Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yahoo news even saw this as a questionable hit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,077

Yahoo news even saw this as a questionable hit

Oct 15, 2016, 4:39 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/clemson-rb-wayne-gallman-leaves-game-after-hit-to-head-2-171616257.html

Sorry this happened but it's time we get some good press. Boulware was taking too much heat the last 2 weeks

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yahoo news even saw this as a questionable hit

Oct 15, 2016, 4:42 PM

#8 for state was headhunting all day. I saw at least 3 hits he delivered that could be considered targeting. It is hard to play clean and beat teams willing to do this stuff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2016, 4:42 PM

That's the tough thing about playing defense these days.

If Gallman doesn't duck his head it's a good clean tackle by by the defender.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I call BS on you, sir.

Oct 15, 2016, 4:46 PM

The defender catches Wayne with the back of his helmet. He was aiming even lower.

This was a very poor play defensively.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: I call BS on you, sir.

Oct 15, 2016, 4:58 PM

If gallman doesn't duck his head that defender hits him in the chest with his shoulder.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2016, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Yahoo news even saw this as a questionable hit ]

I don't know how , or why ...but I actually agree with 09 on it .

The shame .
Now , I felt like it was just a pure football play , the collision was violent and WG got the worst of it ...but I do not feel like it was an intent on the db to injure WG .

DB23

That was just football. Period.***

Oct 15, 2016, 7:03 PM

Oct 15, 2016, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Yahoo news even saw this as a questionable hit ]

How so? He came in head first, lead with the top of his helmet, and never had his arms up to make a tackle. He was targeting with the top of his helmet the whole way.

Oct 15, 2016, 5:20 PM

He went too low and sideways to be headhunting.

He was trying to put his shoulder into his stomach. Even if he had kept his face mask up I think would have been a helmet to helmet shot.

Oct 15, 2016, 6:30 PM

It doesn't matter if they are going sideways or aiming for the stomach. It doesn't matter if his hit grazed his shoulder pad. The rule says crown of helmet hits player in head or neck. That happened. Targeting should have been called.

Okay -- I'm actually pissed about this now.

Oct 15, 2016, 4:44 PM

I argued in a previous post, that I thought this was just a physical play and maybe just poor coaching.

But looking at this angle ... !!! Grrr.

Wayne saw him coming and braced for a hard tackle, but instead of keeping his head up and making a good hard play, the player turns himself into a missile and catches our running back in the side of the head with the BACK of his helmet.

That is NOT okay.

It was a dirty play among dirty plays

Oct 15, 2016, 4:47 PM

But more than that, it shows how valuable Gallman has become to our running game

It was a dangerous hit because he intentionally went

Oct 15, 2016, 4:47 PM

in with his helmet. I think he was trying to dislodge the ball with the crown of his helmet, but that's still not the way you should make a hit.

Not sure it's really a penalty, but it's definitely not a safe hit and could easily get the state player hurt too. If he ran into another defender pursuing from the backside like that..

By rule, I can't see how it isn't a penalty

Oct 15, 2016, 4:50 PM

It was contact to the head and neck area with the crown of the helmet.

It applies. It would've been a tough call insomuch as it didn't appear dirty (but actually a combination of poor tackling form and bad luck) but it certainly seemed to be, by rule, targeting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember - the rule isn't there because it was a dirty play.

Oct 15, 2016, 4:52 PM

It is there because it keeps the players safe.

It's a fact that it was not 'just a physical play'. It was unsafe for both Wayne and the defensive player.

No doubt. It was targeting by rule.

Oct 15, 2016, 4:53 PM

I've just heard folks call it dirty. I don't think it was dirty, but I do think it was dangerous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: By rule, I can't see how it isn't a penalty

Oct 15, 2016, 5:01 PM [ in reply to By rule, I can't see how it isn't a penalty ]

Yeah I'm surprised a flag wasn't thrown.

The only argument I could see is that the running back initiated the contact.

i think what bothers me the most about it

Oct 15, 2016, 5:03 PM

Is that most refs throw the flag and then review it, like Boulware last week during the BC game. They acted as if they didn't care.

I think there is precedent (maybe a few years back)

Oct 15, 2016, 6:59 PM

Where a penalty was reviewed after a game, declared to be worth ejection/suspended and then the player was suspended for the next game. Can't recall the details, but vaguely remember it.

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,077
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic