Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Celtics Fans: These Aren't Your Regular-Season Cavs.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Celtics Fans: These Aren't Your Regular-Season Cavs.

May 10, 2018, 1:10 PM

Its gonna get ugly.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/these-arent-your-regular-season-cavs/?addata=espn:frontpage

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a fan of either..

May 10, 2018, 2:06 PM

But no they aren't. However, the Celtics have looked good so far in the post season despite injuries. Remember, the 76ers were one of, if not, the hottest team heading into the playoffs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You better get your wins this year. May not

May 10, 2018, 2:11 PM

ever happen again. We get Kyrie and Gordon Haywood back next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You better get your wins this year. May not

May 10, 2018, 3:37 PM

You better hope Lebron leaves Cleveland and goes to the west.

May 10, 2018, 5:33 PM

Na, it's not really up to Lebron anymore. Even if he stays with Cleveland next year. The Celtics should be the favorite in future years when all things are considered.

May 11, 2018, 2:20 PM

Cleveland with LeBron, K Love, Smith, Korver, Hill, Thompson, and co will be better than the Celtics with Kyrie and Gordon back. I really like both of them but it is hard to best Lebron in the playoffs especially with shooters around him.

May 11, 2018, 2:35 PM

No offense, but you're nuts in my opinion. Lebron is obviously the best player, but after that I'd put Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, and Jaylen Brown in front of anyone else on the Cavs. After Love, I'd put Jayson Tatum ahead of anyone else on the Cavs. The Celtics have a far better head coach and a great front office, so while there will likely be some losses this offseason (Marcus Smart comes to mind), there's probably going to be a solid supporting cast coming off the bench.

May 10, 2018, 4:02 PM [ in reply to You better get your wins this year. May not ]

Boston will own the East for the next couple of years, maybe even next decade.

Kyrie had knee surgery. It's going to be a long road back.

May 10, 2018, 4:45 PM [ in reply to You better get your wins this year. May not ]

Looking forward to what Cleveland can do once they've had a chance to work their new young players into their proper roles.

Cleveland should wrap this series up in 6 games and then on to The Finals!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kyrie had knee surgery. It's going to be a long road back.

May 10, 2018, 5:42 PM

I don't think it was surgery on the knee, it was surgery to clean up some stuff which had remained from his knee surgery, if that makes sense. The hope is that he'll be A-ok moving forward.

Minor knee surgery. Longer road for Hayward who broke his

May 10, 2018, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Kyrie had knee surgery. It's going to be a long road back. ]

leg.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Celtics Fans: These Aren't Your Regular-Season Cavs.

May 10, 2018, 6:08 PM

I think the Cavs will win the series, but I'm not sure it'll get ugly. Brad Stevens has done great working with such a beaten & battered roster. The 76ers came into that series in great shape health-wise and were fast becoming the favorite, and the Celtics stomped them...they did that even with Jaylen Brown being out for a game.

A friend and I were talking about the Celtics' situation and came to the conclusion that it may actually be a blessing in disguise because it's allowed Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier to make incredible strides this year. If Hayward & Irving can come back healthy next season, then this team will be incredible.

The east is terrible, so it doesn't really matter who wins

May 10, 2018, 10:38 PM

Western conference will continue to dominate for the foreseeable future.

Warriors and rockets don't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Re: The east is terrible, so it doesn't really matter who wins

May 11, 2018, 1:25 PM

The West definitely has better top-tier teams than the East, but this isn't the late-2000s anymore. The East has a solid group of teams in the Celtics, Raptors (despite firing their coach this morning), 76ers, and Cavs (if Lebron stays). The Rockets and Warriors are both very good, but a healthy Celtics team is probably as good as either one of them next year even without any roster moves.

May 13, 2018, 4:43 PM

It's only been a half but...wow. Jaylen Brown & Jayson Tatum are looking like blockbuster picks. Cleveland's defense looks absolutely helpless currently. We all know Lebron is set to blow up at any moment but so far the Celtics have looked very impressive. Lebron is the #1 player, but even with the insane amount of injuries, the Celtics probably have #2-4 and then #6-10.

May 13, 2018, 4:46 PM

you were correct, it got ugly

May 13, 2018, 6:24 PM

It's obviously a long series, but wow. The Celtics came out to play. I think the Cavs are still rightfully the favorites, but I think it's clear that the gap that people thought the Cavs had between them and the Celtics isn't as big as they thought.

May 13, 2018, 7:44 PM

Does a favorite lose by 25 points to an underdog in a championship series opener ?
At this point , I would say the Celtics have assumed the favorites role .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Cavs were 4-26 from behind the arc

May 13, 2018, 7:56 PM

I don't think that's likely to happen again. Granted they still lost by 25, but it's only 1 game. If the Cavs win game 2 in Boston they go back home at 1-1 which is exactly where they want to be. I'm not sure i would call them favorites anymore though. It's probably more like even money now.

Re: Cavs were 4-26 from behind the arc

May 13, 2018, 8:03 PM

They'd have to win 4 of the next 5 or 6 , so I think I would put Boston up at the favorite spot with today's display .
Not likely to happen again is a lot tougher to agree with when it just happened , and it looked easy .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Cavs were 4-26 from behind the arc

May 13, 2018, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Cavs were 4-26 from behind the arc ]

I think even if they were hitting their 3s this was going to be a convincing win for the Celtics, if not a blowout. The Celtics were getting complacent in the 3rd quarter which probably wouldn't happen in a closer game. While the missed 3s definitely hurt them, the fact that they couldn't stop anything the Celtics did was the bigger problem.

One thing I saw Bill Simmons say, and I think he may be right, is that Jaylen Brown was clearly hurting against Philadelphia. He may be the best active player on the Celtics, and tonight he looked like his old self. He was averaging 20.5 points against the Bucks before getting injured in Game 7. He missed the first game of the 76ers series and then averaged 12.3 ppg before having a solid Game 5 (24 pts). He was rounding back into form at the end of the Philadelphia series but I think getting 3 days off really made a difference. He had an explosiveness tonight that we hadn't seen since Milwaukee. If he's back at 100%, then this Celtics team is going to be tough to stop.

What's amazing is that their two best scorers are 20 & 21 years old. No matter what plays out this series, if Irving and Hayward come back as their old selves next season, the Celtics will be right there with Golden State.

May 15, 2018, 11:56 PM

Well Lebron certainly came out firing tonight, and while only he & Love were particularly great on offense, the effort of the Cavs was much better across the board...and in the end they lost by 13.

A lot of talking heads were talking about how the Celtics "wouldn't have any film to look at" since the first game was so lopsided, and I think the first half was a product of that tonight. The Cavs made some good adjustments, but Brad Stevens must have seen something at the half because this was certainly a tale of two halves.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of this plays out. The Celtics haven't been great on the road, but they're really playing good basketball right now.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic