Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney loves idea of possible redshirt changes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney loves idea of possible redshirt changes

May 17, 2017, 7:01 AM

Swinney loves idea of possible redshirt changes

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be great.*****

May 17, 2017, 7:14 AM

Impact to College Football

May 17, 2017, 9:58 AM

What if this rule was proposed 10 years ago, what would be your thoughts? We are in a totally different spectrum now, which is AWESOME. But this change would benefit the haves and not the have nots from a depth perspective. I think some teams would play a couple redshirted players and Clemson for instance might play more than half or all of the redshirts to keep them engaged, hungry and in turn possibly reduce the number of transfers both short and long term. Wish we could keep Dabo forever, but Father Time is always ticking. Mixed thoughts on this one. I would like to get a respected Mid Major Coach's opinion/thoughts on this topic.

I've heard that another reason this is being discussed is

May 17, 2017, 8:02 AM

because everyone expects more potential high draft picks to sit out bowl games in the future. This new rule would allow true FR to play in the bowls to fill those spots and give fans something interesting to at least partially compensate for star players being absent.

Re: I've heard that another reason this is being discussed is

May 17, 2017, 9:10 AM

That makes sense because we all know the motive it not player welfare.

Man i hope a Clemson players never decides to skip out on a bowl game

May 17, 2017, 9:48 AM [ in reply to I've heard that another reason this is being discussed is ]

Because of a potential high draft pick. If its a meaningless bowl game like the Birmingham bowl then maybe but if a Clemson player decided to skip out on playoff game or NY6 game, i would be very upset & i don't think that will sit well with dabo.

I had rather a player be honest and sit out a bowl game

May 17, 2017, 11:41 AM

because of possible injury than play timidly not to get hurt. That affects the team more.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've heard that another reason this is being discussed is

May 17, 2017, 2:28 PM [ in reply to I've heard that another reason this is being discussed is ]

Only 2 1st round picks that i know of sat out the bowl games and both had been out for injuries multiple games during season... likely neither had totally healed at end of season...

Yeah, Fournette and McCaffery had both missed games and

May 17, 2017, 2:55 PM

battled through injuries last year. I think both had pretty legitimate reasons not to play in their bowls games. That said, now that they've set this precedent, more and more players are likely to do it going forward.

I think the stature of the bowl game does make a difference. Most guys are going to want to play in the NY6 games. But look no further than Jake Butt last year in the Orange Bowl though to see the risk these guys are taking.

"ESPN's Darren Rovell tweeted that the loss of value policy was paying him more as he fell and ended up at $543,000. But he added later that Butt likely lost $2.8 million due to his fall in draft slot following the injury."

And now he has to try to stick in the NFL after rehabbing a shredded knee. I'm sure the Broncos will be more patient with him than the average 5th round pick, but it's still possible that this could shorten his career.

Re: Yeah, Fournette and McCaffery had both missed games and

May 17, 2017, 5:02 PM

A player could be injured preparing for the combine as well. I think the vast majority of players will continue to play in bowl games because it is fun and it gives them a showcase where they are the only game on TV in that time slot.

Fournette and McCaffrey were both well known and both were in the Heisman conversation at some points in their College career. Most players are still trying to get name recognition. Name recognition for most of them will pay more over the 4 years after college than the NFL will.

Lattimore is on TV everyday here in Columbia and he never played a down in the NFL, I think. I think he is coaching HS. I think he likely is making more money from the commercials than coaching HS.

I wonder if this is "any" part of 4 games or

May 17, 2017, 10:00 AM

16 quarters spread out across the season ?

Re: I wonder if this is "any" part of 4 games or

May 17, 2017, 1:49 PM

I think it would be safe to assume 1 snap in a game = a game, thus throw the quarter question out the window.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WNCTiger11

Re: FB Update: Swinney loves idea of possible redshirt changes

May 17, 2017, 12:40 PM

Had to be pushed from the coaches thru the ADs. It's a good move for sure, good for the players, coaches and fans.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love this idea. Comparable to MLB allowing the rosters

May 17, 2017, 1:43 PM

to expand at the end of the season. Allows a look at young talent under real conditions so coaches and players know what the areas of needed improvement are. Makes sense, so probably won't happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic