Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Cervenka ready for new legacy at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

New Story: Cervenka ready for new legacy at Clemson

Jun 2, 2015, 7:01 AM

Cervenka ready for new legacy at Clemson

Gage Cervenka has spent the last few months of his high school career earning honors and awards that cement his legacy as one of the top male athletes to come out of Greenwood (SC) Emerald, but the 2015 Clemson commit is ready to put his high school career in the past and begin a new legacy as a Tiger. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Cervenka ready for new legacy at Clemson

Jun 2, 2015, 7:30 AM

Sounds like he is a Tiger ready to go! Can't wait for this football season. Team Tiger!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2015, 8:20 AM

Don't know if we ever had a wrestler who was not a great FB player. I know that Jarrett was a great wrestler, and he really showed out as a FB player. Good luck to this young man. Nice to see such good focus on the linemen. That's been a long time coming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrestlers are great at understanding leverage

Jun 2, 2015, 9:01 AM

And on the LOS that's critical. Grady wasn't the biggest or strongest but he was unmovable because he knew how to lower his center of gravity and the OG couldn't get underneath him.

Re: Wrestlers are great at understanding leverage

Jun 2, 2015, 9:15 PM

My point, exactly! +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wrestlers are great at understanding leverage

Jun 2, 2015, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Wrestlers are great at understanding leverage ]

as a former wrestling all-american i'd love to echo that comment. football players ALWAYS get better at football when they cross-train w/ wrestling because they have never done anything as hard as high-level wrestling competition. period.

you talk about high motor guys, wrestling breeds that. yes leverage is a great advantage too. work ethic & discipline come second to none. not saying he'll be a first team all-american, im just saying we'll get his best he can do- cant ask for more than that from a kid!

WoW.. BiG, smart, fast, dedicated & a tough-arse to be TiGER!

Jun 2, 2015, 11:50 PM

GoTiGERS

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jarrett, Willard, Cervenka

Jun 2, 2015, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Cervenka ready for new legacy at Clemson ]

Did anyone else wrestle? I swear I'm missing one or two.

Re: Jarrett, Willard, Cervenka

Jun 2, 2015, 11:30 AM

Tracy Perry, NC state wrestling champ.

Re: Jarrett, Willard, Cervenka

Jun 2, 2015, 1:06 PM

Big Joe Bostic for sure. I'm not sure about "little brother" Jeff. I say that in quotes because it's hard to call the center of the Redskins Hogs little anything. This is from the NC Hall of Fame:

Joe Earl Bostic Jr. was born April 20, 1957, in Greensboro. He graduated from Ben L. Smith High School, where he starred in football, wrestling and track and field – in short, every sport in which he participated.

As a senior in 1975, he captured the state’s heavyweight wrestling championship. And in that spring’s state track and field meet, he placed fourth in the shot put. But it was his performance on the football field the previous fall – as well as the two falls before that – where his athletic excellence drew the most attention.

He was a stud offensive lineman (and a standout defensively as well), earning all-state honors and, following his senior season, invitations to play in both the N.C.-S.C. Shrine Bowl and the East-West All-Star Game.

Bostic had numerous college offers, and Clemson was the winner, benefitting from Joe’s talents and well as younger brother Jeff, who’d arrive a year later. The Bostics helped invigorate the Tigers’ program as Joe earned All-ACC honors in 1977 and 1978 and was named an All-America each season. Following his senior year, he was chosen to play in the Hula Bowl.

In April 1979, he was selected in the third round of the NFL draft by the St. Louis Cardinals. He went to play his entire 11-year pro career with the franchise, moving with the team when it relocated to Arizona in 1988. In 1986, he was the Cardinals’ nominee for the Miller/NFL Offensive Lineman of the Year.

After retiring from the NFL, Joe returned to Greensboro and earned his general contractor’s License. Along with Jeff, he founded Bostic Brothers Construction, Inc. that same year. The focus of their company was multi-family development and construction.

In 2003, under Joe’s leadership, Bostic Brothers Construction, Inc. became the second largest multi-family construction company in America. Within a 12-year period (1990-2002), Bostic Brothers Construction built approximately 20,000 multi-family units while producing in excess of $1 billion in economic development throughout the southeastern United States.

While building a thriving company, Joe Bostic was elected to the Guilford County Board of Commissioners in 1992. He was unanimously elected chairman of the Guilford County Board of Commissioners in 1997 and 1998. In 1995, he humbly received the very prestigious Ten Outstanding Young Americans (TOYA) Award from the U.S. Junior Chamber of Commerce.

Bostic has been inducted into several Halls of Fame, including the Clemson University Athletic Hall of Fame in 1996. That same year, he was selected as a member of the Clemson University All-Centennial Team. In 2002, he was honored as one of the top-50 players to the All-Time ACC 50th Anniversary Team. In 2008, he was inducted into the Guilford County Sports Hall of Fame; in 2010, he was inducted into the South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame. His No. 77 has been retired by Smith High School.

Bostic has been married to Jami Bostic since 1993. They have been blessed with three children: Jennifer, Kathryn and Mark. They maintain homes in Greensboro and Isle of Palms, S.C.

Golic mentioned on his show how wrestling made his FB

Jun 3, 2015, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Cervenka ready for new legacy at Clemson ]

so much better. Said it was a major factor in his success in the game.

Jun 2, 2015, 2:44 PM

Good story.. Has to get much, much better before he touches the field. Saw him play in person against my Alma Mater (Southside) and he had little to no impact against our horrid D-Line. Hopefully he will improve in a way similar to Grady Jarrett.

Jun 2, 2015, 2:44 PM

*O-Line I meant.

Yea...they toss around 3 star guys like water...

Jun 2, 2015, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Cervenka ready for new legacy at Clemson ]

...as my 12yo says, "what'evs".

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

The United States Marines named him the Defensive Player

Jun 3, 2015, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Cervenka ready for new legacy at Clemson ]

of the Game in the 2015 Semper Fidelis Bowl.

Congrats, Gage! Keep your eyes on this guy- he has the

Jun 3, 2015, 5:15 PM

mental x-factor to go along with his record-breaking athleticism. He's smart, really smart but equally important is his mental perspective and approach. Very proud and happy for his parents but also happy that Clemson will be a better place with Gage there. Gage is one of those that will contribute anywhere whenever he can.

Jun 3, 2015, 10:40 PM

Can't wait to get this outstanding young man on campus and watch what he does! Hurry up & get back from the beach, Big Boy, so you can begin those glorious days as a Clemson Tiger! Welcome to the family.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic