Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Signing Day 2008
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Signing Day 2008

Feb 6, 2008, 7:02 AM

Signing Day 2008

Check back all day on Wednesday to see the latest on Clemson's 2008 recruiting class. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Richt reminds you of Proctor???

Feb 6, 2008, 8:27 AM

because he doesn't throw interceptions?? I'm really confused, did Plyler mean Harper?

William DEVINE???***

Feb 6, 2008, 8:46 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you...***

Feb 6, 2008, 9:50 AM

Re: William DEVINE???***

Feb 6, 2008, 3:15 PM [ in reply to William DEVINE???*** ]

William Devane played in the early 80's with the fridge. I actually lived beside him in Central in the fall of 86. He was a grad student then.

Re: William DEVINE???***

Feb 6, 2008, 3:45 PM

What about William Devane. I played with him in the 80s.
Just wondering if something happened to him.
Thanks!

Re: Signing Day 2008

Feb 6, 2008, 8:59 AM

Check out Dalton Freeman's official photo. Looks like he has spent more time at the tanning bed than the gym. Who is that in the pic?

jon richt looks like he's 14 and a half***

Feb 6, 2008, 10:35 AM

Feb 6, 2008, 8:59 AM

I played for Dalton Freeman's dad 10 years ago and remember Dalton running around. He sure has changed alot in ten years based on that photo.

Nice pic of Freeman

Feb 6, 2008, 9:04 AM

He looks different.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dwayne Allen

Feb 6, 2008, 12:21 PM

I haven't been following very closely but just yesterday I was reading that he was pretty much solid to Georgia. Great to see that he committed to us.

JAMIE HARPER SIGNS!!!***

Feb 6, 2008, 12:27 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

So now we are over-signing

Feb 6, 2008, 12:28 PM

Didn't we give USC hell for doing this last year?

Re: So now we are over-signing

Feb 6, 2008, 12:34 PM

Crittenton is a Juco kid. I think you get to count him toward last year...isn't that right?

I don't know, if that is true then Hunter would be the same

Feb 6, 2008, 12:35 PM

I just hope our coaches don't pull a SOS an say that a couple kids did not get into school.

Re: I don't know, if that is true then Hunter would be the same

Feb 6, 2008, 1:01 PM

Okay - found out for sure. Anyone enrolling early can count towards last year. I'm not sure how many we actually ended up with last year, but we had 6 enroll in Jan. this year, so we should have plenty of room.

Re: Yep

Feb 6, 2008, 10:32 PM

That's how it works. Early enrollees count towards last year. We don't do things like SOS.

Re: So now we are over-signing

Feb 6, 2008, 1:56 PM [ in reply to So now we are over-signing ]

the kicker from Myrtle Beach is paying his own way his first year, not getting a scholarship.

Feb 6, 2008, 1:35 PM

Went to school 85-90 and have seen some great classes come through butdon't think I have ever seen this much talent in one class. Two 5's and many 4's.WOW Welcome to Tiger Town guys.

Harris and Massie

Feb 6, 2008, 2:31 PM

any word?

Re: Harris and Massie

Feb 6, 2008, 3:52 PM

Harris chose the Tide
Massie headed to prep school unsigned

Feb 6, 2008, 3:14 PM

Okay! So we got some incoming talent! That's great we're gonna need it, but we have always had talent right? So basically, the problem is the coaching staff! Spiller n harper in the backfield sounds real nice.

Feb 6, 2008, 4:01 PM

Bowden's crew has done another good job of recruiting. Interestingly, lately it's the ACC schools that consistently bring in lower-ranked classes that have been keeping Clemson from the ACC title (Wake, BC, & VT), not the ACC's traditional top recruiters (FSU & Miami). I think that indicates that Bowden tends to achieve less with more, and that he isn't as good of a coach as Beamer, Grobe, O'Brien, and maybe Jagodinski. But I'm ever hopeful that Bowden's crew will prove me wrong.

Many Bowden apologists say Clemson can't win a national title because SC is a small rural state with little football talent. I think the last two recruiting classes show how wrong they are. (Not to mention that Clemson won the national title in 1981). Clemson not only signed top-ranked talent in-state and out-of-state, but Clemson also lost some nationally ranked in-state recruits like AJ Green (to UGA). Furthermore, NFLHS.com (which tracks the home states of NFL players) shows that SC ranks #10 in number of native sons playing in the NFL. And unlike FL, NC and other talent-laden states, South Carolina doesn't have to split its football talent among several in-state I-A football schools.

There was an interesting analysis in SI.com regarding the recruiting class rankings by league over recent years. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/02/04/sec.recruiting/index.html The SEC consistently ranks #1 and (somewhat surprisingly) the ACC ranks #2. Also interestingly, the ACC has had more 1st round NFL draft picks than the SEC in recent years. (The author attributes the ACC's poor performance to weak coaching.)

Apparently negative posts on TigerNet have no adverse affect on the decisions of recruits. What a surprise.

Re: Well...

Feb 6, 2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks for that uplifting comentary...

Funny thing is that you just can't seem to get excited about what happened today. It's just sad.

So, your point is that we should fire Bowden. "What a surprise".

Re: Well... actually I made 3 points; none were fire TB.

Feb 7, 2008, 12:11 PM

Hunter61: I'm not sure what makes you say that I "can't seem to get excited about what happened today." I am really excited about this recruiting class. I was really excited about our previous years' recruiting classes too.

I didn't call for Bowden to be fired. I was simply making some observations backed by data, and pointing out a recruiting article that I thought people might find interesting.

If you have some well reasoned counterpoints, I'd be interested to hear them. But I don't think it's appropriate (nor very Christian) for you to pretend to know how I feel and then insult me for feelings that I don't even have. Is this the way you communicate with your family, coworkers, etc? Or do you just feel that it's OK to behave this way on TigerNet?

Re: C'mon Razz, don't be so sensitive...

Feb 7, 2008, 1:33 PM

We have arguably the best recruiting class in Clemson history, and you immediately begin banging the Bowden bashing drum pointing out how he under performs with better talent. I gotcha... Bowden's mediocre, blah, blah, blah... You've been banging this drum for as long as I've actively read articles & posts on this site, and it is no secret that you want CTB gone. Just look at your post history.

Also, instead of being pumped about getting 7 of the top 12 in state recruits (and demolishing our in state rival in this category as well), you choose to point out the fact that AJ Green went to UGA - geez.

My point was to call you out for bringing in negativity on an otherwise extremely positive day for Clemson. I do not see any insult in my response to you. I simply pointed out that even on a day as successful as signing day, you were still negative. I guess I was foolish to think that for 1 day, just 1 day, we could all just be excited and feel positive about our program.

And really, the "nor very Christian" comment is tacky and not necessary, especially when I launched no insult.

Bottom line: I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy. You're a "glass half empty" kind of person.

I was getting in touch with my feminine side...

Feb 7, 2008, 11:38 PM

Hunter61: On signing day, I was glued to ESPN and the recruiting web sites, and I'm really excited about this recruiting class-- which is a great follow-up to last year's solid class. I was thinking, "Wow, maybe we can finally beat the teams that have been keeping us out of the ACC title for the last few year (VT, BC, & WF)." So I started researching how our recruiting classes stacked up against those teams' over the last few years. And I learned that we already have been out-recruiting those teams. I thought people might be interested in that counter-intuitive observation. I hope my rather obvious conclusion about coaching talent didn't ruin anyone's day. I did say that I'm hopeful. And you have no idea how ridiculously optimistic I am year after year.

My point about AJ Green was not that the coaching staff screwed up by letting him get away. My point was that Clemson can let a few in-state stars get away and STILL be able to land championship-caliber recruiting classes--even though Clemson is located in the supposedly talent-poor, rural state of SC. I hoped to raise expectations, not depress them.

You wrote, "Funny thing is that you just can't seem to get excited about what happened today. It's just sad." Maybe I drew an incorrect inference, but I don't see a difference between "It's just sad," and "You're just sad." So I found it insulting. You say that you meant no insult, so I'll take you at your word.

Re: Razz, I have to admit...

Feb 8, 2008, 12:01 AM

I re-read your original post, and I definitely think I misread the part about AJ Green. I originally took it as a slap, but I now see what you were saying. We kicked butt in spite of losing AJ Green - I'm with you, my bad.

I'm excited about this class too, and I'm also ridiculously optimistic. And, my expectation for 08 is an ACC Championship, BCS bowl, & hopeful win.

I guess that I was so pumped about our signings that I wasn't expecting to see any negativity about our program, and then I read your post.

You and I have exchanged on this forum before, and I think you would agree that I have never tried to insult you before. We've had honest debate, but it has never gone into the sarcastic, insulting realm. I enjoy hearing your side of things, the stats you bring, and the arguments you make. Bottom line, I think it makes us think about things, and I like that.

Yesterday, I wanted all positive, 'cause, Razz, it was.

And I enjoy your posts. Peace my friend. Go Tigers!!!***

Feb 8, 2008, 6:02 PM

Correction: ACC is #3, not #2.***

Feb 7, 2008, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Signing Day 2008 ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Feb 6, 2008, 8:28 PM

I'm not ashamed to say, I'm a bit "excited" right now reading our signee chart....
I can't wait--2008!!!
Go Bowers, whoops, I mean, Tigers!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If I could explain why I love Clemson, you wouldn't understand." --RockerGirl

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic