Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is the state of Clemson Baseball? Is the cupboard
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

What is the state of Clemson Baseball? Is the cupboard

Jun 5, 2015, 11:24 AM

bare, half stocked? I don't follow as close as I used to but I know that there are Tnet experts that do...so fill us in!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is the state of Clemson Baseball? Is the cupboard

Jun 5, 2015, 11:29 AM

We have good class coming in and can't imagine DRad giving anyone releases. He's already destroyed any credibility we have in the baseball world so why care if he pisses a few kids and their families off. But expect mass defections from anyone that is eligible to leave. Next year will probably be the worst season in Clemson baseball hstory.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2015, 11:30 AM

Wow....

You have any evidence to back up the bull #### you are spewing all over the board?

Dont correct Vivitz guys he will just take his ball put you on ignore and go home like the child he is.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 5, 2015, 11:33 AM

Yeah, he is close to 100% wrong on this issue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2015, 11:42 AM

So we don't have a good class coming in?

We will offer unconditional releases to signees?

Or do I not understand 100%

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is your kid or some relative a signee....?

Jun 5, 2015, 12:55 PM

You're just pulling stuff out of left field (pun intended).

btw, im sure DRad was shocked to Leggetts former assistants saying nice things about him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is your kid or some relative a signee....?

Jun 5, 2015, 1:10 PM

The previous poster said I was "nearly 100% wrong". I posed two simple questions that were the crux of my arguments. I think it would hard to argue that I was wrong on those points but no one has actually addressed them.

As for your question, I am not directly related to any former players. I am fortunate to know the families of a few former players and have often used their seats at games. The families I do know all had kids play at different times and all until now have continued to support the baseball team financially and have bought season tickets ever since their children played. They are genuinely upset by this decision. I think there is a large unaccounted for segment of the baseball fabase that didn't really believe this was remotely a possibility - therefore weren't activively lobbying against it.

so they are going to quit supporting Clemson bc of this....

Jun 5, 2015, 3:07 PM

sounds like they arent actually Clemson fans, but Jack Leggett only fans.

People deserve their grieving period, but it shall pass.

Re: so they are going to quit supporting Clemson bc of this....

Jun 5, 2015, 3:55 PM

Do you realize that you just put words in my mouth then used them to insult the people I was talking about?

not insulting***

Jun 8, 2015, 5:04 PM

Jun 5, 2015, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Is your kid or some relative a signee....? ]

I bet these parents you know..lol..would not feel the same if their kids had played on one of the teams from the last several years.

Jun 5, 2015, 3:59 PM

You had to throw the LOL in huh? Yes, I'm making up that I know people loosely connected to our baseball program. My braggadocio knows no bounds. Yet, despite you being a complete horse's a** about it I'll acknowledge that you very well could have a point. I have no idea how any current parents feel. I do know there are some clearly upset ones posting on the HS baseball forum - at least one with a child reporting to school in two weeks. Lol.

Wow....I think (hope) you are exaggerating...

Jun 5, 2015, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Re: What is the state of Clemson Baseball? Is the cupboard ]

Maybe DRad makes a great hire and that whoever we get keeps the defections to a minimum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow....I think (hope) you are exaggerating...

Jun 5, 2015, 11:38 AM

He is exaggerating he is putting his fandom of a man above the University.

His sour grapes are spewing out of all pores of his body.

null

Re: You are right about one thins: NEXT year would have

Jun 5, 2015, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: What is the state of Clemson Baseball? Is the cupboard ]

been the worse year in Clemson baseball without a doubt. We may have a chance of escaping that.

Jun 5, 2015, 12:01 PM

When we don't make the tournament for the next three years are you gonna put all the blame on Coach Leggett. Fans like you sitting on your hands and groaning in the stands are more the problem than Leggett ever was.

Jun 5, 2015, 1:19 PM

Sad thing is you will probably be pulling for us to not make the tournament the way you are acting about this whole thign...

Some fan you are.

null

Jun 5, 2015, 3:51 PM

The irony is that this exact same argument could be used against the people that wanted 7 gone had he still been around.

But of course they only want what's best for the university and are not putting their fandom first either...

I would love to see us get straight back into Super Regionals the next few years, but I do expect us to drop off as a whole for the next couple of years before things get better. That's what happens when you make changes like this. But in the end we will return

Jun 5, 2015, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: You are right about one thins: NEXT year would have ]

He has me on ignore so he wont see this but I am willing to make a bet that we make the tournament in the next three years.

Put your money where your mouth is Vivitz?

null

LMAO...Jack is that you?***

Jun 8, 2015, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: What is the state of Clemson Baseball? Is the cupboard ]

my opinion

Jun 5, 2015, 11:35 AM

looking at next year, offensively we will be ok. with Okey, Rholman, Wilson, batson, ponder all back with another year of experience under their belt. this should be an average to above average hitting team next season, providing player development improves over the next nine months.

pitching is a whole different story. we lose our top three weekend starters and don't have anyone looking to take their place. long, crownover, and erwin had 19 of our 32 wins. (Koener was 4-5, but really struggled after his dominating performance against the chickens. Bullpen was horrid this year, but injuries to Pat Andrews,Moyer, and Bates did not help. i think it is fair to say that the cupboard is bare in pitching.

recruiting has like the 11th rating class but to be honest nothing matters until the mlb draft. it is hard for me to follow baseball recruiting simply because of the unknowns. this is especially the case with our kids playing for a different coach that recruited them, does that make it easier to jump to the pros and sign an mob team?

fielding can't get any worse, and costs us several games this season. that is an obvious area of improvement that must be priority #1.

all in all the cupboard is half stocked at best. i'd expect us to be the same next season, at best. and likely to take a step down or two, depending on the draft.

ALL IN!!

Re: my opinion

Jun 5, 2015, 12:24 PM

U forgot about the absolutely HORRIBLE baserunning!!this almost HAS to improve; it certainly can not get any worse!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good breakdown

Jun 5, 2015, 3:07 PM [ in reply to my opinion ]

We were likely looking at a down year next year regardless of who was HC because of the loss of pitching from this year and lack of development on the staff.

today is the first day in almost 60 years that Clemson

Jun 5, 2015, 11:46 AM

did not have a baseball head coach.

Re: I'm going to cry.***

Jun 5, 2015, 11:49 AM

Re: I'm going to cry.***

Jun 5, 2015, 12:59 PM

Clemson is Clemson...Clemson baseball will survive....With a solid new young and vibrant approach in coaching staff I believe you will see most players will stay on....most recruits will still come here....and you might even find some recruiting surprises result....the overall situation from academics to beautiful campus setting to the new facilities to open this next year - all will help to assure a solid prospect for this program to excel!

Jun 5, 2015, 12:29 PM

I know a lot wanted Jack gone but I keep wondering if the area is just not producing enough good players. Unc was bad, Usc was bad, Uga was bad so we are not the only ones with a bad season. I would like someone to explain why all these schools including CU have fallen so far in the last couple of years.

Jun 5, 2015, 3:36 PM

Look at the rosters for SC, CU, Coastal, and C of C and count the SC. THEN, look at the box scores and see exactly how many SC kids are actually playing on a regular basis. The talent level in SC high schools has improved, but it is still pretty low. That's the reason ALL of these schools do so much recruiting out of state. There are far more good players in NC and GA. UNC just had an off year. They will be better. UGA has underachieved for years and I have never understood that with all of the talent in GA. I used to think it was Perno, but the new guy isn't doing much better.

But, a big part of the problem for all of these teams is recruiting is a crap shoot. Clemson and SC have both landed some guys that were highly rated by Baseball America and Perfect Game. But, scouts are often wrong and a lot of these guys simply have not panned out. That's baseball.

> I know a lot wanted Jack gone but I keep wondering if
> the area is just not producing enough good players.
> Unc was bad, Usc was bad, Uga was bad so we are not
> t the only ones with a bad season. I would like
> someone to explain why all these schools including CU
> have fallen so far in the last couple of years.

Jun 5, 2015, 1:27 PM

I am a graduate of Clemson (1980) and my son is a junior pitcher (NC) with a couple of D1 offers (mid-level, not Clemson). His travel baseball team plays all over NC and SC (Charleston Columbia and Rock Hill)and myself and some of the other parents have noticed over the last couple of years that Clemson does not seem to recruit NC players very much (with a few exceptions)and they rarely show up at any showcase events in NC. Kids from NC would love to play at Clemson, but they do not seem to cover that state very well. The parents all assume the coaches focused on SC and Georgia, but last summer when we played in Charleston and Columbia, Clemson was not around to watch and these were some of the better-talented teams from NC.

Jun 5, 2015, 2:26 PM

just another reason Jack is gone

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly

Jun 5, 2015, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: What is the state of Clemson Baseball? Is the cupboard ]

You aren't the only one I have heard with tales like this.

A good friend of mine has been a HS baseball coach here in SC for close to 15 years, has produced a number of players who have went on to play DI ball and he has never had a Clemson coach initiate contact with either him or one of his players, it was always the player or coaching staff initiating contact first. He says the other in-state schools at the very least touch base every year to see if he has anybody they might be interested in.

Jun 5, 2015, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: What is the state of Clemson Baseball? Is the cupboard ]

Kevin O'Sullivan once told me that he absolutely HATED going to East Cobb because of all of the crazy parents and the kids with attitude problems. But, he had to do it because that's where the players were. East Cobb is closer to Clemson than most of SC, and dang near all of NC. And, it attracts teams/players from all across the country. It is common sense that Clemson would spend more time there, and places like Jupiter and the new PG facility in Emerson, Georgia, Lake Pointe. Rock Hill, Columbia, and Charleston aren't exactly talent hotbeds. Nor are they known for a lot of high level tournaments. (Despite what the Diamond Devils may tell you). But, Clemson does scout at all of those places DEPENDING on what is going on elsewhere. They also scout the Diamond Prospects showcases that are generally held in the Columbia area. They also scout some Impact tournaments in NC, but it doesn't make sense to spend too much time there with all of the tournaments at East Cobb and Lake Pointe. It's all about going where you can get the most bang for your recruiting buck.

> I am a graduate of Clemson (1980) and my son is a
> junior pitcher (NC) with a couple of D1 offers
> (mid-level, not Clemson). His travel baseball team
> plays all over NC and SC (Charleston Columbia and
> Rock Hill)and myself and some of the other parents
> have noticed over the last couple of years that
> Clemson does not seem to recruit NC players very much
> (with a few exceptions)and they rarely show up at any
> showcase events in NC. Kids from NC would love to
> play at Clemson, but they do not seem to cover that
> state very well. The parents all assume the coaches
> focused on SC and Georgia, but last summer when we
> played in Charleston and Columbia, Clemson was not
> around to watch and these were some of the
> better-talented teams from NC.

Jun 5, 2015, 4:20 PM

Agree with your assessment and we have seen the pitching coach at the NC powerade games last year and I did see the pitching coach at East Cobb last year watching one of our games. But I can tell you Clemson did not have the same recruiting attitude the other schools. Schools like ECU, Liberty, NC State, College of Charleston and Radford are actively recruiting our travel team players and the players on our NC opponents. The never hear from Clemson. Most of these teams would beat Clemson lately but the players I know being recruited by these teams would consider it an honor to get a text or phone call from Clemson. We just assume they go after the PG 10 rated Georgia standouts. I do know of two Clemson commits from NC however that was recruited out of the JL camps. Some kids don't like the camp route anymore though.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic