Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Firsts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Clemson Firsts

Jan 31, 2018, 2:11 PM

In attempting to find out when the Tigers played their first game under lights at Death Valley, I discovered some interesting Firsts. I never did find the date I was looking for but found these comments interesting.

Oct. 1909. Five electric bulbs installed on the football practice fields for the first time to facilitate drills after darkness falls.

Oct. 28, 1915. The University of South Carolina employs ringers (ineligible players) in its first three games, winning handily. An investigation uncovered the ruse before the Clemson - Carolina match and the players were banished from the Gamecock squad. The game ended in a 0-0 tie.

(The Gamecocks have a long-time history of cheating)

Oct. 13, 1933. The Tigers played their first night game in history, They played George Washington Univ. in Washington, DC. The game ended in a 0 - 0 tie

You may find some interesting facts, such as the above, by Googling "CLEMSON FIRSTS"

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't leave out the R***

Jan 31, 2018, 2:13 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

We had ordered six electric bulbs in 1909 but lightbulbbill

Jan 31, 2018, 2:22 PM

broke 1 on his way to deliver them when he blacked out on rum and crashed his horse.
just kidding LBB! You my boy!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: We had ordered six electric bulbs in 1909 but lightbulbbill

Jan 31, 2018, 2:28 PM

I was wondering how much profit Lightbulbbill made on that huge 5 bulb sale. I wonder how much five kerosene lanterns would have cost at that time?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LBB is shrewd businessman. I'm sure he took Coach Williams

Jan 31, 2018, 2:33 PM

to the cleaners.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: LBB is shrewd businessman. I'm sure he took Coach Williams

Jan 31, 2018, 2:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

You are gonna hate seeing....

Jan 31, 2018, 2:26 PM

that you could have received the answer to your question on this very site:
https://www.tigernet.com/football/history/timeline.jsp

October 14, 1933
Clemson played at George Washington in a 0-0 tie. this was the first time Clemson had ever played under the lights. Fans followed the game on a grid graph in Tillman Hall at the Clemson Chapel. A grid was an electrical machine that was marked off like a football field. Lights were so arranged on the graph that every possible play was flashed on the board. The lineups of both teams were written on the sides and the man carrying the ball on each play had a light flashed by his name. Another light representing the runner moved along the board in the same direction and for the same distance as the runner.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are gonna hate seeing....

Jan 31, 2018, 2:30 PM

nm...that was the first night game ever...but not in Death Valley.

Re: You are gonna hate seeing....

Jan 31, 2018, 2:40 PM [ in reply to You are gonna hate seeing.... ]

My question was the first night game in Death Valley. I was there for the game but can't remember the year.

Re: Clemson Firsts

Jan 31, 2018, 2:38 PM

OK, found the real answer, I think. It was Clemson's very first game in Memorial Stadium against Presbyterian, if this wikipedia is right:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Clemson_Tigers_football_team
"The 1948 Clemson Tigers football team represented Clemson College during the 1948 college football season. Memorial Stadium hosted its first night game in the opener against Presbyterian.[1]"

Jan 31, 2018, 2:46 PM

If that was the first night game in Death Valley, I could not have been there because I did not come to Clemson until 1955. As I recall, there were no permanent lighting fixtures when I first came here.

Jan 31, 2018, 2:55 PM

Just did a search to see if there was a picture...

^that's from 1949. Looks like there are poles above the open set of stands in the first that look like it would have been a light pole. Pic is from here:
http://tigerpregameshow.blogspot.com/2017/09/september-13th-clemson-historic-picture.html

second shot seems to also show light poles.

Possibly temporary fixtures?***

Feb 1, 2018, 6:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Possibly temporary fixtures?***

Feb 2, 2018, 9:33 AM

Well, I'd say any light setups were "temporary" in the end, considering they are sitting right where the upper deck was built. ^_^ Can you really call anything in those areas as permanent when you know a solid structure was eventually built where they are?

At the time of that picture the stadium only went up to

Feb 2, 2018, 10:05 AM

what is now the portal level. Where UA, UB, UC, etc start.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic