Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Y'all have to be getting tired of hearing speculation...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Y'all have to be getting tired of hearing speculation...

Apr 23, 2020, 9:15 AM

.... that Simmons is going to drop in the draft tonight. Listening to national talk radio I hear a bunch of speculation. First of all I ain't buying it. I think it is just folks talking trying to be controversial.

But, here is what I'm hearing: Teams are gonna start drafting OL and DL after the two guys from Ohio State go 2 and 3. Giants will pick an OL. 5 and 6 will pick Herbert and Tua, or will trade out to people who want OL and DL. I heard one guy (don't remember which one) say Simmons will fall out of the top 10.

Using my strongest Dabo language, "Balderdash!"

NFL football is all about scheming on offense to get a mismatch. Get a running back isolated on a LB. Get a safety isolated on a speedy WR. Get a small corner matched up against a TE. Etc.

Well, Simmons nullifies that. You can't scheme to get a mismatch with him. He presents the mismatch problem for the offense. Team lines up in a 3-3-5 (with James one of the 5). He can stay in coverage. He can walk up to LB essentially making it a 3-4. He can even walk up to the line as an edge rusher and make it a 4-3. He can line up as the edge rusher and if a RB goes in motion, he can follow him into pass coverage.

The NFL was in love with Derwin James until he got injured. Simmons is a bigger, faster, stronger James.

Players may drop, they always do. But, Simmons is not going to be one of those players.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Y'all have to be getting tired of hearing speculation...

Apr 23, 2020, 9:19 AM

You watched that nonsense on that show Rich Eismen had on last night with some nerdy dude that would shudder if you said boo to him. There is NO WAY the Giants, Jets and Panthers are going to pass on Simmons. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't move up. Who in their right mind would take Tua over Simmons. SMDH.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2020, 9:24 AM

Yeah, that was one I watched. With this self-quarantining I'm watching more espn shows and listening to more talk radio than normal (mainly espn, but not all).

While I disagree with taking Young over Simmons, I understand why some would think that is the right move, there is NO WAY Simmons is not the best defensive athlete in the draft. And, as I pointed out, he is made for the NFL game today. Everybody is moving to flexibility. I heard one guy, who was high on Simmons call it "positionless football."

And, a great quote from Simmons. He was asked what position he played. He responded, "Defense."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2020, 9:49 AM

+1, and he can pretty much play anywhere except Nose Tackle, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2020, 9:47 AM

I agree that Simmons is too good a get to be left behind early. He can do all you say, and it's hard to scheme around that kind of guy. Whoever gets him, whenever they get him, will have gotten "the prize".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2020, 10:00 AM

The media's NFL draft "experts" and prognostors usually have no idea what they're talking about. In this case, that's the good news.

It's similar to recruiting. Nobody knows anything until the papers are signed and the kid steps on campus. Until then, it's ALL speculation.

I'm not an expert, but to me Simmons is about as close to a sure-thing as there is in this draft. There's a lot less liability and uncertainty surrounding his ability than the other guys listed ahead of him in mock drafts. Not to mention, his ceiling is high.

To me, NFL draft "experts" come off as a bunch of chatty Cathey's and gossiping women.

Good post.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2020, 10:04 AM

Deshaun Watson says hello do you guys remember passing on me? You drafted Mitch Trubitchy before me for crying out loud. Don't be stupid again GMs. Well at least he doesn't have to worry about Bill Obrien drafting him. We already know he is a moron and will definitely pass him up to get Kelly Bryant. Lmao!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simmons

Apr 23, 2020, 12:16 PM

Has been very, very durable as a defensive player who goes all out with every snap and I think his toughness will influence his selection. I can’t recall him missing very much time due to injuries while at Clemson. His toughness and football savvy will earn him a top pick and some top dollars. Can’t wait to see who the lucky team will be.

Draft has always been balancing need with Best Available

Apr 23, 2020, 10:10 AM

I'm disappointed when some of our guys go later than I think they should, but if a team thinks they need a WR or OL before they need a versatile LB, then that's on them and any agreements they may have made with coaches, staff, and players before that. I read an article on when the Raiders drafted Janikowski in the first round. They said they looked at games the prior season, and saw they could have won I think it was 4 more games if they'd just had a more reliable kicker, and that he was the player that could do the most for them with a single pick than any other first-rounder they saw. It was interesting stuff.

But if another LB gets picked before him, or even a DE other than Young, I will be surprised.

Clemson

Apr 23, 2020, 12:13 PM

I haven't really heard that speculation. No matter where he goes, I just hope the DC has an imagination. If you plug him at outside linebacker, and just leave him there, he'll be solid, but you'll probably be disappointed in him as a top 10 pick. If you get creative (like your example with James and the 3-3-5), he'll be a star.

I think he'll go #4 to the Giants, but I'm with you, I'd be a little surprised if he falls out of the top 10. Wouldn't even surprise me to see some team a little farther back want him and trade up into the 7/9/10 spot for him. He can be a game-changer as a mismatch for opposing offences if used correctly.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2020, 12:25 PM

Yes, I don't know how much present players can influence a team's choice for a draft pick, but you better believe Big Dex and Christian are in someone's ear about Simmons. I just don't see him getting past the Giants. And personally, I would want him before Young. Picking Burro or Tua is such a roll of the dice compared to players like Simmons and Young. We shall see. The good news is that we don't have too many more days of mock drafts to endure.

Apr 23, 2020, 12:32 PM

I hope he falls all the to the 2nd round and my Steelers are able to get him. He would be a legend in the steel city. I do know money wise that would be a big hit for him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic