Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC cutting players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 140
| visibility 1

SEC cutting players

Feb 6, 2014, 10:18 AM

This thread below on gamecootcentral gives yall a good idea what a COLLEGE fanbase turns into when you have a classless coach who will cut players..Sad that the players have to set out a year but Butch Jones, Sabin and Spurrier will cut them and yank their scholarship in a heartbeat

http://southcarolina.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1825&tid=198042501&mid=198042501&sid=1017&style=2

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I asked for gameCok opinions on this

Feb 6, 2014, 10:51 AM

But got none. My guess is the people who don't mind it are young and don't have kids. Therefore they have no real concern on how these tactics can devastate someones future.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Maybe the NCAA should allow kids who get

Feb 6, 2014, 11:02 AM

Cut to stay on scholarship but not count against the 85 limit?

I think the better question is not your age, but which political party do you vote for?

I could see democrats being more in line with protesting the kids. It seems like republicans would be more supportive of the cutting dead weight practice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

just curious how you feel about

Feb 6, 2014, 11:04 AM

the kid that had his offer pulled a few days before the deadline last year. Not only did Spurrier pull the offer, he screwed the kid's chance of going anywhere else by not telling him until the last minute.

I hate it for the kid

Feb 6, 2014, 11:09 AM

But we aren't paying these coaches big bucks to be nice guys.

We are paying them to win football games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why can't they win football games while being nice guys?***

Feb 6, 2014, 11:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Being nice is free

Feb 6, 2014, 11:11 AM [ in reply to I hate it for the kid ]

common decency says you act like a man and tell the kid
you're not taking him. This isnt about winning or coaching. This is about being a human. YOu dont have to take the kid....you do have to act like a man and tell him that. Seems he went out of his way to screw the boy over.
If you defend that....you need to really examine yourself

Classof09....I know you read that

Feb 6, 2014, 11:36 AM

and I guess your silence means that you know he was wrong. I'm glad you arent defending it. I'd love to see you be man enough to side with right rather than stand in silence beside that shell of a man you hold so high.

"I'd love to see you be man enough..."

Feb 6, 2014, 5:43 PM

Toogie meet Buzz, Buzz meet Toogie. Oh and by the way, Toogie is incapable of being a man.

Be a man on this internet message board, dangit!***

Feb 6, 2014, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Classof09....I know you read that ]

Re: Be a man on this internet message board, dangit!***

Feb 7, 2014, 10:28 AM

and another pathetic Chicken fan chimes in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

BuzzPaw - 2 POD . . . very well stated. and AMEN ! ! !***

Feb 6, 2014, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Being nice is free ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Being nice is free

Feb 6, 2014, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Being nice is free ]

Willing to bet the coach doesn't even tell the kid. It is probably some secretary forced into that situation.

true, unfortunate that money

Feb 6, 2014, 11:18 AM [ in reply to I hate it for the kid ]

Always justifies bad behavior.. and how fans just jump on board.
I have gone on record several times preferring to lose the right way than win the wrong way.
But I have kids so I struggle every day teaching right from wrong IN SPITE of $.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

It's not a nice guy issue

Feb 6, 2014, 11:39 AM [ in reply to I hate it for the kid ]

It's an integrity issue. Spurrier made a commitment to them and they in turn committed to USC. He should honor his commitment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

This statement alone tells you EVERYTHING you need to

Feb 6, 2014, 11:41 AM [ in reply to I hate it for the kid ]

know about Classof09.

Textbook example of why this world is spiraling downward.

Sick.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: I hate it for the kid

Feb 6, 2014, 12:10 PM [ in reply to I hate it for the kid ]

So promising a student athlete a four year education to play football at your school is too nice? This isn't the pros. You guys will pay for this.

Ethics be ######*

Feb 6, 2014, 12:10 PM [ in reply to I hate it for the kid ]

nm

As we have seen time and time again....

Feb 6, 2014, 12:33 PM [ in reply to I hate it for the kid ]

your Capons are so desperate for football success that you will knowingly, willingly and gladly compromise what little is left of the character and integrity of the university, the coaches and the players if you think it might translate into more wins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Big Bucks just to beat Clemson. We fired ours***

Feb 6, 2014, 1:21 PM [ in reply to I hate it for the kid ]

Re: I hate it for the kid

Feb 6, 2014, 1:50 PM [ in reply to I hate it for the kid ]

Only in your screwed up mind are those exclusive traits. Pathetic.

null

Who said they are mutually exclusive?***

Feb 6, 2014, 1:51 PM

Re: Who said they are mutually exclusive?***

Feb 6, 2014, 1:57 PM

can you not fing read?

Holy hell you are a complete #######.

null

Typical Toogie.

Feb 6, 2014, 5:39 PM

Always has been an asinine loser and doesn't care one bit.

YOUR freakin' post CLEARLY is worded that they are mutually

Feb 6, 2014, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Who said they are mutually exclusive?*** ]

exclusive.

Wow !!!

^^^^THIS

Feb 7, 2014, 7:13 AM [ in reply to I hate it for the kid ]

is all you need to know about the chicken fan base.

Re: just curious how you feel about

Feb 6, 2014, 2:02 PM [ in reply to just curious how you feel about ]

Kids name?

Every school does this...

Feb 7, 2014, 10:30 AM [ in reply to just curious how you feel about ]

kids just suddenly aren't there...See Ray Ray, Korn, some transfer, some drop out...but it's usually a suggested push out the door.

Re: Maybe the NCAA should allow kids who get

Feb 6, 2014, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Maybe the NCAA should allow kids who get ]

Nah, you see, Republicans are not big on lieing, you know, with it being a sin and all. Most Republicans are people of faith, and they would have a hard time telling a kid who was promised a scholarship that they can no longer give him one.

Democrats on the other hand, have absolutely no problem lieing to someone about any and everything. Shoot, look no further than the current president.

null

lol. ..I find some of the biggest

Feb 6, 2014, 11:22 AM

Liars I know are both conservative and religious. Jesus on paper, not in practice.

That's BS.

Feb 6, 2014, 11:26 AM

What kind of circle do you hang out in?

If want to attack religions, there's a board for that.

FWIW, I think religions suck. I'm just a plain, old Christian.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't realize that you're part of a religion?

Feb 7, 2014, 9:38 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity

I hope that helped you.

Re: lol. ..I find some of the biggest

Feb 6, 2014, 11:29 AM [ in reply to lol. ..I find some of the biggest ]

I agree with both posts for the same reason. :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Cut to stay but, not count? How dumb is that?

Feb 6, 2014, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Maybe the NCAA should allow kids who get ]

So, if you miss on a kid, just cut him and add another one?

You get dumber with every passing year. How can that be?

Isn't that what you're complaining about?

Feb 6, 2014, 11:46 AM

The kid not being able to stay?

Or is it as I suspected? You don't really care about the kid. You just want us to be stuck with a wasted scholarship.

The kid stays. It still counts as one of 85.

Feb 6, 2014, 11:51 AM

Jeesh, dude. How can you just be so nonchalant about yanking a kids scholarship?

And, no. You don't get to just put him somewhere else and get a do over for a different player.

That "just win, baby" attitude is running rampant.

No you should honor your commitment.***

Feb 6, 2014, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Isn't that what you're complaining about? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Isn't that what you're complaining about?

Feb 6, 2014, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Isn't that what you're complaining about? ]

No your ###### classless coaching staff should evaluate better.

null

Ultimately, this is what you want

Feb 6, 2014, 1:52 PM

You don't care about the kid who gets cut. You just want us to lose a scholarship.

Re: Ultimately, this is what you want

Feb 6, 2014, 2:00 PM

Nope that is bull ####. I care about seeing a kid getting thrown out by the same guys who promised him and his parents during recruiting that he would have a spot.

null

There is no loss of a scholarship

Feb 7, 2014, 7:32 AM [ in reply to Ultimately, this is what you want ]

Scu recruited the kids you got. They are on the team. That the coaches failed to recruit the right guy or develop the player is the coaches problem. If a team is having to cut players it's is because the coach is unable to count. The only people who lose a scholarship are the kids. The team has their 85 players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone does it to some degree

Feb 6, 2014, 5:33 PM [ in reply to I asked for gameCok opinions on this ]

Especially with non contributing 5th year guys. UVA does it a lot. There is always attrition over PT, etc. Sometimes a kid simply does not deserve to have his scholarship renewed due to lack of effort, attitude, etc.

A 5th year player SHOULD already have a degree.

Feb 6, 2014, 6:02 PM

That said, 09 is a focking joke. Sure,it'd be nice just to move the kid along , let boosters pay for a scholarship and have it not count because he's no longer playing. That's not the rules we have.

I DOUBT THAT ANY COACH HAS EVER SAT ON A COACH IN A RECRUITS HOME AND TOLD HIS MOM THAT IT'S ONLY A ONE YEAR GUARANTEE. He'd never get a commit that way.So when the coach pulls that ship, HE'S A LIAR.

Right now, you always have

A kid that will flunk out,
another will transfer because of playing time,
yet another will also be led by the coaches to transfer,
even another one will have medical issues and get moved to a medical hardship scholarship.
You'll also average at least one leaving for the draft early.

You have this type of turnover every single year. What is being discussed here is blatant pulling of scholarships of 4-5 guys every single year because they haven't cracked the 2 deep roster after a couple of years.IT'S WRONG.

Dumb Coot, morals left you long ago.

I find it hilarious

Feb 6, 2014, 8:22 PM

That you guys claim you are upset because it isn't fair to the players who get cut.

I then present you with a way that would not harm the players. Then you tell me that's classless as well.

Why can't you just admit this only bothers you because you think it gives us an advantage. If you think it gives us an advantage, do it yourselves.

Don't hide your hatred behind "caring about the kids."

Are you still on probation?***

Feb 6, 2014, 8:26 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Another Coot Idiot, U can provide all the ways

Feb 7, 2014, 9:18 AM [ in reply to I find it hilarious ]

U can IMAGINE to make it right(NOW READ REAL SLOW COOTS), UNTIL it's changed and you POS coach is yanking scholarships and telling WIS(YT it they asked him during spring ball)"some boys need to realize they're not D1 material" Didn't he recruit them, didn't he sit in their living rooms and beg(even dance) their Mom's to send their son's to USuC. I'm sure no coach EVER has told one Mom that it is ONLY for a year.

And ...... NO , It doesn't bother us, Clemson just takes the high road and realizes it takes a little longer sticking to your word, but it will also last longer. While more and more HS coaches aren't allowing USuC coaches on their campus, the phones at Clemson are ringing off the hook.

speaking of caring for the kids.....

Feb 7, 2014, 11:33 AM [ in reply to I find it hilarious ]

does Jake Nicolopulos ring a bell.

Jake is a great example of what happens when the ncaa

Feb 7, 2014, 11:42 AM

Allows for the athletic department to pay for a kids education without him counting against the football scholarship limit.

I wish the ncaa would apply it in other cases. It certainly isn't the kid's fault he wasn't good enough, the same way it isn't a kid's fault he got injured.

The current ncaa rules allow are that scholarships are only good for one academic year. I wish they would financially protect the kids who don't have theirs renewed.

i don't see how the h.s. coaches of the players that get cut

Feb 6, 2014, 10:56 AM

,even let the recruiters from the guilty school get back on that hs's property.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can't stop the phone calls to mamma

Feb 6, 2014, 10:59 AM

And these kids are too young and foolish to think this would ever happen to them. I'm sure bama promises all the recruits they will see the field. .

true,but the coach has plenty of input with some of the kids

Feb 6, 2014, 11:02 AM

, esp. those without a real good support system at home.

Re: SEC cutting players

Feb 6, 2014, 11:09 AM

It's disgusting that the NCAA isn't doing something about this. The scholarship sanctions are supposed to limit the number of new scholarships that they can offer to high school athletes. Instead, South Carolina is taking the approach of just signing the same amount of kids, and then cutting a few extra guys that were already on scholarship.

This is an absolutely despicable practice, and the NCAA needs to be looking into it.

null

it isn't just usuc.. it is a lot of

Feb 6, 2014, 11:20 AM

Schools. . Clemson even did it with ray ray. It was wrong. Fortunately for him he already had his degree.

That's not exactly what Clemson did with Ray Ray....

Feb 6, 2014, 11:36 AM

Coach Bowden offered him an opportunity to remain at Clemson ON SCHOLARSHIP as a grad assistant, an offer Ray Ray declined.

Clemson did more to help that young man and his brother, Fahmarr, than they ever did to hurt him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's not exactly what Clemson did with Ray Ray....

Feb 6, 2014, 1:46 PM

RayRay was also offered a chance to get a MASTERS while on salary! just who have the dirty cheating c$$ts made an offer like that??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So it would be different if we put

Feb 6, 2014, 1:50 PM

Them on another scholarship?

That's what I suggested in another post and people argued against that.

Re: So it would be different if we put

Feb 7, 2014, 11:06 AM

The problem with your theory is you are giving coaches the right to cut players which in effect is wrong. If a player is putting forth the effort, but just isn't very good it is not his fault that the coach missed in evaluation.

Also scholarship limits were created for a reason. As much as you love your game chickens you would hate the result of your solution. Bama would simply recruit 40-50 players every season and move the others to this other scholarship. You guys get a recruiting advantage in the SEC but only because not all players can go to Bama, LSU, Florida or now A&M. If those schools could recruit extra players and simply move them after a practice season the game of football would go back to the days of no scholarship limits. Where you simply recruited too many players just to keep them away from your rivals.

null

It just doesn't make sense to keep a kid on a football team

Feb 7, 2014, 11:22 AM

Who isn't good enough to be on the team.

Re: It just doesn't make sense to keep a kid on a football team

Feb 7, 2014, 11:30 AM

And there you have it in a nutshell. The football team and winning is all important and all that is important.

To hell with the kids when they can't contribute to that.

Yup... 09... you just bought the farm.

You named one example of one player at Clemson

Feb 6, 2014, 11:38 AM [ in reply to it isn't just usuc.. it is a lot of ]

Meanwhile, USC does it multiple times every year. Clemson is known for honoring scholarships no matter what. Think of people like Destephano, Nicholopolous, the big DL who found out he had a hole in his heart. These are guys that medically lost the ability to play football at Clemson after they had received or been offered a scholarship. All three of them remained on scholarship on the football team in some capacity.

And there's more.

null

It wasn't even an accurate example. That isn't what we did

Feb 6, 2014, 11:45 AM

to Ray Ray.

Those are completely different situations

Feb 6, 2014, 11:49 AM [ in reply to You named one example of one player at Clemson ]

Those don't count against the 85 limit. We've done that several times as well.

It's easy to keep a kid on scholarship when it doesn't take away from your 85.

You're right. Those are completely different situations.

Feb 6, 2014, 12:01 PM

What you're wanting and getting is, players that for whatever reason, aren't contributing up to snuff so, you yank their scholarships to make room. It's the stuff that huge POS's are made of. Spurrier is one of the biggest.

I'm not wanting anything

Feb 6, 2014, 12:42 PM

I just this might be a solution for your "problem" with what happens.

LoL. I don't have a problem with it. I just think it's

Feb 6, 2014, 12:59 PM

despicable and, you approve and defend it.

JUST WIN, BABY!!!!

So hungry after years of starvation.

LOL...keep spinning it doctor....

Feb 6, 2014, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Those are completely different situations ]

Spurrier has yanked more scholarships than most dentists have teeth.

Re: You named one example of one player at Clemson

Feb 6, 2014, 11:56 AM [ in reply to You named one example of one player at Clemson ]

All players that are placed on medical hardship retain their scholarships. They don't count against the 85 limit. Nothing special there that every school doesn't do. I don't know the specifics and don't pretend to about the scholarship numbers. There were a number of walk ons that received scholarships last year because USC was under the limit. I assume they are appreciative of having a year of school paid for and fully understood it might not last. Every school has attrition from season to season. In the SEC it presumed the players are run off. In the ACC the player decides to change schools on their own. Neither is totally true somewhere in between most likely. When my daughter was at Clemson she was friends with a number of players some transferred some stayed. Were they asked to leave or did they have a vision. I don't know but the numbers worked out.

Re: You named one example of one player at Clemson

Feb 6, 2014, 12:52 PM

No one is disputing that, that happens. What upsets me is that some teams (SEC,cough cough) are oversigning by up to 10 to 15 players each recruiting cycle..That is shady to say the least. Do you have kids fellow coots?? would you be ok if that happened to your son or daughter?

If you believe it gives us an advantage

Feb 6, 2014, 1:38 PM

Why don't you encourage your coaches to do it?

BECAUSE IT'S DESPICABLE!

Feb 6, 2014, 1:44 PM

good lowered.

Why is is despicable?***

Feb 6, 2014, 1:48 PM

Re: Why is is despicable?***

Feb 6, 2014, 1:54 PM

You go into a kids home and tell him how he will be there for 4 years and how he will get a degree and all this then pull the rug out from under him.

You want him to commit to you but yet you dont commit to them.

It is classless and pathetic.

Only thing more pathetic is your defense of it.

null

You're just being obtuse.

Feb 6, 2014, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Why is is despicable?*** ]

I don't really think that, as a person, you're as big of a jackasss as your coaching staff.

That being said, I can kinda understand how scholarships are at a premium down there, what with y'all being on probation and losing a few, due to a lack of institutional control.

JUST WIN, BABY!!!!!!

Hungry

Re: If you believe it gives us an advantage

Feb 6, 2014, 1:53 PM [ in reply to If you believe it gives us an advantage ]

classless09 win at all costs.

Pathetic. You get pissed if an 18 year old backs out of a commitment to play at your University but defend your University for NOT committing to these kids.

null

Win at all costs? Hardly

Feb 6, 2014, 1:55 PM

I just don't see the point of keeping a kid on scholarship if he isn't contributing.

In academics you don't keep a kid on scholarship if he's not making the grades.

Why should athletics be different?

Re: Win at all costs? Hardly

Feb 6, 2014, 1:56 PM

Ah so you see no value in the commitment you made to a kid while recruiting him. The commitment you made to his parents to educate him for 4 years while he played football.

You see no value in that. That says a ton about you.

null

Re: Win at all costs? Hardly

Feb 6, 2014, 2:08 PM

As far as academics students know up front what grades they need to keep. Does Spurrier or other assistants go into homes and let the players know that they may not have a scholarship if they don't play well or if a better option arrives upfront? Thats the difference..

That's not exactly accurate

Feb 6, 2014, 1:20 PM [ in reply to it isn't just usuc.. it is a lot of ]

I believe they offered for him to stay on as a GA but he declined. He wanted to play

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

not exactly the same, But academic

Feb 6, 2014, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC cutting players ]

Schollies have to be earned every semester. . Our you lose them. It is easy to quantitatively gauge your gpa c I don't know how you would judge meeting the requirements of an athletic scollie.

Except it's legal. The NCAA should be looking internally

Feb 6, 2014, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC cutting players ]

if they want to stop the practice. What they are doing may not be right, but it's allowed.

Like you said, it is not right. So why do it?!?!?

Feb 6, 2014, 9:29 PM

There are lots of LEGAL things that are not right. People with character know to do what is right. It's a shame recruits don't see that or appreciate that.

He is complaining about the NCAA not investigating it.

Feb 6, 2014, 9:36 PM

I'm not justifying, I'm just trying to help him understand why the NCAA isn't looking into it, which is what his original question was. Reading comprehension is your friend, use it.

Feb 6, 2014, 12:33 PM

When the Citadel beat South Carolina a few years ago, a kid returned a punt for a touchdown for the Bulldogs who had been cut loose by the Gamecocks the week of NSD for a higher recruit, too late to get on with another Division I. He got a flag for celebrating in the endzone at the Cockroach, but I don't his teammates or his coaches cared.

well they already pay players like the pros..

Feb 6, 2014, 1:49 PM

so why not cut them like the pros as well

Re: well they already pay players like the pros..

Feb 6, 2014, 5:10 PM

I went to undergrad and grad school on scholarships. If I had failed to make the grades, they would have been revoked. Would that have been classless as well?

Completely different apparently

Feb 6, 2014, 5:19 PM

There is no subjectivity involved in grading apparently.

Re: Completely different apparently

Feb 6, 2014, 6:03 PM

Apples to oranges as someone posted this below.

What would be more comparable is if they gave you a scholarship and then next year recruited someone with a higher GPA or SAT score and said...sorry, we found someone better, so we're going to give it to this other guy. When we recruited you for the scholarship we didn't realize someone better would be coming along next year.

null

That isn't comparable

Feb 6, 2014, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: well they already pay players like the pros.. ]

What would be more comparable is if they gave you a scholarship and then next year recruited someone with a higher GPA or SAT score and said...sorry, we found someone better, so we're going to give it to this other guy. When we recruited you for the scholarship we didn't realize someone better would be coming along next year.

Any response Coots?***

Feb 6, 2014, 5:34 PM

Re: That isn't comparable

Feb 6, 2014, 7:48 PM [ in reply to That isn't comparable ]

Why not? Do you think someone performing at a high level is going to lose a scholarship. Performing in the classroom is no different than performing on the field.

You really are stupid

Feb 6, 2014, 9:45 PM

It doesn't surprise me, but it is a little sad.

You expect kids to make a 4 year commitment, and if they decide to transfer, they get punished by having to sit out a year. However, a coach can recruit a kid and promise him a 4 year scholarship, and then change his mind with no consequence...other than, well the kid having to transfer and sit out a year to play somewhere else. Yes, that sounds ethically sound.

I would change the transfer rules

Feb 6, 2014, 9:53 PM

If I was in charge.

It certainly isn't fair to a kid he has to sit out a year to transfer.

Sorry them's the rules

Feb 6, 2014, 10:02 PM

Now go back to your list of players and figure out who hasn't recovered from a knee injury fast enough for your liking. Or maybe a guy that hasn't gained 30 pounds of muscle in 2 years. You've got 90, you and I both know that at least 2 of your signing day kids won't step foot on campus next year, so you're down to 88. That leaves a few more kids to cut. Good luck.

Are you intentionally trying not to make sense?

Feb 6, 2014, 10:14 PM

If the rules are all that matters, why are you jimmies so rustled?

Re: You really are stupid

Feb 7, 2014, 8:26 AM [ in reply to You really are stupid ]

There we go, call your opponent stupid. Pee Wee Herman would be proud of your skill at disputation. I said nothing about transfer rules. My question was this. An Academic Scholarship is based on performance. Nobody seems to feel sorry for the kid that has to leave school because his grades drop. So what is the difference?

Re: Difference

Feb 7, 2014, 9:35 AM

Its a coach's job to evaluate talent and decide who gets a scholly and who doesn't. There is no "If you don't pan out" clause. Academic schollies say going in... you have to maintain a B. Period.

In truth, USCjr is admitting that they blew the evaluations on 5-10% of their signees every year. Although the kid may be performing fine in class... he gets his "ship" pulled because the coach did a bad job... and for purely mercenary reasons.

Sorry... you have no leg to stand on.

Re: Difference -- correction

Feb 7, 2014, 9:36 AM

5-10% of their total team every year. 20-25% of each class.

Re: Re: Difference

Feb 7, 2014, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Difference ]

And what is wrong with this?

Employees get fired every day. Should an employer keep an employee just because they made a poor hiring decision?

Re: Re: Difference

Feb 7, 2014, 9:42 AM

This is college... its about the education. Its about preparing a youngster to succeed in life.

Its not about a job in the real world and performance on the job.

Re: Re: Re: Difference

Feb 7, 2014, 9:47 AM

Ah, I see we should have no expectation out of college students.

Feb 7, 2014, 9:52 AM

We should expect the coach to do his job, evaluate well, and not "use" a kid until someone better comes along.

I guess you missed the part where I stipulated that the kid is doing well in the class room. That is, after all, is the purpose and should be the real expectation.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Difference

Feb 7, 2014, 10:16 AM

You're just not being honest with yourself at this point.

How many times did 80,000 clemson fans show up to watch CJ Spiller in one of his sociology classes?

How many times did 80000 show up to watch him play football?

Why are you opposed to allowing a kid who gets cut from the team to stay on an academic scholarship that doesn't count against the football scholarship limit?

Feb 7, 2014, 10:26 AM

Except that is not what the kid wants to do. He came to USC to play Football.

Good lord you have some ###### up thoughts about ethics.

null

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Difference

Feb 7, 2014, 10:34 AM

So now not only do you want to keep him on scholarship. We should be forced to play him as well?

lol this has to be an elaborate troll. I hope?

i am guessing you graduated from usuc in '09, right ?

Feb 7, 2014, 10:42 AM

how would you have liked it, at the end of '08, they came up to you and said you were no longer welcome to attend the school ? you may have paid your own way, but not in blood,sweat and tears .

Re: i am guessing you graduated from usuc in '09, right ?

Feb 7, 2014, 10:45 AM

None of these kids were kicked out of school. That's a bit of an extreme comparison isn't it?

not at all. it's spot on if you ask me. they were doing

Feb 7, 2014, 10:49 AM

everything the coaches asked, except getting p.t.

It's not spot on at all

Feb 7, 2014, 10:56 AM

A spot on analogy would be if I was on the debate team and in 08 I got replaced by better debaters.

Yeah it would suck, but I would still be able to finish school.

Re: It's not spot on at all

Feb 7, 2014, 11:00 AM

but you would not be able to finish at your beloved cooterville. your baseball team is even worse than the football team. getting rid of an occasional player for any of several reasons is no problem, but to recruit kids and pretty much have a mass tryout and cut dozens of kids every year is not very ethical and is certainly very classless.

what do you expect from this guy...

Feb 7, 2014, 11:10 AM

several years ago he promised to never come back to TigerNet. He is a liar

keep telling yourself that. maybe you will be able to sleep

Feb 7, 2014, 11:10 AM [ in reply to It's not spot on at all ]

better at night. and thank god usuc's dean didn't yank your path toward your future. unlike your ballcoach does to the young men that don't crack the 2 deep after a couple years. where would you be now ? yep, i guess you love those '#####.

Feb 7, 2014, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Difference ]

not even close to ### I said.

null

Feb 7, 2014, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Re: Re: Re: Difference ]

Actually, I am being totally honest with myself. In fact, you are attempting to change the subject. The topic was never about allowing a good scholastic achiever to stay on under another scholly.
The topic is pulling the scholly totally. The coaching staff saying bluntly that there is no place for you here. Having a little problem following along or just running out of transparent and faulty responses?
And your outburst about CJ had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at all and is dismissed as such outright.

Feb 7, 2014, 11:13 AM

I'm not changing the subject. I'm giving you a solution to our perceived problem.

That solution you find unacceptable. Which confirms my suspicion that you don't want a solution to this problem.

Once again, they're not being ALLOWED to continue their

Feb 7, 2014, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Re: Re: Re: Difference ]

education. You keep saying they should be allowed to, but the rules don't allow for that. Maybe the NCAA Should change the rules to allow you to move a couple each year to a non counting scholarship where the young man the coach promised an education has a chance. Right now, OBC and others around the country are just cutting players, yanking the scholarships of players still passing, not in any trouble, their only crime is not making the 2 deep after a couple of years.

Yes. I'm trying to find a solution

Feb 7, 2014, 11:18 AM

It is unfair to the kids to lose their financial aid. I agree with you there.

The ncaa should make provisions to protect the kids financially.

However, posters are opposed to that as well.

Re: Yes. I'm trying to find a solution

Feb 7, 2014, 11:28 AM

Yes... you were changing the topic. However, by going to a solution you, by default, admit that there is a problem with the way USCjr is handling this. So that topic is over. Done.

Your solution... if you care to go on... has inherent problems.

The money for such a change in scholarship status would have to come from the athletic department. This is a similar problem to paying players. Big schools with large budgets could afford it. Smaller budget schools could not. I doubt the NCAA would go for and inequity like that.

So the assertion that anyone would not be for such a change is without merit on its face.

Alright I knew you weren't willing to be reasonable

Feb 7, 2014, 11:40 AM

I apologize for thinking you would come around.

How on Earth does the NCAA allow it?

Feb 7, 2014, 11:44 AM

Kid goes to a school under the pretense that he'll be on scholarship... And then schools can yank it away. Unreal. The NCAA is a joke.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the NCAA allow it?***

Feb 7, 2014, 11:46 AM

Re: How on Earth does the NCAA allow it?

Feb 7, 2014, 11:47 AM [ in reply to How on Earth does the NCAA allow it? ]

Because it hurt the sport if you were forced to keep a kid who didn't contribute for four to five years.

Schools have to be able to improve their team.

Re: How on Earth does the NCAA allow it?

Feb 7, 2014, 11:54 AM

Once again. The team and winning uber ales.

'09, THIS IS NOT THE NFL. if you want to draft,cut, and pay

Feb 7, 2014, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: How on Earth does the NCAA allow it? ]

players, you are watching the wrong level of football. this is college football, i.e.student-athletes, not pro's.

Re: Alright I knew you weren't willing to be reasonable

Feb 7, 2014, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Alright I knew you weren't willing to be reasonable ]

Reasonable? I'm fine with reasonable.

I apologize for believing you might be able to think things through.

Whether the solution is good or bad isn't germane because it is simply not possible.

Why isn't it possible?

Feb 7, 2014, 11:49 AM

They allow it for kids who get injured.

Re: Why isn't it possible?

Feb 7, 2014, 11:57 AM

1) An injured kid isn't a choice of the coaches. If a kid isn't up to what the coach wants or thinks of the next guy... is.
2) The inequity between big budget and small budget... I guess you missed that too.

Alright, if you prefer the kid just gets cut

Feb 7, 2014, 1:36 PM

And doesn't maintain his financial aid. You're welcome to have that opinion.

I just disagree and think the kid should keep his financial aid. It doesn't make sense to me why you would rather him lose it.

Re: Alright I knew you weren't willing to be reasonable - A

Feb 7, 2014, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Alright I knew you weren't willing to be reasonable ]

I find it interesting that on the one hand you wish that the NCAA would make a provision to protect the student athlete who doesn't work out. This means to me that you too see that ethically something along these lines should be done.

On the other hand, you defend the practice that USCjr employs which would make such a change in policy a consideration at all.

Definitely a conflicted man.

Spurrier is doing what the ncaa rules call for

Feb 7, 2014, 11:54 AM

The issue here is the ncaa rules and not cutting players.

There is nothing unethical about not renewing a scholarship.

Feb 7, 2014, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Re: Re: Difference ]

and you have no expectation of coaches to act ethically.

Once again this thread is really saying a ton about your and your winnie the pooh buddy.

You both are sick pathetic individuals.

null

At Clemson we say

Feb 6, 2014, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Re: well they already pay players like the pros.. ]

We promised you an athletic scholarship. We sat in your house and told you we wanted you to be a part of our program for the next 4 years. Now, that might have been a mistake, but we will stick with our word even if you never see the field.

Re: well they already pay players like the pros..

Feb 6, 2014, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: well they already pay players like the pros.. ]

lol another classless loser defending these actions.

Pathetic says a ton about you.

null

Tell your coaches to evaluate talent better

Feb 6, 2014, 5:22 PM

Instead of dragging the SEC net and seeing who sticks. If a kid makes a committment to you, your coaches make a committment to him.

I wish we would cut the low/no effort guys

Feb 6, 2014, 5:36 PM

As I don't see that as a fair upholding of the 2-way agreement. But you won't convince me several SCAR and other SEC players aren't busting their tail and still get cut every year to make room for fresh meat.

Re: I wish we would cut the low/no effort guys

Feb 6, 2014, 5:45 PM

you want to name those guys?

Is it true that USuC will have 90 schoalrship players but a

Feb 6, 2014, 5:42 PM

limit of 82 due to probation? Time for #### cuttin' I guess. What a joke that program is.

Sorry should have clarified

Feb 6, 2014, 5:47 PM

I don't think any of those type exist on our roster at the moment. But I would be ok if a coach said they released a player for that reason.

Re: Sorry should have clarified

Feb 6, 2014, 6:59 PM

Can someone please provide a list of all the players USC has cut over the past 5 years or even the past 3 years??

Not players that were academically ineligible, medically unable to play but players who were :cut: by USC.

I would be interesting in seeing the supposed list of cut players.

Feb 7, 2014, 1:35 AM

South Carolina and Steve Spurrier

In 2011, South Carolina, coached by Steve Spurrier, oversigned by several players. Both Oversigning.com[33] and Rivals.com[34] estimated South Carolina oversigned by 6 players when it signed 32 players in its 2011 class.[35] Additionally, on the day before National Signing Day, South Carolina rescinded offers to two other recruits that had verbally committed to signing with the school. One of the recruits, Lorenzo Mauldin, had been committed to the school for months[36] but learned he would not receive a scholarship offer when South Carolina faxed a notice of the rescinded offer to his high school on the day before Signing Day.[37] Walter Banks, the coach of Jordan Montgomery, the other recruit whose scholarship offer was pulled the day before National Signing Day, told The Wall Street Journal, "I told [South Carolina coaches] this was foul. I didn't have a clue until 18 hours before signing day, and if they say anything else, they're lying."[38] Banks also told The State that South Carolina coaches are "no longer welcome" at his high school (South Lake High School in Groveland, Florida) saying, "I cannot look a kid and their parent in the face and say you can trust what a University of South Carolina coach says."[39] Spurrier admitted to The Wall Street Journal that "what we probably could've done earlier in the recruiting is tell them that this could happen."[38] He later added, "I think on [February 1] we alerted both of them, talked to them and said ‘Hey, I’m sorry. This is where we are. We got all these other commitments.’ We didn’t like doing this.”[39] In late March 2011, Mauldin signed with Louisville saying that he came to believe that South Carolina coaches really didn't want him to qualify anyway.[40]

-----------------------------------------------------
Sherman, a 5-foot-4 backup wide receiver who served as the team’s primary kickoff returner last season, said he first learned his position with the team might be in jeopardy a little more than a week ago. His fears were confirmed Tuesday in a meeting with Spurrier.

“They just said they got better players over the last year,” Sherman said. “Everybody they recruited committed and that never happens. And then everybody qualified (academically) and that never happens.”

Based on this string of twitter messages, South Carolina appears to be putting the screws to Bryce Sherman. There is a 99.9999% chance that the "behind the scenes" stuff is oversigning and the numbers crunch. In reading South Carolina sites, there really isn't another reasonable explanation.

This is yet again another example of coaches not being honest and upfront with kids, but who can blame them with the pressure to win and the money involved being so great that they don't have a choice, right? All it takes is one school in a conference to abuse oversigning and next thing you know nearly everyone else is having to do it in order to compete. It's a slippery slope that often leads to stories like Bryce Sherman.

------------------
(2012)
OVERSIGNING

Spurrier took full advantage of the controversial oversigning process. South Carolina signed 132 players over the last five years. A team can only have 85 players on scholarship. By oversigning, Spurrier could choose not to renew a returning player’s scholarship who wasn’t contributing on the field, and take more chances on prospects with academic qualifying issues.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/2012-10-19/story/steve-spurrier-riding-high-south-carolina#ixzz2sc611OsN

----------------------------------------

Spurrier fields controversy over letting players go

(Hoover, Alabama) July 27, 2005 - USC Coach Steve Spurrier dealt with a little controversy at the SEC Media Days , not because of what he's said, but something that he did weeks ago.

The South Carolina High School Coaches Association is going to war with Steve Spurrier. Earlier this summer, Spurrier sent letters to six players telling them they would lose their scholarships.

Irmo Head Coach Bob Hanna expresses his reaction after Spurrier cut one of the players from his team, "My first thought was, 'What'd you do?' I mean, he had to do something. 'Cause this just doesn't happen."
(www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?s=3650307&clienttype=printable)
---------------------------------

"Encouraged to look elsewhere."

"Nudged out the door."

These are the awkward phrases in which we must traffic as connoisseurs of college football, perhaps the only sport in America that requires its coaches to employ such egregiously euphemistic phrases in lieu of "cut" or "dismissed" or "designated for assignment" or "non-tendered."

Whatever you want to call it, this is exactly the situation in which rising redshirt junior QB Andrew Clifford finds himself, as Steve Spurrier told The Big Spur on Monday that he has "encouraged him to maybe transfer somewhere where he has a chance to play." The cold reality is that if Andrew Clifford ever saw the field in non-garbage time, then it would likely mean that Connor Shaw, Dylan Thompson, Tanner McEvoy, and Seth Strickland each died in a horrific car accident in some sort of quarterback buddy road trip gone horribly awry (see: Deathproof).

In the past, players who have completed their fourth year in the program (i.e., players who have completed their redshirt junior season) have been, on occasion, unceremoniously relieved of their footballing duties. This is a relatively palatable practice since the players have at least been given a scholarship long enough to obtain a four year degree. But it would be politically difficult for Spurrier to out-and-out dismiss Clifford from the team since he is entering just his third year in the program, so volunteering this information to the media is likely the Ol' Ball Coach's way of making it extremely uncomfortable for Clifford to do anything but transfer.

The only other way Spurrier would have the kind of cover to dismiss him altogether is if he lucked out by having Clifford get picked up on a drunk and disorderly charge or fail a class or get caught having another hotel "party" with Stephen Garcia, which is likely why you see Spurrier grasping at straws by reminding us that "[Clifford] hung around with Garcia and was involved in some of his stuff."

I say all of this not to cast aspersions on the way Steve Spurrier is handling the situation. Scholarships are a limited resource in college football, and devoting one to Andrew Clifford is a waste of that resource. So it's in Spurrier's best interest as the manager of that resource to better allocate it to a player who will is more likely to add value to the product on the field.

I just wish the rules, spoken and unspoken, allowed for this to be dealt with in a more above board manner.

Continue reading after the jump.

If Clifford does elect to transfer (which isn't certain), South Carolina would still need to shed six more scholarships before fall practice. Two are expected to be freed up when non-qualifying signees Jhaustin Thomas and Joe Harris are placed in prep school. Where the other four would come from is less clear, but if I told you that a guy named Chaun Gresham is currently on scholarship, you'd probably say, "Who?" And giving a scholarship to rising sophomore punter Patrick Fish has to have Steve Spurrier feeling a bit like Gob Bluth.

So for good or ill, Andrew Clifford likely isn't the Gamecock football player that we will see "encouraged to look elsewhere."

http://www.garnetandblackattack.com/2012/5/7/3005830/andrew-clifford-steve-spurrier-and-the-awkward-business-of-cutting
--------------------------------

Slive proposed getting rid of the renewable one-year scholarships currently in place and replacing them with binding multi-year scholarships. Of course, such a move would make roster massaging/manipulation much more difficult.

And, of course, South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier is not on board with the commissioner on this point.

“No, that’s a terrible idea commissioner,” Spurrier said as those in attendance roared with laughter, before flipping the ###### on the scribes. “Do you sports writers have a two-year contract, how many of y’all have two-year contracts, three-year, four-year? So if you go bad and don’t show up to work, your butt would be out on the street, right? So, everybody has to earn their way in life, ya earn your way from life. You go from there. That’s the way I believe.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/20/spurrier-on-multi-year-scholarships-thats-a-terrible-idea-commissioner/

Feb 7, 2014, 10:02 AM

anymore questions Gamecocks.

Keep defending these actions. You are making yourselves look great.

null

Feb 7, 2014, 11:59 AM

Another thread were Toogie AKA Classless09 shows his true colors....

Pathetic.

There is a reason why those in power are trying to cut down on oversigning. It is a disgusting unethical act.

null

Replies: 140
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic