Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Worst meltdown by our Tigers ever was GT 2004...I still
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Worst meltdown by our Tigers ever was GT 2004...I still

Nov 14, 2013, 10:41 AM

recall how stunned I was as I sat in the student section and watched the long-snapper roll the ball back to the punter. GT scored two TD's in the final 2mins to win. The hardest part was, up by 3 with around 1min left to play, Charlie Whitehurst on 1st and 10, rushed 9 yards to the Clemson 37...a play, that, if memory serves me correct, required a measurement. We needed less than one yard to seal the game and couldn't get it, which led to the horrible long-snap, which led to the puner falling on the ball instead of kicking it out of the endzone, which led to Justin Miller getting abused by Calvin Johnson (again). I remember GT coming onto the field, down 3, with 15 or so seconds left...the ball was on the right hash, they had 10 guys in the box and had Calvin Johnson spread about as far left as possible. He had to be within 10 or so feet of the sideline, in man coverage with Miller. Everybody in the stadium knew where the ball was going and knew that Miller was what seemed like a foot or so shorter and had no chance. The rest is history.

Go Tigers...please don't every let this happen again! :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I broke up with my girlfriend after that game.

Nov 14, 2013, 10:44 AM

I was just really angry.

I think that's still the most upset I've ever been after a

Nov 14, 2013, 10:45 AM

loss (UConn in basketball comes close). Took me hours to get to sleep after that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Mine was BC in '07. I got sick after that game***

Nov 14, 2013, 11:28 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was on the hill for that game... the snap happened

Nov 14, 2013, 10:54 AM

right in front of me... horrible ending... The walk back to Lightsey was extremely long that night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Idk. 2012 USuC was pretty bad.***

Nov 14, 2013, 10:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

1993 at FSU

Nov 14, 2013, 11:06 AM

got blown out 57-0

Re: Worst meltdown by our Tigers ever was GT 2004...I still

Nov 14, 2013, 11:11 AM

I remember all that. Also, don't forget that when we were trying to run time off the clock in the 4th quarter, Kyle Browning took a handoff up the middle for 60 yards or so for a touchdown. I was thinking at that time we had it in the bag. I couldn't have been more wrong!

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Everybody thought that....the coaches too apparently***

Nov 14, 2013, 11:13 AM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Then his celebration penalty started the meltdown***

Nov 14, 2013, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Worst meltdown by our Tigers ever was GT 2004...I still ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heard Geoff Rigsby apologized on Tnet after that

Nov 14, 2013, 11:17 AM

Felt bad for him.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=3752

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did, he felt horrible. He is a good guy.***

Nov 14, 2013, 2:45 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Yup. One of Tommy's

Nov 14, 2013, 11:19 AM

"play away from success" games. I was having a good morning, digestively, until your description of that game brought up those nauseating moments of nostalgia.

Thanks a lot for this. It's what memories are made of.

I was sitting in the corner where CJ caught it. Justin was never the same after that day, and faded out from that moment, as did Tommy.

The bad snap: I met the actual snapper one day, in person, a few years later. He still looked a bit lost in life.

Bad snaps will do that to you.

The long snapper is a good kid and still posts here ....

Nov 14, 2013, 11:28 AM

regularly

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yea - haven't seen him on here, but he's a good guy

Nov 14, 2013, 11:46 AM

When I lived in Greenville, I used to see him out a good bit. He's a good guy though - and made a lot of really good plays/tackles for us. Unfortunately though, he'll mainly be remembered for that one.

That didnt upset me too bad because of how fluke it was***

Nov 14, 2013, 11:20 AM

A few memories about that game - without exposing myself..

Nov 14, 2013, 11:22 AM

My girlfriend's brother was Geoff Rigsby's roommate. Pregame, we were hanging out at their house (he wasn't there) and he had a #54 jersey sitting on his bed. My girlfriend tried it on and took a pic of her in it and posted it to FB. Later on, late in that game, you could feel what was happening - and then that snap. It took me a second to put it together - then I looked at my gf and her bro and was like "uhh.. that was Goof.." My girlfriend's brother said "oh $41t" and kind of shook his head. I told my girlfriend she needed to remove that as her profile pic immediately. We sulked out of the stadium - and their house got rolled and egged that night. No kidding - a few months later, we were all in Colorado for New Years and about 10-15 of us (Goof included) were watching this Sportscenter Year in Review. It's a video montage of Shaq and Kobe, the World Series - all kinds of clips of big sporting events. And the ending clip: Goof curled up on the paw in the center of the field. And he's sitting right beside us. We all kind of nervously laughed, then someone mentioned that none of us had ever been on Sportscenter and he should be proud. I still remember all of that like it was yesterday.

As I also wrote the other day, that was also the same game our mascot and their bee mascot got into a fistfight and had to be separated by the cops. I've looked everywhere for a video of that. Our mascot was on top of that guy, literally beating the crap out of him. Out of that whole game, that's the one thing I'd love to see again, and cannot find anywhere.

I forgot about the mascot fight. That was insane. The Tiger

Nov 14, 2013, 2:48 PM

was beating the crap out of that guy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Thank you! Someone else that saw (and remembers) it!

Nov 14, 2013, 2:58 PM

Btw - are you the same Renegade from ESPN?

The only thing I've been able to find on that is this:

Nov 14, 2013, 3:03 PM [ in reply to I forgot about the mascot fight. That was insane. The Tiger ]

http://clemson.scout.com/2/293221.html

turns out the jacket was a girl***

Nov 14, 2013, 3:06 PM [ in reply to I forgot about the mascot fight. That was insane. The Tiger ]

Those blowouts a lot of people are mentioning are not

Nov 14, 2013, 3:14 PM

"meltdowns". They're blowouts. Totally different.

2004 against Ga Tech was a quintessential meltdown-- the worst I can remember.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU 2013***

Nov 14, 2013, 11:22 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Nov 14, 2013, 11:25 AM

Don't forget about the 200 game in the Valley when Kerry Watkns caught a td pass with about 7-8s left in the game to ###### victory from the Tigers. That was also a ### game for us.

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Lord, God in Heaven, I hate Georgia Tech.

Nov 14, 2013, 11:49 AM

I hope we kill them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there .. Making the night worse was waiting in

Nov 14, 2013, 11:49 AM

all the traffic after the game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember directly after the bad snap

Nov 14, 2013, 11:57 AM

The guy in front of me goes "overtime!" With sarcastic enthusiasm. Then a guy next to him yelled, "overtime? Hell they're gonna win this right here!". Seconds later a touchdown

All started by Kyle Browning getting the celebration penalty

Nov 14, 2013, 3:18 PM

after his TD put us up by 10 and us having to kick off from the 15.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2013, 3:22 PM

I remember that when the ball got to Chaison, he bent over as it was rolling on the ground the whole way. As soon as the ball reached him it took a high bounce over his head. Everything fell apart then.

The worst part about the Whitehurst play was

Nov 14, 2013, 4:12 PM

that he wasn't tackled a fraction short - he went into a slide too soon. If he had kept running, there would have been a different ending.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic