Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OSU offense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

OSU offense

Dec 13, 2019, 3:57 PM

OSU has an extremely talented offense and there's no denying that but what people all year have failed to mention is that there's a reason they have a lot of TD's and not the amount of yards you'd expect. They don't play any offenses that are really all that good at moving the ball all game and constantly are set up on the better side of the 50 for offense, even games like Penn State and Wisconsin where they didn't score "a ton" this is the reason. Wisconsin was able to move the ball last weekend and the offense showed it wasn't able to consistently move the field all game, once they were given good field position all 2nd half OSU was rolling so you can clearly see where they're more comfortable as they're a run first offense.

Clemson will be able to move the ball and it will be up to the defenses to see who slows who more to win the field position battle, Clemson has the more explosive offense, if Clemson wins big it won't be because of what OSU did wrong but because of Clemson being elite on both sides of the ball unlike other teams they've faced who were good on defense and average on offense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OSU offense

Dec 13, 2019, 4:05 PM

All of those Big10 teams run the ball well, but do not pass it very well. OSU can load the line and stop Wisconsin, Meeeechigan, Penn State, Iowa and the other stiffs in that conference. Last time I checked, Clemson runs it and passes it with equal aplomb.

Dec 13, 2019, 4:27 PM

They can pick their poison, but poison it will be for them. We will take what they are vulnerable at and exploit it. The trouble for them is we are so multi-talented on offense and defense. There is not much they can do to shut us down, but we can ware them out with our multi-talented offense, and our shut-down defense. People forget that when we played UNC we still were trying lots of combinations and situations to better help us be able to handle anything we might see. OSU will find that out soon, and they won't like what they run into. We will!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2019, 5:38 AM [ in reply to Re: OSU offense ]

Kind of like what our D can do in the ACC due to the weak competition. That's why I am so interested to see what our D will do vs balanced attacks of Ohio State and LSU.

You've made a great point, after reading your post I

Dec 13, 2019, 4:11 PM

pulled up the NCAA total offense stats. Clemson is 3rd and OSU is 5th. But looking at our opponents Wake is 12th and UNC is 14th. Even BC is 25th. But the top B1G offense that tOSU played this season is Indiana at 31st.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Those are interesting stats...

Dec 13, 2019, 4:12 PM

thank you for taking the time to do that research for us.

Live well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

You are welcome Francis Marion. I do enjoy being

Dec 13, 2019, 4:14 PM

engaged in serious football discussions and it's always helpful to use stats to back up a well-articulated opinion like the OP put forth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: You are welcome Francis Marion. I do enjoy being

Dec 13, 2019, 4:15 PM

you guys make tigernet a better place /s

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2019, 4:52 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2019, 5:15 PM [ in reply to You are welcome Francis Marion. I do enjoy being ]

Get a room you two ??

Re: You've made a great point, after reading your post I

Dec 13, 2019, 4:21 PM [ in reply to You've made a great point, after reading your post I ]

I’m glad I’m not an OSU fan right now. I tried to get on your kumbayah peace and love mantra. I thought about what it would be like to be an OSU fan. compassion, ya know?

I got the biggest pit of anxiety in my stomach. I am so worried about the upcoming game. Everything reminds me so much of last time. Imagine having to live like that until DEC 28.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish I could give you what I believe to be a score

Dec 13, 2019, 4:27 PM

prediction for this game, but after I did that yesterday it was deleted by our lovable tnet moderators because it hurt our opponents' feelings. I'll just say I think we win, but as long as our Ohio State friends have fun and try their best, that's all that really matters.

Dec 13, 2019, 4:28 PM [ in reply to You've made a great point, after reading your post I ]

Indiana had a backup QB against OSU too.

Dec 13, 2019, 5:57 PM [ in reply to You've made a great point, after reading your post I ]

What was the highest rank defense you faced?

IDK but we have the same offensive personnel that could’ve

Dec 13, 2019, 6:27 PM

hung 60 on Bama last year. I know I know that was last year but this year’s offense is better statistically in spite of usually only playing the starters two and a half quarters. Also consider that our offensive staff did not fully open the playbook until we were in the playoff last year. That’s why Saban was shell shocked during his halftime interview last year. Take from this what you will but your defense will have their hands full.

Peace love and all that good stuff from Tiger Nation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2019, 12:47 AM [ in reply to Re: You've made a great point, after reading your post I ]

Not very high that is for sure. It was A&M I believe. We will be the best team y'all have faced on both sides of the ball and y'all will be the best team we have faced on both sides of the ball. We are pretty even at most positions but we have the better qb and the better defensive coordinator so I would say we have a pretty good edge. Should be a great game tho.

Dec 14, 2019, 8:07 AM

Not very high that is for sure. It was A&M I believe. We will be the best team y'all have faced on both sides of the ball and y'all will be the best team we have faced on both sides of the ball. We are pretty even at most positions but we have the better qb and the better defensive coordinator so I would say we have a pretty good edge. Should be a great game tho.

Texas A&M had the 31st ranked defense in the country and they were the top ranked defense you played and you struggled to score 24. We hung 56 on the 6th ranked defense....on the road in front of 105,000 of their closest friends with a banged up QB. We played 6 games against better defensive teams than your best and still had comparable offensive production for the year. Had we had the benefit of playing so many soft defenses, Justin Fields would be your Heisman winner, Dobbins runner-up with Young not far behind. It does make a difference fellas....

Dec 14, 2019, 8:30 AM

I’m not saying the ACC was stellar this year by any stretch. However, couldn’t your argument for all this amazing defenses be used against OSU also? Maybe all those amazing defenses were ranked so high because they played crappy offenses most of the season? The big 10 is typically line up to ground and pound the whole game. Defensively, that helps stats look better. A few years ago, OSU had the greatest pass defense ever because they played big 10 teams. I believe a guy named Watson had a field day throwing the ball against them didn’t he?

Dec 14, 2019, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Re: You've made a great point, after reading your post I ]

It didn't matter when Michigan St. and Ohio St. got shutout in the playoff semifinals. Both of those teams no doubt played great Big10 defenses those years.

The thing is, those Big10 defenses are not as good as the rankings indicate. All year those defenses go up against one dimensional, unimaginative, slow offenses without elite QB play.....without elite skill position play in general. Who is the second best QB in the Big10?

Texas A&M suffered several injuries this year, particularly at TE which is critical for Jimbo's offense. As a result, they became predictable and unimaginative (sound familiar). They went 3 and out more often as a result and got scored on. Then they had to play top10 offenses in LSU and Bama, and other top50 offenses like Ole Miss. In spite of all that, their defense is still ranked 31st as you pointed out and Clemson played them early in the season when they were at full strength, unlike Bama and LSU. Imagine how high the TA&M defense would be ranked if they played in the Big10!?!

Dont worry about if Clemson has been tested. That is just something you tell yourself to feel better. The X's and O's and execution are all that matter in this game between two elite teams.

If you knew anything about Clemson you would know

Dec 14, 2019, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: You've made a great point, after reading your post I ]

that our offense starts slow EVERY year and progresses as the season plays out until we are in championship form.
You can try and fool yourself into thinking that our offense will be shut down by the Buckeyes but you will see. I’m telling you we have not fully opened the playbook yet.

Dec 14, 2019, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: You've made a great point, after reading your post I ]

Lmao... Really? Last I saw, your offense only scored 28 on the best scoring defense you faced. Guess where Clemson is in scoring defense...yeah, #1.

Dec 13, 2019, 11:19 PM [ in reply to You've made a great point, after reading your post I ]

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Some-stats-for-fun-(or-not-if-you-hate-numbers)-1959640

Clemson

Dec 14, 2019, 8:23 AM [ in reply to You've made a great point, after reading your post I ]

While scanning those stats, I couldn’t help but see that USuCk only scored 30 offensive tds, ALL YEAR. They only scored 30 offensive tds in 12 games. The really funny thing is they scored 8 or 9 of those tds against Char Southern or whoever they played. That is downright pathetic. lol.

Dec 13, 2019, 4:32 PM

I think its time for some of you to understand that this is going to be a difficult matchup for our defense.

Coach V is arguably the best in the business at being able to disguise his coverages and defensive schemes. Having our all world DL the past 4 years has allowed him to do many different things in the secondary to confuse the opponents and it has allowed him to take bigger risks in the secondary. He doesn't really have that luxury this year. This DL is significantly different from years past.

I do think we will see MUCH more of the 4-3 this game in an attempt to keep Fields contained in the pocket. We are going to have to spy with Simmons majority of the time because Fields would simply leave Skalski and Smith in the dust. This will of course limit the usage of Simmons in the pass rush and coverage. If Fields comes out slow then when may be able to get away with sliding in a safety to spy him at times so that Simmons can be utilized more.

Its going to be imperative for us that Rudolph and Foster have a great game because XT will draw most of the double teams. They will need to find a way to keep Fields contained in the pocket and limit his quick throwing lanes. Make no mistake about it, Fields is a one read and tuck kind of QB...IF you make him uncomfortable...

This may be just a game where we are going to have to put our foot in the dirt and have to outscore OSU.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Dec 14, 2019, 8:12 AM

Really like your point about Fields making only one read. I just don't like his chances of consistently making good reads the first time playing BV.

I also saw OSU just outrun most Big 10 defenses. OSU has probably caught up speed-wise, but the rest of that conference has not. Our defensive speed will make Fields' already difficult reads even harder.

I'm reminded of what Peyton Manning told Archie during his woeful first season with the Colts: "Dad, nobody's open."

Clemson also has more defensive depth than Michigan or Wisky

Dec 13, 2019, 4:51 PM

...so they won't be gassed in the 2nd half.

Dec 13, 2019, 6:22 PM

"once they were given good field position all 2nd half OSU was rolling"

Ohio State's starting field position in the second half

1. OSU 25 (TD)
2. WIS 16 (FG)
3. OSU 31 (TD)
4. OSU 35 (TD)
5. OSU 31 (FG)
6. OSU 38 (punt)

Edited for fun: OSU's drives the first half

1. OSU 25 (41 yds, TO on downs)
2. OSU 8 (50 yds, punt)
3. OSU 25 (68 yds, fumble)
4. OSU 29 (71 yds, TD)
5. OSU 25 (-1 yd, half)

Dec 14, 2019, 6:15 AM

No doubt it's going to be a battle. I don't take any opponent lightly, and I'm sure Dabo isn't either.

I'll admit. I am taking Ohio St very lightly.

Dec 14, 2019, 7:34 AM

Posted for opposing fans by a fan.

I am too, not the least bit nervous

Dec 14, 2019, 8:54 AM

I haven't been nervous since maybe the 2016 title game

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2019, 9:07 AM

That's a lot of wordery just to guarantee a win .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic