have done it must have a pretty sad life.

I quoted it five times just to make sure you got it.

And I'm not going to flex nuts with you over who has more experience or authority wherever. If it makes you feel better to say you've got it, by all means, you do you.

All of this doesn't change my point: She's a child, and grown men who attack her are pieces of ####.

AND IN ALL CAPS WITH BOLD AND ITALICS THIS TIME, I'M NOT ACCUSING YOU OF DOING THIS.

So, uh....hey

Nov 11, 2019, 5:57 PM

About your experience with teen girls.....

I'm sorry, I apologize, Cat.

Nov 11, 2019, 10:11 PM [ in reply to This is not the first time you have... ]

All of us have a little child inside. Maturity is measured by how much we can hide that child.

I didn't think the OP meme was an insult to the child. Imo, it put her in her place. She attacked what I believe to be reasonable and sane people by accusing them of stealing her childhood. Whoever told her that man has the power to control the climate should be writing syfy novels.

Nov 11, 2019, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: You've stolen my childhood ! ]

That's true. The right would just get on stage and mock her on live TV. 100% class right there.

have ya seen this? LOL

Nov 9, 2019, 10:40 AM

https://twitter.com/fisherofmeh/status/1193041156059254784?s=20

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do they have a mural of putin***

Nov 11, 2019, 9:49 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well they are commies...***

Nov 12, 2019, 1:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ok boomer***

Nov 10, 2019, 9:23 AM

Nov 10, 2019, 9:41 PM

"You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."

Here's the full quote so you have a little more context. You're basically proving her point for her with that nice picture.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you quote or even relate

Nov 10, 2019, 10:41 PM

to anyone in the Top 40 of Dem candidates?

Nov 11, 2019, 5:25 AM [ in reply to Re: You've stolen my childhood ! ]

She is accurate. Aside from stealing her childhood, the rest of her quote is undeniable.

Our country will end long before climate changes ends it.

Nov 11, 2019, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Re: You've stolen my childhood ! ]

Were I her, or one of her handlers, I think I'd be much more concerned with the US economy collapsing and its affects on the rest of the world. Climate change won't even be a blip on the radar of things to give a chit about when we our economy goes tango uniform.

Amen. Whether you believe in climate change or not,

Nov 11, 2019, 5:38 PM

our country probably is at far greater economic risk than climate risk.

The truth in that photo is profound.

Nov 11, 2019, 3:00 PM

The left has marched that child out on the world stage to push the climate change agenda just as the Cong in Vietnam marched the children across a rice paddy to 'find,' land mines. Terrorist hide behind women and children too when men show up to wage war face to face.

She's put out there by the left and anyone attacking her will be a monster for attacking a child. Victimhood reigns supreme again. Instead of dancing to that music somebody shows a child with a real life struggle.

Both are slaves, the girl to the climate change and the boy to a life struggle to survive.

Re: The truth in that photo is profound.

Nov 11, 2019, 4:30 PM

So, now climate change people = Viet Cong?

Nice hyperbole.

...anyone attacking her will be a monster for attacking a child.

Yeah, they are. Here's a new one: Try disagreeing with her in a civil fashion that doesn't make you look like a jerk for attacking a child.

I have not said one negative thing about the child's person.

Nov 11, 2019, 5:15 PM

I disagree with her in a civil fashion. Problem?

Now back to your side attacking people and please sir, point out where a 'denier,' has attacked the child and why you are lumping me in with him.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

Re: The truth in that photo is profound.

Nov 11, 2019, 5:01 PM [ in reply to The truth in that photo is profound. ]

While not approaching Memphis levels, you sure are heading more and more that direction as time goes on.

Being one who has survived being called a racist,...

Nov 11, 2019, 5:20 PM

homophobe, climate denier, misogynist , xenophobe and Trump supporting trash for about what, 11 years now has hardened me. I apologize.

There you go, blaming it on everyone else again!

Nov 11, 2019, 5:40 PM

J/k!

You haven't been around here long.

Nov 11, 2019, 6:57 PM

I refuse to admit I'm wrong only when I believe I'm right. Everyone here who has been around any length of time will tell you no one here is as quick to admit error and apologize for getting out of line, none.

Laying all joking aside, I was labeled a racist and the only way to disparage people from calling me a racist was to post pictures I took of the black children who live next door when my son, DNL and I took them to a Clemson Spring game and Frankies' Fun Park in Greenville.

I posted those pictures deep inside a thread and left them up long enough for a couple/few people to see them then I removed them because their single mother who was raising them alone had not given me permission to publish.

I have worked on the girl's car, tended her children after school when she had jobs requiring her to work hours after the kids arrived home, kept a key to her house to ensure the kids could get what they needed before she got home and been there if she needed me.

Go home Greta

Nov 11, 2019, 4:55 PM

https://youtu.be/x7kKxbl-ILI

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic