Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 74
| visibility 1

Serious

Aug 15, 2014, 2:59 PM

Todd Gurley was pretty much bottled up last year except for the one busted long run and then a couple decent gainers in the second half. Mix that in with the fact that they had one of the most prolific passers in SEC history as well. We had stretches of that game when we literally forced something like 5 or 6 three and outs in a row. We won, and it should have been by a wider margin by most accounts.

So, riddle me this...

Yeah, they return Gurley. Great back. But now he's got a greenhorn back there at QB. If we are able to even moderately contain Gurley again this year, then how does Georgia win this game?

I see some UGA posters on here scoffing at the idea that their offense won't somehow be record setting.

Frankly, I don't see it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Gurley

Aug 15, 2014, 3:05 PM

He only rushed the ball 12 times for 154 yards. Thats 12.8 yards per rush.

That's not bottling him up.

Even if you take away the 75 yard touchdown run, it's 11 rushes for 79 yards (which is over 7 yards a rush).

We bottled up Marshall pretty well, but Gurley ran very well against us.

That's not to say we're doomed or anything, but I wouldn't say we bottled up Gurley at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm aware of the totals, and I mentioned the long run

Aug 15, 2014, 3:07 PM

but frankly I don't think 11 rushes for 79 yards is gashing our defense. Let's say we don't have a brain fart on defense this year, and we take the long one out of the equation. Heck, let's even say he gets 100 yards. Again, I don't see that as gashing, and I don't see how Mason does anything to help open the rushing lanes either.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

My point

Aug 15, 2014, 3:09 PM

Is that giving up 154 yards on 12 carries is not bottling up a runner. Now, overall we did pretty well against their offense, but Gurley ran well against us. It's not a prophecy of doom or anything, but it's the simple truth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right, I'm not arguing that we held Gurley to zero yards

Aug 15, 2014, 3:12 PM

I'm saying that if you take out one single play, then it wasn't the worst run defense known to man the rest of the game. I'm in agreement that overall he had a great game.

7 yards per carry is terrible, what are you talking about?***

Aug 15, 2014, 4:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Admittedly, I should have chosen my words more wisely

Aug 15, 2014, 4:16 PM

It's more about what Mason adds to the running game vs. Murray, who was one of the all time SEC passing leaders.

Re: Admittedly, I should have chosen my words more wisely

Aug 15, 2014, 4:19 PM

So what makes Mason "able to get it don't" and Cole "inexperienced?" 2 starts? I think not. Cole was groomed out of the womb to be a QB...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, what?

Aug 15, 2014, 4:22 PM

Was that meant for me.

Because I totally agree with what you are saying.

If they are able to run like that and don't have

Aug 15, 2014, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Admittedly, I should have chosen my words more wisely ]

injuries, it won't really matter what Mason brings.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm aware of the totals, and I mentioned the long run

Aug 15, 2014, 3:16 PM [ in reply to I'm aware of the totals, and I mentioned the long run ]

Keep in mind he sat out for like 10 minutes or so of the game because he tweaked a hammie or something. So the 11 for 79 is limited duty. Mason has thrown for 250 in the 2 games he started, And the Nebraska game was in a torrential downpour. Mason wont win the Heisman but he will be able to keep you honest. If Gurley, would have been healthy and rushed 22 times and maintained that average, that would be a gashing. Ultimately, he did gash you when he was in but unfortunately for us, he wasn't in that much

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure, we can speculate that he might have had

Aug 15, 2014, 3:20 PM

more yards, but at the end of the day the running game wasn't enough, even as successful as it may have been, and that's with Murray at QB.

I don't see how putting Mason in somehow greatly tips the scales even with a decent running game in UGA's favor.

Aug 15, 2014, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm aware of the totals, and I mentioned the long run ]

Did he tweak that hammy at the same time the reciever tore his acl ?
Georgia better be a ton better on defense this year , would be my advice to them . They are a one-trick pony on offense and I am certain BV is well planned for the stuff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 15, 2014, 3:23 PM

Nebrasker won that game , right ? Did it only torrent on the Dawgs side of the field ?
Clemson > Nebraska

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 15, 2014, 3:25 PM

Oh , they lost because they ran the ball well and we anticipated their snap count.
Fluff them pillows , this dude done put it to bed !

DB23

Aug 15, 2014, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm aware of the totals, and I mentioned the long run ]

So, yes. He did. The Bulldogs lost tailback Todd Gurley and wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell on the same play. Gurley strained a thigh muscle on a 75-yard touchdown run in the first quarter, and Mitchell aggravated a right knee injury when he leaped in the air celebrate with Gurley in the end zone.

Mitchell never returned. Gurley came back to rushed for 154 yards and two touchdowns. But he finished with only 12 carries and missed long stretches of the second and third quarters.

Aug 15, 2014, 3:45 PM [ in reply to I'm aware of the totals, and I mentioned the long run ]

Well we know what to expect with Gurley. He did pull his quad on the long run so he played the rest of the game injured. I think the bigger question is the tigers backfield. No proven production at RB or QB.

Aug 15, 2014, 4:20 PM

And THUGA has ZERO depth on the OL. Once Your OL starts to get rag dolled again you're in trouble. If Mason survives through 4 qtrs I'll be amazed. Your best bet will probably be trick plays to keep our D honest. Won't work

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2014, 5:02 PM

### ever. We are set two deep on the OL. A lot better shape than you'll be w/o Beasley & Anthony. Now who has the real depth issue?

I'll mop up my tears with my ESPN200 backups***

Aug 15, 2014, 5:15 PM

I guess my point is if they couldn't use their running

Aug 15, 2014, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Gurley ]

game to beat us with one of the top all-time SEC QBs under center, then why should we think they will with Mason?

Re: I guess my point is if they couldn't use their running

Aug 15, 2014, 3:10 PM

Mason runs the Zone read pretty well, that should give Mike Bobo a total of 6 plays that he can call now.

Mason won't do much if any zone read.

Aug 15, 2014, 3:12 PM

NM

Watch Gt and Nebraska games

Aug 15, 2014, 3:13 PM

I wouldn't bet on that

Re: Watch Gt and Nebraska games

Aug 15, 2014, 3:41 PM

I have, multiple times. Bobo has that play in the books as a decoy for other teams to have something else to prepare for. It is in no way a staple of the UGA offense, nor will it be next year.

If it is run much, it will be because the backup QB Faton Bauta is in the game. He has the athletic chops to run that play. Mason doesn't.

Re: Watch Gt and Nebraska games

Aug 15, 2014, 5:42 PM

you are right, he only ran it 2-3x per game.

On that I agree

Aug 15, 2014, 3:11 PM [ in reply to I guess my point is if they couldn't use their running ]

I think our defense did pretty well, but to be honest it wasn't bottling up UGA last year.

We did enough to win, and that's good enough for me again this year.

Re: Gurley

Aug 15, 2014, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Gurley ]

Actually, we kept him fairly bottled up when you look at the truth....majority of those yards, he got in 4 plays of that 12 (accounting for 132 of the yards)...1 in the 1st (75 yd), 2 in the 3rd (34 yd total), 1 in the 4th (23 yd)

Play Gain/Loss Qtr
pass 1 yd 1st
rush 75 yd 1st
rush 4 yd 2nd
pass incomplete 2nd
rush 1 yd loss 2nd
rush 2 yd 2nd
rush 12 yd 3rd
rush 22 yd 3rd
rush 2 yd 3rd
rush 6 yd 3rd
rush 1 yd 3rd
rush 3 yd 4th
rush 23 yd 4th
rush 5 yd 4th

beyond those 4 plays, he averaged roughly 2.3 yds per carry.

Out of here with your stats and your logic!***

Aug 15, 2014, 5:16 PM

Averages can be misleading

Aug 15, 2014, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Gurley ]

The majority of his yards came on two runs, so of course those yards per rush averages are going to look good.

He didn't have nearly as much success the other 10 times.

Serious Answer

Aug 15, 2014, 3:22 PM

I have a two part rebuttal:

1) 1 out of every 4 carries for Gurley went for 20+ yards. That's explosive. He did have some short and even negative carries mixed in there too, because the Clemson DL is very good at getting behind the LOS. Therein lies the rub - because the Clemson defense is so aggressive at shooting gaps to be disruptive in the backfield the downside is the vulnerability to big plays when gap control is lost.

2) Clemson, by the second quarter, had UGA's silent count figured out, and very easily was able to anticipate the snap and get an extra split second off the ball. This of course was because of crowd noise forcing UGA's hand and not being able to easily vary the count. That won't be the case again this year, as UGA's offense will be able to mix up the count and take away that split second advantage from last year.

Fair points, but

much of the room that Gurley had to run through had to be at least in some part due to some success by Murray throwing. So, take him out, and then add Mason. I don't think he'll be as successful throwing against our improved secondary, so I think Clemson's defense will be able to focus more on bottling the run.

Don't sleep on Mason

Aug 15, 2014, 3:52 PM

Remember, this will be the first time that he's been able to start a game at home. He wasn't perfect in his two starts last year, but what QB is?

He isn't the weapon that Murray was by a long margin, but he is more than capable of making the proper throw at the proper time given enough time in the pocket. I, of course, know the counter will be that Clemson's DL will put too much pressure on Mason for him to be comfortable, but as good as I think they are it is pretty easy to see how much better UGA's offense is at home rather than on the road.

The reason behind this is pretty simple. UGA relies heavily calls at the LOS for the offense to work as intended. They aren't a shiny new, fancy spread offense that can exploit mismatches through motion and multiple options from one play. They are more old school where it's important to line up and see what the defense is showing you to make the appropriate calls at the LOS.

Fair enough, but

Aug 15, 2014, 3:55 PM

my point is that I don't see him being the passer Murray was from the outset.

Clemson won facing Murray AND Gurley AND Marshall with this same defense basically.

Mason might have a decent game, but I don't see him boosting the offense beyond or even up to the level of Murray.

Re: Fair enough, but

Aug 15, 2014, 4:08 PM

You are right. He isn't the passer Murray is.

However, the conditions he will be facing are much more favorable. He'll be able to vary the snap count to slow down the DL and to make the correct calls at the LOS due to lessened crowd noise. So, will he be able to take over the game and win it with his arm? No, he will not, but he doesn't need to either. He just needs to get the ball out on a consistent basis and his two starts indicate that he is capable of doing so.

"Get it out" so it can be met... Those delayed passes, nada.***

Aug 15, 2014, 4:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fair enough, but

Aug 15, 2014, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Fair enough, but ]

Lol @ spiller. I'll bet he thinks stoudt can beat Ga just because Boyd did. Nevemind Boyd was their greatest QB ever. Stoudt is better......his dad was a pro you know!

Yeah, that's exactly what I said...

Aug 15, 2014, 4:19 PM

idgit.

Shows your lack of knowledge of Clemson Football

Aug 15, 2014, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Fair enough, but ]

Who ever said Boyd was our best QB? Do you believe what you type? You STUpid

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ this is really dumb ^^^***

Aug 15, 2014, 4:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shows your lack of knowledge of Clemson Football

Aug 15, 2014, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Shows your lack of knowledge of Clemson Football ]

Maybe it was all the records he set.....So there's that. Just who in your mind was better?

Depends on how you measure "better"

Aug 15, 2014, 5:19 PM

Whitehurst was unquestionably the better passer. Dantzler was unquestionably a better runner. Homer Jordan was unquestionably able to guide us to the promised land.

"Slow down the DL"... at least you understand your problem.

Aug 15, 2014, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Fair enough, but ]

Good frickin' luck...

That will certainly tell the tale of the game .....

Aug 15, 2014, 4:30 PM

We'll see if UGA's OL is up to the challenge. Camp reports have been favorable, but the proof is in the pudding.

Re: That will certainly tell the tale of the game .....

Aug 15, 2014, 4:33 PM

Camp reports. The reporters work for the university ?
I can tell you don't rational much , bro.

DB23

Thanks for the constructive criticism ...

Aug 15, 2014, 4:35 PM

I'll work on that.

Considering how many you replaced off that highly rated OL

Aug 15, 2014, 4:34 PM [ in reply to That will certainly tell the tale of the game ..... ]

from last year, I wonder what you think would be an advantage this year. We get EVERYBODY back and they won that contest last year. Do you 'siriusly' think your new boys are going to do better? Again, good frickin' luck....

None of the ones UGA lost were drafted,

Aug 15, 2014, 4:40 PM

So I'm not so sure where the "highly rated" comment comes from.

The Clemson DL is a formidable force. They may be the best DL UGA faces all year. That being said, football is a game of inches and split seconds. The smallest things can make the biggest differences, and as I've already alluded to in this thread, there are a couple of those small differences that play into UGA's favor this year. We will soon find out how big they turn out to be.

3 deep at the DTs. Three. You'll 'understand' on 8/30.***

Aug 15, 2014, 4:50 PM

Clemson does have a talented team.

Aug 15, 2014, 5:28 PM

Fortunately, so does UGA. Should be a fun one.

I don't doubt GA's talent but I'm talking experience...***

Aug 15, 2014, 5:32 PM

Re: Considering how many you replaced off that highly rated OL

Aug 15, 2014, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Considering how many you replaced off that highly rated OL ]

Why not? Yall seem to think your offense isn't going to miss a step and actually be better than last year? When you have olinemen suspended for our game and your QB starting his first game in a opponent's own stadium.

Re: Fair points, but

Aug 15, 2014, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Fair points, but ]

He threw for 299 yard's against Nebraska and their secondary was ranked 31st last year. And your secondary isn't as good as theirs so I don't see how your defense can just focus on the running game, if Clemson does choose to stack the line Mason will burn them!!

Re: Fair points, but

Aug 15, 2014, 9:30 PM

Nebraska was by far your worst rushing performance of the year. This means that Mason was forced to pass more often than I'm sure the Georgia coaches would like. He completed 53% of his passes while throwing only 101 yards of his total number to WRs. Don't forget UGA lost that game. Your top TE is gone from that equation and our DL will play well enough to keep our LBs free enough to shadow Gurley wherever he goes.

Your stats intrigued me

Aug 15, 2014, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Serious Answer ]

So I looked them up:

Gurley's largest carries were a 75, 23, 22, and 12. He scored on the 75 and 12 yarders. He carried the ball 12 times. So technically, yes, 1 in 4 of this touches went for first downs or longer(not 20+, but hey, still good). But it also amounted to once a quarter, he had a play like that. This means he was held him to 6 yards or less on 75% of this runs. He had 1 catch for 1 yard.

I saw only 3 drives where TG wasn't in on a play-by-play somewhere (meaning he could have been on the field blocking, but we'll say he wasn't). Of those 3 drives, 2 resulted in TDs in anycase, one by Marshall, and one by Hicks. The last one he wasn't in on was the end of the first half drive of 3 plays. (He technically noted on the Murray INT drive, but that was a single play that drive).

So I wouldn't really call that explosive. Maybe if he continued that pace and had more carries, it would look better, but the fact is, even without Gurley, on those drives, TDs were scored, so his presence wasn't hurting UGA too badly.

As far as the snap counts, can't really speak to that as I wasn't on the field. Murray was a pro and had good pocket presence despite the noise. Mason doesn't have the practice against a D that is known for a good pass rush.

Clemson

Re: Your stats intrigued me

Aug 15, 2014, 3:57 PM

12 carries isn't a large sample size, so I, of course, don't expect that ratio to hold up on 30 carries or whatever he may get. He will still get his though.

That being said, to be exact 3 carries is exactly 25% of 12 total carries, so the 1 out of every 4 for 20+ is correct mathematically speaking. 1 out of every 3 went for a first down or more.

I stand corrected on the math

Aug 15, 2014, 4:54 PM

crossed 4 carries with 1 out of 4.

He will still get his, no doubt. I don't think anyone will say Gurley won't get a TD or two. But I just didn't see Gurley wear us down, nor did I see his absence hinder points for UGA for those that argue the injury angle. I think we held him quite well and expect to do so again with the same line and many of the same LBs.

Clemson

Aug 15, 2014, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Your stats intrigued me ]

Gurley also had two carries erased by blocking penalties that we accepted. They went for 1 and -2 yards. As far as Gurley I attribute two of his runs to his superior ability at Arab the 22 and 12 yarder. On both plays we had absolutely swallowed up the blocking he was supposed to follow. However we also badly overplayed them allowing Gurley's patience and vision to hurt us with a cutback. The 75 yard run DJ Howard could have done and the 23 yarder as that came late in the game when we had dropped all LBs into deep coverage. Gurley also had a target that he dropped.

You could say Gurley gashed us but you could also say we left openings we shouldn't have for him to take advantage of. Those openings weren't there on the other plays or for Keith Marshall who is also an incredibly talented back.

Aug 15, 2014, 4:29 PM

at RB* iPhone strikes again.

I was wondering ....

Aug 15, 2014, 4:33 PM

Good thing Gurley's turban doesn't get in the way of his helmet.

Re: Serious

Yeah considering how's my carries and how many yards, I wouldn't call that bottled up. Mike Davis was bottled up, Gurley was not

Fair enough, just pretend I didn't use the phrase bottled up

Aug 15, 2014, 3:26 PM

My point is that regardless of how well UGA ran, it was with Murray at QB. Now in steps Mason. I don't see him being as successful, and I think that will hurt the running game.

Re: Fair enough, just pretend I didn't use the phrase bottled up

Aug 15, 2014, 3:32 PM

A much better statement that I can support. I give belated TU.

Admittedly I've been talking in circles here

Aug 15, 2014, 3:34 PM

Trying to right the ship.

And no, dawgs, not a Vandy joke.

Wait, yes it is.

Well, the game's in Athens...

and that will change things a bit. I think our defense really fed off the crowd last year, and Murray may have been thrown off for a little while. So our guys were pretty jacked up, and they played with more intensity than UGa's OL. That higher level of intensity might also have something to do with the LBs overrunning their gaps and giving up big plays to Gurley, too.

That said, I don't think you can take away from Gurley's performance just because a lot of his yards came on big plays. Somehow, he made those big plays, while Marshall really couldn't do anything at all.

I see now that I shouldn't have used the phrase bottled up

Aug 15, 2014, 3:28 PM

and I am not bashing Gurley's game. My point was supposed to be, though admittedly unclear, that I don't see their running game being as successful with Mason as it was with Murray.

Re: I see now that I shouldn't have used the phrase bottled up

Aug 15, 2014, 3:35 PM

I think of Georgia is smart they run the toss sweep over and over, they ran that play maybe 5 times against Clemson and it went for 15+ every time. Run away from Clemson strength, make the unproven secondary make open field tackles, size disadvantage there for sure. Hopefully we have a linebacker not named Shuey to make an open field unassisted tackle.

Hopefully the coaches will watch last year's tape

Aug 15, 2014, 3:37 PM

and specifically highlight plays in which we were gashed. I would imagine we'll be better prepared for them. It's not like we are coming into this game wondering what we need to focus on.

#TossSweepToGurley

Aug 15, 2014, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: I see now that I shouldn't have used the phrase bottled up ]

This hashtag does put the fear in me. With Clemson's "too deep" front seven - this will be exciting to see who comes up on top. Hopefully we can handle it better.

Re: Well, the game's in Athens...

Aug 15, 2014, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Well, the game's in Athens... ]

Second time facing the Gurshall should be in Clemson's defensive favor. I mean , how much do they expect to do differently ? Without a great passing game (Mitchell is still questionable ) how do the experts give Uga any advantage over Clemson's more experienced , deeper front 7 ?

DB23

Brah, TU

Aug 15, 2014, 3:31 PM

You argued my point better than I can.

Thank you.

UGa is also very good at WR

Aug 15, 2014, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Well, the game's in Athens... ]

Although they're obviously not going to be as good without Scott- Wesley and M. Mitchell.

People are sleeping on our secondary though.

Aug 15, 2014, 3:38 PM

It's deep and I think will be a strength, especially if Alexander can be as lock down as advertised.

Agreed, and I like Jenkins backing them up

Aug 15, 2014, 3:41 PM

I have a hard time believing they won't be a little prone to the big play without safety help, though. I'm just hoping that Alexander can live up to the seasons that his fellow elite CBs (Hargreaves, Fuller) from the 2013 class had last year.

Re: People are sleeping on our secondary though.

Aug 15, 2014, 3:47 PM [ in reply to People are sleeping on our secondary though. ]

I think the secondary will be much improved now that Darius Robinson is finally gone, I'm just not confident in them tackling Gurley in the open field. I don't think that's a good match up for any team

Replies: 74
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic