Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would you prefer Clemson to join the Big 12 or stay in ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Would you prefer Clemson to join the Big 12 or stay in ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 5:01 PM

Why?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC***

Jan 17, 2013, 5:02 PM

Re: Would you prefer Clemson to join the Big 12 or stay in ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 5:02 PM

dont want the Big 12 travel. but I want a decent Swofford free ACC

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2013, 5:09 PM

So, 74Tiger, assuming that John Swofford stays on as ACC commish and the ACC doesn't change its ways, would you prefer the ACC or Big 12?

Jan 17, 2013, 5:38 PM

I do not care for the big 12 for Clemson. it is not a fit under any circumstance short of developing an east and a west division

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

B12, because I'd rather be able to travel to 1-2 conf games I cared about rather than

Jan 17, 2013, 5:03 PM

3-4 I don't really care about

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 5:07 PM

Our recruiting is 95% southeastern. When the rumors were swirling last year, a lot of recruits and their families expressed their dissatisfaction with the idea.

We would eventually recover and build new recruiting schools/ties, but we would take a MAJOR hit initially.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2013, 5:08 PM

Neither.

Jan 17, 2013, 5:51 PM

ACC - It would take years to recover from a move to anywhere other than the SEC. Regional recruiting and tradition goes a long ways. I would not want to be the new kid on the block for the next 50 years.

ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 5:11 PM

But it depends on two things - we have to improve the quality , I am looking at you UNC Miami, NC State and Ga Tech, and FSU has to stay. If those two things can happen the $$$$ will come.

If FSU leaves I think we have to come with.

ACC-moey will even out eventually as BigXII has very few

Jan 17, 2013, 5:14 PM

options for additions other than the ACC. Would you rather join the PAC12 or stay i the Big12/10?

Re: ACC-moey will even out eventually as BigXII has very few

Jan 17, 2013, 5:19 PM

ACC, we can go undefeated every year and be a top 10 program year in and out.

ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 5:17 PM

Sorry. I grew up in the Southeast. I just can't imagine playing teams from the Midwest. You can diss Duke, Wake, etc, but I have friends that have at least attended those schools. I really hope some of the ACC coaching hires pan out because I feel like the conference is on it's last legs. It's a shame that we all (Clemson included) mired in mediocrity for so long while the SEC rose to elite power. There is no reason for schools like Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NCSU, VT, UVA to have sucked so bad as of late. These should all be winning programs. FSU should challenge for MNC every few years and with UNC, Clemson, VT not far behind. The only thing I'm afraid of is that the current gap between the ACC and other conferences is already too big to overcome.

I found out last summer what I want is irrelevant.

Jan 17, 2013, 5:18 PM

For now I like Clemson's position in the football world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big12.......b/c i don't see the ACC surving football wise...

Jan 17, 2013, 5:23 PM

when you only have ONE.......ONE meaningful bowl game OUTSIDE of the BCS........your conference SUX

The Big 12 almost dissolved two years ago, and they need

Jan 17, 2013, 7:00 PM

4-6 more teams to keep up with the other major conferences. They are second to the Big East as the most unstable in my opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 5:37 PM

Big XII is okay, for having new competition but it is not great for fans as they travel. A Kansas , Iowa St. or a Texas Tech trip is not so exciting. Staying in the ACC is stressful because we want the conference to be more competitive and respected football-wise. The thing is we still have that element of good southern rivalry or southern competition in the ACC, and in this region. The travel is also easier and doable for families thats even on the tightest budget. If we were in the Big XII, I think we would lose those elements quickly.

ACC. ******

Jan 17, 2013, 5:52 PM

null

Reasons:

Jan 17, 2013, 6:06 PM

1) Tradition
2) All of our rivals are there except for Georgia (who we play occasionally) and South Carolina (who we play annually).
3) We draw students from ACC country
4) Our alumni live in ACC country
5) I can make an easy day trip out of at least five opponents (NCSU, Duke, Wake, UNC, VT) and drive to a few more for a quick weekend trip (GT, FSU, UVA).
6) Another opponent is in Boston, which is a great destination
7) Another opponent is in Miami, which is a great destination
8) Another opponent is in Pittsburgh, which is a pretty nice town
9) Another opponent is in Syacuse, which is terrible but maybe I can visit the city
10) Academics of the two conferences don't compare
11) Best basketball in the country. Not only do we benefit financially from this but we also recruit better. Our recruiting for basketball would be damaged incredibly if we left the ACC.
12) Even if the money is better in the Big 12 (which is arguable), I believe that the ACC has the tools to keep the playing field level (good teams in good markets)
13) I know no one who went to any Big 12 school. I know dozens of people who are fans of every school in the ACC except for Miami and Louisville. Interaction with fans from the entire conference makes it more fun for me.
14) Our student-athletes should be considered student-athletes, meaning we should consider how often they have to get on a plane to go to the middle of the country.
15) Our recruiting base is in ACC country and evidence indicates that the threat of Clemson moving to the Big 12 was a detriment to our recruiting.
16) I believe that travel takes a toll on a team. Ask West Virginia.
17) Although we complain about the UNC bias of the conference, there are no STRUCTURAL biases toward UNC like there are for Texas in the Big 12.
18) Olympic sports championships and touraments would almost always be in Texas.
19) Any goal we have (up to an including a national championship) are available to us from the ACC. Not that they wouldn't be in the Big 12 but there's no reason to switch for lofty goals.
20) John Swofford cannot be the Commish forever.

That's just off the top of my head but I'm sure if I gave it 30 seconds I could come up with some more reasons. Other than that...ya know...Boomer Sooner and what not.

null

Big 12. It's simple...

Jan 17, 2013, 5:53 PM

Clemson is a Football school and belongs in a Football-first conference.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2013, 5:53 PM

Havent we been through this ?

are hoping to get somthing different ths time ?

Message was edited by: Tigers84a®

Jan 17, 2013, 6:01 PM

Better than your "do you guys know who Rodney Williams is" posts

ACC, it's our history***

Jan 17, 2013, 5:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC, it's our history***

Jan 17, 2013, 6:01 PM

Joseph,

The SoCon is also in our history. Should we go back to the SoCon. Out of all the reasons for staying in a conference that is the weakest

Not true."Being listed first alphabetically" is the weakest.***

Jan 17, 2013, 6:07 PM

null

We can only be in one conference.***

Jan 17, 2013, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC, it's our history*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 6:49 PM

...and it's not close.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2013, 5:59 PM

anyone change their answer?

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=1195398&messageID=13380303#13380303

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NICE !

Jan 17, 2013, 6:04 PM

well played

Jan 17, 2013, 6:00 PM

Big 12.

I would rather travel 750 miles to see us play decent competition than 300 miles to see us play at Wallace Wade

ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 6:10 PM

ACC will be back..

A down few years doesn't mean we have to ditch the ACC.

Re: ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 6:14 PM

How can you say the ACC will be back when our conference leaders secured a TV deal that is the weakest of the power 5. The only way the ACC will be back is because Swofford renegotiates our TV contract and gives third tier rights back to the schools or creates an ACC network.

Money is what drives the ship. If you don't have comparable money your not going to be a top conference.

Jan 17, 2013, 6:16 PM

Stay in ACC due to travel. Get in SEC if they will take us.

ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 6:16 PM

BIG XII SUX

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

ACC. Live in NC.***

Jan 17, 2013, 6:19 PM

ACC now...6 months ago I was saying move to the Big 12.....

Jan 17, 2013, 6:28 PM

Personally if the SEC ever invited Clemson..GO!!!!!! But we all know that will never happen so I say stay in the ACC as long FSU does. Adding Louisville was a very good moved..Just wish ND was a full member. The key for the ACC is to win their non-conference games and Bowl games and have a first rate TV contact. Plus getingt rid of Swoffie!!! If those things happen then Money and respect will return back to the ACC in football. ;)

Well soonerfan...

Jan 17, 2013, 7:04 PM

If you would have asked 6 months ago you could have filled her majesty's QE2 with big 12 jumpers.

ACC is where we belong. As much as the ACC has been picked on as of late there are still a couple of teams that have a chance moving forward to bring the conference back. I may be wrong, but a quick jump to a conf. where the travel schedule would be brutal and already run by a team who is one of the biggest names in college football (financially and TV revenues) is not the answer

ACC, but only if FSU doesn't bolt for Big 12***

Jan 17, 2013, 7:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU means nothing***

Jan 17, 2013, 7:58 PM

ACC

Jan 17, 2013, 7:26 PM

Nothing against the Big 12, but logistically it would be a nightmare for us.

WVU is on an island and they don't really fit into the Big 12. The same would happen to Clemson.

Now, if UNC, Duke, Virginia, GTech, FSU and Clemson all wanted to join and form the eastern division, that would be something to consider.

But Clemson joining as a stand alone or with FSU is not ideal.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

ACC-----------Travel***

Jan 17, 2013, 7:36 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2013, 7:37 PM

Clemson IS the ACC...

Jan 17, 2013, 7:57 PM

Just cause--

Replies: 42