Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm at work and bored, just asking ... What's your favorite
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

I'm at work and bored, just asking ... What's your favorite

Apr 9, 2013, 12:08 PM

Grateful Dead song, or do you not listen to the Dead? Mine is Estimated Prophet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm at work and bored, just asking ... What's your favorite

Apr 9, 2013, 12:11 PM

Truckin.

Oh and a music fact I just learned. I am a pedal steel guitar fan. I love to hear it played well.

I always like the pedal steel playing on "Teach Your Children" by CSNY. I just discovered Jerry Garcia played that part on the record.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, evidently Garcia wasn't a fan of the steel guitar but

Apr 9, 2013, 12:14 PM

but he played it on occasions. I think he also plays it on American Beauty (Box of Rain or Ripple?).

Apr 9, 2013, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm at work and bored, just asking ... What's your favorite ]

Wednesday 10 January 2007

Peter E. Kleinow, steel guitarist and special effects artist: born South Bend, Indiana 20 August 1934; married (three sons, two daughters); died Petaluma, California 6 January 2007.

Only a handful of steel guitarists have made their influence felt beyond country music and Sneaky Pete Kleinow was one of them. He is noted for his work with the Flying Burrito Brothers but scores of country-rock records featured his playing. More often than not, the steel guitar is used for melancholy, reflective songs, but Kleinow saw its possibilities as a rock instrument and would ensure that it was strongly amplified. As a result, he was described as "the Jimi Hendrix of the steel guitar".

Kleinow was born in South Bend, Indiana, in 1934. He became intrigued by the steel guitar, particularly the Hawaiian stylings of Jerry Byrd, and he took up the instrument when he was 17. He worked repairing roads, but he would play in club bands of a night. One band decided that everyone should have nicknames and, for Kleinow, "Sneaky" stuck.

In 1960, he moved to Los Angeles and wrote jingles, as well as developing special effects for the film The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962) and the cult TV show The Outer Limits.

His first date as a session musician was on the Ventures' "Blue Star" in 1965. He played in clubs around Los Angeles and, early in 1968, Chris Hillman and Gram Parsons told him of their plans to relaunch the rock band the Byrds in a country music setting. Kleinow played a few exploratory shows with them, but the Byrds' leader, Roger McGuinn, would not agree to a permanent position for a pedal steel guitarist and the band, at best a shaky alliance, fell apart. McGuinn found new members, while Hillman and Parsons formed a new band to encompass country, rock, gospel and soul, the Flying Burrito Brothers. McGuinn said subsequently:

They wanted to fire me and get Sneaky Pete in my place. In essence, they did this by getting the Flying Burrito Brothers together.

Parsons encouraged the band to wear outlandish rhinestone suits from Nudie's Rodeo Tailors and the cover of their first album, The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969), is iconic. The band is shown with some very attractive girls, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Male fans looked at the cover and wanted to be there.

The Flying Burrito Brothers opened for the Rolling Stones at Altamont in December 1969 and can be seen in the concert film Gimme Shelter. Keith Richards asked Kleinow to add a steel guitar to their recording of "Wild Horses"; and Parsons obtained permission for the Flying Burrito Brothers to record the song as well. Kleinow played on two more albums by the group, Burrito De Luxe (1970) and The Flying Burrito Brothers (1971).

He had done session work with Joe Cocker (Joe Cocker, 1969) and Delaney and Bonnie (To Bonnie from Delaney, 1970) and was to work on Little Feat albums including Sailin' Shoes (1972); he also added steel guitar to records by Frank Zappa (Waka/Jawaka, 1972), the Bee Gees (Life in a Tin Can, 1973), John Lennon (Mind Games, 1973) and Fleetwood Mac (Heroes are Hard to Find, 1974).

In 1974 Kleinow was part of a new band, Cold Steel, and then a reconstituted Flying Burrito Brothers, but this was a dispiriting affair. His first solo album, Sneaky Pete, was released in 1978 and The Legend and the Legacy followed in 1994. He returned to special effects and created the dinosaurs for the comic film Caveman (1981), starring Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach. He worked on The Empire Strikes Back (1980), The Right Stuff (1982), Terminator (1984) and Under Siege (1992). He won an Emmy award in 1983 for his special effects on the television miniseries The Winds of War.

In recent years, he had joined Garth Hudson of the Band in Burrito Deluxe, who released Georgia Peach (2002) and The Whole Enchilada (2004).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two words on pedal steel guitar --- Rusty Young. Period.******

Apr 9, 2013, 7:29 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm at work and bored, just asking ... What's your favorite ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2013, 12:23 PM

Friend of the Devil

awesome song.

Apr 9, 2013, 12:44 PM

fire on the mountain, if i have to pick only one.

i got to see them a number of times.

jerry jamming with sting one beautiful afternoon in rfk was just one of the highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcibgui2-kU

walking on the moon... crazy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with Anthony Bourdain on this one

Apr 9, 2013, 12:45 PM

"The Grateful Dead were not a positive force in music." - Anthony Bourdain, "The Layover: New Orleans"

I get the whole community of oneness/hippie tailgating live show part, but their studio work bores me to death.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm with Anthony Bourdain on this one

Apr 9, 2013, 1:04 PM

You're at work and can't find anything productive to do? Interesting....very interesting.

Dude, I'll be here until 10 p.m.

Apr 9, 2013, 2:05 PM

I think I'm putting in my day's worth.

Brown-eyed women & Waiting On A Miracle

Apr 9, 2013, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm with Anthony Bourdain on this one ]

Good stuff

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: I'm with Anthony Bourdain on this one

Apr 9, 2013, 3:33 PM [ in reply to I'm with Anthony Bourdain on this one ]

"Anthony Bourdain is a pompous twit, and his bouillabaisse tastes like spam." - Jerry Garcia

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Re: I'm at work and bored, just asking ... What's your favorite***

Apr 9, 2013, 1:07 PM

throwing stones

Apr 9, 2013, 1:10 PM

check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9tE9nOCc9A

On this note

Apr 9, 2013, 1:10 PM

WSP playing 2 nights at the Fillmore and 2 nights in Alpharetta for those looking to catch a bad a$$ show

I like Stoneground Days***

Apr 9, 2013, 1:25 PM

Dire Wolf, live version, or Shakedown Street***

Apr 9, 2013, 2:24 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yea, evidently Garcia wasn't a fan of the steel guitar but

Apr 9, 2013, 2:25 PM

Its very possible I'm wrong but I thought Jerry's involvement with NRPS was because of his desire to play steel and it didn't fit well with dead stuff

Re: Re: Yea, evidently Garcia wasn't a fan of the steel guitar but

Apr 9, 2013, 2:30 PM

Also to answer the question, I'd say Mexicali blues or ripple

"box of rain".***

Apr 9, 2013, 2:30 PM

Bertha... Eyes of the world***

Apr 9, 2013, 3:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Friend of the Devil, of course!***

Apr 9, 2013, 3:21 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dark Hollow ***

Apr 9, 2013, 3:38 PM

nm

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic