Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why exactly did we invite Louisville into ACC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 5,044

Why exactly did we invite Louisville into ACC?

Jun 1, 2013, 7:54 PM

I'm not impressed with their fans or their player's lack of class. Never had been. It started with the Denny Crum years in bball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why exactly did we invite Louisville into ACC?

Jun 1, 2013, 7:55 PM

lack of class?

null

Jun 1, 2013, 7:58 PM

Also they were invited due to their Athletic Department being very well rounded. Their fans have been great the times I have been around them.

I didnt know that players showing emotion was "lack of class".

null

Jun 1, 2013, 8:01 PM

i like the hustle and passion, looks like they enjoy winning

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe Clemson should show less class too.***

Jun 1, 2013, 8:03 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

strongest all around athletic program we have added in the

Jun 1, 2013, 8:13 PM

last 10 years of expansion (and in their case "replacement") bonanza.

So you would have preferred UCONN, Cincy or USF over

Jun 1, 2013, 8:17 PM

Louisville? Good Gawd!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because there weren't enough teams in the conference

Jun 1, 2013, 8:21 PM

already that can beat the snot out of our basketball team.

Re: Because there weren't enough teams in the conference

Jun 2, 2013, 8:12 AM

Ringknocker.....the list of schools that can beat the basketball program is long. An many not nearly as distinguished as Louisville. Heck, Coastal Carolina now has a winning streak going against Clemson. They cannot even win that powerhouse conference known as the Big South.

As far as all the academic talk on here. Some of you stray from reality a bit. The student athlete deal is really a bit of a joke. Everyone acts like Clemson recruits kids that could gain entry into an Ivy League school. Just like most other sports programs that is so far from the truth. 95% of the athletes in Clemson's main sports couldn't come close to qualifying as a normal student. Same as every sports program. And once they get to campus they are have their hands held with a variety of support, and tutors, that a normal student could only dream of.

And as for Clemson's valiant stand for academics when USC pulled out of the ACC when it was the only conference in the country requiring a 900 on the SAT versus an 800. Not long after the ACC changed their requirements, and Clemson was right on board with the changes to league rules. But then again, maybe Clemson can win another football game against USC sometime again in the future and then you will have something else to brag about besides Barker taking all the Yankee frosh, with high SATs who want to come south to avoid the high tuition up north.

Zero academic status

Jun 1, 2013, 8:23 PM

Even below $ec schools, and well below U$uC.

6 year graduation rate is a pathetic 51%.

But yes, they have good athletic teams. I'm just not a fan of schools being a front for semi-pro teams. And UL is a prime example.

Re: Zero academic status

Jun 1, 2013, 8:25 PM

Who gives a crap. It is an athletic conference. I doubt Vandy minds being in the SEC.

null

I give a crap. ACC has always been strong academically

Jun 1, 2013, 8:31 PM

That's been a source of pride. Heck, that's why u$uC left the ACC: they wanted to recruit dumber athletes. Seems to be working well for them. BUT, academics matter. That's why Clemson exists in the firs place.

There are plenty of pro teams that people can pull for. I'm ready for the return to a STUDENT-athlete environment --- away from the ATHLETE-student.

Just one man's opinion.

Re: I give a crap. ACC has always been strong academically

Jun 2, 2013, 9:14 AM

That sounds noble, but college athletics is a business now. (and has been for quite some time)

Jun 1, 2013, 8:28 PM

They will be one of the top 3-4 teams in all sports instantly, and you're worried about class? Lol you are an absolute buffoon.

You are obviously too young to understand

Jun 1, 2013, 8:35 PM

Academics matters. You'll eventually understand that a Clemson degree means something. And that a Louisville and a UCF degree mean much less.

Re: You are obviously too young to understand

Jun 1, 2013, 9:25 PM

Academics definitely matter when it comes to the real world, but not on the field/court. Am I happy Clemson has good academics? Obviously. I wasn't an athlete while at Clemson(outside of my championship-level alcohol consumption and tolerance), so it benefited me...

However I don't think I've ever seen a Clemson athlete hold out a degree mid-game and say "Ha! A potential advantage in getting an entry-level position at a company!"

Overall, using academics in an athletic conversation is just a way for fans to justify losing or make some kind of weak excuse.

Well put.

Jun 1, 2013, 9:33 PM

I gurantee if you ask most major college athletes their reasons for going to a certain school over another the answer would be to get to the next level athletically.

A good example would be Mike Minor. Went to Vaderbilt but instead of using a degree from there, I'm not sure he stayed all four years anyways, he pitches in the Major Leagues.

Christian Ponder was a pretty good academic student but instead he makes more money as an NFL quarterback.

Most college athletes make their living in the "normal work force" but they play athletics in college to make it to the next level, not because a school has good academics.

If that were the case then wouldn't Duke excel in football as well as basketball?

Re: Well put.

Jun 1, 2013, 9:46 PM

Don't forget Myron Rolle, the extremely smart and talented guy who chose Florida State, a school not known for it's academic power...however he's definitely not your typical student, let alone student athlete.

FSU is a top 100 school. Louisville is not a top 150 school

Jun 1, 2013, 10:23 PM

But who cares about academics.

Re: FSU is a top 100 school. Louisville is not a top 150 school

Jun 1, 2013, 10:57 PM

Top 100, yes...but #97. Regardless, FSU is not known for its academics.

Ultimately though, we shouldn't really be putting too much into the academic status of a school when it comes to their athletic performances as long as there isn't rampant cheating.

Re: FSU is a top 100 school. Louisville is not a top 150 school

Jun 2, 2013, 9:18 AM

Agreed.

Touting your institution's academic reputation is an excuse usually used when your athletic team is losing.

I would rather retain a good/great academic institution that wins on
the athletic fields as well. (but not at all cost, like SC has done)

So using that logic

Jun 1, 2013, 9:50 PM [ in reply to You are obviously too young to understand ]

the fact Vandy is in the SEC helps the degree's of Bama, Ole Miss, and Scar grads....

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Just curious, who does have classy fans?

Jun 1, 2013, 8:39 PM

Seems like every school, Clemson included, has its boneheads.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Louisville is working on academics

Jun 1, 2013, 8:41 PM

I read it in more than one article. Their football team had a respectable year in the classroom: http://www.gocards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010813aaa.html

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

And you believe those players earned those grades?

Jun 1, 2013, 8:43 PM

And you believe they are improving their overall academics? I hope that is true.

Re: And you believe those players earned those grades?

Jun 1, 2013, 9:51 PM

I would say there is a much greater chance that they earned the grades than a school like...UNC.

Give them a chance--I do believe they are trying.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: And you believe those players earned those grades?

Jun 1, 2013, 9:56 PM [ in reply to And you believe those players earned those grades? ]

Wow did you really just accuse their entire team of "not earning grades" good lord you are pathetic.

null

If U$uC can keep Clowney academically eligible

Jun 1, 2013, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Louisville is working on academics ]

I'm not sure what that says for their academics. And I suspect that says that any school can find a way to give good grades to athletes. And that is sad statement regarding higher education in this country and their entire NCAA Student-Athlete concept.

That said, I love my Clemson Tigers. Clemson has a nice balance between academics and athletics, or at least I think so.

Re: If U$uC can keep Clowney academically eligible

Jun 2, 2013, 10:32 AM

I remember them saying the same about William Perry.I'm glad Dabo is doing things right. There's a lot to be said for that

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If U$uC can keep Clowney academically eligible

Jun 2, 2013, 10:45 AM [ in reply to If U$uC can keep Clowney academically eligible ]

this has to be a JOKE,,, right??? if he is alive the dirty c$$ts will play him even if he never goes to another class!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So we need to oust the tar holes then, no integrity there***

Jun 1, 2013, 9:08 PM

class lol

Jun 1, 2013, 9:11 PM

Why does everyone on here talk about class all the time? Very self-righteous

People with low pulses (and coots) will never get it.***

Jun 1, 2013, 9:26 PM

Re: People with low pulses (and coots) will never get it.***

Jun 1, 2013, 9:35 PM

anybody try because as it currently sits the ACC is a s### football conference outside of us and FSU, and cincy and uconn are garbage football programs, and at the end of the day in todays world football is all that matters becuase its where the money is and one bad acdemic school won't hurt anybody..... louisville to the ACC has exactly zero effect on how good a clemson degree is

Re:BULL. Clemson and FSU are not that far ahead of the

Jun 1, 2013, 11:27 PM

rest.

Self Aware - Coot Loser***

Jun 1, 2013, 11:30 PM [ in reply to class lol ]

Because Maryland is joining the Big 10.***

Jun 1, 2013, 9:13 PM

Jun 1, 2013, 9:26 PM

Conferences were formed for athletics. Louisville's sub standard academics will not harm your Clemson degree at all. I used to recruit for my company which is one of the very largest in the country. Unless you were Ivy League, Military Academy or three or four others, it had little to no effect on hiring. It was the individual. An example would be if I interviewed a candidate from Louisville and one from North Carolina we would select the one who impressed us most. Didn't matter where he went to school.

i attended clemson

Jun 1, 2013, 9:44 PM

there is not more moral fiber there anywhere else

Re: i attended clemson

Jun 1, 2013, 9:56 PM

If you attended Clemson you would be smart enough to properly use the board. Therefore you are full of ####.

null

Because Papa John's pizza is darn good.

Jun 1, 2013, 9:51 PM

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Because Papa John's pizza is darn good.

Jun 1, 2013, 10:10 PM

This is the most offensive post on this thread haha

i trasferred

Jun 1, 2013, 10:06 PM

when i realized i was the only one on campus who thought it wasn't the greatest place on Earth

Re: i trasferred

Jun 1, 2013, 10:08 PM

Judging by your command of the English language I am guessing you are full of ####. That plus you still don't know how to use the board.

null

Good for you.

Jun 1, 2013, 10:09 PM [ in reply to i trasferred ]

And good for Clemson as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Louisville Cardinal$

Jun 1, 2013, 10:31 PM

We invited Louisville because they have an awesome athletic department will eventually lead to more money for the conference. That means facility upgrades and coaching salary boosts for all of us. We also added Syracuse, Pitt, and Notre Dame, all of which are ranked above Clemson in the US News and World Report rankings so our academics didn't really take a hit.

http://ryankantor.com/2012/11/20/the-university-of-louisville-should-be-the-accs-prime-target-not-uconn-as-an-upgrade-from-maryland/

Very good link!

Jun 1, 2013, 10:46 PM

Thank you for sharing that. I presented lots of good facts and thoughts.

But it is basically comparing Louisville to only two options: Maryland and UCONN. Surely there are another options? And there were several notes saying that Louisville's "academics are a legitimate concern". How dare they mention academics? :) I never read anything alleviating those concerns other than UL having a law school and a med school. So do several Caribbean islands.

Re: Heck, S C has those and they have not done anything for

Jun 1, 2013, 11:31 PM

them.

Because Maryland Is Leaving And We Need Someone To Take ...

Jun 1, 2013, 11:31 PM

their place .... WVU was deemed unworthy by the ACC a few years back because not academically good enough ... Louisville is??? !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because Maryland Is Leaving And We Need Someone To Take ...

Jun 2, 2013, 9:22 AM

I think the ACC should have been more proactive in expanding the ACC before Maryland left.

Having an athletic conference with 2 of the three largest media markets (NYC/DC) should have been a significant advantage.

If we're judging based on "class"...

Jun 2, 2013, 10:50 AM

Why are FSU and Miami still in the ACC??

Because it was a good move?

Jun 2, 2013, 10:57 AM

They're a fast, physical team with an ellite qb and great coach. Plus they beat the crap out of Florida.

Replies: 51
| visibility 5,044
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic