Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy

Mar 28, 2020, 7:36 AM

Whatsoever. Dispense with the 'it's only 'x' percent of the population of 'y''. Many are smart enough to realize there's a time and place for percentages...and this isn't one of them. @ssoywaker® and others in the medical profession are taking time from their VERY busy days to offer updates on the 'REALITY' of the situation. That I'm not there doesn't diminish his reality...but I know enough to realize his reality isn't one I'd like to be in.

Screw the flu comparisons...or the annual number of deaths in the US by all causes. When...WHEN in your lifetimes have you seen our medical community overwhelmed by an event? An event that, for the percentage lovers out there, may ultimately amount to 1 or 2 percent of the national...or global population directly affected.

Then think about this: what happens when the next 'bug' is five times worse...on all levels. Are we going to sit 'high and mighty' suggesting government should have been prepared?

There are lives affected...and deaths as outcomes. Those are the only numbers that matter. How we help in our small, virtually microscopic ways, has a lasting impact. But one singularly selfish act, undoes all that a hundred tried by doing right. That seems almost criminal.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy

Mar 28, 2020, 8:14 AM

^^^ POTD ^^^

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2020, 8:57 AM

Why post this on the Clemson Football board?

It's great that you feel convicted enough to put your thoughts into words, but lecturing everybody on a Football board is strange.

Idiots abound, but chiding people on an internet sports board is regressive.

Most people are fine to deal with 80% of the time. During high stress events normally sane people migrate into that 20% area and often exhibit completely un-hinged behavior. We're witnessing some of that right now. The panickers, authoritarians, sensationalists, and oblivious are out in full-force.

Besides self-control, the other thing I notice lacking on Tigernet lately is a whole lot of common sense.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2020, 9:09 AM

He posted in the amphitheatre board. Not the football board but that doesn't even matter. Not sure I get your point. And btw- he wasn't lecturing anyone.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2020, 9:17 AM

My apologies to Salty because I thought it was posted on the football board.

But, your reading comprehension skills are your problem.

Mar 29, 2020, 10:37 AM

Seriously, some of you people give the internet a bad reputation...lol.

Imbeciles, conspiracy theorists, reactionaries, the psychologically unbalanced, etc... That is what comes out of the woodwork on TNET everytime life throws a curveball.

This is directed specifically at the panty-wasted "thumbs-down" down crowd. Enjoy your silly little circle-jerk. You are really are life's losers and a bunch of thin-skinned passive aggressive little weenies.

Enjoy yourselves, you 'tards deserve each other.

Mar 29, 2020, 11:55 AM

sounds like you’re having a pleasant day, chill dude

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2020, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy ]

classy post, thumbs down

Mar 29, 2020, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Re: The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy ]

Imbeciles, conspiracy theorists, reactionaries, the psychologically unbalanced, etc

That pretty well describes people who don't hold my view. I know it's a free country but they should be banned from speaking.

Mar 28, 2020, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy ]

This virus sure has peeled back just how fragile our medical system is for a large scale situation. We are used to localized events like a tornado, or even something regional like a hurricane or a severe earthquake. FEMA, the Red Cross, and people from all over can bring resources in, or donate money and get back to their work. This is different. It’s broken down a support system we thought had been hardened after 9/11. States and cities are competing for resources and realizing the federal government, ironically, is either too big bureaucratically or not big enough to support every community.

Sadly, if an evil nation really has the ability to deploy an EMP type bomb against us (I have no idea if that is reality or fantasy), they now have some confirmation they can bring the US to its knees. After this $6 Trillion is spent pulling this out this crisis, this nation better save some of it to develop a support system that can sustain us for a future virus or whatever could challenge us.

Mar 28, 2020, 11:39 PM

smillsap1 said:

This virus sure has peeled back just how fragile our medical system is for a large scale situation. We are used to localized events like a tornado, or even something regional like a hurricane or a severe earthquake. FEMA, the Red Cross, and people from all over can bring resources in, or donate money and get back to their work. This is different. It’s broken down a support system we thought had been hardened after 9/11. States and cities are competing for resources and realizing the federal government, ironically, is either too big bureaucratically or not big enough to support every community.

Sadly, if an evil nation really has the ability to deploy an EMP type bomb against us (I have no idea if that is reality or fantasy), they now have some confirmation they can bring the US to its knees. After this $6 Trillion is spent pulling this out this crisis, this nation better save some of it to develop a support system that can sustain us for a future virus or whatever could challenge us.

Well... Every country has proven to be fragile in dealing with this Chinese virus right now. I don't know of a country out there saying they have an over abundance of PPE or respirators. Everyone is scrambling to make/procure these items and there is a glut world wide. Even so, the USA is still better situated to deal with this than most.

In previous generations - the USA has always been able to produce our way out of whatever problem we faced...be that a World War or a disease. By God's grace we could always produce enough food, medicine, and equipment to ultimately persevere as a nation.

Unfortunately, we are finding that 30 years of globalist policies from the political/foreign policy establishment is coming back to bite us in the a$$. We are quickly learning that cheap labor, reliance on foreign supply chains, and "just in time" logistics on critical items such as medical supplies and medicine ain't such a good idea. If we learn nothing else from this disaster, its that the USA must be self sufficient in certain critical industries even if it drives up costs for that self sufficiency.

As in the past, I have no doubt that America's industries will answer the challenge to producing enough supplies to ultimately turn back this awful disease. But ramping up the production lines and capabilities will take time and that is the one thing we ain't got a lot of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2020, 12:19 AM

Unfortunately, Donald J. Trump (alias TheRump) wasted 2 months by ignoring the reports of his NSC -- while he was telling us it was a HOAX put forth by the Democrats, that he had the coronavirus under control, it would stop in warmer weather, and it would be an insignificant problem.

The US could have been preparing PPE, respirators, and ventilators in that wasted time. The Army could have been ready to more-quickly build field hospitals. State governments would have been more prepared for shelter-in-place policies.
TheRump shld be blamed for 50,000 un-needed deaths. (Over 2000 deaths in US today; expect another 6000 this coming week; more than 20,000 by Easter. No church services on this Easter. The University of Washington, on the front line of the US outbreak, just released a report stating that the US should expect 81,000 deaths from CLOVID-19 by July. You shld plan to protect yourself, family and friends.)

Mar 29, 2020, 12:29 AM

We could also claim that if the MSM didn't suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome, they'd have a lot more credibility.

And we all would have taken them more seriously.

Who you gonna blame for that?

Probably Trump, right?

The longer this shutdown lasts, the more irrelevant Joe Biden is. There is ZERO chance that Americans will consider him a serious presidential candidate 7 months from now if he continues to sit at home making stupid, inept and critical videos.

Trump is trying to help Americans, not save his presidency.

Mar 29, 2020, 3:01 PM

Here ya go. Words from his mouth.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1242193904553865216

nice edit***

Mar 29, 2020, 3:04 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2020, 12:39 AM [ in reply to Re: The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy ]

This (hateful, agenda driven finger pointing) is what needs to stop.
Trump is abrasive, egotistical, and likes to hear himself talk, but he is doing a very good job during this crisis.
He closed the borders within 24 hours of WHO’s announcement in January (Remember:? That’s when he was labeled a racist again).

Mar 29, 2020, 2:40 PM

Are you denying that TheRump down-played this virus for 2 months (mostly to keep the stock market high).
He was ignoring the reports from HIS OWN National Security Council at the time. (His gut said this virus would not be significant, so he was stupid-enough to say.)
You're watching way too much FoxFakeNews.

Mar 29, 2020, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy ]

Unfortunately, Donald J. Trump (alias TheRump) wasted 2 months by ignoring the reports of his NSC -- while he was telling us it was a HOAX put forth by the Democrats, that he had the coronavirus under control, it would stop in warmer weather, and it would be an insignificant problem.

The US could have been preparing PPE, respirators, and ventilators in that wasted time. The Army could have been ready to more-quickly build field hospitals. State governments would have been more prepared for shelter-in-place policies.
TheRump shld be blamed for 50,000 un-needed deaths. (Over 2000 deaths in US today; expect another 6000 this coming week; more than 20,000 by Easter. No church services on this Easter. The University of Washington, on the front line of the US outbreak, just released a report stating that the US should expect 81,000 deaths from CLOVID-19 by July. You shld plan to protect yourself, family and friends.)

Here we go again... You are entitled to your opinion but not your own facts.

For the millionth time, President Trump never called the COVID-19 virus a hoax. If you had any intellectual honesty you would stop trying to peddle this outright fabrication. President Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the China Virus to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax."

As for the President "wasting 2 months by ignoring reports of his NSC" - another line peddled by the TDS crowd. Two points...

Point 1: On 14 January 2020, the Chinese told the world through the WHO that they had found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the virus (this was a Chinese lie backed and released by the WHO on their twitter account). On 20 January, the Chinese finally acknowledged the virus was spread via human-to-human transmission. Within 10 days of that admission, President Trump had put a Chinese travel ban in place and established the Coronavirus Task Force. From that start till now, President Trump has taken more than 74 actions to fight this virus - you can read about some of them here: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/list-74-actions-taken-by-trump-to-fight-virus-bolster-economy

Point 2: Just as pertinent of a question is what were Congressional Democrats doing 2 months ago? Were they warning us, conducting House hearings or taking up legislation regarding the COVID-19 outbreak? NO - they were doing nothing but playing a partisan impeachment game that occupied the whole of the news media and the Senate from 16 January to 5 February. No one in Congress was standing up saying a darn thing about emergency funding bills or actions to start fighting this virus. Quite the opposite, the only person doing a darn thing about it was President Trump as he did more than anyone in DC during those "2 months" to try and fight this COVID-19 scourge.

So stop throwing out rocks of blame because your fabrications are total BS. Here's the uncomfortable truth: The moment China lied about this disease and refused to allow the other nations to come and be a part of the solution in early January, the Pandemic spread of this thing was inevitable. If you want to blame someone for all the death and destruction of wealth - blame the Chinese - they are responsible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2020, 3:03 PM

Words from Trump's mouth.
How will you deny that?

thats bullcrap***

Mar 29, 2020, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy ]

Re: thats bullcrap***

Mar 29, 2020, 3:06 PM

The words from Trump.

Re: thats bullcrap***

Mar 29, 2020, 9:29 PM

Funny how you TDS folks take a clip out of context. That clip is an out of context cut from the Presidents press conference on 26 February. What he was expressing was that he thought the original 15 infected people would go to zero from them all recovering. Now later in that same press conference the following exchange happened:

Q In just the course of the last couple of minutes, you have disputed some of what the officials that are working in your administration behind you have said about the risk of coronavirus and its spread. Do you trust your health officials to give you good information?

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, sure.

Q Or do you trust your own instincts more?

THE PRESIDENT: I don’t think I have. They’ve said it could be worse, and I’ve said it could be worse too.

Q You said you don’t believe it’s inevitable. That contradicts what the CDC —

THE PRESIDENT: I also think —

SECRETARY AZAR: They said it will be worse.

THE PRESIDENT: No, I don’t think it’s inevitable. I don’t think it’s inevitable. I think that we’re doing a really good job in terms of maintaining borders and turning — in terms of letting people in, in terms of checking people.

And also, that’s one of the reasons I’m here today: getting the word out so people can — they’ll know. They’re going to know.

No, I don’t think it’s — I don’t think it’s inevitable. I think that there’s a chance that it could get worse. There’s a chance it could get fairly substantially worse. But nothing is inevitable.

If you bothered to listen or even read the transcripts of the press conference, the President clearly stated that things could get worse. Not just once but many times throughout that press conference. Was the President also trying to put on optimistic face in that things might not end up as bad as the predictions? Absolutely. But at no time did he tell or has he told the American public that we were in no danger of this virus infecting more people than the original 15 people.

You TDS guys really take the cake when it comes to intellectual honesty. You peddle these out of context snippets in order to try and paint a picture that the President was ignoring the COVID-19 problem when the truth is President Trump and his task force were the only people doing anything about it starting in January.

WEAK very WEAK***

Mar 30, 2020, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy ]

Mar 28, 2020, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: The trivializing has to stop...if one has any empathy ]

Boom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You seem to be restricting empathy to health only.

Mar 28, 2020, 10:25 AM

What about people’s jobs, life savings, social connectedness, and happiness?

I’m not denying that we must prioritize the health of our society, but we can’t keep our country closed forever. There are significant non-health related costs to quarantining forever. At some point, we will have to decide that going back to life as usual is more important than the health risks. I’m not saying that’s now, but it will be here soon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

^ this

Mar 28, 2020, 10:30 AM

The reality is we won’t have a vaccine for probably at least a year. People are losing their jobs and now Prisma health is laying off. We have to find a way for 90% of our people and daily lives to return to normal. I for one am happy to shelter in place indefinitely if my daughter can get her job back.

Re: ^ this and ^^ this

Mar 29, 2020, 12:19 AM

Multiple nurse friends in this area are working without pay because the hospital has eliminated all elective procedures. Turns out that the hospital's payroll is overloaded with admin types who don't bring in any revenue but drain the coffers while doing very little to care for patients; meanwhile the lucrative elective surgeries wing is silent while those nurses volunteer to care for positive patients.

One nurse friend has had a tough time after testing positive; early on she had a patient cough in her face while she was unprotected; she tested but came up negative, so she went back to work before becoming very ill late last week.

This is certainly a time where we need compassion and cooperation, but we also need clear thinking.

Mar 29, 2020, 1:09 PM

Sounds like the health system copies government

Mar 29, 2020, 2:15 PM

Except your president's refusal to accept a salary beyond $1.
His reimbursement to the government for the rest of his $400k+ would fund the stimulus checks of almost 400 Americans.

Re: You seem to be restricting empathy to health only.

Mar 28, 2020, 10:39 AM [ in reply to You seem to be restricting empathy to health only. ]

What about people’s jobs, life savings, social connectedness, and happiness?

I’m not denying that we must prioritize the health of our society, but we can’t keep our country closed forever. There are significant non-health related costs to quarantining forever. At some point, we will have to decide that going back to life as usual is more important than the health risks. I’m not saying that’s now, but it will be here soon.

Totally agree, yet the quarantine can’t be relaxed until we have evidence the hospital’s have adequate resources to handle the patient load. We are most definitely not there yet. SoyWalker brings sobering truth that is the current reality all over this country. My conscience could not allow for me to go back to work and semi-normal activity if that contributes to fellow citizens lining the halls of my local hospitals and dying because there wasn’t enough staff and supplies to provide for their care. The federal government just mortgaged the prosperity of future generations so that we can attempt to stay home and weather this storm. That bothers me terribly as well, but it’s the decision that has been made so now we need to try to make it work.

Lecturing was never the intent...

Mar 28, 2020, 12:55 PM

So I apologize to any who perceived that. Frustration over the desensitization of death and suffering...yeah, I'm guilty as charged.

Hopefully, many will be shielded from eating 'Covid-infected crow', yet should such misfortune be met, may sufficient capacity within the medical community exist to nurse all back to health.

That is why Trump is going to be villified by the left,

Mar 28, 2020, 7:06 PM [ in reply to You seem to be restricting empathy to health only. ]

EITHER way. If he locks us down, and we go broke, HE KILLED THE ECONOMY. If he opens it up Easter weekend and many more die, HE PERSONALLY KILLED EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM. He is in no man's land. I pray that the malaria drug works!! Or they find one very soon that does work. Or, the summer gets hot as blue hell and that stops it in its tracks long enough for them to find a cure.

And again, I'll trade a loss to the coots for that in a skinny minute.

Re: You seem to be restricting empathy to health only.

Mar 29, 2020, 11:02 AM [ in reply to You seem to be restricting empathy to health only. ]

I believe Salty's intent was to address one area of the health issue. I believe most of us automatically include all of the problems and concerns resulting from this virus. I feel confident we will conquer this problem and come out stronger as a nation. We need to stop playing the blame game and become part of the solution.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no one said it would beclosed forever

Mar 30, 2020, 4:32 PM [ in reply to You seem to be restricting empathy to health only. ]

its a temporary measure that will go back to normal once we get a handle on this virus. but right now, we don't have enough ventilators, masks, and other various PPE. and if everyone goes out and lives their daily lives, then it just makes the situation much worse. that's why you keep hearing the phrase, "flatten the curve." its all just to buy time for our healthcare system to get what they need. will it make this last a little bit longer? sure, but we are about a year from a vaccine anyway. at best its 8 months.

Most of you guys are listening to the media when it comes to this virus. Im listening to my friends who are doctors and nurses. And the one thing they keep telling me, is that it is a giant clusterf****. and that is WITH social distancing guidelines in place. now just imagine if everyone was going about they normal lives. And my friends don't even work in areas that have been hit hard, just imagine what healthcare professionals in New York are going through right now.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2020, 2:19 PM

6 people in my area, hope the 3 hospitals aren’t overwhelmed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's today? What about in

Mar 28, 2020, 2:28 PM

2 to 3 weeks? But in your area, social distancing probably is easier than in a lot of places.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^Save your breath...

Mar 28, 2020, 6:29 PM

He's desensitized...

Re: That's today? What about in

Mar 28, 2020, 6:42 PM [ in reply to That's today? What about in ]

I live in Horry, which is a pretty busy area with people from all over the world in and out. We only have 26 cases out of over 320,000 residents.

There's absolutely no reason all these businesses around here should be closed.

Mar 29, 2020, 2:02 PM

On Meet the press this morning with George Stephanopoulos, there was DR/Nurse that said that Patients were dying bc of the COVID 19 Virus without any family members by their side when they take the last breath. Now that there is as sad as can be! It's hard to do I know bc it isn't happening to one of us yet that I know of or heard about but, try and put yourself in a situation where your child or life partner, husband/wife, are dying without you being allowed to be beside them holding their hand. That has to be one of the hardest things in our life to have happen!!!

If you have to go out, protect yourself as well as possible with gloves, mask, sanitizing products. And shame on the people you see not protecting themselves with anything. They don't care about themselves, and they sure as H&11 don't give a rats A$$ about us or anyone else.

I'm diabetic, and the drug store text me Friday saying my insulin was ready for for pickup at the drive through, and before I went to pick it up, I saw that I was just about out of test strips and splenda for my morning and evening coffee. So, since I had to go out, I suited up and packed up all sanitizing gels, wipes, and alcohol spray and head to the drug store, and a quick stop at the Food Lion, and I was shocked to see that people are still not trying to protect themselves. There were about 30-35 customers in the store, and myself, and 1 other guy were wearing protective gear!!! They either think COVID 19 is a Joke, or they are just that stupid.

I wish nobody any illness or harm, but I do hope that if people are going to refuse to believe how deadly this Virus is, and they still refuse to protect themselves and help protect the others they are around out in public, I hope they are the ones dying alone over us that's trying to protect ourselves and the others we're around when we have to go out!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2020, 4:46 PM

What a idiotic statement. Just because some looks at something from a different point of view or doesn't believe what you believe then that person has no empathy.

How arrogant can one person be?

Mar 30, 2020, 5:32 PM

Russ212® said:

What a idiotic statement. Just because some looks at something from a different point of view or doesn't believe what you believe then that person has no empathy.

How arrogant can one person be?