Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Homesick post is SRS
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 418

Homesick post is SRS

Aug 15, 2014, 12:14 PM

The post on moving made me think. I graduated from Clemson in 2001. I've moved 5 times since then:

SC to DE (single)
DE to NJ (married)
NJ to PA (married, but barely after Jersey)
PA to VA (2 kids)
VA to PA (3 kids, in process)

I grew up on a tobacco farm in SC but after Clemson I got a solid job with my company and have been fortunate to do well with them and they have given me opportunities to progress in my career. Most of the promotional opportunities have required a move. And there is no way I could have progressed in salary of course but also enjoyment in my job. I do nothing related to engineering but I have lived every job more than the last.

For me, it has absolutely been worth it. It's a question of short term vs long term. Yes it's nice to be close to family and your home community NOW, but for me, my view was on the long term, changing my family tree. I grew up poor. We are not wealthy now by any means but financially we are comfortable enough to not worry about the basics, my wife can stay at home with the kids and follow her heart, and we've been able to establish our own family identity. None of this would be possible if we hadn't been geographically flexible. In fact my company shut down the plant I started working at and it has since burned to the ground, so I'd probably be unemployed or at least would have been forced into a different local job.

But there have been trade offs. We only get to 1 or 2 Clemson games a year, and it's tough sometimes on the grandparents, but they see the opportunities I've been given and understand that this isn't just about them. My kids are learning to make friends quickly and also to maintain long distance friendships. We've only really lived on the East Coast, but we've found joy in every place we've lived, even NJ! The world is getting smaller.

It's a personal and family decision, but for us, zero regrets on the moves. Now you know the real reason behind my user name.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does your stay-at-home wife have a MommyLife sticker on her

Aug 15, 2014, 12:16 PM

mini-van? Does she pose in her underwear for pics that you share on TNET?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wonder if his wife is single.***

Aug 15, 2014, 12:20 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could be soon if he keeps burning plants down.***

Aug 15, 2014, 12:21 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wonder if his wife is single.***

Aug 15, 2014, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Wonder if his wife is single.*** ]

She will be if I catch her posting newds on TNET!

No

Aug 15, 2014, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Does your stay-at-home wife have a MommyLife sticker on her ]

And Hell No

Recently found out that my Dad, God rest his soul,

Aug 15, 2014, 12:18 PM

was the first person in my family to live outside SC since 1752 when they got off the boat in Chuckston.

He lived in FL for two years while I was in God's country.

Message was edited by: Beegshot® - big G

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of my family hasn't left Western York County or Eastern

Aug 15, 2014, 12:20 PM

Cherokee County. We are white trash.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Aug 15, 2014, 2:04 PM

As a representative of the Royal family of York County, we don't view the serfs as trash. We prefer 'refuse'.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't vote for you.

Aug 15, 2014, 2:14 PM

Doesn't matter.

Aug 15, 2014, 2:14 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, this was sort of what I wanted when I made the post.

Aug 15, 2014, 12:23 PM

But I still love you, Lunge. No ####.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, this was sort of what I wanted when I made the post.

Aug 15, 2014, 12:40 PM

Not even a little bit?????

Of all my first cousins on my Dad's side,

Aug 15, 2014, 1:11 PM

I'm the only one who lives more than 5 miles away from their parents house.

Worst part about this is, I don't trust any of them with the family land that is left. I say my next move will be close enough to visit my dad once a week or so far away that I really, really have to plan coming home.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Of all my first cousins on my Dad's side,

Aug 15, 2014, 1:28 PM

We're just starting now to plan for aging parent care. My sister lives nearby and is a nurse so that's a huge help. And we really have no land or family assets to worry about. The blessing of being poor I guess.

My dad found a woman who's content not getting

Aug 15, 2014, 1:32 PM

married and 15-20 years younger than he is. She also became my Grandmothers caretaker when she needed full time care. I've got piece of mind in the day to day operations. Being far away and working so much, I miss out on things like fishing trips and watching football games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish my family was closer

Aug 15, 2014, 1:36 PM

And I wish where my nuclear family lived was closer to my other family. Those of you who live within easy driving distance have it pretty good, as I've never lived within 8 hours from extended family.

The world may be "getting smaller" because of technology, but nothing can replace real human contact, putting down roots, and having a history in an area.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think there is something to the "grass is always greener"

Aug 15, 2014, 1:43 PM

saying.

I've lived a 10-15 minute drive from my very large family my entire life.

In so many ways, it's awesome. Free babysitting, easy to contact, etc.

In other ways, though, you sort (or at least I do) sort of wonder about your own identity. Hard to explain, but I think there is a degree of truth in the notion that you don't know who you are until you've gone out and been totally on your own.

I have a career, I'm married, and I have three kids, but I still feel there is more to be done.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in the same house as my parents while I build next

Aug 15, 2014, 2:13 PM

door and FREE BABYSITTING is a foreign concept to me. They may watch them for an hour while I go to the grocery store (once) but that is IT. And I had to pick up enough groceries for them that I could have just paid a hot 19 year old girl to watch them...and gotten something for the spankbank.

Living that close sounds like it could be annoying

Aug 15, 2014, 2:52 PM [ in reply to I think there is something to the "grass is always greener" ]

But I'd at least like to have had family close enough where I can see them when I want to, or close enough so that it's not a burden just to see them on the holidays.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 418
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic