Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Report: Bowden Interviews For Razorbacks' Vacancy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 96
| visibility 1

Dec 3, 2007, 6:41 PM

Website run by Arkansas newspapers says Clemson head coach among three to speak with incoming AD Jeff Long. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can only hope they're dumb enough to hire him***

Dec 3, 2007, 6:43 PM

Re: I can only hope they're dumb enough to hire him***

Dec 3, 2007, 6:49 PM

ok genius who do you think is available that would take this program to a higher level....better think twice before you ask its not like there are a ton of qualified coachs waiting in the wind to take the clemson job...beyond a lot of people expectations this isn't one of the most hallowed jobs out there that great coachs will be knocking down the door to come

clearly you forget

Dec 3, 2007, 6:51 PM

that either Bill Cowher or Rich Rodriguez are coming here

oops... maybe not RR after that Pitt loss, no tigernetter could ever stand for that kind of loss

OK, sorry Bill Cowher

:)

You are right. Clemson is lucky to have bene knocking at the

Dec 3, 2007, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I can only hope they're dumb enough to hire him*** ]

door at ACC Championships the last 17 years.

Like Bowden, hate him, I could care less. But to honestly think Clemson couldn't find a good coach is just plain stupid.

Dec 3, 2007, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: I can only hope they're dumb enough to hire him*** ]

I hope we are smart enough to learn from history, in 93 we were 9-3, beat Tennessee in the Peach Bowl, but had run Hatfield out of town. Who did we get to come coach? A coach with 1 season as a head coach at Division II, with a losing record - West came in with all the support of the Ford allegiance - took Clemson from 9-3 to 3-8. Only after we hit rock bottom at 3-8, would good coaches look at us as a turnaround opportunity. If we run Bowden out of town, at 9-4 or 10-3, good coaches will not be interested due to the unrealistic expectations.

Dec 4, 2007, 12:08 AM

We played Tennessee in the Peach bowl in 2003 under Bowden moron!

Dec 4, 2007, 12:37 AM

I am talking about 93 - Hatfield's last year, not 03, we beat an SEC team in the Peach Bowl in 93 (Hatfield's last season - I can't remember who we played) - anyway, the comparison is that it was viewed that we ran a winning coach out of town in 93 (2 years after winning an ACC title), so our options for getting a replacement were weak - that is why I hope, if Bowden leaves it is perceived that he leaves on his own - not that we ran him out of town.... - so we can get somebody better than Tommy West...

Dec 4, 2007, 7:56 AM

I believe it was KY. They gave us the game with a stupid fumble at the end.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was KY and Terry Smith caught the game winning TD!! ****

Dec 4, 2007, 10:45 AM

nt

Here are three lists of candidates to replace Bowden...

Dec 3, 2007, 11:21 PM [ in reply to Re: I can only hope they're dumb enough to hire him*** ]

Here are three lists of head coaching candidates from Rivals.com, SportingNews.com, and ESPN.com:
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=705744
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=277335
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=3139834

In addition, I'm sure that somebody with TDP's resources and connections could find lots of great candidates (like Boise State's Chris Peterson) who might want to step up to a warm-weather, BCS school with a great football tradition, that sits on a lake in one of the most beautiful college settings in the country.

Re: Just don't think that this year is the right time...***

Dec 3, 2007, 11:26 PM

Re: Here are three lists of candidates to replace Bowden...

Dec 4, 2007, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Here are three lists of candidates to replace Bowden... ]

I would agree - people should want to coach at Clemson. I was a student at Clemson in 93, suffered the same delusion when Hatfield left, reading all the great names that were surfacing - but in the end, we found somebody I had never heard of... Tommy West. I still remember the front page of the student paper - it said "He even looks like Danny", that is when I realized the Ford love affair was bad for the program. We were 2 years removed from ACC title - and 5 or 6 years later, we were 3-8 - same lake, same great tradition - but that lake and tradition do not mean you autmotically win every year, and it does not mean you get your choice of hot young coaches....

Re: Here are three lists of candidates to replace Bowden...

Dec 4, 2007, 12:41 AM [ in reply to Here are three lists of candidates to replace Bowden... ]

Major Applewhite? Yeah sign him up and win the NC next year. I'm sorry but I just don't feel any of those guys are going to improve on what Bowden has done. Only time will tell.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they were dumb enough to hire Danny*****

Dec 3, 2007, 6:59 PM [ in reply to I can only hope they're dumb enough to hire him*** ]

Dec 3, 2007, 8:39 PM [ in reply to I can only hope they're dumb enough to hire him*** ]

What hasn't he done at CU besides not winning an ACC/BCS Championship? Sure we shoulda, or coulda won it this year, but we didn't. I think TB has done a great job while he has been at CU. Don't get caught up in your "We should win the MNC every year" BS, because it ain't going to happen. Gone are the days of a team kicking ### every year, and gone are teams being able to just live by their name. The players we have are the best we can get. There are some players, that are playing for other teams, that we wish we had, and that team wish we had them to free up scholarships for them. Do you think that Notre Dame, Miami, FSU, and others would like to have our season? Could you ever imagine these schools sinking so low? Step back, and look at where we are at, and where we could go. Sure it has been a longer wait than we wanted, but it may happen in the next couple of years. We want to win the ACC Championship, and then next the MNC! Can it be done, God only knows!

Coot Alert***

Dec 3, 2007, 8:56 PM [ in reply to I can only hope they're dumb enough to hire him*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Germans***

Dec 3, 2007, 6:44 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Why would you post "GERMANS"???

Dec 3, 2007, 7:23 PM

Are you bragging that you've already heard this news? Well let me be the first to congratulate you on your early discovery.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why would you post "GERMANS"???

Dec 3, 2007, 7:36 PM

Is that what "Germans" means? Is it basically someone asserting that the topic is old news and everyone on the thread just had no idea regarding the topic? I have always wondered...

Dec 3, 2007, 9:05 PM

I've always wondered and figured that's what it meant just because of how it was used. Stupid if you ask me, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure I'll get jumped on for saying that. Oh well. I'm 32! I'm a man!

I will ask where it actually came from???

Dec 3, 2007, 9:19 PM

Animal house: "Was it over when the GERMANS bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Its easier to type "Germans" than it is to say "fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dec 3, 2007, 10:09 PM

I gotcha... here I was thinking that it had a lot deeper meaning... something along the lines of WWII when the Nazi's had concentration camps, yet most German citizens claimed after the war was over that they never knew the camps were there even though a lot of those camps were located right outside of some larger German cities... silly me.

Animal House is definitely one of the best.

It's simple...If TB is looking for another job...

Dec 3, 2007, 6:52 PM

Then CU can consider him with others that are being interviewed.

Re: Report: Bowden Interviews For Razorbacks' Vacancy

Dec 3, 2007, 6:52 PM

I certainly hope that this is not true, and if it is, I hope we do what we need to do to keep him. Now is not the time for Clemson to be looking for a new head coach considering what could be in store for next year (ie: all of the returning players, recruiting, etc.).

Especially since several recruits have made the statement...

Dec 3, 2007, 6:56 PM

that they will be coming here as long as Bowden is still the coach!!! This could end up being the best recruiting class that we have had.

I agree...

Dec 3, 2007, 7:28 PM

all the talk about people being ready for him to leave and wanting someone else is stupid, especially when we remember that Aaron Kelly making one last catch, we play for the ACC crown. Coaching has not been our biggest problem. TB can't catch a pass or kick a fg. The fact that we've been so close for the last few years should be a credit to the coaching staff. They can only take a team so far before players step it up enough to "finish the job"

Photobucket

I too agree with the exception of some of our play calling

Dec 3, 2007, 10:45 PM

inside the five yard line against BC two years in a row.
Also, I would like to see us scrap zone blocking. I am a Ford man, but I want to keep TB, extend him, and pay him as it it is too late for DF.

oh God please let this happen !!!!***

Dec 3, 2007, 6:55 PM

your crazy! nothin good would come out of it***

Dec 3, 2007, 7:40 PM

uh huh !! a coach worth a #### !!***

Dec 3, 2007, 9:05 PM

Are you a #### fan? Cuz you seem to want clemson to fail

Dec 4, 2007, 1:23 AM [ in reply to oh God please let this happen !!!!*** ]

Never mind being bowl eligible 9 years in a row (something that didn't happen in the 90s), or not having any major problems with the players, or being consistently ranked in the top 25, or improved facilities, or top 20 recruiting classes.

Nope, never mind what Tommy has accomplished here at Clemson, despite fans like you.

If Bowden did indeed talk to Arkansas it was probably just

Dec 3, 2007, 7:11 PM

to try and put pressure on Clemson to give him a bigger extension. He knows Clemson is going to try to lower the buy out and not put a huge raise in the new contract. Bowden's trying to up his value.

I agree. I think he's playing this card to get more $$$***

Dec 3, 2007, 7:24 PM

CAN'T BE TRUE!!!

Dec 3, 2007, 7:41 PM

THERE MUST BE 100 POST THAT SUGGEST TOMMY COULD NOT GET A JOB WITH ANY TEAM, IN A BCS CONFERENCE. ITS ABOUT AS FUNNY AS THE RR vs SPENCE, OFFENSIVE PLAY CALLING COMMENTS, IN "BIG GAMES" NOW.
THE STEELERS LOOKED REALLY GOOD AGAINST WV THE OTHER NIGHT.

For every buyer, there's a seller.

Dec 3, 2007, 11:36 PM

It's just rumors and I don't believe we'll be lucky enough to lose Bowden. But anyway, Arkansas hasn't won a conference title since 1989 (Southwest Conference) so Bowden would be a perfect fit for their program.

And nobody is saying that the great coaches NEVER lose. We're saying that great coaches don't consistently finish in the middle of the pack for NINE years. They bring home conference championships periodically.

Re: For every buyer, there's a seller.

Dec 4, 2007, 8:30 AM

I WAS GOING TO REMIND YOU OF THIS YESTERDAY......CMU WON THEIR CONFERENCE!!!!!!! MAYBE NEXT YEAR WE CAN COMPETE LIKE THEM!!!!!

Re: If Bowden did indeed talk to Arkansas it was probably just

Dec 3, 2007, 9:07 PM [ in reply to If Bowden did indeed talk to Arkansas it was probably just ]

And you can't fault him for that. First time he's been interviewed since being at Clemson? I think it shows people something about him.

My thought as well...interviewing for leverage***

Dec 3, 2007, 10:34 PM [ in reply to If Bowden did indeed talk to Arkansas it was probably just ]

Sweet - take your dog and pony show to Ark, TB!

Dec 3, 2007, 7:58 PM

You can't leave town soon enough.

Re: Ah, the ALL KNOWING MACINTIGER GRACES US

Dec 3, 2007, 8:01 PM

how you doin ? may I please comment ?

yuor negativity is constant, consistent and seriously ignorant...take it elsewhere.

Guess what else...... YOU"RE IN THE MINORITY .... keep talking, no one's listening.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ah, the ALL KNOWING MACINTIGER GRACES US

Dec 3, 2007, 8:28 PM

I couldn't have said it any better....totally agree.

If no one listening, why do you respond? I would like to

Dec 3, 2007, 10:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Ah, the ALL KNOWING MACINTIGER GRACES US ]

extend TB and pay him and give a big buyout, but veryone has a right to express their thoughts on the matter. If I could have DF back, all bets are off.

Apparently some people here want to repeat the 90s.***

Dec 3, 2007, 8:56 PM [ in reply to Sweet - take your dog and pony show to Ark, TB! ]

Re: Apparently some people here want to repeat the 90s.***

Dec 3, 2007, 9:13 PM

Apparently some people here want to remain mediocre and are afraid to be better ...

Apparently some people don't value the good he does

Dec 3, 2007, 9:32 PM

keeps players out of trouble, graduates them, turns them into respectable young men, and he OWNS South Carolina.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Other coaches graduate good kids too AND they win titles!!!***

Dec 3, 2007, 11:40 PM

AND They get ther programs in trouble with the NCAA.***

Dec 4, 2007, 7:45 AM

Re: Other coaches graduate good kids too AND they win titles!!!***

Dec 4, 2007, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Other coaches graduate good kids too AND they win titles!!!*** ]

JUST NOT AT CLEMSON...........

Yeah... at Wake Forest.***

Dec 4, 2007, 11:05 PM

If you think 9 wins is mediocre, you have a seriously warped

Dec 3, 2007, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Apparently some people here want to repeat the 90s.*** ]

idea of mediocre. 6-6 is mediocre. 9-3 is not.

4 cupcakes. 5-3 (4th place) in the ACC. Upper-mediocre.

Dec 4, 2007, 12:06 AM

Clemson finished 4th in the ACC this year, and 6th, 5th, and 7th in the previous three years (including tiebreaker criteria). Those were 100% Bowden recruits and 100% mediocre results.

Clemson was #7 in the nation for number of players drafted by the NFL last year (with 11 players going to the NFL in 2007), yet Clemson finished the season UNRANKED. So I don't think one can argue that he hasn't had the talent onboard to win a title. Quite the opposite. Pretty mediocre results from such great talent.

Hawaii might not have played anyone, but no one is saying

Dec 4, 2007, 1:25 AM

their wins don't count. In fact, some people are saying Hawaii deserves a shot at the NC (despite the weak schedule) because undefeated is undefeated, no matter how you cut it.

So however we got those wins doesn't matter to me. We could have a 10 win season, doesn't that count for something?

Re: Apparently some people here want to repeat the 90s.***

Dec 4, 2007, 7:44 AM [ in reply to Apparently some people here want to repeat the 90s.*** ]

I continue to support Bowden, but still feel the best decision was made regarding Hatfield. Completely different situation and not a fair comparison IMO.

Re: Sweet - take your dog and pony show to Ark, TB!

Dec 3, 2007, 10:22 PM [ in reply to Sweet - take your dog and pony show to Ark, TB! ]

It's apparent from what is getting posted here after this news. There are some pretty dumb folks out there while the rest of them are some straight thinkers. Of course, the dumb bunch are those who think this is some great news for Clemson though they don't have a clue what will immediately happen to our program if their wish really did come true. I don't have to elaborate but in short, Clemson football program where it stands today and how close it is to a breakout success as early as next season, all will be simply thrown away if TDP lets CTB leave Clemson.

This is the worst possible time for a head coaching change. Even if there was anyone SOLID lined up to backfill CTB, our next few years are sure to be doomed! Let's just hope this news ends up being on the rumor mill and nothing more than that.

Re: One4Tygers...

Dec 3, 2007, 10:29 PM

I agree. A head coaching change would not be in the best interests of our team at this juncture in history. There's too much riding on next year.

I'm pretty new on this board, but one thing I've learned in a hurry is that Macin does not like Coach Bowden. He doesn't like him to the point that it clouds his judgement. Most reasonable people would understand that this is not the year for a head coaching change.

None of these retards who are shouting 'hooray' at this news

Dec 3, 2007, 8:02 PM

can name ONE viable replacement for TB. How well did FSU pick up on Jimbo Fisher's new scheme this year? We have three years of incoming freshmen who can help teach the offense and defense to the new class, and you idiots want to change the whole staff.

We don't all have to think alike, but we should all stop and THINK!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Re: None of these retards who are shouting 'hooray' at this

Dec 3, 2007, 8:23 PM

I totally agree. Why would you want to get rid of a coach who is doing a pretty decent job by modernizing the stadium, pretty consistently selling out Death Valley, good recruits coming in, a team that believes in itself, etc????

Only if we take a progressive slide for the worse should we change the coaching staff. Remember Ken Hatfield and Tommy West? What did they do? They took a great program and made it worse. TB has taken that and turned it around.

Bud Foster***

Dec 3, 2007, 9:06 PM [ in reply to None of these retards who are shouting 'hooray' at this news ]

You're ####### stupid

Dec 3, 2007, 9:59 PM

Talk about taking a risk just for fuck's sake.

Chuck Norris frequently signs up for beginner karate classes, just so he can "accidentally" beat the s*it out of little kids.

I want TB to stay, but if we survived 1989 (have we?), we

Dec 3, 2007, 10:57 PM [ in reply to None of these retards who are shouting 'hooray' at this news ]

survive anything.

Florida, LSU, BC, ASU, etc did GREAT 1st yr. with new coach!

Dec 4, 2007, 12:26 AM [ in reply to None of these retards who are shouting 'hooray' at this news ]

Florida won a national title in its first year under Urban Myer. LSU won an SEC title in their first year with Les Miles (and a national title 2 years later). BC got to the ACC title game in their first year with coach Jagodinski. ASU went from losers to 2nd-place in the PAC-10 in their first year with coach Erickson. The list goes on and on. It's ridiculous to assume that a coaching change leads to a downturn.

Re: You're good with head coaching stats...

Dec 4, 2007, 12:46 AM

I'd love to the see the rest of this "list" that "goes on and on"...

Better yet - I'd love to see a compilation of coaches that had disasterous first seasons. My hunch is that there are just as many if not more than the fortunate ones.

I'd like to see a compilation of that data too.

Dec 4, 2007, 3:10 AM

Keep in mind that I was only countering an earlier post stating that bringing in a new coach would be disasterous. That's not always true.

I think that if you look at the perennial top teams, you'll see that they achieved success within 1-3 years of the new coaching joining. One exception that I can think of is Beamer, who went for a decade before moving his team into the top tier.

Pete Carroll came into a USC program that was in a decade of decline, where he had a 6-6 first season, followed by a string of PAC-10 titles and two national championships. Tressel and Rodriguez started winning conference titles by their second seasons if I remember correctly.

Louisville fell into oblivion within one season of losing Petrino to the NFL.

Notre Dame seems to have gotten worse under Charlie Weiss, though not necessarily in his first year.

Butch Davis, Tom Obrien, and Randy Shannon didn't inspire first-year turnarounds, but I don't think that their teams did any worse.

I'd love to see a compilation of the data.

Razzmatazz, you're a RazzmaFAG!

Dec 4, 2007, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Florida, LSU, BC, ASU, etc did GREAT 1st yr. with new coach! ]

you comments are nothing but constantly and consistently negative also. All you talk about is how great other teams are, so just get your faggoty @$$ the hell out of Clemson and go cheer for those that you love so much, b/c we certainly don't need you here!! And those three teams/coaches you mentioned had players that stepped up made plays and won games when it was required. Our minute shortfalls have been due to just the opposite, our playmakers dropping balls, missing FGs at the most opportune times that make the difference in us winning/playing for the ACC title.

Not to mention that you yourself have pointed out 3-4 times now on this site that we've gone from 7th to 6th, 5th, 4th in the ACC in past 4 years, but yet you don't see improvement. We were never bowl eligible 9cons. years in the 90s, but we are since TB came in 1998. We have improved facilities and recruiting 50-fold. TB is one of only 6 coaches in the country to take Div I-A program bowl eligible for the past 11 consecutive seasons. If you don't like Tommy Bowden's & Clemson's progress and are never going to continue to have faith in the program and just point to how great other programs are then go the f*&# away and cheer for those programs, b/c EVERYONE on this site is tired of hearing from you and your posts are always opposed in the replies. Thanks, have a great day being a fair-weather (notice I don't say gloomy or stormy) fan.

and P.S. instead of an orange shirt, wear a big target shirt to the Peach Bowl or opening date next year so I know who to shoot at the game.

Very intelligent, mature, Christian response. Thanks.***

Dec 4, 2007, 10:57 PM

Re: Very intelligent, mature, Christian response. Thanks.**

Dec 5, 2007, 10:59 AM

yea well, you still presented no counter to the stats mentioned! Plus, Bowden is:
3rd in Clemson history in total victories
2nd in Clemson history w/ wins over top 25 teams
1st in Clemson history w/ .778 win % over South Carolina

This is the worst news I have heard all day!***

Dec 3, 2007, 8:41 PM

Dec 3, 2007, 8:48 PM

"We got who we got" -- RH

To the haters: Thanks for killin our recruitin class.***

Dec 3, 2007, 8:58 PM

or thanks for saving the program***

Dec 3, 2007, 9:06 PM

Re: or thanks for saving the program***

Dec 3, 2007, 9:14 PM

Amen, most recruits come to Clemson for Clemson, not Bowden.

That is EXTREME ignorance.

Dec 3, 2007, 9:31 PM

"I don't care who the coach is, I'm going to ________."

That never came out of the mouth of any recruit that had more than one offer.

null

Re: Couldn't disagree more

Dec 3, 2007, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: or thanks for saving the program*** ]

with that statement. Do you really think that or do you just hate Coach Bowden so much that you've lost all common sense?

you two coots are complete and total idiots

Dec 3, 2007, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: or thanks for saving the program*** ]

consistantly winning 8-9 games a year and putting the team in position to win the ACC EVERY YEAR is really bringing the program to its knees. How quickly you forget the state of the program when he found it.

Photobucket

Dec 3, 2007, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Re: or thanks for saving the program*** ]

I disagree...I believe that most walk-ons come to Clemson for Clemson, however, most of the skill players come to Clemson because their talents (whatever they may be) best fit in the system that is being coached.

Dec 4, 2007, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: or thanks for saving the program*** ]

Really??? not at all what CJ Spiller said after the BC game. If Tommy Bowden was fired, he said he would probably be following him out the door.

tell me how dropping our recruiting class out of the top 20

Dec 3, 2007, 9:43 PM [ in reply to or thanks for saving the program*** ]

will save the program? Do you not know how college football works, or are you just a coot in disguise?

Hiring a championship coach is good for recruiting long term***

Dec 4, 2007, 12:33 AM

Who exactly are we going to get? The tommy haters are just

Dec 4, 2007, 1:26 AM

going to jump on whoever comes in after 1 season, and any coach looking our way will know that.

Fire Tommy, and I guarantee a return to the 90s.

Re: Hiring a championship coach is good for recruiting long term***

Dec 4, 2007, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Hiring a championship coach is good for recruiting long term*** ]

Who is this alleged "championship coach" that is going to come to a school that runs off a coach who graduatess great kids and wins 9 games in a season? Who's coming to our school that has the 7th highest paid coach but expects him to be first on the field? Please tell me! Is it Vince Lombardi? Maybe Tom Landry? How about Tommy West and 4-7. Razz, you live in a dream world.

I provided three lists of candidates above. There are more.***

Dec 4, 2007, 11:09 PM

Did a change kill LSU, UF, USC, OSU classes? I think not.***

Dec 4, 2007, 12:55 AM [ in reply to To the haters: Thanks for killin our recruitin class.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Re: Did a change kill LSU, UF, USC, OSU classes? I think no

Dec 4, 2007, 10:49 AM

and when have we been able to compare ourselves to the perenial class of those 4 schools? you're an idiot. We aren't elite enough to maintain classes like that through coaching changes. And we never will be if fans keep hollering for coaches' heads w/ 8-9 win seasons. LOOK @ NOTRE DAME!!!

Dec 3, 2007, 2:50 PM

Anyone else out there take this as a compliment to our coach and program that other schools, especially one in the SEC, are interested in possibly hiring Bowden as their head coach?

Just a thought in all of this negativity...

If Bowden took the job at AR, that would be funny...

Dec 3, 2007, 11:01 PM

didn't they just fire a guy who had a better SEC record than Tommy has in the ACC? Ya think they might be a little less patient than we are with Tommy?

Arkansas last won a conference title in 1989. PERFECT FIT!!!

Dec 3, 2007, 11:38 PM

Arkansas seems satisfied with being in the upper middle of their conference. Bowden should be a perfect fit for them, since he's lead Clemson to the upper middle of the ACC for NINE years. Good luck! Take Spence. Leave Koenning.

Re: When you really think about it...

Dec 3, 2007, 11:54 PM

this is not the time for this. We know you don't like CTB Razz, but use your noggin'. Lot's of talent returning, stellar class of recruits coming in, did more than anyone thought we would this year (except our players of course and maybe even CTB).

Don't let the hate blind you.

When you really think about it, nothing has changed.

Dec 4, 2007, 1:24 AM

I've been hearing this same "now is not the time because next year could be great now that we finally have talent" argument for MANY years now. Same old, same old.

For the first few years, the excuse was that he was playing with other coach's recruits. (And I'll buy that to some extent.) But we've been playing with 100% Bowden recruits since 2004. Since then we've finished 7th, 5th, 6th, and 4th in the ACC.

Last year, Clemson ranked 7th in the number of players drafted by the NFL, including the 4th pick overall, but Clemson finished unranked (and 6th in the ACC). Apparently we've had top tier player talent for several years now (thanks to Bowden & staff). Player talent hasn't been the problem.

If Davis, Kelly, Hamlin, et al, bolt for the NFL, I wonder how you'll feel about our returning talent.

Clemson finished 5-3 in the ACC. You think that exceeded expectations? I don't recall seeing one pre-season sports-writer prediction that Clemson would go less than 5-3. Our expectations are low because we're so accustomed to Bowden going 5-3 or 4-4 every year

I don't hate Bowden. And if you go back over my posts, you'll see that I've been saying that I'd give him one more year to win an ACC title (partially because I wouldn't want to pay his $2.5M buyout). But if he chooses to jump to Arkansas, I'd embrace the opportunity to bring in a new type-A, grade-A, championship-caliber coach. Florida, LSU, ASU, BC, et al did great under new coaches (as I posted above). Don't be afraid of change. We could foolishly hire a worse coach. But we could wisely hire a better coach. It's not a coin toss.

Re: Arkansas last won a conference title in 1989. PERFECT FIT!!!

Dec 4, 2007, 1:15 AM [ in reply to Arkansas last won a conference title in 1989. PERFECT FIT!!! ]

Not to be negative, but I am actually thinking you might be a PERFECT fit "pulling against" some other team. Maybe you should wait until the national champion is crowned and pull for them. And of course next year when they are not as good, you can jump to another team that wins the national championship or conference championship (you can pick the conference)..........and you will be eternally joyful. I am a Clemson FAN and want all the athletes and non-athletes to be successful (I know you have seen the ncaa commercials about "not going pro")......which is about much more than wins and loses. I still compete at various sports and I am 50 years old and still hate to lose BUT I am mature enough that my life (and my perspective concerning Clemson) does not revolve around wins and loses. I only write this to give my wholehearted support for Coach TB as he is the right man for the job..........of developing success stories at Clemson. And I know everyone on these boards must think they are all knowing and that this stuff could actually affect who is the CU football coach. We are all kidding ourselves. Go Tigers

Clemson grad. Clemson fan. Just not a big fan of mediocrity.

Dec 24, 2022, 6:02 AM

Your comments make little sense, and frankly I suspect that you were drunk when you wrote them. I'm a Clemson grad and a diehard Clemson fan. Why would I pull for some other team?

I just want my alma mater to be championship caliber. Bowden hasn't brought Clemson to that level in NINE years. If he quits, I'd embrace the opportunity hire a championship-caliber coach. I respect your right to feel differently.

We all know that there are more important things in life than winning and losing and that these forums don't decide Bowden's fate. But thanks for inculcating.

Re: Clemson grad. Clemson fan. Just not a big fan of mediocrity.

Dec 4, 2007, 9:57 AM

Clemson Grad as well and don't drink.............and as for being up in the middle of the night...I had just finished repairing water pipe under the house

Go Tigers!

Re: Clemson grad. Clemson fan. Just not a big fan of mediocr

Dec 4, 2007, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Clemson grad. Clemson fan. Just not a big fan of mediocrity. ]

hey razz, you should learn how to properly use "inculcate" in an accurate sense

We won't get anyone good; we refuse to pay Tommy what he's

Dec 4, 2007, 1:27 AM [ in reply to Arkansas last won a conference title in 1989. PERFECT FIT!!! ]

worth (even if you don't think so, compare him to other D1 coaches). So who, pray tell, will $$ stingy Clemson hire?

Clemson can afford to hire a top tier coach.

Dec 4, 2007, 2:00 AM

Our AD must be smart enough to know that top-tier multi-million dollar coaches pay for themselves through increased revenues.

If Bowden were leading Clemson to the top of the ACC with an occassional ACC title, I'd agree that Bowden is underpaid. But I think he's amply paid for delivering upper-middle-of-the-pack ACC finishes for NINE years.

Dec 4, 2007, 1:21 AM

So ESPN just reported that TB is getting offered an excess of $2 million to go to Arkansas... I just hope he doesn't leave! :(

The same people who reported Les Miles left for Michigan.***

Dec 4, 2007, 2:07 AM

Replies: 96
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic