Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You go Joe 21
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

You go Joe 21

Aug 29, 2017, 1:57 PM
BEA ROSE.jpg(51.5 K)
Dad_far_left.jpg(107.9 K)
top_left.jpg(189.9 K)

Love reading your stories, my Dad passed in Jan '15 and I can't hear his any longer. He went from plowing a mule on the family farm in 1941 to being a Flight Engineer on B-24's during the liberation of the Philippines 1943/44. Told me many stories of missions and others he refused to talk about. As a 24yr Navy Vet, I salute you Sir.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

^^ 3 Super neat pics "2K" of your DaD!

Aug 29, 2017, 2:14 PM

Salute to him & Joe21

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You go Joe 21

Aug 29, 2017, 2:40 PM

These guys are the real deal. The real heroes in our world.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2017, 2:51 PM

It's the heroes like these guys that really ticks me off when krapernick kneels during my National Anthem. Thanks for the pics 2K.

Aug 29, 2017, 2:52 PM

Great post! Thanks.

Aug 29, 2017, 2:57 PM

2K, I lost my Dad in '85. He also left the farm and ended up in a B-24 as a nose gunner flying all over the Pacific.

Both My Grandfather's Were WWII Navy Men

Aug 29, 2017, 4:32 PM

Mom's Father was a sonar operator on DE Chatelain and was part of the mini-carrier task force that captured the U-Boat on display in Chicago and one of the early ENIGMA devices.

Dad's Father operated a Higgins boat in the Pacific island hopping and hit most major amphibious operations in the Pacific. Tells horrific stories of Kamikazes. Till the day he died anyone who even looked Asiatic was a "dirty jap" It was sad in ways to hear that level of vitriol for any Asians but when you heard him tell nightmarish stories of losing so many friends to the Imperial Japanese Navy you kinda understand it.

I miss them both dearly and encourage my teens to really get to know their super uncool and technically challenged grandparents. Their wisdom once gone leaves an unfillable hole.

Joe's stories remind me the importance of oral history.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2017, 5:58 PM

ZK and all of you other guys. Thanks for the pics and info about your Dads. I know you are proud of their service and realize there are many things they never told you. The men and women who served during WW2 came from many backgrounds but they all worked together as a team. Their word was their bond and there was never any doubt about their loyalty.

My wife and I had dated before WW2 and then we both went off to college. She was the oldest of three girls. Having no brothers, she decided someone in her family needed to serve the country and volunteered for the Navy WAVES. She was a dental technician and served at several Naval installations here in the US.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2017, 7:11 PM

Great post. I lost my dad when I was 15 in 1961. During WW II he had the most hazardous job of the war as a Merchant Marine working on oil tankers. He later worked as a radio officer on tankers for Standard Oil of New Jersey!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2017, 7:25 PM
IMG_3978.JPG(85.7 K)

This is a bad photo, but is a picture of my sister-in-laws uncle flying General Smedley Butler (Commandant of the Marine Corps) in China in 1926. Her uncle became Commander of Marine Aviation in the Pacific in WW II and was Major Greg Boyington's (Pappy) mentor and commanding officer.

Aug 29, 2017, 8:03 PM

My Dad was a Captain and Company Commander during the Spanish American War but did mot have to leave the States. I have a photo of him and the other two officers in his company. I also have his sword which will be passed on to my oldest grandson. My Dad's brother was a 2nd. Lt. and served in the Philippines. I've tried to get more info from the War Dept. about both of them but have been unsuccessful. Records of Dads and Granddads of some of you may have been among the records that were lost in the fire in St. Louis many years ago. Some of mine and my wife's were lost and we had a hard time getting some of our medals.

This may be a bit difficult for some of you to believe but my Dad was born in 1871. That's 1871 and not a misprint. He was 14 years older than my Mother and was 50 when I was born.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2017, 10:46 PM

Wow Joe ..... your family sounds like mine ....marry late and have children when they are older. My grandfathers died in 1916 and 1920 ....... 26 and 30 years before I was born. .... now I am a good bit younger than you, but my great grandfather was one of the last three surviving Civil War veterans in Anderson County. My father attended the 75th Reunion of the Blue and Gray in Gettysburg in 1938. Of the 1800 veterans there, my great grandfather was one of only 65 there who had actually fought at Gettysburg. He was in Wade Hampton's 1st South Carolina Cavalry. He was from Pickens County and joined when he was 15 years old.

The Liberator was a beautiful plane.***

Aug 29, 2017, 10:48 PM

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic