Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jerry Palm predicts 5 SEC teams in top 10 for initial
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

Jerry Palm predicts 5 SEC teams in top 10 for initial

Oct 30, 2018, 10:46 AM

rankings. This makes me want to hurl, Kentucky and Florida are crap. Anyone unbiased could see that Florida laid down for UGA, they were pathetic. Felipe Franks is bad..

This is the media bias that really irks me.. what are you guys' thoughts?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-rankings-prediction-lsu-gets-fourth-spot-sec-takes-half-of-top-10/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jerry Palm predicts 5 SEC teams in top 10 for initial

Oct 30, 2018, 10:48 AM

This is a joke Boston College is ranked. And they have looked really good.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2018, 11:19 AM

Going to be interesting how they treat OSU who has beaten only 1 ranked team who was barely able to outlast App Astarte who was just blown out by Georgia Southern (7-1) I might add. Would be nice seeing them ranked.

Oct 30, 2018, 11:21 AM

Penn state is the team that almost lost to App State not Ohio state

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2018, 11:29 AM

I think that's what he's saying in a roundabout way.

I think Georgia (state) should be ranked too, if App state deserved to be ranked GSU absolutely whipped them.

Oct 30, 2018, 1:33 PM

It wasn’t GA state!!!! It was GA Military!!

BC has looked really good? That's news to me

Oct 30, 2018, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Jerry Palm predicts 5 SEC teams in top 10 for initial ]

They've been fine, but i wouldn't take it further than that. The win over Miami this weekend was, by far, their best performance of the season. They blew out Umass and Holy Cross. That's great, but those teams are both awful. They beat Wake by 7, Temple by 10, and Louisville by 18. They got housed by Purdue and they lost to State. That sounds like a top 30-40 team to me, not top 25. Lo and behold they are ranked 38th in S&P+ right now.

The BC game is scary because of the potential for us to get into one of those weird games where we don't bring our A game (or even B game), but we are about 20 points better than BC on an neutral field this year.

Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play

Oct 30, 2018, 10:48 AM

each other in the SEC, but for now how can you say any of those teams don't deserve that ranking? Who would you put above them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

The only one I'd move in the top 10

Oct 30, 2018, 10:53 AM

is I'd bump Florida down and put tOSU at 10.

Florida has had a better than expected year but losing at home to Kentucky and then getting pummeled by UGA should leave them out of the top 10 IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: The only one I'd move in the top 10

Oct 30, 2018, 10:54 AM

^^ anybody but Florida. They are about like Miami IMO. Not a quality team

Oct 30, 2018, 11:21 AM

I think they are a very good team, but their QB is so bad he gets their Defense worn out late in games. To be honest, if you put that Locke kid from Misssou on Florida they would have the East locked down already. Florida only game plan is run scarlett, play defense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2018, 1:56 PM

I agree completely with that Franks is so bad he makes Jake Bentley look like an NFL prospect. I think the Florida defense has about as much talent (and definitely more on the back end) than ours. Play great on defense but once Franks hits the field u can see the whole team lose hope

Re: Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play

Oct 30, 2018, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play ]

That's the argument to keep the SEC in the polls. Its a mediocre conference that never plays OOC games. Thanks to their fanbase, they have a lot of $$$ and can literally buy their way into anything via their media ties.

ESPN and its subsidiaries are financially obligated to pump the SEC. This inflates the rankings. Its pretty obvious none of those teams outside of Alabama and LSU deserve those top 10 rankings, but when you own the media, only play each other, and never play OOC games, you can engineer the narrative that "the SEC is sooo good, look who they play every week! Other SEC teams!" Well, when you have the $$$ invested in the media to hype those other mediocre teams, you can craft the illusion that they are "good". After a while, when they are challenged, the narrative responds with "Well okay then, who else would we put in the top 10 if not for the SEC?"

Ah, well, plenty of teams actually. In fact, last year with UCF PROVED that there are plenty of other capable teams that deserve to be ranked up there. What did the narrative do when their defense and media farce was busted? They pretended like UCF didnt exist and STILL put Alabama in the playoff knowing the Tide had no business being there. This was confirmed when the NCAA retroactively named UCF the 2017 National Champions back in August, the first time in NCAA history the organization has ever recognized a season champion. But it wasn't heavily reported, wanna know why? Because the big names in sports media are contractually obligated to only promote that which is the best for the SEC.

There are 2 steps to stopping this circus: set a new standard in the playoff by making sure OOC strength of schedule matters, and WIN. Challenge the SEC to do what Clemson does ad play OOC, then beat them when they do. No, not "neutral sites located in Atlanta, Birmingham, and Baton Rouge", I mean true home-and-home series. Then, beat those SEC teams. Kill their success on the field, you kill their TV ratings. Killing their TV ratings means you demonetize their media machine. Do that enough, and the farce will crumble very, very quickly.

It already happened in 2014-2016, its possible to keep it going.

Oct 30, 2018, 12:09 PM

You make several good points, but I don't think UCF should have been in over Bama last year. Sure Bama didn't win their conference, but it's hard to argue that an 11-1 Bama was better than 12-0 UCF at the time. Bama went on to prove they belonged by beating us badly and then beating UGA for the title.

Oct 30, 2018, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play ]

From 2010 to 2017, UGA has played 6 regular season, out of conference ranked teams, Bama 6, and LSU 4. I'm not going to bother looking up the numbers for every SEC team. For comparison, Clemson has played 7. That hardly seems like SEC teams "never" play those kinds of games.

As for UCF, do you really think they should have been in the playoff over Alabama?

Oct 30, 2018, 1:22 PM

Out of conference, yes, away no. Bama last played a true road ooc in 2003.

Oct 30, 2018, 1:35 PM

Please do not use facts to argue with a clueless dog.

Oct 30, 2018, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play ]

Please do not use facts to argue with a clueless dog.

Oct 30, 2018, 1:40 PM

My response was full of facts. The response to my response changed the subject to road out of conference games. When you sober up feel free to contribute to the discussion.

Oct 30, 2018, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play ]

Michigan and FSU in the Georgia Dome is an "OOC away game"? Total BS dude.

Alabama hasn't played a true road game since 2003.

I will actually give UGA a little credit here because they

Oct 30, 2018, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play ]

don't do it, but what most SEC schools do is refuse to play many (or any in the case of Bama and Florida) true road OOC games.

"Its a mediocre conference that never plays OOC games."

Oct 30, 2018, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play ]

This is just a flat out false statement. Not only do they play OOC games, but they play quite well in them.

In 8 P5 OOC games, they have a 6-2 record. Mizzou, a middle of the road SEC team, beat Purdue who just knocked of tOSU. Ole Miss, a middle of the road SEC team, beat Texas Tech who is still competing for a Big12 title. Auburn, a middle of the road SEC team, beat Washington who still have Pac12 North hopes. LSU, a good SEC team, beat Miami who is still in it for the ACC Coastal. Mississippi State, a middle of the road SEC team, beat Kansas State a bad Big12 team.

What more do you want? I'm sure if Tennessee, a bad SEC team, beat West Virginia you'd still be singing the same tune.

P5 OOC records by conference:
ACC - 9GP - 3 wins
B1G - 12GP - 7 wins
Big12 - 10GP - 4 wins
PAC - 7GP - 3 wins
SEC - 8GP - 6 wins

Re: "Its a mediocre conference that never plays OOC games."

Oct 30, 2018, 5:59 PM

tokillagamecock® any reason you skipped over my message in your replies?

Playing games with words, but too blatant to work.

Oct 30, 2018, 10:11 PM [ in reply to "Its a mediocre conference that never plays OOC games." ]

"Mizzou, a middle of the road SEC team, beat Purdue who knocked off OSU."

Yes, pretend Purdue isn't a middle of the road B10 team (at best, more likely bottom third), so you can suck the SEC's #### some more.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2018, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play ]

Also, it's a bit delusional to say that the SEC is a mediocre conference. If they are mediocre then what does that say about the other conferences? There have been a couple years where the SEC wasn't the top conference, and it usually isn't as far above the other conferences from top to bottom. But over the past couple decades there's zero doubt that the SEC has been the clear top conference. Without Bama it would be much closer, but there are usually 2-4 SEC teams that are legitimate top 10 teams most years.

Oct 30, 2018, 2:00 PM

Not even close to true.

When the media runs a 24/7 SEC circlejerk and automatically ranks SEC teams above everyone else, of course they create the illusion they are better.

Its an echo chamber, they arent.

Oct 30, 2018, 2:20 PM

I have to disagree. You're right that they aren't head and shoulders above the other conferences every year like many of the pundits make them out to be, but I just don't know what other conference you could objectively say has been better overall over the past 10 years.

The SEC is legit good this year. They were down for 2-3

Oct 30, 2018, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play ]

years, but you can't really make that argument this year.

FBS conferences, ranked by average S&P+ rating:

SEC (plus-9.2 adjusted points per game, down 0.5 points)
Big 12 (plus-5.2, down 0.5)
Big Ten (plus-5.2, same)
ACC (plus-3.6, down 0.3)
Pac-12 (plus-3.6, down 0.2)

The average SEC team is 4 points better than the average team from any other conference, and 6.6 points better than the average ACC team. This hasn't been a good year for the ACC.

Re: The SEC is legit good this year. They were down for 2-3

Oct 30, 2018, 4:45 PM

In terms of this year, yes the SEC is better.

Extrapolate that data starting from 2013, comparative with more extensive conference data like rival wins, bowl games, championships, players drafted, awards, etc. and you will see the ACC leads the pack over the last 5 years with the Big 10 a close second, and the SEC 3rd.

The ONLY reason the "SEC supremacy" image is still around is due to Alabama's success. Remove Alabama from the picture, and the SEC comes up as the bottom feeder since 2012 until now.

The SEC persists due to the BCS era and the corruption between the bowls and media arrangements, not because they are organically better. There i$ a certain component among the $EC that helped the $EC find great $ucce$$ during the BC$ era, though I just cant quite put my finger on what is wa$...

Also, read "Death to the BCS" and the vast financial corruption that went on. Also, read the article from SB Nation about "The Bagman", where a confidant from within the SEC who comes forward as a bagman for "a prominent SEC school" talks about the ways that conference exploited current NCAA rules and the politics of the BCS to become "the top conference."

Is the SEC good? Yes. Are they a super conference with NFL caliber teams that dominates college football? No. In reality, the SEC gets its success from a few lucky bounces on the field and 1 or 2 teams that put the entire conference on their shoulders. In reality, there is a significant amount of parity between the power 5 and definitively saying one conference is "better" is a measure of centimeters, not miles. But the money the SEC has at their disposal and their network within the media and the postseason authorities is what is keeping that "SEC Supremacy" image alive.

The fact that so many parrot this crap is just proof

Oct 30, 2018, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, looks about right to me. They're all about to play ]

that propaganda works and people are ####### sheep.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The fact that so many parrot this crap is just proof

Oct 31, 2018, 10:12 AM

true story

Oct 30, 2018, 10:51 AM

other than clemson, who in the ACC is better than Florida and LSU?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2018, 11:02 AM

I think LSU is a pretty good team but their offense seems to be regressing. I think other teams having more film on them is hurting their offense. Their QB is not dynamic at all. Their loss to Florida is a bad loss IMO.

I think Syracuse is better than Florida. Their QB play is much better. They had an ugly loss to Pitt.. a lot of teams have had ugly losses to Pitt, I thought they had ND beat but blew it.

Syracuse is 20th. A 2 loss Florida team is 10th.. I think Cuse should at least be top 15 after beating NC state.

Oct 30, 2018, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Jerry Palm predicts 5 SEC teams in top 10 for initial ]

Boston College, Virginia, Syracuse and NC State...

SEC homers not welcome

Oct 30, 2018, 12:11 PM

You don't honestly believe all four of those teams are better than LSU do you? That seems utterly insane to me. It's possible that BC or Syracuse could beat Florida on a neutral field, but those would be toss-ups IMO.

Re: Jerry Palm predicts 5 SEC teams in top 10 for initial***

Oct 30, 2018, 1:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BC and Syracuse are probably better than Florida & KY.***

Oct 30, 2018, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Jerry Palm predicts 5 SEC teams in top 10 for initial ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2018, 11:06 AM

No worries at all when 4 of the 5 SEC teams play each other this week. It will all work itself out. My only concern is a close LSU win over Bama.

Totally agree with you, Florida with 2 losses should not be in the top ten ahead of 1 loss teams. UCF deserves to be in the top ten much more so than Florida.

Oct 30, 2018, 11:07 AM

what drives me crazy is they will rack up 3 losses and still be top 15 teams because... SEC

Oct 30, 2018, 11:14 AM

I know Jerry Palm is a CBS guy, but it will be very interesting to see what all the ESPN talking heads do and say next year when the ACC Network launches. Will they continue to downgrade the ACC, or will they have to start pumping up the ACC like they do with the SEC? They surely wouldn't want to hurt their investment.

Oct 30, 2018, 11:20 AM

this will be interesting to see. Like it or not ESPN has a lot of influence on the rankings.

Oct 30, 2018, 12:19 PM

I honestly wonder just how much influence ESPN really has in the committee rankings. Of course they influence the AP and Coaches' Polls, but those polls don't count.

In 2014, ESPN pundits were all over the place about who the 4th team deserved to be, and OSU got in.

In 2015, the top four teams were not controversial at all with Clem, Bama, Mich St and Oklahoma all clearly deserving to get in.

In 2016, there were several pundits calling for Penn State or USC to get in over Ohio State. Even though both teams had 2 losses to OSU's 1 loss, ESPN guys were saying that it was PSU and USC that were playing like the top teams in the country. OSU got in anyway.

Last year most ESPN guys thought the committee would have to pick OSU instead of picking two SEC teams. They went against that narrative and chose a 1 loss Bama who had played like a top 4 team. I disagree that a 2 loss OSU with a blowout and UCF at 12-0 deserved the 4th spot given their much weaker SOS.

The committee has done a pretty darn good job of getting it right. The only year I think an argument could be made that they weren't easily 100 percent right was 2014 when OSU, Baylor and TCU all looked equally deserving.

they definitely don't have as much influence on the committe

Oct 30, 2018, 12:36 PM

Thankfully. The committee has done an outstanding job so far IMO.

Re: they definitely don't have as much influence on the committe

Oct 30, 2018, 12:48 PM

Yeah, I had serious doubts about how good of a job the committee would do before 2014, but they have proven to be fair and impartial IMO. I was worried that we wouldn't get respect because we're in the ACC, but the success we've had on the field after 2014 has prevented that from being an issue.

The one thing I really don't like is how they changed their ranking so much after championship weekend in 2014. I don't necessarily mind the four teams they put in (OSU proved they belonged by winning the championship), but dropping TCU from 3 to 6 after a 52 point win doesn't seem right. If TCU was ranked 5 or 6 before that game then that's fair, but dropping them after a huge win seemed like they were doing it to avoid the controversy if they picked TCU instead of Baylor who had a head to head win.

Oct 30, 2018, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Jerry Palm predicts 5 SEC teams in top 10 for initial ]

Who cares what he thinks?

the brainless sheeple that vote in the AP poll***

Oct 30, 2018, 11:30 AM

Oct 30, 2018, 12:03 PM

Only one I really have a problem with in the top 10 is Florida. I would move Kentucky down few spots to the 10-12 range, but it doesn't bother me all that much that they're in the top 10. I don't think they will stay there due to their anemic offense, but basing it off of their strength of record up to this point I think it's fair.

The bigger question is who do you move into Florida's spot between potentially Ohio State, WVU and UCF. I would say WVU at least at this point.

Oct 30, 2018, 11:32 AM

Having Auburn in and not BC is the biggest case of SEC bias that I see.

Danny Kanell in opening video is great, talking about

Oct 30, 2018, 12:14 PM

Tigere' D being better than Bama's and why the 2 have separated themselves from the rest.

That's how ESPiN set it up.

Oct 30, 2018, 12:23 PM

They used the BCS system to promote their business partners, the SEC, for years. Folks tried to tell me that they would do the same thing with the playoff committee and they have. The first poll released by the Playoff Committee is always reflects the preseason polls. There is much I do not like about the rankings between #4 and #25 but so far the best team in the country comes out on top.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's how ESPiN set it up.

Oct 30, 2018, 12:28 PM

The biased pollsters always rank most SEC teams (except for the coots and Vandy) but by the end of the season, honesty prevails and only about half are ranked.

Oct 30, 2018, 12:57 PM [ in reply to That's how ESPiN set it up. ]

Was the SEC Network even in existence when the BCS was in effect? The BCS was heavily influenced by the computers which appeared to favor SEC teams higher than other teams. I'm not denying that some ESPN pundits have an SEC bias and some also a slight Big Ten bias, but it was the computer polls that usually gave the SEC teams the edge under the BCS.

Oct 30, 2018, 1:01 PM [ in reply to That's how ESPiN set it up. ]

The issue isn't the preseason polls. The committee goes by wins over teams with winning records. It's the fact that most SEC teams play weak OOC schedules that allows more teams to have winning records which in turn inflates the number of wins over opponents with winning records.

The effect of this is much more pronounced in the earlier rankings, but by the end of the year there are fewer SEC teams with winning records which in turn reduces their SOS criteria that the committee uses.

Oct 30, 2018, 1:29 PM

Doesn't irk me a bit. It will look different at end of the year. So what is your rock solid "unbiased" top 10. And please share your "unbiased" methodology. I'll hang up and listen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2018, 2:22 PM

well I don't have time to do a whole write up like Jerry Palm.. I have a long conference call coming up at 2:30.

I would tell you that from an unbiased position, Kentucky a consensus 1 dimensional team should not be in the top 10.

Also, a Florida team with 2 losses should not be in the top 10 this early in the season, maybe give them a chance to move back in if they keep winning.

LSU and Georgia are top 10 teams but nothing more. UGA has a suspect defense, while LSU has an inconsistent offense. They could lose on any given day against a decent opponent.

Miss St is much better than UGA on defense.

Oct 30, 2018, 6:21 PM

So what is your top 10?

Also, I tend to post in TigerNet during my calls but that is less and less now that they are "encouraging" use if WebEx.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ok, here you go. baby huey's top 16

Oct 30, 2018, 6:48 PM

As good as synan say? I dunno I don't have an article to accompany my rankings.

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. LSU
5. UCF
6 Michigan
7. Oklahoma
8. UGA
9. Washington St.
10. Ohio state
11. Kentucky
12. West Virginia
13. Syracuse
14. Penn St.
15. Texas
16. Florida

Re: ok, here you go. baby huey's top 16

Oct 30, 2018, 9:15 PM

Bump for @ninetytwotiger

LOL...Florida at No. 10...lol***

Oct 30, 2018, 2:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Florida is the quintessential SEC team from a decade ago.

Oct 30, 2018, 2:53 PM

Good defense, but really mediocre (or worse) offense. Since the SEC was filled with those type teams, when they got together and the score was 10-7, it HAD to be a Clash of the Titans, not just a meeting of mediocre teams. The ESPNs of the world are steadily building that myth back up this season. When any of those teams run into a good offense, they will get hammered. (As I expect Bama to hammer LSU this weekend.) SEC is still Bama and everyone else, just as the ACC is now Clemson and everyone else. That is why we must have Bama / Clemson IV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic