Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You guys will probably blast me for this but IMHO I believe it
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

You guys will probably blast me for this but IMHO I believe it

Sep 15, 2015, 9:52 PM

is true about the current HC situation on Texas.

Charlie Strong is getting "The Ken Hatfield" treatment. Texas fans are treating Strong just like many Clemson fans did when DF left. People did not like him before he even got settled into his office.

Hatfield deserved more support from many Clemson fans and now I believe Texas fans should give Coach Strong all of their support too. It takes time to right to build a program the right way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it does take time and I believe he can't make them a winner

Sep 15, 2015, 9:54 PM

But I am not sure if he will get the time to do it. Texas has the money to can anyone, anytime they want to.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh man...

Sep 15, 2015, 9:55 PM

Wow...

You're right, you will get blasted for this.

Sep 15, 2015, 9:59 PM

But I completely agree with you. Hatfield never got the support he deserved. Some Clemson fans were - and still are - so butthurt over Ford's resignation that they blamed Clemson's football struggles solely on Hatfield. As successful as he was, Danny wasn't as perfect as he is sometimes portrayed, and Hatfield isn't as awful as he is sometimes portrayed. He obviously wasn't the right fit for us, but he didn't deserve the crappy treatment he got from a portion of our fan base.

Strong deserves at least this year and next, simply because of the situation he entered into and the players he got rid of. I'm not sure Texas fans are willing to be that patient though. They tend to think that they deserve the best of everything.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We'll said from one of the most respected TNetters!

Sep 15, 2015, 10:02 PM

To Judge Keller

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know...you guys are right.

Sep 15, 2015, 10:03 PM

It only t

Re: You know...you guys are right.

Sep 15, 2015, 10:04 PM

It only took 20 years to recover from the Hatfield years. Let's cut the poor guy some slack.

re If Hatfield was mistreated by anyone it was Frank

Sep 15, 2015, 11:36 PM [ in reply to You're right, you will get blasted for this. ]

Broyles and U. of Arr. Ken had played on nat. championship team Ark . in the early 60s along with teammates Jerry Jones & Jimmy Johnson, After winning records s at Air Force, he was hired by the Hogs and took them to post game appearances every year. Broils was a son of a gun to get along with and Hatfield was on the road. He was a good coach at Clemson but could not recruit like Danny did. He did get some good player but very few OL although he signed a multitude. les Herrin and Stpcl were ,probably ,his two best coaches. A good guy who knew his X and Os but was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

Have to respectfully disagree somewhat!

Sep 15, 2015, 11:58 PM [ in reply to You're right, you will get blasted for this. ]

While I agree Hatfueld was a decent man he was not the type of football coach that was ever going to do anything spectacular at Clemson. He rode Danny's coat tails and players for a year or so .... The evidence that he was in over his head came with Clemson's first ever loss to Virginia. I could go on but there is no reason. That era is long gone. As for Texas and Strong... Can't say I really care... For me it's a great time to be a Tiger!

Not only do they think they deserve the best of everything,

Sep 16, 2015, 6:57 AM [ in reply to You're right, you will get blasted for this. ]

they think they deserve it yesterday. They take the George Steinbrenner approach, thinking if they throw enough oil money at a problem, it will magically be solved. Now, I can't say whether Charlie Strong would ultimately have succeeded there or not if given a fair chance, but I tend to agree that he will not be given that chance, writing already on the wall when he walked in.

Re: You're right, you will get blasted for this.

Sep 16, 2015, 7:10 AM [ in reply to You're right, you will get blasted for this. ]

Honestly, Hatfield and the Lennon administration had Clemson looking Bob Jones University...they both lost me. It transcended football...ideology sucked!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield sucked***

Sep 16, 2015, 8:37 AM [ in reply to You're right, you will get blasted for this. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You guys will probably blast me for this but IMHO I believe it

Sep 15, 2015, 10:04 PM

Hatfield was awful. He should have beat Ga Teck in 90 and denied them their championship , no reason we lost to them that year other than Hatfield coaching. . Sugar, sugar, sugar.

Agree completely. Never thought Charlie Strong

Sep 15, 2015, 10:07 PM

Was a good fit @ Texas. He's a great coach, would've been better served to stay at Louisville indefinitely, or wait for the right fit.

The highest paying job is not always the best fit. Holds true for normal Joe's like us, as well as high profile Joe's...

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Clemson admin was to blame for splitting fan base because of

Sep 15, 2015, 10:09 PM

Mysterious way Ford was let go. Hatfield was admin answer but many fans never understood why he was even here. Then for decades the admin held the football program at arm's length as others passed us by because they were scared of scandel. Glad those days are over.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Yep***

Sep 15, 2015, 10:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Clemson admin was to blame for splitting fan base because of

Sep 16, 2015, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Clemson admin was to blame for splitting fan base because of ]

I think Strong ends up back at South Carolina or there is at least a chance of that if the zzz Texas situation evolves the way ours did.
No doubt, at least on paper, Texas should contend for a NC every year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. Danny deserved to be disciplined but not fired.

Sep 16, 2015, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Clemson admin was to blame for splitting fan base because of ]

He was not going to get a football dorm.

I know where you are coming from, but I think there is one

Sep 15, 2015, 10:20 PM

big difference: Danny Ford "resigned" (cough) at the peak of his career and popularity, and whoever replaced him was coming into a pi$$ed off and perhaps disillusioned fan base. It was not a great situation from that standpoint. On the other hand, Mack Brown had practically run the Texas football program into the ground, at least compared to what it once was, and whoever replaced him had/has a chance to be a savior and resurrect the program.

Hatfield was not a terrible football coach, but he was a terrible recruiter and a terrible fit at Clemson. He had the charisma of a baseball bat. I believe Charlie Strong is a good football coach, probably better than Mack Brown, and has traditionally been a very good recruiter. Strong's problem is that while the Texas program wilted under Brown, Baylor, aTm, and TCU took full advantage, swept up all of the talent, and became powerhouses themselves. Now Strong has a pretty tall order, and I don't know if he will get a real chance to fill it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I know where you are coming from, but I think there is one

Sep 15, 2015, 10:23 PM

I thought Hatfield did a lot to himself. If I recall, he didn't live in Clemson and was not really a part of the community or school other than a football coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like I said, he was a bad fit at Clemson.

Sep 15, 2015, 10:44 PM

I don't know that coach Hatfield was a bad guy or anything like that, and I've heard a lot of talk like the things you mention but don't know how much is really true, and I really don't care. I am certain though that he came into a very tough situation because of the way Ford was sent packing. Ford was a real hero to Clemson fans; he was one of us. The entire Clemson fan base was shocked at his "resignation" and knew full well we were being fed a bunch of BS about what happened. Any new coach would have been hampered by that as well as the restraints under which they had to operate in the aftermath. Still, I think there were good coaches out there at that time that would have been a better fit at Clemson personality-wise.

- H. L. Mencken

Do you guys not remember Jim Philips asking one of DF's

Sep 15, 2015, 10:56 PM

assistant coach's " Rumor has it that you may have new boss after the bowl game. I think JP ask the question during pre-game interviews. I did not think much about at the time. But evidently some sort of power struggle appears to have going behind the scenes.

I just think KH deserved more support from many fans. He was very successful at Arkansas I believe have 3 or 4 consecutive 10 win seasons. He did not recruit well because I have heard from several people that his recruiting efforts were sabotaged by important Clemson connections w Clemson. I am not calling anybody out.

And when see Coach Strong I don't see black or white I see a man who happens to be an excellent coach.

Some Texas fans were ranting about the hire when it was announced. Same goes for Hatfield.

Although the situations about the programs were a little different once KH committed to CU we should have made a commitment to him as long as he was the HC at CU.

Good night fellow Tigers! Clemson 34. - Louisville 20.

Simplistic, bordering on the naive, but not altogether

Sep 15, 2015, 10:22 PM

incorrect.

Its like saying the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand started WW1....there was a lot more to it than just that

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't there a comment here like 2 seconds ago?

Sep 15, 2015, 10:31 PM

Man Crump is fast tonight.

Completely different situation.

Sep 15, 2015, 10:33 PM

Clemson was rolling and the President and BOT fired Coach Ford.

Mack Brown's teams were on a decline. He won the National Championship one time in 19 years and the conference championship only twice.

Mack Brown is being paid $500,000 per year by Texas to be a fund-raiser.

The AD has hamstrung the football and basketball teams. The AB would not let Strong hire quality control people or at %24k per year when other schools in the conference were paying 2 and 3 times that.

Coach Smart was promised a private jet to recruit like Barnes, but when he got there the AD made him fly commercial.

I suggest you do some research before you make comparisons.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Completely different situation.

Sep 15, 2015, 10:39 PM

Tejas hired him in RESPONSE to Summit....f'n dumb...I'll NOT respect tejas, unless they play the SECondary beotches in the eSECpn...then...all bets are off...I'd pull for MARYLAND to beat a team from that, well, TEAM!

Mack Brown may be the most over-rated coach in CFB history.***

Sep 15, 2015, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Completely different situation. ]

- H. L. Mencken

Agree., but he probably would make it as an AD...***

Sep 16, 2015, 10:00 AM

null

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Texas AD got canned today

Sep 15, 2015, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Completely different situation. ]

Apparently, someone does blame him.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Good Grief

Sep 15, 2015, 10:36 PM

Hatfield was supported until he went 5-6, was beaten 57-0 by FSU, 24-0 by UNC, lost first game ever to Virginia (we had a better team), and lost at home to a terrible Wake Forrest team.
Supporters saw our proud program going down the tubes. Yeah, we should have signed that guy to a 10 year deal.
Good man, but he recruited to play 1970s football.

Sep 15, 2015, 10:37 PM

nothing wrong with your post.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2015, 10:40 PM

Hatfield's wife was a he'll! of a barrel racer. About the most you can say for him.

Sep 15, 2015, 10:45 PM

Hatfield was terrible from day one until the day he was forced to leave...

Re: OLD 1ST AND 35 STRONG was on borrowed time from the

Sep 15, 2015, 10:58 PM

minute he hit Austin. I gave him two years max.

You nailed that! Strong should have backed out of the job when

Sep 15, 2015, 11:07 PM

a big time Texas booster when the radio blasting the hire. I never thought he would make it either. Not because he cannot coach but he just is not going to get the support he needs.

I thought Louisville was a much better fit for Strong. IMHO I think Dabo is well suited for Clemson and I don't see Dabo going to Bama when NS leaves. Not a good fit for either party.

Sep 15, 2015, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Re: OLD 1ST AND 35 STRONG was on borrowed time from the ]

Regarding Charlie Strong, watch the freshman class and next year or two of recruiting. Forget about this year. It's not what this is about. Sure he could get fired, especially since a new AD will want to put his finger prints on things.

The smart money is looking at the freshman and sophomore classes. He's cycling through the past.

Again, it might work out, but I think they give him two more recruiting cycles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2015, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Re: OLD 1ST AND 35 STRONG was on borrowed time from the ]

Regarding Charlie Strong, watch the freshman class and next year or two of recruiting. Forget about this year. It's not what this is about. Sure he could get fired, especially since a new AD will want to put his finger prints on things.

The smart money is looking at the freshman and sophomore classes. He's cycling through the past.

Again, it might not work out, but I think they give him two more recruiting cycles.

Re: With the success A&M is having , Texas will wait on

Sep 16, 2015, 12:00 AM

nothing.

Agree***

Sep 15, 2015, 11:13 PM

I thought Ken Hatfield coached at Arkansas***

Sep 15, 2015, 11:42 PM

Hatfield needed to go. He did ok with Danny's

Sep 16, 2015, 3:08 AM

Players but it was soon revealed he did not recruit. If you don't believe this look at game videos from the Ford era then watch game videos from Hatfield era. After Ford players started running out there was a huge talent drop off. I watched this unfold live and have gone back and watched the old games. There was a big drop off!!!

Now you could argue than Max and Co tied his hands on recruiting. That may be the case. Hatfield later said Max wanted to suspend the program for two years. Hatfield said there was extreme pressure to have squeaky clean recruiting and program. Maybe this culture handicapped Hatfield? Either way he did not get the job done.

A good man maybe but a stick in the mud big time. I once saw him pucker up and walk out of a non-profit fund raising banquet bc the emcee razzed him a little about how much Danny used to donate. The guy totally lacked all charisma. Danny would've laughed that off and bought something. Ken puckered up, turn red and stormed out. Way too serious dude for Clemson.

You are full of it

Sep 16, 2015, 7:19 AM

Hatfield took our program to lows we had not seen in a long time. He left yus with absolutely NOTHING. HE WAS THE WORST COACH I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFETIME AT CLEMSON,. PERIOD.

Re: You are full of it

Sep 16, 2015, 7:27 AM

the things you read on this board boggles the mind. goobers galore.

Hatfield sucked and couldn't recruit nor coach.**

Sep 16, 2015, 7:30 AM

nm

Re: Hatfield sucked at recruiting because

Sep 16, 2015, 9:33 AM

he would not make the required effort. I thought he was a good coach. I supported him until I realized he would not recruit. He did not have to recruit at Arkansas. He got all the in-state talent and then cherry pick the surrounding area. All of the old SWC were on probation.

Sep 16, 2015, 8:01 AM

For me - I have not been impressed with any single coach since Danny Ford left until Dabo rebuilt this crappy program into something to be reckoned with. Hatfield included. He sucked it just like Tommy and Tommy. Glad he's gone and really don't want to think about it all that much. We made huge mistakes until we finally guessed right. PERIOD.

Sep 16, 2015, 8:41 AM

So were you supportive of Dabo?

Sep 16, 2015, 9:19 AM

I was under the impression the average Texas Fan was happy to see Mack Brown go. They were largely mediocre his last couple seasons, and he obviously left the cupboard pretty bare.

Clemson fans were not happy to see Danny Ford go. I don't think it is close to the same situation at all. Any coach that fails to win ten games two season in a row in Austin is going to be on the hot seat.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic