Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A few questions for Tiger fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

A few questions for Tiger fans

Nov 26, 2013, 10:13 PM

Do you consider Clemson a mentally tough team? A physically tough one?

How about over the last four years?

What factors do you attribute South Carolina's recent success against Clemson to?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mentally no physically average

Nov 26, 2013, 10:20 PM

I believe coaching was a major difference over the four year streak. I am expecting a different outcome now that we both have had 2 weeks to prepare for each other.

Re: Mentally no physically average

Nov 26, 2013, 10:27 PM

How long does your mother allow you on her puter ????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mentally no physically average

Nov 26, 2013, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Mentally no physically average ]

Fair enough. Not playing NC state the week before will definitely help

tell em, coot!***

Nov 28, 2013, 9:18 AM

One answer for A COOT!!

Nov 26, 2013, 10:28 PM

I believe you're nervous, BOY!!!! Clemson has been mentally and physically tough against the coots for more than a century. Get ready to have your heart torn out, your little streak is done!!!

Re: One answer for A COOT!!

Nov 26, 2013, 10:31 PM

So what was the issue the last four years IYO?

Not Les But I Will Give It A Try

Nov 26, 2013, 11:28 PM

09 - No excuse we were the better team but did not play well; I think we were legitimately looking ahead.

10 - Not good enough

11- Not good enough

12 - We let one get away by not playing to what was going well early on (run the ball) We had several chances and let opportunities slip away. In the second half Tajh began to press and it snowballed.

I think we are mentally tough and physically tough. That is something that has been evident against quality teams in the past (LSU and Ga). It has also been missing as well (FSU). I trust we will bring it Saturday night. The biggest concern I have is that we will press and try to do too much. If we remember what CM said earlier this year "You wont go broke making a profit." we will be fine.

please quite taking this person's bait***

Nov 27, 2013, 8:12 AM

You will find your answer...

Nov 26, 2013, 10:31 PM

...as your players stagger stunned and battered on the turf and your bird-flipping fans are creating a river of red lights into the night.

You will witness the end of all your presumptions and the beginning of a world set right.

GEE-HAW'D!!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You will find your answer...

Nov 26, 2013, 10:34 PM

That answers none of my questions.

What do you attribute our four year run to and in your opinion what has changed this season?

You are on a Clemson Board,

Nov 26, 2013, 10:50 PM

nobody feels obligated to pay your question any attention. You are only a slime bucket COOT, and as you would say anyway,"quit living in the past"!!

Re: You are on a Clemson Board,

Nov 26, 2013, 11:02 PM

LOL

By 'mentally tough' do you mean they can spell 'heard?'

Nov 26, 2013, 10:55 PM

or do you mean they can quickly make up a convincing alibi when they get caught selling drugs?

Re: A few questions for Tiger fans

Nov 26, 2013, 10:56 PM

I believe its all coaching. Its deff not lack of talent. No disrespect to Dabo, cause he has only gotten better each year in my opinion. I know we all can't stand Slurrier, but to be honest...when it started. It was a first year head coach against and already HOF coach, the timing of that just worked out perfect. And to top it off with SC getting more talent than usual, they've just had the advantage with the both combine. I believe Clemson has more talent overall, and you can see everything starting to gel alil better in every aspect now. Mentally and Physically. I believe things are going to start shifting back the way it use to be real soon....starting Sat.

Re: A few questions for Tiger fans

Nov 26, 2013, 11:16 PM

Griggs,

I feel the same way SouthernTiger09 does. A 25 year veteran Hall of Fame NC coach had a four year head start on changing the culture of his program vs. the reigns of the same challenge at Clemson as handed to a rookie head coach.
Some fans on both sides ridicule Dabo for not achieving what Tommy Bowden achieved vs. the Gamecocks. What they are overlooking: both programs were mired in mediocrity during the Bowden years with the edge in mediocrity going to the Gamecocks. Spurrier took over and brought the Gamecocks out of that hole over his first 5 years, having served 4 years before Swinney became head coach. Now in his 5th year, I believe he's tightened things up between the programs. Remember, last year we had a terrible game with the Gamecocks, and it was still a 3 point game late. I like our chances come Saturday.

By 'physically tough' do you mean they don't make excuses

Nov 26, 2013, 10:56 PM

about why they don't feel like playing football one day, or do you mean they can wait till they get to a bathroom instead of peeing in the street?

Sorry if I offended anybody but when it comes to playing from behind

Nov 26, 2013, 11:13 PM

This team does not impress. With the obvious exception being the refreshing LSU game. That being said we play from ahead as well as anybody in the country. I think Dabo knows it and that's why we usually take the first half kick off. If we are clicking early this game is over. If we are not we are only in it as long as our defense can keep it within 7.

Re: Sorry if I offended anybody but when it comes to playing from behind

Nov 26, 2013, 11:24 PM

Good points

Re: Sorry if I offended anybody but when it comes to playing from behind

Nov 28, 2013, 12:35 AM [ in reply to Sorry if I offended anybody but when it comes to playing from behind ]

Clemson has scored first in 3 of the past 4 games and been manhandled in the second half. In fact, I think CU has only scored 16 points total in the last 4 2nd halves - combined.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

What about BC this year? Losing in the 4th, score two TDs

Nov 28, 2013, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Sorry if I offended anybody but when it comes to playing from behind ]

and win by 10. Hold their heisman hopeful to 70 yards. We have not trailed enough to say we can't play from behind really. FSU was an anomaly, not to say it can't happen again, but not our typical game.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think a team that loses to the vols has problems

Nov 26, 2013, 11:18 PM

could be toughness

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think a team that loses to the vols has problems

Nov 26, 2013, 11:30 PM

Graphic,

Some teams have opponents on their schedule that always present problems...a nemesis no matter what their record. USC almost lost to a very bad Vol team last year at home. A late Clowney sack saved it. One could say our struggles with a very bad NC State team earlier could indicate problems as well. Truth is, we always struggle with them, and it's unexplainable. W/o looking it up, I think they had the best record against us of all the ACC teams during the Ford era. I think it was 6-5. And they had some bad teams some of those years.

Mentally tough? Yes. See our ability to win on the road when

Nov 26, 2013, 11:32 PM

we're not at our best as an example. Physically? Yes. See our TFL stats and offensive production, plus the re-emergence of a punishing front 7 as our DL and LB corps has grown up (oh, and there's more coming behind them).

The last four years we've been weeding out the 'one play away' Tommy Bowden mentality and establishing a new paradigm of expectations. Add in a continuous string of top recruiting classes, stocking every position two deep (or more, especially at DT), and the corner has officially been turned.

SCar has been the more talented team the past three years, pure and simple. 2009 was an aberration from this and truly represents the only real slip up, but that's football. 2012 was borderline, but unfortunately we were so depleted in our secondary by the time this game rolled around we let a backup QB torch us for 300+ yards with gigantic 3rd and long breakdowns. I would also add in the fact that SCar manipulated its schedule to either a bye week or a patsy the week prior to playing us over the past seven seasons (5-2 stretch) while we've been wrapped up in conference battles for division championships. That is, up until this year when we will be similarly rested and ready.

Enjoy the next four days, chief. The perfect storm that's been your last four years is coming to a close. It's a shame all you will have to show for it are vintage 4-bomb photos, a historic blowout in your lone championship game appearance, and 6th place conference rings emblazoned with Lord Spurrier's name down the side to celebrate his glory and success. Oh well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Strong close.+1.***

Nov 26, 2013, 11:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mentally tough? Yes. See our ability to win on the road when

Nov 27, 2013, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Mentally tough? Yes. See our ability to win on the road when ]

Wow that was an awesome post, I almost teared up... almost.

+1 for using "chief"***

Nov 28, 2013, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Mentally tough? Yes. See our ability to win on the road when ]

Mentally- yes

Nov 27, 2013, 12:17 AM

We had our @$$ handed to us vs FSU and have turned around and proceeded to win every game by a decent margin. I don't care if you say the teams we beat weren't good, because I've seen far too many Clemson teams lose to lesser teams. Physically, we're more physical on D than we've been in a while. Hard to say about offense because we don't have a power running back, but Tajh runs pretty darn hard. The Coots aren't tougher than FSU and they aren't tougher than us

Why just go back four years?

Nov 27, 2013, 1:43 AM

How about five, ten, even fifty or more? Or, maybe four years is history just like the gamecocks say anything previous to that is. What happens Saturday is all that counts if you are not speaking historically. If you want to talk about currently, all we can do is compare common opponents. That would be UGA. Do you think the Tigers were mentally and physically tough in that game?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Griggs, here's an older Tigers take on our rivalry.

Nov 27, 2013, 6:10 AM

I have repeatedly posted that South Carolina hit the mother lode, when they hired Steve Spurrier, for no doubt he will long be regarded as one of the greatest coaches of the game.

Now, it's taken him a little while, but he has managed to energize the S.C. fan base into believing in the relevancy of the program, as well as producing results on the gridiron. Of course, there have been stumbles, and he has yet to accomplish the one goal he seeks more than anything else: that SEC title. But he's been good for your program.

The fact is that Spurrier has outcoached us the past four years. He has inculcated a warrior-type mentality within the team, thereby making them believe that they can beat Clemson...and they have done so. Kudos to him and the teams for that...even though I hate to admit it.

Sometimes, when a person has been repeatedly beaten in fistfights, he loses self-confidence and tends to cower at rematches. It's a psychological thing that, unfortunately for us, has affected our staff and team. That's what I've alluded to, also, in prior posts: we have to summon up the mental acuity to recognize our talents, our ability to compete and adopt a warrior-type approach ourselves.

Can we do it? Yes, but it has to start with our coaches, then proceed to our team leaders. They have to rouse the troops. I say this knowing a little something about motivation, as I spent three years on the sidelines at Clemson and at away games yelling my head off, encouraging our fans and team.

I may differ from some other fans, because I've just experienced too many of these games over the years not to know that the series flip-flops from time to time, even though Clemson has had a good run the past 30 years. I, also, know that attitudes now differ somewhat among both fan bases than they were 50 years ago, for there seems to be more emphasis now on conference games, titles, bowl games, etc.

What will be this game's outcome? He!l, if I knew that, I'd look for a bookie. I "expect" us to righten the ship this year, for I know Dabo and Co. and the team have had unrelenting pressure on them to do so. Spurrier on the other hand will no doubt want another notch: the first coach of the Gamecocks to post a "five-peat." I'm hoping he might "slightly" forget that during the game....lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Griggs, here's an older Tigers take on our rivalry.

Nov 27, 2013, 6:51 AM

Very Well Said !!!!!----- We have to get the "" win/win attitude"" back into this game, for players & coaches **** talk,uniforms,headlines, or stats,don't win the game ---- mental attitude & solid play,without mistakes, will win the ball game Saturday night -----hoping we can ""de-flate"" the OBS's Ego on his home field !!!!!____________GO TIGERS !!!!

Re: Griggs, here's an older Tigers take on our rivalry.

Nov 27, 2013, 6:23 PM [ in reply to Griggs, here's an older Tigers take on our rivalry. ]

Great points all around. I tend to agree with just about everything here, Spurrier has done wonders

Spurrier has done wonders?

Nov 28, 2013, 10:54 AM

Wow, that really puts things into perspective. 1 division title, 0 conference championships, 0 BCS bowls.

Wonders indeed

Lots of LUCK. usc is the LUCKIEST

Nov 27, 2013, 6:25 AM

team in America. Have you watched them this season??? They are not a very good football team... We ll see if it lasts another year

a question for you too, why when you talk history, is the

Nov 27, 2013, 7:21 AM

cut-off always 4 years ? not 1, not 3, not 5 or 10. that lets' everyone know from the get-go, that your stance is pro-c0cks. p.s. don't worry about whether or not we are mentally or physically tough, as you have more than enough to worry about, on your own team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: a question for you too, why when you talk history, is the

Nov 27, 2013, 9:36 PM

4 years is the cutoff because thats when the rivalry took a noticeable turn for the Gamecocks. My question was about the current era and why people thought that things changed when they did.

that validates exactly what i just said . and also shows why

Nov 28, 2013, 1:20 AM

no c0cklover can be taken serious when they use that time frame. it shows they know what happened prior, but want to dismiss those facts, while bringing up what suits them.

I smell chicken manure***

Nov 27, 2013, 7:30 AM

Real success = proper grammar.

Nov 27, 2013, 8:01 AM

Please continue your education. Good Luck!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

stupid question

Nov 27, 2013, 8:07 AM

Questions like yours are stupid. I tell yoi what you line up in front of anyone on our team or any other for that matter & run a few plays then decide if they are mentally & physically tough or not. I get so tired of a bunch of do nothing never have beens all the time questioning top flight elite athletes mental & physical toughness. They Are Very Tough!

Apply your questions to the history of the series

Nov 27, 2013, 8:15 AM

first. Then "talk". You might better return to your board.

holtz got his ncaa probation, slurrier got his, next***

Nov 27, 2013, 7:59 PM

To the posters who gave good answers

Nov 27, 2013, 8:15 PM

I have another question I would like an honest answer to. If USC does win, what do you think the reason will be for them winning? Coaching? Toughness? Ability to respond to adversity? I'll be the first to say I don't think there's a talent difference this year. Just what would give Carolina the edge to win this game in your opinion?

steroids and pain killers, that old black magic***

Nov 27, 2013, 8:51 PM

Re: To the posters who gave good answers

Nov 27, 2013, 10:52 PM [ in reply to To the posters who gave good answers ]

Your Granny's army boots may be strung a little tighter!

Nothing. They won't win***

Nov 28, 2013, 9:34 AM [ in reply to To the posters who gave good answers ]

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic