Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As I see it we have 2 more years
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

As I see it we have 2 more years

Nov 25, 2012, 10:44 PM

In the next two years all of the current highly touted recruits will be gone. Chad will likely get a HC gig somewhere. The football program be wallowing in mediocrity. We need to pull the trigger and hire a winner who can turn this place around today. CU missed out in 2004 during the middle of the TB debacle when SS was available. At the time, we could have out bid USC for him. Look where he's taken a 6-5 team in the toughest conference. I hate those chickens...I hate that my step father, mom, and a couple cousins now can hold the W over me again for another year. Seriously, pull the trigger, hire someone who can move this program to the next level. Enough of the gimmicks, do it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As I see it we have 2 more years

Nov 25, 2012, 10:48 PM

your pull the trigger line would work even better if Ga was our next game and Crowell were still there

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 10:49 PM

Tommy Bowden was a good hire.. he won games with Miami, FSU and VT were in the top ten. he won games with GT was beating UGA. he won games win BC was spitting our pro lineman and pro quarterbacks. He won games DESPITE learning later having to recruit against Becky Bowen and her tactics to keep players from getting into school.. the very same players who got into UVA and UNC. He beat the chickens, never had a losing record and ran a clean program. Just imagine what he would be doing now with the confernce down.... thank you ever so much TDP for firing a man and having no back up plan....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't be serious

Nov 25, 2012, 10:58 PM

TB's record was terrible by comparison. Just look at the rankings, the bowl record and the W/L. Unless you think the ACC of the early 2000s was as good as the SEC, how do you explain seasons like 2002 (7-6) and getting absolutely hammered in the Tangerine Bowl by Texas Tech or 2006 (8-5)getting beat by Kentucky in the Music City?

And if he is so good, why isn't he working now???

Re: You can't be serious

Nov 25, 2012, 11:07 PM

he is not working because he does not have to work... AND his bowl record is better than dabo record. his wins against the chickens is better and his wins against top teams are better... the conference was MUCH MUCH better in the early 2000 and far better than the SEC.. Maryland was crushing Tennessee, Wake was puttin running backs in the pros. BC was pipeline for OL... tell me what dabo has done except win a conference title that i could hace won... He has lost four straight.. three of which we were favored. he had two tought games and he lost by double digits.

The facts aren't on your side

Nov 25, 2012, 11:13 PM

You like TB for some reason, but it ain't because his teams were better and the SEC was weak.

lol Bowden won 3 bowl games in 9 years

Nov 25, 2012, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: You can't be serious ]

Louisiana Tech
Tennessee (I'll give him credit for that one)
Colorado

the only thing good that Bowden did was beat SCAR. You have a point about the strength of the ACC but we were never even in the national picture when Bowden was here- only the Bowden bowl brought any interest to our program.

Clemson is too "PC" to hire a winner.........

Nov 25, 2012, 10:51 PM

not saying we could or even would, but given the chance we would not offer then or now:

spurrier
saban
petrino (would love to have him now)
kelly (my top 3 during our "national coaching search" in '08)

etc....

nice guys finish last.......and clemson hires nice guys ONLY

Re: Clemson is too "PC" to hire a winner.........

Nov 25, 2012, 10:53 PM

Leach is reported to be looking at NC state

he too was in my top 3 back in 08***

Nov 25, 2012, 10:54 PM

Re: he too was in my top 3 back in 08***

Nov 25, 2012, 10:57 PM

he is hard nose... and will produce a winner. you might not LIKE how he gets there, but he will win. He would have ridden to Columbia and beaten Spurrier's ### the first word that came out of his mouth about Clemson.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "nice guy", but if you

Nov 25, 2012, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Clemson is too "PC" to hire a winner......... ]

really think that only a doosher like some of those on your list can win then you are wrong. I would rather lose every game than have a piece of trash like Spurrier representing my school or team.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

my point exactly......our admin thinks the same way......

Nov 25, 2012, 11:05 PM

not saying that nice guys can't win, but clemson's not willing to "do what it takes" to win

that's why i HATED hearing "clemson guy" when we were supposedly looking nationally for a coach in 08

What exactly does "do what it takes to win" mean?***

Nov 25, 2012, 11:07 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Cheat and act like a #####.***

Nov 25, 2012, 11:12 PM

hire a WINNER regardless of reputation..............

Nov 25, 2012, 11:13 PM [ in reply to What exactly does "do what it takes to win" mean?*** ]

for example

here's what i would think the admin would say.....

saban?......to mean, people don't like him,wouldn't speak sunshine at IPTAY meetings...he's a jerk
meyer?......he's a jerk..he wins a lot, but he's a jerk
kelly?......we've heard he might have a sketchy past...we pass
Leach?......he's a weird mormon
petrino?......he does things w/ 20 year old woman on motorcycles
spurrier?......he's a d-bag, never

any chance at a hard nosed no nonsense possibly "outside the box" hire our admin/fanbase/etc... would find every excuse not related to football to not go after him

I'm thankful that we'd consider a coaches character when

Nov 25, 2012, 11:28 PM

hiring, and if your point is that we wouldn't hire one of the coaches on your list, you may or may not be right. But, if you think we wouldn't hire a proven winner, then I disagree, as all proven winners are not a$$holes, jerks, nutjobs, or dooshbags.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: I'm thankful that we'd consider a coaches character when

Nov 25, 2012, 11:33 PM

Oh? Which of the "proven winners" on your list is acceptable if (for the sake of argument, for whatever reason we have to hire a coach this offseason) we needed to hire a coach this year and you want a proven winner.

Gary Patterson and Chris Petersen would be at the top of my

Nov 25, 2012, 11:44 PM

list.

- H. L. Mencken

Nov 25, 2012, 10:57 PM

Come on. Spurrier is a turkey-necked tool who everybody dislikes except the team he coaches. He does win, but he turns all of the fans into the same type of tool.

Nov 25, 2012, 10:58 PM

the problem is that coot fans were tools before he got there

Nov 25, 2012, 11:10 PM [ in reply to Re: As I see it we have 2 more years ]

This is exactly my point. If this guy were our coach and providing us the program he turned USC into, we'd love him. But b/c he happens to coach the team we all hate, we can't see past it. You tell me we go 10-2 in the SEC, we're a good team. Considering one of those losses is likely to be against the BCS NC team.

You are nuts

Nov 25, 2012, 11:14 PM

Turn this thing around? 20 wins in two years and you want to turn it around? It is going in the right direction. What you need to understand is that South Carolina has never ever been this good in football. And they have a head coach who is 67 years old. Leave Dabo alone.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 11:18 PM

There are a couple of problems with your scenario for hiring Spurrier. First of all, one of his criteria for picking a school was that the program had the resources to be successful but had experienced little success. Your prior national title would have disqualified you on that point. Spurrier wanted to go someplace and succeed for the first time. He talks about it all the time to this day.

The second point is that outbidding Carolina for Spurrier was a moot point. Spurrier left money on the table when he said to McGee something to the effect, "I've already made more money than I could possibly spend in two lifetimes." He then gave McGee a lower amount and suggested that Carolina put the difference into womens' programs.

Finally, how could you have fired TB midway through 04 when he was less than a year out from the job performance that prompted you to give him the extension with a very big buyout?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 11:23 PM

"Finally, how could you have fired TB midway through 04 when he was less than a year out from the job performance that prompted you to give him the extension with a very big buyout? "

I wouldn't have given him the job extension in 2004-5. At the time he was 2-3 in bowls and 3 seasons with 7 wins or less.

Nov 25, 2012, 11:27 PM

Spurrier is a good coach, you can't argue that. He's also a d-bag and I couldn't stand him before he was at SC. I didn't want him and I'm glad we didn't go after him. If you'll check, his team is on probation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 11:28 PM

Wow, that probation seems to be slowing him/them down a lot. 10-2 in the SEC and a win over their in-state rival.

Nov 25, 2012, 11:29 PM

Posts like this make me embarrassed to be a Tiger!!
Good grief!

Let's compare both of them's first 5 years

Nov 25, 2012, 11:35 PM

Yeah there is no comparison, At least Dabo is winning 10 games a year in his first 4, O and Spurrier was 1-3 his first 4 vs Clemson. Dabo has 4 years of coaching experience and has done more that probably 95% of coaches in history. Also all the talent will be gone? He is recruiting top 10 talent every year. 4 WR's are coming in and a butt load of RB's including 2 very good RB's are committed to 2014 class. 4 star talent all over on defense coming in, and 5 star players like Adams and Alexander are very high on us. Some of you people are the most clueless people and I hope you're just trying to stir crap and don't actual believe some of the crap you spew.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's compare both of them's first 5 years

Nov 26, 2012, 12:11 AM

I believe the "crap" I'm writing.
So, to answer your recruiting spin on the topic. We didn't have a rivals 5* player last year and we currently don't have one on the board this year either. I know that stars aren't everything, but if the best players want to go to your school, it is telling.

Re: Let's compare both of them's first 5 years

Nov 26, 2012, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Let's compare both of them's first 5 years ]

Reall you are excited we are recruiting more RB's and Reciever's? We aren't going to win with just WR and RBs we need LINEMAN.

Nov 26, 2012, 5:24 AM

I've wanted Bobby Johnson ever since you left Vanderbilt. Vandy has no athletic department, hard academics, and very litttle recruiting power and he did well there. He also has huge ties to Clemson. He grew up in Columbia and played for Clemson. His wife is also a Clemson grad, and would take the job in a minute.

Nov 26, 2012, 5:43 AM

You are not in the SEC. Steve wouldn't have given you guys the time of day.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic