Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How can someone who loves baseball call soccer boring?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

How can someone who loves baseball call soccer boring?

Jun 27, 2014, 10:43 AM

There is no way soccer is less entertaining than baseball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I enjoy watching baseball and loathe soccer....

Jun 27, 2014, 10:45 AM

to each his own but I find baseball way more entertaining than soccer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: I enjoy watching baseball and loathe soccer....

Jun 27, 2014, 11:49 AM

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!if the USA is playing I can watch amybe 10 mins..otherwise if I can find some paint to watch dry that is better!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How can someone who loves baseball call soccer boring?

Jun 27, 2014, 10:46 AM

soccer is much less entertaining than baseball. Not even close.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't have to remember a bunch of Spanish names

Jun 27, 2014, 10:46 AM

In baseball. ..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: You don't have to remember a bunch of Spanish names

Jun 27, 2014, 12:10 PM

> In baseball. ..

Are you serious Clark?!?

What day is it?***

Jun 27, 2014, 12:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

you're kidding right?

Jun 27, 2014, 12:38 PM [ in reply to You don't have to remember a bunch of Spanish names ]

For example Gregory Polanco just got his chance with the Pirates. Arguably the most mentioned player on the team. Many more out there?? GO BUCS!

I guess it depends on what you growed up with.

Jun 27, 2014, 10:47 AM

I growed up playin baseball and watchin the Braves.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

you growed?***

Jun 27, 2014, 10:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Re: you growed?***

Jun 27, 2014, 10:50 AM

photo Boo_zpse391ec64.gif

Jun 27, 2014, 10:51 AM

Jun 28, 2014, 1:23 PM

Only in the south will you find people who like baseball more than soccer. Baseball is a dying breed. The Premiere League in England gets higher tv ratings in the U.S. than Baseball. These World Cup ratings are blowing World Series ratings out of the water. Nationwide, soccer is becoming much bigger than baseball.

Uhhhh - yeah .... Where wuz you growed ????***

Jun 27, 2014, 1:31 PM [ in reply to you growed?*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

You axing for pigs?

Jun 27, 2014, 1:41 PM

I'll see what I can do.

How can anyone possible prefer mustard to ketchup?

Jun 27, 2014, 10:48 AM

There is no way mustard is better than ketchup.

Touche***

Jun 27, 2014, 11:12 AM

Baseball is a much easier sport to understand

Jun 27, 2014, 10:52 AM

It's harder to understand what is going on in soccer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Well, you did go to USuC.

Jun 27, 2014, 10:55 AM

Can't expect too much there.

#### off.

There's something in these hills.

I'm definitely no soccer fan, but try explaining the infield

Jun 27, 2014, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Baseball is a much easier sport to understand ]

fly rule, taking first on a dropped third strike, or balks to a newbie.

Re: I'm definitely no soccer fan, but try explaining the infield

Jun 27, 2014, 11:04 AM

photo 9781600787102_p0_v1_s260x420_zpsc4eb8082.jpg

144 pages.

240 pages.

photo 9781600789458_p0_v1_s260x420_zps2d426570.jpg

I bet

Jun 27, 2014, 11:56 AM

out of half of the rules in the MLB rule book, only a quarter of them are regular occurrences, and half are loosely enforced

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So are you saying 1/4 of 1/2 of the rules are regular

Jun 27, 2014, 12:01 PM

occurrences (or 1/8)?

And half of these are loosely enforced (or 1/16)?

Maybe I has the confuse.

Re: So are you saying 1/4 of 1/2 of the rules are regular

Jun 27, 2014, 12:09 PM

sorry, let me rephrase lol. half of the rules in the book are loosely enforced, and only a handful of those are actually enforced regularly.

idk, bob. is holding a regular occurence, only sometime

Jun 27, 2014, 2:16 PM [ in reply to So are you saying 1/4 of 1/2 of the rules are regular ]

enforced, but only if a wallet is stolen in the fruckus?

Soccer - Official Rules

Jun 27, 2014, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm definitely no soccer fan, but try explaining the infield ]

- Kick the ball around in the grass, preferably towards opponent's goal (the rectangular-looking frame with netting).
- Don't touch the ball with your hands, unless you are the guy assigned to stand in front of the goal to block the ball.
- If necessary, fall on the ground to make the referee think someone hurt you, whether they did or not.
- Collect your "Participation Trophy" on the way to the locker room

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

But you don't have to understand that to watch

Jun 27, 2014, 11:08 AM [ in reply to I'm definitely no soccer fan, but try explaining the infield ]

The game. The umpire make the calls.

Hit the ball good. Out bad.

That's all you to know what's going on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

wut? kick ball in net more times then other team kick ball

Jun 27, 2014, 11:09 AM

in net.

lmao.

And the referees make the calls in soccer. But it makes

Jun 27, 2014, 11:12 AM [ in reply to But you don't have to understand that to watch ]

for a more pleasurable experience if you understand what's going on.

OK guys, I just teed one up for ya.

Definitely a Coot.***

Jun 27, 2014, 2:00 PM [ in reply to But you don't have to understand that to watch ]

Re: But you don't have to understand that to watch

Jun 27, 2014, 2:12 PM [ in reply to But you don't have to understand that to watch ]

I am ashamed to say that I have watched some of this foolishness... U see more "fakes and flops"than U do in a Duke baskball game!!and I have NEVER SEEN a guy BITE a player from another team before this world cup mess!! LMAO

same thing with soccer, moron, the ref makes the calls...

Jun 28, 2014, 11:07 AM [ in reply to But you don't have to understand that to watch ]

what sport do you watch where there isn't any officiating?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly. in soccer, you run forward and try to put a ball in

Jun 27, 2014, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Baseball is a much easier sport to understand ]

a net. In baseball, it's much easier. A guy stands on a mound and throws a ball at a catcher. If the ball is over the plate, which is a vague area defined by a guy who isn't actually playing, it's a strike, unless it's a ball. But not the thrown ball. Just a "ball" ball. If you throw three balls near the plate, they may be strikes, and the hitter may be out, or you may have to throw a fourth ball near the plate, which may be a strike, but which may also be a ball, but again, not the "ball" ball, just a ball ball. Get four balls and jog to first in something called a "walk," even thought it isn't a walk. Swing and miss at the third called strike and you're out, unless the catcher drops the ball, in which case you may have the chance to run to first, but not like when you run to first during what's known as a walk. This time you REALLY have to run. So to recap. Four balls--the ball balls, not the "ball" balls--is a "jog" walk. 3 strikes is an out, except when it isn't. A homerun is when the ball leaves the park, or when it doesn't. The infield fly rule applies when the ball is flown into the infield, except when it doesn't apply. The bases are called bases, except the base at home, which is a plate. The left-fielder and right-fielder stand in what should, respectively, be left-field and right-field, and the game is so decidedly simple that the team batting has to have two coaches on the field to explain what is going on to any runners who may make it to first or third. Yes, truly baseball is a simple sport, compared to soccer.

^^^ such goodness wasted on the moran that is classof09.***

Baseball is much more complicated. We just

Jun 27, 2014, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Baseball is a much easier sport to understand ]

grew up with it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baseball is a much easier sport to understand

Jun 27, 2014, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Baseball is a much easier sport to understand ]

I can see how soccer would be hard for you...the whole counting the goals one at the time....wow......

if they even score

Jun 27, 2014, 11:59 AM

the only time I have enjoyed a soccer game was when my high school team got pummeled 27-0. The only soccer game I have ever been to, and I laughed my ### off the whole time. what is also funny, is that out of the 11 players on the opposing team, 7 were girls, and our team was all guys lol

I'm all for folks liking whatever they want

Jun 27, 2014, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Baseball is a much easier sport to understand ]

But I'm not sure I understand your suggestion that soccer is difficult to understand or explain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually soccer is easier to understand. Baseball has too..

Jun 28, 2014, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Baseball is a much easier sport to understand ]

many odd rules that make no sense.

Re: Actually soccer is easier to understand. Baseball has too..

Jun 28, 2014, 11:33 AM

agree that baseball has some stupid rules but the entire game of soccer is just awful..and it is very had to understand..

Jun 27, 2014, 11:02 AM

Walk-off wins, home runs, no-hitters, extra innings, strikeouts, double plays, stolen bases, runs saved in the outfield, runs saved in the infield, better fights.

This is from someone who thinks baseball is boring.

Especially not the riots and stadium stampedes....***

Jun 27, 2014, 11:08 AM

I kind of agree with this. Both sports are slow as Christmas. The other night I decided to watch some of the UVA/Vandy baseball game. After a while I turned to Americas Got Talent. Watched three acts. Turned back to the game and the same guy was still at bat. But, I got a good nap in during the soccer match though. Fell asleep during the first half.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It depends upon what you grew up playing/watching and

Jun 27, 2014, 12:02 PM

whether you are going to take the time to learn the soccer rules and strategy. Try explaining the lefty/righty pitcher/batter strategy (which is not a rule) or when to pinch hit or pinch run.

I don't really care for soccer, but then I don't know the rules or strategy. Can someone explain the offsides rule in soccer and why you would kick the ball toward your own goal?

Re: It depends upon what you grew up playing/watching and

Jun 27, 2014, 12:15 PM

You can be called for offsides in soccer if you attempt to pass to one of your players that is further ahead than all of the opposing players (except for the goalie).

http://www.wikihow.com/Understand-Offside-in-Soccer-(Football)

Sometimes you are not able to advance the ball towards the opposing side due to too many defenders so your only option would be to kick it to one of your teammates behind you (which is sometime the goalie) so that they can either give you time to regroup and pass it back to you or the goalie can simply kick it as far as he can towards the opposing goal.

Pretty simple really.

Re: It depends upon what you grew up playing/watching and

Jun 27, 2014, 1:46 PM

In the simplest terms...

An attacking player is offside if there are less than two defenders between him/her and the goal at the time the ball is passed.

A player cannot be called offside if they are not involved in the play and the final defender does not have to be the keeper.

Kicking it backwards is usually strategy to stretch the opposing team across the length of the field. It gives you more room to pass the ball when you move forward.

Similar to the spread in football when you put WRs on the edges and run the ball.

null

Thanks.

Jun 27, 2014, 1:58 PM

But I still don't get it. I'll stick with baseball.

Just like this: soccer is boring.***

Jun 27, 2014, 12:15 PM

Re: Just like this: soccer is boring.***

Jun 27, 2014, 12:16 PM

Ok but so is baseball.

Is it still serrius Thursday?

Jun 27, 2014, 12:22 PM

Baseball is difficult to enjoy if you've never been to a game. It's nothing like football. In football the TV cameras have to have a wide angle to stay on the ball. They can't in baseball. If they did you wouldn't see the ball so they focus on the ball.

That means you miss what the left fielder is doing when there's a runner on first and the ball is hit to third base. Every player has an assignment on every play according to if and where the base runners are.

That makes no sense to you because you don't know chit about baseball or you just know there's something wrong with watching baseball on TV.

I don't give a cht about baseball on TV unless it's Clemson playing because I can't really see the game. I don't care about soccer cause I'm an anglo saxon male who likes women!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Soccer is MONOTONOUS!

Jun 27, 2014, 12:35 PM

GO ON, ADMIT IT...

Re: Soccer is MONOTONOUS!

Jun 27, 2014, 1:32 PM

More monotonous than baseball? No.

So is baseball***

Jun 28, 2014, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Soccer is MONOTONOUS! ]

I'm in the minority but I agree with you...

Jun 27, 2014, 12:44 PM

Being a coach of soccer I'm a bit biased but I love the sport much more than baseball. You sit down, watch 45ish minutes with no commercials...get a small break and then one more 1/2 of 45ish minutes and it's over. By time it's over, you are maybe in 6th inning of a baseball game. There's constant yelling, jumping up and down (and with some fans, it's worth it....some not so much) and just a lot of energy. Granted, soccer is still minority in this country but it's still loved. Come out to the MESA complex in Greenville on a Saturday and see how many hundreds of kids they have out there playing.

Jun 27, 2014, 12:55 PM

I think a large part of it is generational. I'd be willing to bet a large % of the guys who come on here to profess how boring and terrible soccer lean on the older side. Soccer is a weird foreign game to them that doesn't make sense and they're not about to start learning something new at this point.

If you're younger, odds are you grew up with soccer in your life in some way, shape, or form. It's certainly not anywhere near football or basketball regarding popularity with the younger generations, but I think baseball may be a different story. I'm born & raised in the Northeast, where baseball is very popular, but even then I currently prefer soccer. Baseball is too long, too slow, and due to it's unwillingness to change, ultimately it's going to lose out.

By the time we hit 2020, I think soccer is going to be the #3 sport in the US behind football & basketball...however the gap there is very large and wouldn't expect it to take over those two sports for a long time.

So your saying baseball is sort of like republicans?

Jun 27, 2014, 1:35 PM

Old, boring, and unwilling to change?

Re: So your saying baseball is sort of like republicans?

Jun 27, 2014, 2:14 PM

and don't understand why they're "losing the country". Both have latched onto some antiquated idea of "how things used to be" but fail to realize that the USA/baseball they're thinking of never really existed, yet refuse to move off that position.

I actually hadn't even thought of that. Good call.

Baseball has always been considered a thinking man's game.

Jun 27, 2014, 1:26 PM

As a fan, you have to engage at that level. Should the batter take a 3-0 pitch? Should the pitcher try a sinker that falls out of the zone on a full count? Should the manager call for a straight steal or a hit and run?

Someone is always moving in soccer, not that it's always an exciting play. If you don't understand the thinking part of baseball, I understand how it would seem that soccer, with all its eye-candy, is more exciting.

Do you consider a diving catch in baseball to be more or less exciting than a bicycle kick in soccer?

Re: Baseball has always been considered a thinking man's game.

Jun 27, 2014, 1:39 PM

I agree that there is a lot of strategy to baseball, it's the sport I played most growing up and it's a lot of fun to play. However, unless you are at the game, it is absolutely mind-numbingly boring to watch. Sure you can run through all of that strategy in your head but you have no control over that weather it's baseball or soccer.

So the "eye candy" as you call it is what makes watching sports fun to watch, that's kind of the point.

> Do you consider a diving catch in baseball to be more or less exciting than a bicycle kick in soccer?

That's a good question, I think a diving catch in baseball is more practical than the bicycle kick in soccer, both take a pretty good amount of skill but I would have to go with bicycle kick since it's something I couldn't personally do very well, I can and have made a diving catch before.

Yes . I enjoy baseball; soccer is boring.***

Jun 27, 2014, 1:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Soccer is more boring than Nascar.***

Jun 27, 2014, 1:58 PM

Who in here likes Basketball?

Jun 27, 2014, 3:04 PM

Because soccer is literally a less developed version of it on a bigger field with more people. Dribble the ball down the field, charging past or passing around defenders, and shooting it into a goal to score. Hell, if you understand basketball offensive/defensive strategy then you can understand soccer strategy, its the same structure. Because it only allows feet as opposed to your hands, the field is larger and some aspects of the game differ, like length, point spread, penalties, etc.

TL;DR Its a primitive form of basketball using your feet.

way off base

Jun 28, 2014, 11:52 AM

11 men vs 5 men. Different surface, different dimensions, different skill set and athletes that play. One sport is good for tall people while one is actually pretty good for shorter people.

actually the sports are massively different

Re: Who in here likes Basketball?

Jun 28, 2014, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Who in here likes Basketball? ]

I very much like basketball AS IT SHOULD BE PLAYED!!what the NBA plays is now is horrible!!

I like to equate Soccer to Hockey

Jun 28, 2014, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Who in here likes Basketball? ]

Pretty much a lot of nothing going on and little scoring.

At least in baseball, someone wins*

Jun 27, 2014, 4:28 PM

nm

There was an All Star game not too long ago that was a tie***

Jun 28, 2014, 11:10 AM

Jun 27, 2014, 5:19 PM

I love watching soccer...for 3 minutes.....that's the total amount of time during each match that someone isn't flopping on the ground screaming bloody murder and holding his shin after someone just grazed him. I can watch women's soccer all day though. Weird how they don't fake injuries like the men do and if you look hard enough, you can find a purdy one.

Jun 27, 2014, 5:19 PM

Here is a novel idea.

You are allowed to like more than one thing. It's true you may like what makes you happy.

I cannot get why someone would try to bully or try to humiliate them because liking something you cannot see the beauty in.

Enjoying the world cup does not mean most of these folks will not watch every Clemson game multiple times.

You are allowed to like Chinese food AND steak. Just in case the more simple types were scared to get that one wrong for fear of humiliation of liking the wrong thing.

Same style of sport, really. Both slow monotonous sports...

Jun 28, 2014, 11:02 AM

where there are long periods where nothing happens. Neither sport makes rule changes to enhance offensive out put. Both sports spend more time mythologizing themselves and living in the past, instead of keeping the sport up with the times.

Those reasons are why baseball has lost popularity in the USA, and why soccer is limited in gaining popularity in the USA.

I love watching the grass grow - Both allow me time to do so***

Jun 28, 2014, 11:36 AM

Re: I love watching the grass grow - Both allow me time to do so***

Jun 28, 2014, 2:31 PM

If it is so boring, you prob don't want to watch this Brazil-Chile game going on right now. I mean extra time and PKS are SOOOOOOO Boring.

Actually watched every minute of it - Very good match***

Jun 28, 2014, 4:27 PM

Re: Actually watched every minute of it - Very good match***

Jun 28, 2014, 5:09 PM

Yeah, it was really exciting! I thought Brazil might be in trouble there until a few nice saves in PKS.

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic