Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will Venables prevent the NCSU and WVa defensive folds
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Will Venables prevent the NCSU and WVa defensive folds

Jul 15, 2012, 6:03 PM

this year? Heck, you could even add GT in there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will Venables prevent the NCSU and WVa defensive folds

Jul 15, 2012, 6:06 PM

It will be intresting to see how he does against GT's option. He didn't face many option teams at OU. I think the last was in 2009 or 2010 against AF.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2012, 6:08 PM

he can't do no worse than steeles defenses did.

I see what you did there with that double negative

Jul 15, 2012, 7:15 PM

;)

Jul 15, 2012, 6:08 PM

While the defense was bad against GT, alot of blame falls on the offense. When the offense is turning the ball over and giving them a short field, it's hard to win no matter how good your defense is.

But yes. It will be better this year.

Jul 15, 2012, 6:15 PM

Sometimes your defense needs to make a play or get a stop to turn the momentum in a game regardless of field position. Lets hope he's responsible enough to understand that and not blame the offense the way Steele did last year. Players hearing their coaches making excuses for them is not motivation to improve.

Jul 15, 2012, 9:17 PM

He's been dealing with this type offense for a few years at Oklahoma and I've never seen him blame anybody but the defense for any shortcomings.

Jul 31, 2012, 11:23 PM

he will be soumder and no, he won't prevent folds, but the players on the field might. venables is a step up for clemson. is he a panecea, no, but i think clemson will see more squaring up and more defenive oriented play.

Jul 31, 2012, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Will Venables prevent the NCSU and WVa defensive folds ]

i think they will execute sounder schemes more effectively. they, the defense, looked promising in the spring game.

If I remeber correctly the defense did make a play

Aug 1, 2012, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Will Venables prevent the NCSU and WVa defensive folds ]

and tajh then threw the ball into the arms of a GT player

Jul 15, 2012, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Will Venables prevent the NCSU and WVa defensive folds ]

I totally agree about the turnovers against GT. But just speaking from memory, I remember the clock just ticking, ticking and ticking with our defense unable get the ball back.

Actually reminded me of how much and why I loved the option in the 80’s.
Awful feeling being on the opposite end of that equation

He didn't seem to have that problem at Oklahoma.***

Jul 15, 2012, 6:28 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Really? Look at the points against for the last 2 years

Jul 15, 2012, 8:43 PM

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/big12/oklahoma/yearly_results.php?year=2010

Still better than our 410 points against last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm aware of that, but consider he faced some of the

Jul 15, 2012, 9:18 PM

highest scoring, most potent offenses in the country last year(#2, 4, 11, 22, 29,&30), including 3 first round draft choices at QB. The only games in which they gave up more than 30 was against OKST (#2), Baylor (#4), and Texas Tech (#11).

On the other hand, we gave up over 30 seven times.

He should be a significant upgrade.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I'm aware of that, but consider he faced some of the

Aug 1, 2012, 5:51 AM

all valid points but when you have a defense that is loaded with 4 and 5* talent...you expect better. But overall he should be an upgrade for ya'll.

His defense led the conference in scoring defense. That is

Aug 1, 2012, 12:11 AM [ in reply to Really? Look at the points against for the last 2 years ]

the stat that matters.We were 10th. T E N T H!

Well, NC State was more turnovers than the defense. Our

Jul 15, 2012, 6:35 PM

defense was horrid all year, but only Va Tech, FSU, Wake, and BC had less total yards of offense against our defense than NC State. Yes, even Wofford had one more yard in total offense (399 yards) than NC State did against our defense (398).

Granted, Troy, Auburn, Maryland, Ga Tech, UNC, SCAR and W. Virginia all gained well over 400 yards against our defense. Pretty sad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the fact that Wofford had almost 400yds makes me puke***

Aug 1, 2012, 8:48 AM

Yes!********

Jul 15, 2012, 7:14 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes!********Agree! Lets get positive

Jul 15, 2012, 7:31 PM

Just Win Tigers and if the Defense is improved we will....

Let me look into my crystal ball***

Jul 15, 2012, 7:35 PM

Well if you saw the NCState game you know that

Jul 15, 2012, 7:57 PM

turnover after turnover on Clemson's side of the field in the 1st half killed Clemson. Plus the offense had three and out and three out over and over. I think the Tigers youth on offense was starting to catch up with them they just seemed to run out of gas at the end of the year. The WVA game just blow up after the fumble at the goal line and return 99 yards for a TD. Clemson scores and they go up instead they are down two scores and just deflated and never recovered. Clemson wasn't as bad as they looked and WVA wasn't as good as they looked.

Re: Well if you saw the NCState game you know that

Jul 15, 2012, 8:02 PM

I agree with you 100% with the offense on the WVU game. However, that was no reason for the Defense to give up 70.
The point I saw the D totally deflate was when the WVU runner rolled over the back of one of our players, and keep running. Just stupid how that happened.

Re: Well if you saw the NCState game you know that

Jul 15, 2012, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Well if you saw the NCState game you know that ]

I never felt the fumble killed us vs Wva. The lack of any D intensity from start to finish did us in. D just was not ready to play at all. We never stopped them to speak of. Hardly seemed to make them break a sweat

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quitting looks pretty bad no matter what.***

Jul 15, 2012, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Well if you saw the NCState game you know that ]

I was at the State game and our offense gave State the ball

Aug 1, 2012, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Well if you saw the NCState game you know that ]

in our own territory 4 or 5 times....unacceptable. So both sides of the ball must improve this year...no TO's but especially not on our end.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES !!!! and

Jul 15, 2012, 8:49 PM

that is why Clemson has a legitimate shot at going 13-0 during the regular season + ACC Championship

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Along with everyone else in the ACC.

Aug 1, 2012, 11:21 AM

what happened to the OP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2012, 11:34 PM

Yes. It comes down to mental toughness. I think that is what our d has been missing when things start to go a little bad. I think coach V will bring a passion to our team that will install this element into our d.

Jul 31, 2012, 11:59 PM

I think our linebackers will be a lot better this year. Anthony, Parker, Willard, Townsend ,and hopefully Steward should provide quality over last year's group. I hate to be critical, but Hawkins(Wright) and Christian need to remain on the bench until the game is decided one way or the other.

To some degree yes

Aug 1, 2012, 10:14 AM

If you look at the teams that pile up yards and points on us last year, outside of GT, they took advantage of Steele's man cover schemes. They ran a lot of WR's deep drawing players downfield and then let the QB run in open space. S. Carolina, Maryland, WVu all specifically exploited us in this manner because Steele would not adjust to this style of play.

Venables, i believe, runs more zone so players are facing the line of scrimage, not playing with their back to the QB. This makes it a lot easier to diagnose QB runs and draws.

It can be a frustrating defense because it will give up yards slowly, but hopefully not in huge chunks like Steele's d was and it should make defending a scrambling QB a bit easier.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic