Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will they serve beer and have Clemson football in heaven?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 417

Will they serve beer and have Clemson football in heaven?

Aug 21, 2020, 9:11 AM

Will our family, friends, and animals be there? What do you religious peeps think when you imagine heaven? What are you expecting?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will they serve beer and have Clemson football in heaven?

Aug 21, 2020, 9:22 AM

1988. What are your expectations of heaven and eternity?

Aug 21, 2020, 9:32 AM

Here we go, digging this. This is a old school 08-09 P&R type post.

Here’s my thoughts:

Heaven and hell are religious constructs that have historically existed and been taught to help people wrestle with one of the more uncomfortable aspects of life- mortality. It’s easier to face the cold reality that you and everyone you’ve ever known and loved will cease to exist if you think there is a soul that will go on forever. The conscious brain simply can not grasp the concept of nonexistence.

This gets so deeply ingrained that adults who have otherwise given up magical thinking will continue to believe in their bones that their stream of consciousness will persist after the neurons that it arises from cease to be. I’m not saying it’s good or bad, but it’s definitely much easier to believe in eternal life.

If you consider the time before your birth, a similar plane of nonexistence, death becomes less frightening. It’s still sad, but not as worrisome.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2020, 9:40 AM

Yep, that pretty much matches up with the experts.

https://www.alieward.com/ologies/thanatology

Aug 21, 2020, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Will they serve beer and have Clemson football in heaven? ]

I am pretty much am atheist, but going through some anguish seeing people die around me and seeing my Mom and dog get old. That's why I asked. I am not trying to start shyatt. I am sincere.

I’ve honestly struggled with this my entire adult life

Aug 21, 2020, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Will they serve beer and have Clemson football in heaven? ]

I have tried to wrap my mind around the concept of heaven and hell and I’ve ended up pretty much where you are...at least so far.

I want so badly to believe in a life after death, but I just can’t get there. And it would make the bad things in life so much more bearable if I were able to believe that there was a path forward and that things happen for a reason...but the logical side of me won’t let it happen. I have even said I believed it out loud on many occasions, but it was a lie.

I am envious of those who are seemingly able to make that leap so easily. At the same time I have a great contempt for those who would say it’s simply a decision. The cynic in me believes that most of those people don’t really believe it either...they just hope.

But maybe that’s just to make myself feel better, because I also hope it’s true...even if I am never able to make that spiritual connection myself. Because at least then I will know for sure someday and I will take comfort in knowing that others made it there (heaven) and their faith was rewarded.

the answer based on the document that discusses heaven...

Aug 21, 2020, 9:43 AM

The Bible says friends and family that have confessed with their mouth Jesus as Lord and believed in their heart that he rose from the dead will be there.

As far as the activities that will go on and the environment, it is unclear other than it is incomparably better than here. The words and items used for metaphorical description are the finest things of this world - gold, mansions, etc.

Based on what I have observed, Trevor Lawrence and many of our football players will be there, so football is always a possibility.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the answer based on the document that discusses heaven...

Aug 21, 2020, 10:27 AM

What will make it better without our family, friends, and dogs? Good booze too. How is the food? Do we even eat? Do we have out bodies? Do we even eat or drink at all? We just lounge all day?

just answering the questions you are asking...

Aug 21, 2020, 11:20 AM

based on what is revealed in the Bible.

I do not know what will make it better other than no more sickness, death, hatred, racism, rudeness, jealousy, war, all those things that make life difficult.

Animals are a different story, but it is quite possible that the thought of being without friends and family is one of the motivational factors as to why some Christians "force" their beliefs on everybody. Maybe the motivation is love and not judgment.

The Bible seems to indicate we will have no physical bodies so no food, drink, sex, etc. These are the highlights of the physical world. Again, the implication is what we are yet to know is better than what we currently know.

Activity? Again, the implication is we'll worship God. Being honest, the thought of being in a 24/7 church service is not appealing to me, but worship really has a much broader definition than many of us relate the word to. It pretty much indicates that we will finally be back in perfect relationship with our Creator. Perfect peace...no more stress.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2020, 10:32 AM

In honor of you I consider this an honest question. I believe the following passage from the second chapter of first Corinthians tells us a Christian knows because we have The Spirit of God.

11. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

16. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

It also explains why others do not see.

Only one condition attracts me to heaven and only one condition makes me fear hell. The presence of God plus nothing. I love my mother, father and everyone else in my family including my children but if they stand between me at those 'Pearly Gates,' I will cut them a flip getting to my Father God the Almighty Who sent My Lord, His Son to save my wretched and miserable soul and redeemed me so completely that I am able to be in His presence.

But hey, that's just me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somethin' like this

Aug 21, 2020, 11:31 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0EiV423j0M

Replies: 10
| visibility 417
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic