Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will Saban announce his retirement tomorrow?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Will Saban announce his retirement tomorrow?

Jan 10, 2019, 10:29 PM

The 44-16 whipping, and the way Alabama Assistant Coaches are leaving, I have a feeling that Saban might announce his retirement tomorrow's Press Conference he has called.

At 67, why would he not?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will Saban announce his retirement tomorrow?

Jan 10, 2019, 10:31 PM

He will not do that because someone as successful and competitive as Saban does not want to go out a blowout loser.

He may not have a choice.

Jan 10, 2019, 10:45 PM

I'm not suggesting he's on the hot seat but one more loss to Clemson like that and his fanny will become quite warm. He's not deaf or blind. He saw the train coming down the track and he knows it's sure to make its annual run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2019, 10:32 PM

Muschamp will be fired before Saban retires.

Right! Then, the Coots think they will talk Saban into

Jan 11, 2019, 10:19 AM

following in the footsteps of SlobberLou and DrunkardSteve.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would be surprised. He put a lot of effort into 2019 recruiting class, and returning starters will have him very much in hunt for Bear's record next year. Of course, Clemson won't make it easy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know, I was thinking this very thing from his demeanor and general mood at the game. It reminded me a whole lot of the way the OBS was acting right before he hung it up.

Jan 10, 2019, 10:40 PM

Are you referring to the Ol' Ball Sack?

What a piece!!!

Love rubbing it in their face how he bailed on them!

Jan 10, 2019, 10:42 PM

When the angry elf shows up drunk for his coach’s show, you’ll know the end is near.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

ole Ball sac saw writing on wall, couldn’t stomach he was

Jan 10, 2019, 10:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Will Saban announce his retirement tomorrow? ]

going to be losing...a lot. Quitter

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He killed two birds with one stone.

Jan 10, 2019, 10:48 PM

He rebelled that USuCk wouldn't give him a retirement enabling contract extension and ruined two recruiting classes before he left.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They still haven't recuperated from the wake...

Jan 10, 2019, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Will Saban announce his retirement tomorrow? ]

of casual damage strewn behind him.

Jan 10, 2019, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Will Saban announce his retirement tomorrow? ]

He did things Saban doesn’t do, he looked like he had checked out

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His ego needs one more to pass Bear Bryant. ***

Jan 10, 2019, 10:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Reckon Bama will put up with no national championships...

Jan 10, 2019, 10:42 PM

until after Dabo retires?

All jokes aside, Saban knew he couldn't win way before his players and fans realized it. He knows our bench at the line was greater than his bench at the line and our bench isn't that far from our starters. Contrary to his last showing, Saban is a good coach.

He knows he's not beating this team for at least two years are passed. If that Uiagalelei signs with us he's going to have to coach another couple on top of that. I believe it will come after signing day.

Frankly, the wheels came off Bama's bus and Bama is sitting two rows back on the ROY bus now.

Re: Reckon Bama will put up with no national championships...

Jan 10, 2019, 10:55 PM

But they play in the weak SEC that can't expose their weaknesses, so they will likely keep going to the playoffs though.

I hope so.

Jan 10, 2019, 11:36 PM

Nothing would please Tiger Nation more than driving the nails in Bama's coffin. After all the SEC ESPiN hype it's the only way to go.

Jan 10, 2019, 10:33 PM

I've wondered too. What's he going to do? Keep coaching until he's 70? Recruiting will start to fall off so why not go now and make it swift? They have a great class already lined up so it wouldn't hurt recruiting as much as if he waits and it just falls apart like Spurrier did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 12:47 AM

someone noted his demeanor and I did too and also wondered the same: is Saban about to hang it up?

my head tells me he doesn't have it in him to do anything that looks like he just quit. but what I saw after the game was a defeated man. and I suppose a great portion of his sense of defeat is likely attributable to his realization that we could have scored one or two more times but chose to step off the gas.

I dont expect him to retire, but such an announcement would not surprise me.

Jan 11, 2019, 6:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Will Saban announce his retirement tomorrow? ]

Muschamp to replace Sabin! Wouldn't that be nice!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2019, 10:46 PM

He's an all time great coach. I'd hate to see him stick around too long and go out like Bobby Bowden.

Jan 10, 2019, 11:34 PM

Saban will likely discuss staff changes and NFL decisions. He wants another title and having the best class of recruits arriving I would quite surprised if he retired.

Clemson will be in the CFP picture, but both programs face challenges so Dabo is aware how critical this Spring will be. Saban also has to rebuild his staff which was his undoing in many ways.

Go Tigers ??!!

Jan 10, 2019, 10:48 PM

Is it better to go out tied with Bear Bryant now or coach 3-4 more years and not win another natty? It’s not just Clemson, but teams like Georgia, Florida, TAMU, LSU that may prevent him from even making SEC finals. And other coaches will start with the same question they had for Spurrier, he’s not going to be there much longer, which will hurt recruiting.

Jan 10, 2019, 10:59 PM

And oh by the way, they have to play the Gamecocks next year and you know he’s worried about Muschamp! This may push him out early, since Jake is not going pro.

Jan 11, 2019, 2:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Will Saban announce his retirement tomorrow? ]

The rest of the SEC provides no real competition for Bama. Their average margin of victory against SEC opponents this year was 3 touchdowns, even with a subpar by Bama standards defense.

Let’s see if LSU can score a point on them before we start thinking they can knock Bama off their throne.

Jan 10, 2019, 11:13 PM

Bear Bryant and Steve Spurrier both retired after LSU kicked their ###. So obviously when LSU beats them by 50 next year, he will retire the next week.

Jan 10, 2019, 11:30 PM

He is not going anywhere because he believes like most others that his 19 recruiting class is the best he has had since being at bama. 3 5 stars, 24 4 stars and 1 3 star kicker.

I say there is no way in hail he retires, after that butt whipping!

Jan 10, 2019, 11:34 PM

I predict, after he wins one more natty. But I hope we can keep that from happening!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 2:00 AM

Saban's assistants leave every year. They want Bama on their resume to get another job. They have no desire to work for him long term.

Saban's not leaving Bama until he's secures that 7th NC making him the all time leader for College NC's by any college coach.

Jan 11, 2019, 9:51 AM

I think Lane Kiffin's stint at Bama and the fact that he put the spotlight on Saban's infamous "### chewings" has made Alabama an undesirable place to be a coach. Its a great spot to have on your resume, but not to be a coach.

The Alabama coaching staff is not the powerhouse it used to be. The Saban-Smart team was near invincible. But Smart is long gone. Now, assistants are just trying to get their piece of the fading prestige before its completely gone. Get on the bandwagon while it's still rolling, so you can make yourself look good before the wheels fall off, because those lug nuts are starting to loosen up.

That said, I dont think Saban will quit until he gets #7. He is still in his peak, although he IS about to hit the downhill side of that peak. He can still get #7, but he needs to do it within the next 2-3 years. Otherwise, his career will hit its "event horizon" or "bingo point" where it just keeps going downhill, much like what happened with Bobby Bowden.

Saban is smart enough to quit while he is "ahead" (see his time at LSU and the Dolphins). But, he also has an ego, and he is incredibly focused on his goal of winning and being the best on top of being very smart.

If he doesnt win #7 within the next few years, will he be smart enough to leave before his career hits the declining point of no return? Or will he feed his ego and go crazy while spiraling downward with seasons that start accumulating more and more losses until Bama quietly "asks him to resign"?

Saban would not retire unless there was a clear...

Jan 11, 2019, 6:51 AM

...picture of who would be the next coach of the Crimson Tide. That coach would have to be a no-brainer who would guarantee success in winning national championships in football.

At present, the ONLY man that could fill that vacancy of Saban's retirement is none other than Bama's native soon, Dabo Swinney.

While I have no doubt that Bama will call Dabo home when Saban retires, I don't think the timing is now.

But, if Bama claims the title back next year, and does so against Clemson and Dabo, then I think we're having a different conversation this time next year.

My worry is that when Bama comes calling, they will not take, no, for an answer, and they have the money to back it up. I don't think Dabo is driven by money, but, I also don't think that Dabo outright dismisses returning to Tuscaloosa as the head coach of the Crimson Tide.

CDS is a treasure of a coach for Clemson, and I never want to see him leave. But, he will not be leaving this year, particularly while Will Swinney is still at Clemson.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Dabo won't leave until Clay get thru Clemson

Jan 11, 2019, 7:03 AM

His 2 oldest sons are already there.Clay is what ? 9th- 10th grade ? No worries.

By that time, he'll have too much time in and will never leave

Jan 11, 2019, 7:31 AM

He’s not retiring. In fact, I hate it for who ever they play first next season. They will be hard to deal with after living with this beat down for several months.

Jan 11, 2019, 9:19 AM

I thought about this too...

Jan 11, 2019, 9:38 AM

You don’t know how his mind works obviously. The first thing he will say is he’s lobbying for rules changes that make it illegal to run plays that other teams used successfully against Bama. Secondly he will want a rule to limits how tall your wide receivers and quarterbacks can be on other teams. Lastly he will try to pass a rule that if it’s 3rd down and more than 7 you can’t throw a pass against Bama.

If he loses to Auburn next year and doesn’t make the SECCG or CFP he won’t be given the chance to retire.

Jan 11, 2019, 11:59 AM

That Presser turned out to be a dud!

Food for thought - SEC is not getting any easier.

GA nearly knocked out AL last year, and also this year. LSU, TA&M, and FL are surely coming up.
And then there is this issue of constantly replacing Assistants (who just want to put in 1 year at AL to claim that on their resumes).

Jan 11, 2019, 12:16 PM

And if he beats all of those he has little ol Clemson waiting on his ###.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic