Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would Rodney Williams have been a winner anywhere or was he
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Would Rodney Williams have been a winner anywhere or was he

Jan 30, 2014, 3:04 PM

a result of "the system" ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Would Rodney Williams have been a winner anywhere or was he

Jan 30, 2014, 3:18 PM

He could not pass the ketchup to the guy next to him!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

except in bowl games***

Jan 30, 2014, 3:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He also sucked vs the coots***

Jan 31, 2014, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Would Rodney Williams have been a winner anywhere or was he ]

He was a master of our system at the time and probably would

Jan 30, 2014, 3:21 PM

have thrived in anyone's triple option offense. He was adept at making the correct read, and when he kept the ball, he was big, strong, and tough as nails.

I don't ever remember him missing any time due to injury, even though he got hit and hit hard on practically every play we ran for 4 years.

He also proved he was a pretty decent passer when pressed into action behind 0-30 to NC State ... almost bringing us back. And then in the big Citrus Bowl win over Penn State.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he was tough as hell and ran the option very well.

Jan 30, 2014, 3:29 PM

I think Fuller and Jordan were among the two best option QB's i ever saw, along with J.C. Watts at OU. Rodney was in the next tier because he didn't have the speed of the other three. The guy took some brutal hits and was a born leader....i hated him in HS LOL (played against him) but loved that he became a Tiger and he was the man on some of the best Tiger teams we've ever had.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He never gave the ball up until someon commited to hit him.

Jan 30, 2014, 3:33 PM [ in reply to He was a master of our system at the time and probably would ]

I loved the guy. Tough as nails is the only way to explain him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was very good but if we would have had Fuller, Homer, or

Jan 30, 2014, 4:08 PM [ in reply to He was a master of our system at the time and probably would ]

Woody at QB running the option, we may have won a NC.;)

We had this argument about 10 years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fuller, Homer, Woody

Jan 30, 2014, 9:02 PM

I'll give you Fuller and Homer, but Woody would not have been a particularly effective option QB in my opinion. He was a great athlete and a terrific runner, but I don't see him as one who would read the option all that well. He'd have been great in Chad Morris's offense though.

But as to the old discussion ... I'm just not sure which specific games we lost because of Rodney ... ;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rodney Williams = Swag Kelly***

Jan 30, 2014, 3:48 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was a pretty good QB surrounded by a lot of

Jan 30, 2014, 3:49 PM

great players, and he was a great fit for the system. He was tough, executed the option well, and was a good leader. He did not have a great arm, had an awkward throwing motion, and was not a great runner.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Tiger D won most of the games in those days.***

Jan 30, 2014, 7:05 PM

I don't even think he was ideal for our system at the time

Jan 30, 2014, 4:06 PM

as he was not remotely explosive as a runner. He was a leader and he was big and strong. He was a decent passer from the pocket, but absolutely could not throw on the run. He was good with ball fakes, and ran the option well for someone that was not a runner. However, we did not run the option as often as some think. I'd say Fuller, Jordon, Eppley, and even Morroco were all better option QB's, and Jordon had a better arm than any of them from the Ford era.

What Rodney did was exactly what Danny wanted. Run the

Jan 30, 2014, 6:21 PM

clock, Make the right decision on the pitch, lead the offense and he didn't screw up. I think he was Danny"s ideal QB !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had Tony Rice not switched to Notre Dame we would.....

Jan 31, 2014, 4:32 PM

have played for a National Championship, and Rodney might have played his senior year. I am quite sure Danny would have preferred to have had a better QB, but Rodney definitely had some strengths.

I remember him being a vicious blocker too. He was a leader

Jan 30, 2014, 10:13 PM

who would do anything to win. I say some pinpoint passing too, but that wasn't our game back then!

Re: I remember him being a vicious blocker too. He was a leader

Jan 31, 2014, 1:27 AM

His passing on the run was something full of wonder. I often wondered how high above the receiver the ball would go. He was a career 46% passer. Good thing for him the option was the offense du jour.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic