Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gamecocks cleared out like 40 guys from last season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Gamecocks cleared out like 40 guys from last season

Jul 10, 2017, 11:13 AM

unreal how many 4* they signed that amounted to absolutely nothing or have already left the program (transfer etc)

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article160474349.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gamecocks cleared out like 40 guys from last season

Jul 10, 2017, 11:21 AM

All those listed as quit FB, that program actually makes player to not want to have anything else to do with FB. Sad!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2017, 6:10 PM

36 New members, freshmen, on the team. How is that possible, beyond new scholarship guys how many walk ons can they have?

Jul 10, 2017, 11:37 AM

A little frightening. They turned over 35 guys according to the list...and have 36 newcomers incoming, plus three more on the boards that are listed as "not enrolled". Whoa.

That's some absolutely shocking turnover. Some of them are JUCO players and school-to-school transfers but there's still no way they're not abusing that 25 rule that strangely still does not seem to be in effect in the SEC. I was kind of surprised to see Kaleb Chalmers on their transfer list as well - USC and Clemson in the past have adhered to a gentlemen's agreement that neither school will take the transfer of the other. Muschamp may have cause in the future to regret breaking that agreement.

How the heck are you supposed to build any sort of roster continuity if you're bringing in almost 40 new guys a year, though?

Ironically, even with all that turnover, there's still 8 senior starters on D so Muschamp's going to have to completely rebuild his D after 2017. Ouch. To add to the fun he has three seniors on his OL, and will also undoubtedly have to replace OG/OT Zack Bailey when he jumps to the NFL after his junior year. (Bailey is their one All-American.)

Oh, well. Better them than us, I guess. But that's a mess.

Rebuild a D that's isn't very good to begin with***

Jul 10, 2017, 12:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That turnover makes for less effective early practices.***

Jul 10, 2017, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Gamecocks cleared out like 40 guys from last season ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2017, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Gamecocks cleared out like 40 guys from last season ]

As to Caleb Chalmers, he was dismissed from Clemson so not sure that "transfer" rule would apply.

Yet they're still taking transfers

Jul 10, 2017, 11:38 AM

Pathetic. When Muscoot gets fired in two years it'll be hard to field a full team.

Re: Yet they're still taking transfers

Jul 10, 2017, 12:24 PM

I see muschump being at usuck for a while. Even with loosing and or mediocre seasons.

Am I reading/understanding the article correctly?

Jul 10, 2017, 11:42 AM

There are 36 'newcomers" listed with 3 more that have not reported yet? Does this mean that out of 85 scholarship spots 39 are listed as "newcomers' ? Does this include walk-ons? This would put almost 40% of their roster as first year USCjr players. If this is the case, they have no depth and no idea what they have to work with.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but but but...CussChamp is building a dynasty***

Jul 10, 2017, 12:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 10, 2017, 11:45 AM

This is bad. Really bad. How many of these guys failed to get a chance to graduate? It's one thing for me to use this as ammo to take a jab at the coots but the reality is they are playing with these young men's lives. The NCAA should do more to protect these kids from predator programs like SC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2017, 11:46 AM

I remember Coots sayin got Nunez was their savior, then it was Mcclwain both are gone already now it's Jake bently. Funny how fast those didn't pan out. I think mcclwain could have a good career at Cal where they actually have some talent around him. The Coots have to hate how much of a talent difference there is between us and them.

Jul 10, 2017, 12:29 PM

I really wish we had played Nunez last year over McIlwain.

However Jake Bentley is better than both of them by far so he deserves to be starting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Mclwain was better than Benchley. Benchley can't complete a pass unless his WR is 10-15 yards open..

Jul 10, 2017, 1:50 PM

You coots just keep on topping yourselves with your absurdity. What makes you excited about a guy that led you to a losing season, looked like a deer in headlights against the two quality defenses he played against, and lost a 6th rate bowl game to a mid major?

Daaaaaaaayyyuuuuuuummmmm!!!!!!!!

Jul 10, 2017, 3:04 PM

Keepin' it real, I see TK!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2017, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Gamecocks cleared out like 40 guys from last season ]

You sure do love you some Bentley. I kinda like him myself. He played a whale of a game against us last year. I hope he does the same this year.

Jul 10, 2017, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Gamecocks cleared out like 40 guys from last season ]

Hey may have a decent career if he can learn to stop overthrowing receivers by 10 yards. He was really a poor thrower last year, even by coot standards.

I think this was a poor talent evaluation. Better he focus on getting his baseball career back in order. Or covert to a receiver/RB.

Just like the coaching grave yard at USuCJr so goes

Jul 10, 2017, 12:02 PM

the football players very few move on to another team just leave football for ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just like the coaching grave yard at USuCJr so goes

Jul 10, 2017, 12:18 PM

The big thing here is not football. It's not finishing your education because you can't afford it. It's about being led to believe that a school will pay for you to get your degree and then they don't. It's about those who do finish being strapped with student loan debt when they were mislead about what a scholarship to play football means to an SEC school. These kids are victims of a corrupt system. This is wrong.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2017, 12:30 PM

lol are you being serious?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

South Carolina, graveyard of players and coaches

Jul 10, 2017, 12:58 PM

http://www.espn.com/nfl/college/_/letter/s

If you do this link, you'll find 46 former Clemson players listed as being on NFL rosters.
You'll also find 26 South Carolina players listed as being on NFL rosters.

This despite the fact South Carolina has signed more players to LOI than Clemson over the past decade AND that past decade includes the best five years in the history of Gamecock football.

So players, like coaches, go to South Carolina to end their careers.

Gamecock fans, let me warn you that if you compare the graduation rates of Clemson football players to South Carolina football players, it will and it should break your heart.

Ex-Clemson coaches have coaching lives too. Head men from Clemson have gone on to fame and fortune at other schools. Heck, one ex-Clemson head coach was head coach in the SEC West and lead his team to an SEC title game. The best ever ex-SC coach never won any championships at SC and now sells Dr. Pepper for a living.

South Carolina: The Graveyard of football players and coaches.

Serious question.

Jul 10, 2017, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Just like the coaching grave yard at USuCJr so goes ]

What happened to scar's 4 year schollie guarantee? I missed the announcement that it was dropped.

Jul 10, 2017, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Just like the coaching grave yard at USuCJr so goes ]

^^^^^^^ This

It'll be fun to watch David Williams run for 200 yards

Jul 10, 2017, 12:28 PM

against them this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

your post illustrates why stars and rankings don't

Jul 10, 2017, 2:06 PM

matter much. Besides that, I'm in the "let them keep doing what they're doing" corner. Clearly, it isn't working. I'll never understand why groups (in this case us) complain about the competition (scar) doing things that encourage failure. Happens all the time in politics s well. For example, CNN seems to really hate Trump, right...? Yet they continue to try to change his behavior, which they believe, will make his Presidency more successful. If their ideology is right, their best path would be to let him fail, then clean house in 2020. If you wanna beat your opposition, shut up and let them fail, I say.

Re: your post illustrates why stars and rankings don't

Jul 10, 2017, 5:42 PM

Bentley being better than McIlwain and Nunez isn't saying a whole lot. You might want to revise that.

Re: your post illustrates why stars and rankings don't

Jul 10, 2017, 6:08 PM

It's been 3 years since the coots had a winning season. Yet, you get smartasses like classless09 still coming over talking smack about how good his coots are. Some people just need to ####.

Jul 10, 2017, 6:20 PM

Well there's a reason for that. The Family Court Judge ordered the Deadbeat Dad Van to raid the Coot training facility for lack of child support payments.

40 guys was all they could catch.

Wow. That's an obscene amount of turnover.

Jul 10, 2017, 6:59 PM

Since standard playbook complexity can't help but be lost with such massive attrition and newby influx, I would expect them to have to simply out-trench many opponents (laughable) on each side of the ball with a few trickery dickery plays tossed into the mix - a few scripted sprinkles on top of the vanilla cone.

I may have been generous in thinking they'll manage 6 wins again this season. That's a real eye opener.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2017, 7:52 PM

thanks for poast +1TU

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

They seem to sign a few every year that can't make it into

Jul 11, 2017, 2:15 PM

Dumpster U, whether they be Jucos or out of High School. So, the numbers are always inflated.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic