Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The logic behind initial ranking
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

The logic behind initial ranking

Nov 6, 2019, 4:23 PM

We Clemson fans are mad, I get it. But tbh this year's initial ranking isn't all that different from previous years. This ranking serves one purpose: To Keep Your Hope Alive

Here is a bit of history: (initial ranking 1-6)
2014: Miss St, FSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Oregon, Bama
2015: Clemson, LSU, Ohio St, Bama, ND, Baylor
2016: Bama, Clemson, Michigan, Texas A&M, Washington, Ohio
2017: Georgia, Bama, ND, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio
2018: Bama, Clemson, LSU, ND, Michigan, Georgia

Here are some observations from the history:
1. The initial ranking has little to do with the final ranking.
2. The SEC bias is real.
3. To secure a spot for your conference, you better have a team in top 4.

Now back to what I mean by "To Keep Your Hope Alive":
B1G: They were left out for the past two years, so they tried hard to make sure they have one seat this time. This process started much earlier than most people realize: Remember how many Big10 teams were in the preseason Top 25? SEVEN. They had 5 at the end of last season, same as SEC. They finally figured out how to punch their ticket into the playoff: pump up the stats like SEC!

SEC: They know how to send a team to the playoff. Their agenda is to send as many as possible. They do it every year anyway, and they have succeed once in 2017 when they send Georgia and Bama. The committee is at least smart enough not to put LSU and Bama at 1 and 2 this time.

ACC: The ACC is bad, every one knows that so the only hope is Clemson. "Win out, you are in" is what they try to promise us. But is ACC really that bad? To the point only 2 teams are ranked in top 25? At least ACC has Clemson so as a whole we still have some bargain right. The good news is that ACC as a conference is trending up (except FSU until they hire a HC).

Pac12: Oregon at 7 and Utah at 8 is what makes it interesting. Pac12 try to sneak back into the playoff picture but they started too late. They are waiting for some chaos at the top to happen then they might have a chance, which leads us to...

Big12: Oklahoma is desperately hoping to see some serious chaos. But remember Ohio last year, a conference champion couldn't save them from the blowout at Purdue.

G5: "We acknowledge your presence/existence" is basically what the committee says.

I hate to say it but politics and money play a certain role in the current ranking system. Should we be upset about it? Yes and no. I'm sure Dabo would be pretty happy to see it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know..all the pundits talk about how bad the ACC is

Nov 6, 2019, 4:36 PM

every year. But magically during bowl season the ACC normally has a pretty good win percentage against SEC, BIG 10, and Big 12 teams. Funny how that works. It's because the other conferences are propped up by two or three teams and the ACC lately is only propped up by Clemson. The mid to bottom tier teams in each conference are about the same, ie. UNC beating SC, etc.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You know..all the pundits talk about how bad the ACC is

Nov 6, 2019, 5:01 PM

They call it coastal chaos, but how about coastal competitiveness? ACC has some dumpster fire programs just like every other conference. UNC and Louisville should be interesting for the next couple of years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic