Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With the success of the Chick-fil-A openers in Atlanta I've
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 2,951

With the success of the Chick-fil-A openers in Atlanta I've

Aug 23, 2012, 8:45 AM

been wondering if Charlotte has thought about getting in on the action? With the ACC schedule going to 9 games a neutral site game is going to be a lot more favorable for a big name non conference opponent. We already know the stadium is available the opening week of college football. It'd be nice to have another close place to see maybe an ACC/Big 10 or Big 12 matchup or something like that!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Set it up***

Aug 23, 2012, 8:53 AM

Atlanta > Charlotte

Aug 23, 2012, 8:53 AM

GA Dome > Whatever they call it now

Tons of ACC/SEC alumni in Atlanta.

What does that have to do with Charlotte also having games?***

Aug 23, 2012, 8:56 AM

Unless you get SEC involved or Clemson every year for the

Aug 23, 2012, 8:59 AM

ACC then you'll be playing to a 1/2 to 3/4 full stadium.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment....

Aug 23, 2012, 9:03 AM

In addition to Clemson, I think teams like Virginia Tech, FSU and even North Carolina or North Carolian State would have very good attendance for such a game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I don't believe that.

Aug 23, 2012, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Unless you get SEC involved or Clemson every year for the ]

A Va Tech/Boise St matchup in DC had 87,000. Even if Clemson didn't play I'm willing to bet a VT/Michigan matchup or UNC/Texas or a West Virginia/FSU game would fill that place up. Clemson would do the same. I think there's plenty of viable matchups that would generate good attendance. You don't have to have the SEC for that!

You'd have to be VERY selective

Aug 23, 2012, 9:19 AM

Here's what benefits the ATL but not Charlotte:

Very driveable for most ACC/SEC fanbases
If not then cheap plane flights available
Huge almumni populations for ACC/SEC even Big 10
More of a destination location than Charlotte due to being largest city in SE

While the Chick-Fil-A did go outside the ACC/SEC with Boise St. they made sure they had a "home" team that would sell out. DC did the same thing with great success. I may be wrong but I can't see a Charlotte kick-off with an ACC school other than Clemson or VT (FSU isn't making that trek) selling out consistently against a non-SEC opponent. Doubtful you could coerce a Texas or Michigan or Oklahoma to give up a home gate to play an ACC school.

Re: You'd have to be VERY selective

Aug 23, 2012, 9:27 AM

You listed three similarities between Charlotte and Atlanta and then listed those as advantages for Atlanta.

Very driveable for most ACC/SEC fanbases (Not an advantage for Atlanta as Charlotte has this too)

If not then cheap plane flights available (Check)

Huge almumni populations for ACC/SEC even Big 10 (check)

More of a destination location than Charlotte due to being largest city in SE (I'll give you that one)

Re: You'd have to be VERY selective

Aug 23, 2012, 9:59 AM

We'll agree to disagree on all those points.

Look I'm all for any inter-conferences matches. I'd love to see it in Charlotte. I just think it would be hard to sustain.

Think about how many cities host annual kick-off games?

Atlanta & now Dallas because of Jerry Jones. It must be tougher to support than we all realize.

Those teams would not have to give up a home gate.

Aug 23, 2012, 9:36 AM [ in reply to You'd have to be VERY selective ]

Remember we get screwed b/c our rival game takes up a non conference game. Most teams don't. Gives them more freedom to play home and homes with other teams. In this case instead of playing a road game, they get a neutral site game with a home game type payout and that would go on top of their normal number of home games.

I also think you discount some of the travel some Big 12 and Big 10 fans make. Michigan is playing in Dallas this year, West Virginia is in driving distance, remember how many fans A&M and TCU brought to Death Valley? Imagine if more tix were available. Charlotte has plenty of low fair airlines as well.

I think it would be very successful.

LOL....good one.***

Aug 23, 2012, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Atlanta > Charlotte ]

Re: Atlanta > Charlotte

Aug 23, 2012, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Atlanta > Charlotte ]

Atlanta is certainly a better tourist destination than Charlotte but when Charlotte holds an event downtown it's a far better place for fans.

Easier parking, cleaner, less crime, etc.

As far as the Georgia Dome being better than Bank of America Stadium? That's crazy, domes in general are terrible for sports and the Georgia Dome in particular is a terrible place to watch a game.

College games have done really well in Charlotte except when it's a bad matchup or schools with no fanbase.

Even the bowl game here with less than stellar matchups has sold out more than a lot of higher profile games.

Where do you get the GA Dome is terrible for watching a game

Aug 23, 2012, 9:44 AM

The GA Dome is great. Not a bad seat in the house. Parking is great. Concessions are decently priced (compared to other NFL venues). What's the problem?

The seats are pretty far from the field and not on top

Aug 23, 2012, 9:51 AM

of the action like other places. Seems like the seats go out more than they go up. Not very fan friendly for viewing. The upper deck is really a good ways away.

Then the dome itself just kills the atmosphere. Yeah it can get loud in there, but just something about being indoors that just doesn't work. That goes for any dome!

I'll be much happier when it goes away.

Couldn't disagree more

Aug 23, 2012, 10:05 AM

Great viewing.

Incredible atmosphere for college games (Falcons not always).

Easy access in & out (pro tip: never park in the parking deck unless you like sitting in traffic for an hour).

I will agree with you that football is better outdoors & I'd love the Falcons to have an open air stadium. But a dome is needed to attract big events.

Have you been to a lot of the newer NFL stadiums?

Aug 23, 2012, 10:16 AM

A lot of the newer stadiums have done a great job at getting seats at good angles while remaining close to the field, even in the upper decks. Just isn't that way in the Ga Dome. I'd be interested to see what the distance is from the last row to the playing surface is b/c it seems a lot further back. Doesn't make them bad seats (except for some in the upper deck), but comparison wise other stadiums get more people closer to the action and and better views of what is going on.

The ease of getting to/from the Ga Dome is great, I've actually never had a problem getting in and out of any event in Atlanta. They do a really good job.

I do realize the dome serves as a multipurpose facility for events, but b/c of the indoors factor for football I wish they had gone the retractable roof option instead. I'm hearing rumblings that there are proposals of doing that soon.

Amazing how NFL stadiums "age" faster than college

Aug 23, 2012, 1:05 PM

The GA Dome already outdated after only 20 years.

Guess that what happens when you only have 32 teams in a multi-billion dollar industry.

Several seats in the GA Dome have terrible sight lines

Aug 23, 2012, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Couldn't disagree more ]

I have attended more games in the GA Dome than I can count so this assessment is based on direct first hand experience.

Some of the lower level seats are so bad you have to relay entirely on the video boards to see the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Several seats in the GA Dome have terrible sight lines

Aug 23, 2012, 1:13 PM

I've attended probably 50+ football games at the Dome & see no difference than any other stadium.

You're going to have good & bad seats.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure the GA Dome doesn't compare to the newer stadiums (Jerryworld, Arizona, etc.) but its still a great venue. If you think the GA Dome is bad I hope you never had to see a game at the old Atlanta Fulton County Stadium.

Of course we can all agree Death Valley is the best.

Oh Lord ...

Aug 23, 2012, 1:39 PM

the old Fulton County Stadium along with the old Baltimore Colts Stadium and the Cleveland Browns Stadium were among the worst ever for watching football.

All those cookie cutters were the same

Aug 23, 2012, 1:46 PM

Philly, Pittsburg, Cincy, Anaheim, the Astrodome and of couse the beloved AFC.

I think that crappy stadium hosted about 4 post season games combining the Braves & Falcons in it's entire exixtence.

Check!***

Aug 23, 2012, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Where do you get the GA Dome is terrible for watching a game ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It takes aggressive marketing and vision from the ACC

Aug 23, 2012, 8:54 AM

leadership to pull something like that off. Remember, John "Bozo the Clown" Swofford is our leader in the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It takes aggressive marketing and vision from the ACC

Aug 23, 2012, 9:38 AM

I don't think the ACC or Swofford would have any say on who and where Clemson plays for their out of conference opponent.

but with the home-home series no longer an option, I would be in favor of an annual neutral site game. We could renew the UGA rivalry. Play it in ATL or Charlotte to kick off the season. I think it would generate more money for the university than playing Wofford at home (and paying $500,000 to come to Death Valley). And we would still have 7 home games and room for a "cupcake."

While I would support such a game....

Aug 23, 2012, 9:01 AM

I'm not sure how much support this would garner within the Clemson University Athletic Department.

The University is adamant about scheduling seven home games annually. With a nine game conference schedule and the annual match-up against $CU, that only leaves two opportunities to play OOC opponents and those games will generally be reserved for those opponents willing to make a trip to Death Valley without requiring a return trip by Clemson.

Depends on the payout as to whether it would be feasible.***

Aug 23, 2012, 9:03 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These neutral site games are generating more and more

Aug 23, 2012, 9:11 AM [ in reply to While I would support such a game.... ]

money for teams to help compensate for the loss of home games and they don't require a return visit from an opponent. That and the exposure a game like that brings would most likely be enough to sway Clemson to play a game like that every once in a while. Let's be honest, we're not talking about every year. We know that would never happen, but every 4-6 years? I'd say yes.

I've read a couple of good articles about them recently.

Aug 23, 2012, 9:24 AM

Wish I had marked them to link. As you said, there's big money involved, so there's no way they won't happen. It's nice to be on the front end of an up and coming trend. I expect to see more nationwide in the next few years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, I often wondered the same. While Charlotte

Aug 23, 2012, 9:49 AM

may be smaller than Atlanta, it's a great venue for sports. Want to see a packed stadium? Put Clemson and Georgia in there to open a season. Get the liquor and beer outlets to chip in from sales made to the Georgia crowd alone, and they'll make enough money to make up for both team's loss of home games! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chalotte usually does have one early season game outside

Aug 23, 2012, 10:00 AM

of the bowl and ACC championship. Last year it was ECU vs USuC. ECU seems to play a game in Charlotte every year or two.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Put West Virginia in the game and the Stadium will

Aug 23, 2012, 10:11 AM

sell out. Somebody get BoJangles on the phone and work this deal out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 9 game conference schedule is exactly why that WON'T

Aug 23, 2012, 10:45 AM

happen

Care to elaborate on why you feel that way?

Aug 23, 2012, 10:51 AM

I think a neutral site game is the way teams can continue BCS matchups every few years by being able to get a payout to makeup for the lost home game and not have to also give a return game. Obviously not an every year thing, but I think something more and more teams will start doing.

Neutral site games are growing, wouldn't be surprised to see double or triple the amount of these type games over the course of a season in a few years. Why not jump on it now?

Charlotte's hosted a few neutral site games already, each

Aug 23, 2012, 11:14 AM

involving ECU. They played Va. Tech a few years back in Charlotte to open the season and SCAR last year. The Va. Tech game actually drew more people than the SCAR contest, killing the SEC draw theory. Each was fairly successful in terms of ticket sales and overall production.

Held over Labor Day weekend, Charlotte offers a great destination for fan bases that can drive and have the extra day for travel. Air fare is also fairly reasonable for programs further away. I'm surprised they haven't made more of an effort already to better establish an annual event.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson and Temple also played there.***

Aug 23, 2012, 1:08 PM

Replies: 35
| visibility 2,951
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic