Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will Miami struggle with UAB?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,377

Will Miami struggle with UAB?

Sep 9, 2020, 11:57 AM

Still not buying that program under Manny Diaz. Something is just not right.

I won't be surprised if they struggle to beat UAB and we have to listen to all the 'ACC sucks' stuff on Friday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't think so but...

Sep 9, 2020, 12:35 PM

they lost to FIU last year and nearly lost to Central Michigan as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I say...

Sep 9, 2020, 12:39 PM

yes!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will Miami struggle with UAB?

Sep 9, 2020, 12:51 PM

Maybe.

Big problem with Miami last couple of years has been their QB play. That transfer from Houston is legit, though.

If they crash and burn with the new guy, you can safely infer that something indeed is very wrong at the U, because we've seen that kid break scoreboards.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2020, 1:28 PM

I agree, can't even remember when they last had a decent QB in Miami. King should make a big difference and should light up the scoreboard. If their offense is still offensive this year, they probably send Diaz packing.

But no, I don't think they'll struggle with UAB.

Sep 9, 2020, 1:34 PM

I sure hope so. Lots of "experts" are buying into the Miami-is-back hype.They are saying D'Eric King is the single most import transfer player this year.

I sure hope they are wrong. I'm not buyin Manny Diaz stock yet. But, most "experts" are.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2020, 1:38 PM

Remember all of the experts were buying that Miami was back last year also even after their battle with Florida where it seemed both teams desperately wanted to lose the game.

King is a great player. The fair-weather nature of the Miami program may rally around a guy like that when things are good, but I'm going to have to see it for a few games to believe that they can keep everybody going in the same direction.

The same experts (hacks) that predicted it last year

Sep 9, 2020, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Will Miami struggle with UAB? ]

Probably.

Their DL was pathetic last year. It would help them if their offense improved by.... 100% too.

Sep 9, 2020, 1:48 PM

I think Miami will be fine or they will have an interim coach by week 8.

I will grant Diaz some patience only as so far as last year coaching waffling likely hurt a little.

However, while they were 6-6 and the MIAed their bowl, the team played tough for the most part. Of their regular season 6 losses, only 1 was by more than 7 points. That season could have easily been akin to our 2010 outing. Better sign for Miami was that a few of their games last year they basically spotted a team 14+ points early and then clawed back. Or the let thing slip late. But I think just like our 2010 season, they had a decent defense but no real offense that could produce points when needed and that is a tough place to be.

I still think Diaz can do it, I just don't know how patient Miami happens to be. You can't be in such a slow rebuild cycle that allows BOTH FSU and UF to rebuild in your woodland years.

Sep 9, 2020, 2:24 PM

I think expectations are down at Miami based on recent years and fans will be more patient with a well-known local guy who is very likable.

I can't see them firing Manny during the season unless something scandalous happens.

Sep 9, 2020, 4:09 PM

With a 2nd year coach, the expectations should be UP! Maybe not Natty level but a marked improvement.

Most coaches if they are even halfway decent post a very good to great second year. If not, few pan out afterwards.

Even Mark Richt posted his best seasons in his second year at UGA/Miami, Dabo had a strong 2nd year. Saban started rolling at both the 2nd year mark at LSU/Bama. Stoops won it in his second year. Bobby and Tommy Bowden had a good 2nd year. CJP and GT... doesn't mean you can have successful coach with a good second year, but rarely do great coaches need more than two years (Mack Brown took 3ish years). Even Muscoot posted his best years in his second year at both florida and south carolina... still a pile but you might as well fire a coach for a bad performance in their second year as it is rare, very rare for them to get the nose up.

Sep 9, 2020, 5:05 PM

If you solely look at 2019, of course expectations are up.

They showed complete dysfunction on offense at times last year. That should not happen with D'Eriq King and a new OC coming on the scene. This is the key to their season.

All they have to do is win 7-8 games, stay somewhat disciplined and all will be good for Manny. IMO, they have a chance to win the Coastal so we can smack them down a 2nd time in the ACC championship game.

Sep 9, 2020, 1:52 PM

D'Eriq King is going to take everyone's breath away this season. Miami should absolutely crush an undermanned team like UAB. I'll be surprised if they don't lay 60+ points on them.

Manny is another story. I don't think he's legit FBS head coach material. But if they ride King to a really good season this year, their recruiting will blow up and Manny might stay around a while.

I saw him closely as DC to Mack Brown at UT. He's not the most creative guy in the world. His best bet to long term success is to be a "CEO" type coach like Mack. Hire solid assistants who want to coach top notch talent and let them do their job while he brings home the bacon (5-star recruits).

Sep 9, 2020, 2:01 PM

Yeah, Mach Brown has a interesting coaching tree. I can't say it is bad but he really did not produce a lot of solid ones either. Not a lot of long-time stays by his own assistants considering Mack's longevity. Chizik is his "best" just by falling over Newton. Herman is kinda iffy right now. Maybe Harsin? A lot of failed (self fulfilling) failures from the coots too.

Then again, you can be a great legacy coach and no matter what, Frank Beamer's coaching tree is a stump.

Yes they will. UAB won 9 games last year and returns

Sep 9, 2020, 3:06 PM

18 starters, including the entire offensive line.

Miami's offense was horrific last year and I don't think they're going to turn that thing around overnight, even with D'Eriq King.

I think that'll be a good game.

Sep 9, 2020, 4:13 PM

Yes, I don't think miami has the talent to pull away early, nor the maturity to gut it out til the end. But I hope I'm wrong. Would like to think that the diet of humble pie has done Diaz some good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably. Miami hasn’t look like a well coached or

Sep 9, 2020, 5:09 PM

Disciplined team in many years.

It would be nice to see them compete for their division at least. I’m not sold on Diaz as a HC. I didn’t even think he was a great DC.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,377
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic