Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With Sullivan leaving now. We have a serious problem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

With Sullivan leaving now. We have a serious problem

Mar 25, 2013, 2:50 PM

depth wise in the front court. Besides Nnoko and Josh Smith (both combined averaged 2.2 points per game) who do we have to play down low next year? I'm just not seeing how we put together a competitive team next year. I know there is the spring signing period left and possible transfer but lets be honest, there are not many big guys left out there that have not signed with other D1 programs. I keep hearing about a possible transfer, however, is a guy that is transferring from a similar school for playing time reasons really going to come in here and be a difference maker?

I hope Brownell has some answers to these questions because right now looking at our roster I find it hard to believe we can improve on our 5-14 conference record knowing that we have lost 3 of our 5 big men and the only 3 that REALLY played any.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sullivan was not really a "frontcourt" player anyway, so

Mar 25, 2013, 2:57 PM

so this is not a new problem with his departure.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I agree he was not really a "front court" player

Mar 25, 2013, 2:59 PM

However, who else do we have that has had any experience playing down low? It's just hard to believe how far out talent level has fallen off over the past 3 years. Especially in the front court.

Re: Would Sullivan have been a difference maker?***

Mar 25, 2013, 2:58 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He would have probably been a starter or 6th man next year

Mar 25, 2013, 3:01 PM

As bad as that sounds yes he would have been a difference maker. We only have 2 players that are currently listed above 6'7 that can play down low. There are high school teams out there with more depth and size in the front court.

Re He might have been a starter but I doubt that he would

Mar 25, 2013, 3:03 PM

really have made any significant difference.

I just find it hard to believe there are players out there

Mar 25, 2013, 3:05 PM

now that are going to come in and contribute as freshman any more than he would have in year 2 of his career.

So you don't think we can get more than 2 ppg next year

Mar 25, 2013, 3:46 PM

out of the PF position?

You act as though Sullivan played all game.

Mar 25, 2013, 3:48 PM

Sullivan played 9 minutes a game.

Jerai Grant averaged 9 minutes a game his sophomore year and averaged 4 points. Would you have cut him loose too?

Like I said before, it is a numbers game. Would you rather have 2 big men on your roster or 3? The obvious answer is 3.

So why didn't he play more, seeing as Milt was ahead of

Mar 25, 2013, 3:55 PM

him? Milt was no James Mays. Milt was barely servicable and yet Sullivan couldn't steal any minutes. Grant had Booker, Mays and Sykes ahead of him. And he was a legit 6'9. 6'6 PF's don't fly in the ACC

Because he ISNT that good. But who else on our roster is?

Mar 25, 2013, 4:02 PM

You do realize that now bernard is gone, currently the only two big men we have are Josh Smith and Nnnoko? Both of which played less minutes than Sullivan. None of these guys are great but it is ALL we have. Losing one of our big men will hurt rather.

Sullivan is not a big man, that's why he couldn't crack

Mar 25, 2013, 4:11 PM

a regular rotation spot. unless we land a competent, traditional 4 somehow you spread the floor and go with Blossomgame at 4. Trap, press some, quicken the pace, spread the floor and rely on the better shooting we should have with Rooks, Coleman, Blossingame, Roper and hopefully an improved Filer and maybe Harrison

teams will destory us down low.***

Mar 25, 2013, 4:12 PM

That may be.

Mar 25, 2013, 4:16 PM

But having Bernard Sullivan wouldn't have changed that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think 6'6 Bernard Sullivan is the answer to that?

Mar 25, 2013, 4:21 PM [ in reply to teams will destory us down low.*** ]

best bet is having that 6'9, 240lb big on the other team chasing a gazelle like Blossomgame all over the court. Not having Sullivan try to stop that guy down low

Sullivan looked more like 6-5 or 6-4.

Mar 25, 2013, 4:31 PM

Just did not look or play like a big.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sullivan wouldn't have mattered. He's not a 4 in Division 1

Mar 25, 2013, 3:01 PM

basketball.

Regardless whether is was a 4 star or not he was one of the

Mar 25, 2013, 3:03 PM

ONLY guys that had experience playing in the front court that is returning next year. Who takes his spot now?

Re:I don't think it matters as I doubt that we can do any

Mar 25, 2013, 3:04 PM

worse.

Just think we're screwed either way you look at it unless

Mar 25, 2013, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Regardless whether is was a 4 star or not he was one of the ]

something incredible happens in regards to recruiting or development. Lose KJ, then yeah, you've got some problems. I just think you can fill Sullivan's spot pretty easily without much drop off.

Re: With Sullivan leaving now. We have a serious problem

Mar 25, 2013, 3:05 PM

OMG!!!! He only averaged 9 minutes per game and not even 2 points a game. We're not losing a lot by him transferring people.

I keep hearing the same story every time somebody transfers

Mar 25, 2013, 3:08 PM

Donte Hill, Noel Johnson, Cory Stanton, TJ sapp, Benard Sullivan.

Look none of these guys will be considered NBA talent but overall we keep losing depth. Going back to my original post who are we going to have to play in the front court next year? Is it really going to be Josh Smith? He couldn't even play over sullivan this year.

Re:Depth is nothing if they can't play. BB made a mistake

Mar 25, 2013, 3:11 PM

in bringing him in. I would think he knows when to cut bait.

You don't really believe Brownell asked him to leave do you?

Mar 25, 2013, 3:14 PM

Brownell did not want him to leave.

I don't believe it matters. He went from 1.3 to 1.8 pts/gm

Mar 25, 2013, 3:18 PM

from year 1 to year 2.

Like I said, on a team that has only 2 players taller than

Mar 25, 2013, 3:22 PM

Him, I think it matters more than you think. I doubt we bring in guys as freshman that are going to contribute more than he did in year 2.

I think we probably will, but even if we don't it's only

Mar 25, 2013, 3:28 PM

a loss of 1.8pts per game. It matters not how tall he is if he can't contribute. Check out the games where he played more minutes against lesser teams and he still didn't produce.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/56633/bernard-sullivan

Jerai Grant averaged 4 points per game after his 2nd year

Mar 25, 2013, 3:32 PM

Not saying Sullivan is on Jerai's level, but to say that he only averages 1.8 pts per game and will not be a factor in his third year is not true. We had little depth in our front court before he transferred. Now we have ZERO depth now that he is gone. We literally have 2 scholarship big men right now.

Jerai was playing behind James Mays

Mar 25, 2013, 3:45 PM

and still played far more minutes than Sullivan. You telling me we're honestly worse off going with Blossmgame at 4 and going small or going with any recruit we bring in?

Blossomgame is way to small to play down low in the ACC next

Mar 25, 2013, 3:50 PM

season.

Not in a 4 out offense

Mar 25, 2013, 3:57 PM

have you been watching the tourney. Iowa St, Villanova, LaSalle, VCU, UNC and several others basically are playing 4 guards and a post player. It's where we're heading right now

And Jerai and Sullivan literally averaged the same minutes

Mar 25, 2013, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Jerai was playing behind James Mays ]

their sophomore years so not sure where you are getting your stats from.

4.7 pts, 3.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game playing behind

Mar 25, 2013, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Jerai Grant averaged 4 points per game after his 2nd year ]

NBA player Trevor Booker. Sullivan averaged 1.8pts, 1.1 rebounds and .1 blocks and played behind Milton Jennings.

Grant played so much bigger than Sullivan. He just didn't play like a tall man and he lacked the quickness to move out onto the perimeter.

So you would tell Josh Smith to hit the road to then?

Mar 25, 2013, 3:52 PM

He played BEHIND sullivan this year. Josh Smith is the only PF we have now. Are you really comfortable going into the season knowing that a guy who couldn't play over Sullivan will now be starting?

You can't teach 6'8, 250

Mar 25, 2013, 3:59 PM

he at least has legit size, even if he's a huge project

I don't see Smith starting and I didn't see Sullivan giving

Mar 25, 2013, 4:06 PM [ in reply to So you would tell Josh Smith to hit the road to then? ]

us much production next year.

It will be interesting to see how much progress Smith makes from year one to year two. I hope he makes a lot more than Sullivan did. He may not be a scoring machine, but he should at least be able to contribute on the defensive end, which Sullivan did not.

The "sky is falling" attitude you are displaying may be appropriate for the basketball team's future, but not because of this transfer.

Like I said earlier I have heard the same thing every time a

Mar 25, 2013, 4:10 PM

another player transfers from out team. Sullivan is the 5th or 6th guy now in 4 years. If you really don't think it is hurting this team for depth reasons than I think you are mistaken.

Let's try to focus on Sullivan for now.

Mar 25, 2013, 4:15 PM

I've seen nothing from Sullivan that leads me to believe we can't replace his 1.8pts and 1.3 rebounds against mostly non-conference teams with a freshman or a juco or a transfer or a current player.

Andre Young would be better at 4

Mar 25, 2013, 4:23 PM

;)

Re:No one is arguing that transfers don't hurt but sometimes

Mar 25, 2013, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Like I said earlier I have heard the same thing every time a ]

you screw up with what you have selected. You then had better make some decisions to right the program. If you have made mistakes; admit them and try to correct. Sweeping the crap under the rug will never never work.

Re: I don't believe he really cared whether he stayed or

Mar 25, 2013, 3:23 PM [ in reply to You don't really believe Brownell asked him to leave do you? ]

left.

I disagree with that completely. Brownell knows next year is

Mar 25, 2013, 3:26 PM

a key year for him. Why would he not care if one of his only THREE big men leave in possibly his last year as a coach? Because a guy like Josh Smith (played less than sullivan did this year) is still on the roster? Or is the fact that we have 3 players over 6'7, with only two of them as possible front court players.

So why hang your hat on a guy you know can't compete

Mar 25, 2013, 4:01 PM

as a PF in the ACC. Too small for a PF and to slow for a 3

Because it is ALL we have right now.

Mar 25, 2013, 4:04 PM

Maybe we are looking at two different rosters. I must not be seeing all this big guys that are currently on our roster.

How could anyone we bring in be less productive

Mar 25, 2013, 4:43 PM

or less able to play the position? He's not a post player. Bring in someone who is

Clemson recruits quite often do not "blossom" until

Mar 25, 2013, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Re: With Sullivan leaving now. We have a serious problem ]

their 3rd or even 4th year.

We very seldom get a Trevor Booker who arrives game ready and tough.

At Clemson, guys who are heavy contributors as freshmen and even sopphmores have been few and far between.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't believe in throwing good money after bad money.

Mar 25, 2013, 3:13 PM

If it is not there, get the heck out.

i think you fail to see the fact

Mar 25, 2013, 3:17 PM

that if he played more than our other two only big men on the team this year that says a lot about those guys.

In your mind do you just cut everybody that played less than Sullivan and start over with all new freshman?

It is a numbers game, when you lose 5-6 scholarship players from transferring over a 4 year period it has a cumulative effect.

We all know Sullivan wasn't going to be an all-acc caliber player but he was a guy that actually played some minutes this year and surely would have helped in some way with our lack of size.

Re: Sometimes, you have to admit you have a bunch of

Mar 25, 2013, 3:27 PM

duds. If you are in the marker and it falls like a dagger, do you sit there and say it will be back? When it gets to a certain level, I will get out and try something else.

Yes trimming the fat as you speak is a good thing, however

Mar 25, 2013, 3:29 PM

Not in year 4 of a coach that has had 3 declining seasons in a row? If this happen last year or the year before maybe. But looking at the numbers and the amount of time Brownell has, losing Sullivan will hurt. If you are okay with losing Sullivan then you might as well tell Josh Smith to pack his bags too because he played behind him this year.

Re:He could very well be next. I bet if he said "I am

Mar 25, 2013, 3:43 PM

thinking of transferring", BB would tell him not to let the door hit him in the
butt.

Surely you are just kidding.

Mar 25, 2013, 3:47 PM

Brownell is in no position to do that. He has to improve next year or he is likly out. You cannot decline 4 straight years and expect to get a 5th year. If you really think cutting all of our big men and playing next year with either true freshman or playing with a lineup that consists of only 6'6 players and smaller you are out of your mind.

And we'll never be seriously competitive until that changes.

Mar 25, 2013, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Clemson recruits quite often do not "blossom" until ]

And it can change, and that should be the goal.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: With Sullivan leaving now. We have a serious problem

Mar 25, 2013, 3:35 PM

Yes this will hurt depth but I don't think it will hurt the team. Maybe this will be the transfer that forces them to go small and have a solid plan for this season. Maybe it forces them to go out and get a big man JUCO or otherwise. Either way I don't think it puts them in a considerably less favorable position then they were already in.

null

We have to have a JUCO player come in.

Mar 25, 2013, 3:38 PM

I'm not a big fan of it but in this situation we have no other option but to bring in a guy with size that can play some minutes next year. Maybe 2 guys.

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic