Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With our secondary being so thin...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

With our secondary being so thin...

Jul 6, 2018, 8:58 PM

Do you see Kendrick possibly spending some time over on defense throughout the season? I remember I heard that at one point during his recruitment that he wanted to play DB in college.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO***

Jul 6, 2018, 9:04 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: With our secondary being so thin...

I just don't think that you take that type of threat away from the offense....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NOPE***

Jul 6, 2018, 9:05 PM

From what I have heard McMichael is a stud and will be getting his share of reps to help with things backfield.

That said, when you have Jeff Scott comparing Kendrick to Sammy with a little higher Football IQ as true freshman due to him playing QB, I don't see him getting yanked over to DEF unless it gets critical.

Jul 6, 2018, 10:45 PM

Yeah i know he’s been impressive so far but we are about two injuries away at DB before going into panic mode. I was thinking that Kendrick could spend some time on defense when we are blowing the opponent out just so he could have some experience in a real game. Him and Rogers are the only WRs i can see having no problem playing DB with their speed and agility.

Jul 8, 2018, 4:22 PM

why?
We have plenty of (barring injuries) DBs.
Relax.

Jul 7, 2018, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Re: With our secondary being so thin... ]

Agree, and also with as good as our front 7 are suppose to be, and should be on our D-line, I just don't think we will see much of a deep threat for our secondary until we get into the championship games at the end of the season. By that time, we should have quality depth with some experience in our secondary!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 9:17 PM

I would look for Cornell Powell to get some work at safety first out of all the wide receivers

Jul 6, 2018, 11:10 PM

Powell has so much potential...but at a position where we have so much talent. He seems like one of those guys who you're going to look up and suddenly he's a senior and has never really emerged. I wonder if a move to D might be the right thing for him.

Jul 7, 2018, 7:13 AM

I guess I'm still trying to figure out where the "we are thin in the secondary" rhetoric is coming from. We have an OVERAGE of DE's for sure with 13 on the roster. When ur talking next year, we are VERY thin at DT. The secondary this year, I'm not concerned, but next year, well, we are building pretty much a whole new defense. Fields, Mullins, Muse, gone. Wilkins, Lawrence, Bryant, Ferrell, Huggins, gone. Lamar, Joseph, gone. The thing is, Venables defenses has gone this attrition before. 2019 class is going to be key. Belk leaving hurt a bit. Definitely PRIME playing time for a couple of DT studs to come in and get early playing.

Fields
Mullins
Terrell
L. Williams
McMichael
Goodrich
Wallace
Simmons
Muse
Johnson

And to a lesser extent

Turner
Donnelly
Dawkins

Message was edited by: fencebusters®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2018, 7:27 AM

Actual facts. Refreshing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2018, 10:53 AM

Facts.... smacks....over rated.... lol

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Who is Donnelly?

Jul 7, 2018, 7:32 AM [ in reply to Re: With our secondary being so thin... ]

Terrell not Burrell?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right now number 2 on depth chart safties are

Jul 7, 2018, 7:44 AM

Turner and Johnson. It's not like they worked their way up the depth chart, there is nobody else to beat other than Simmons and walk-ons. They might be great, but neither Turner got an offer because of his dad being friends with Dabo, and Johnson was a last second pickup with only a couple of P5 offers. 1 injury and we have a walk-on as backup.

Re: Right now number 2 on depth chart safties are

Jul 7, 2018, 8:22 AM

Wallace will also double as a safety. So, I guess one could say we might be thin at safety, but I imagine several of the corners will double as safeties if needed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Right now number 2 on depth chart safties are

Jul 7, 2018, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Right now number 2 on depth chart safties are ]

I know, walk ons are a terrible thing to have to rely on, says Hunter Renfrow ;)

Re: Who is Donnelly?

Jul 7, 2018, 8:21 AM [ in reply to Who is Donnelly? ]

Yeah, Neal you are right. It was that early morning fog. LOL

Donnelly is a freshman walk on DB from Alabama. Film looks good, but still a walk on. Charleston and Jones are coming in next year along with Thornton and Zanders, so Dabo and Venables reloading.

Jul 7, 2018, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Re: With our secondary being so thin... ]

2019 recruiting class isn't full yet, so that leaves an opening or two for our coaching staff to sell our shortage for 2019 to a cple of Elite defensive line guys. BV hasn't failed us so far with big uglies to hold down the front 4 spots!!!

Jul 8, 2018, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: With our secondary being so thin... ]

I don’t think the issue is with numbers which you just proved, the issue is concerns with depth and talent. Trayvon is a stud and the next shutdown corner. I think Terrell is going to be good and had an ok Freshman year. Fields is a senior and was sidetracked by injury bug and seems to spend his fair share of time in the doghouse. Still think he is good not great but serviceable depth and with our DLine can be an option (will say he has a high ceiling if he puts it together). Wallace can play CB if needed but we have 3 guys with experience. Think Williams, McMichael, and Goodrich will be good but can’t be relied on yet.

St safety Muse was underwhelming last year and Simmons had too many busts in coverage which is why he is being moved from safety to repack DOD which is better position for his skill set. Also this means Wallace probably plays safety to remove him from CB depth. This is why the poster commented about being thin in the secondary which is actually an accurate assessment and one vocalized already by BV. Hopefully no injuries rear their ugly heads otherwise we will have to pick between talented freshman or Johnson, Turner, or Dawkins. Personally I say play talent but secondary is one tough position to learn.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic