Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will ESPN "Force" The SEC to Ad Clemson and FSU?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Will ESPN "Force" The SEC to Ad Clemson and FSU?

May 17, 2012, 3:45 PM

IMO, ESPN runs the SEC and ACC. In fact they probably run college football for the most part.

I cannot imagine ESPN wanting the ACC to fall apart with major defections of FSU and Clemson (and may GT,VT,Miami or maybe NC State). I also do not think ESPN would want a Big 12 Network invading Florida, Ga, SC, NC,and Va. They have a monopoly on Southern College Football and I cannot imagine them wanting to lose such domination.

I know there is supposed to be a gentleman's agreement in the SEC keeping out certain schools, but I imagine the the suits at ESPN could probably coerce the agreement to be modified for the overall health of ESPN and their cash cows.....

Thoughts?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Will ESPN "Force" The SEC to Ad Clemson and FSU?

May 17, 2012, 4:17 PM

ESPN would prefer to have the NC and Virginia markets than an already established market in SC and FL.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2012, 4:34 PM

suit, so try reading the original post again, slowly this time. The OP alludes to the fact that ESPN already has those markets as he contends that they control the ACC and the SEC. The scenario he presents is one in which the Big XII takes FSU and Clemson (and possibly others from the ACC), thus gaining access to those markets. He is questioning whether it is in ESPN's best interests to force Clemson and FSU to join the SEC, or in other words--to prevent Big XII expansion into the southeast, presumably so that ESPN still reigns supreme over the southeastern market.

I think the answer to his question is "No", because even if Clemson and FSU were forced join the SEC, I still think the ACC, at least as a football conference, would fall apart as others (VT, GT, NCSU, etc) would make a leap if Clemson and FSU left. Thus, it makes no sense for ESPN to do as his title suggests.

Simply stating "ESPN would prefer to have the NC and Virginia markets than an already established market in SC and FL." makes it clear that you did not fully grasp the OP's question and were instead tritely looking to leave your worthless bit of coot manure in this thread, as a simple view of your post history reveals you are so fond of doing.

Well said....Thank you.***

May 17, 2012, 4:45 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

I am suprised the ignorant chicken can even respond..

May 17, 2012, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Will ESPN "Force" The SEC to Ad Clemson and FSU? ]

better than most USuCk fans.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regardless of what the $EC or ESPN might do....

May 17, 2012, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Will ESPN "Force" The SEC to Ad Clemson and FSU? ]

I am not sure anything can be done at this point to stop the Big XII-ish from gaining a foot hold in the southeast. If it isn't Clemson and FSU, it will probably be someone else (Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Miami or NC State for exmaple).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

May 17, 2012, 4:52 PM

I posted the comments below in another thread, but it is very appropriate here.

Guys:

Some of you complaing about ESPN and their "control" of college football should do some research on the thoughts by some in the media that ESPN has seen it's best days. You will also find out why conferences are all about cable boxes and the TV markets that each state will offer. As the NFL Network grows and as conferences begin to create their own "networks" the ESPN model will not be what it was. ESPN is a middle man. ESPN has little if any original programming; ESPN is not much different than a record store (remember those, record stores were middle-men).

See HBO as an example. HBO was merely a "middle man" in its inception and it only aired movies made by someone else. Well, middle men get squeezed out at some point and/or the competition becomes so fierce that the profitability is no longer there (see Netflix for HBO). HBO has since created a ton of orginal programming which makes it worthwhile to subscribe to HBO and not some other provider.

ESPN does not create original programming, or at least no original programming that anyone cares to pay for. The programming that makes ESPN money is created by some other entity (colleges, NFL). ESPN does not do anything that a conference or the NFL can currently do on its own. Looking into the future, one can see that ESPN is in a precarious position. Obviously ESPN sees this as a problem, hence these TV contracts that run for 15 and 20 years or some such. I imagine however, the conferences have an "out clause" which allows them to escape ESPN should they establish their own programming.

Anyway, the point is that those of you thinking in terms of "ESPN money" only, are being shortsighted. From what I have read, the future is conference networks and that is why conferences are interested in the number of cable boxes that will pay for that network. This is why you keep hearing that a "conference is not in a particular state" with regard to TV money. Conferences do not want to go into states where they already have a presence - those cable boxes are already sewn up for the most part.

Therefore, this is the cause for concern for Clemson. When conferences go looking at TV markets, our state isn't very big and there are a lot of lesser football programs that could bring a conference more money due to the location of those schools.

slugmuffin: didn't someone post yesterday that CU is

May 17, 2012, 5:13 PM

top 10 in TV viewership and tops in the ACC. i know i read it on TNET, so it must be true. if this is a fact, CU would be a draw to any conference, SEC included, if conference networks w/ paying subscribers is the future.

Re: slugmuffin: didn't someone post yesterday that CU is

May 17, 2012, 10:36 PM

Doesnt matter to a conference that already has a state in their footprint. If the sec network comes to fruition it will be added to cable packages in this state because of usc. Even people who dont watch usc games will be buying the channel as part of their cable package. So it doesnt matter if clemson has alot of virwers. Those people will already have the channel. Its not nielsen ratings the conferences are competing for. Its subscriptions. If the channel was a stand alone subscription clemson would bring more viewets but the channel will be in your package if there are enough viewers in the state. So the SEC wouldnt benefit from clemson unless there are enough clemson fans in nc to demand the package. The big 12 on the other hand would get all those same tv sets by adding clemson.

May 17, 2012, 4:53 PM

Sounds to me like many think that ESPN only cares about the SEC and the southeast. You don't think they already control the midwest, mountain west, and pacific regions as well? Where have most of you been the last 20 years. ESPN controls the college football market and they are creeping into the NFL. That's what they want. Purchasing ABC was a giant leap for them. The NFL has their own network, well guess who telecasts that, right ESPN. ESPN doesn't care about conference affiliation, they care about dollars and cents, if the ACC becomes a marketable commodity one day bigger than the SEC then you'll see the ACC reaping all the ESPN benefits. The SEC didn't go to ESPN, ESPN came to them.

May 17, 2012, 4:59 PM

Lamb, did you just say ESPN purchased ABC? LMAO.

May 17, 2012, 5:03 PM

Yeah, the same time Alltel bought Verizon....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2012, 5:18 PM

Good thing ESPN does not own Disney also.

May 17, 2012, 5:21 PM

Yeah I know....I don't think Pixar would sell Disney anyway.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2012, 5:04 PM

CLEMSON ain't going to defect..........

No. The reasons being:

May 17, 2012, 5:31 PM

CBS, in addition to ESPN, partners with the SEC. The Big 12 partners with Fox and ESPN. The ACC only has ESPN.

Also, if ESPN does not want any ACC school to leave for the Big 12, they can say that they won't contribute to paying up to the Big 12 for taking in an ACC team.

End of story.

that aint happening.... ESPN doesn't give a ratsass about

May 17, 2012, 5:43 PM

the ACC ....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one knows for sure. But we do know that

May 17, 2012, 5:51 PM

there are other partners with the SEC and Big 12 besides ESPN. So ESPN won't do anything unilaterally.

May 17, 2012, 5:59 PM

Clemson isn't leaving the ACC. Get use to being a basketball conference. The President and AD aren't going to leave the NC schools and the so called prestigious educations in the ACC. Clemson is stuck in the middle and when all is said and done will be left out due to your presumption and attitudes of your educational standards will trump that of football and it's revenue.

Clemson, FSU, Mia, & GT/VT should join the SEC to be the

May 17, 2012, 6:15 PM

first 16 team Super Conference. That would create two 8 team divisions, whereby you play all 7 teams in your division, plus 1 permanent game and 2 games that rotate every 3 years from the other division. 5 home games, 5 away.

That's a brutal and impressive 10 game SEC schedule that preserves historic rivalries, creates new ones, and solves a lot of problems for Clemson, USC, FSU, & UGa.

This also allows for 2 cupcake games for fans and to maintain 7 home games per season.

There would be solid arguments for keeping and eliminating the SECCG. Probably KEEP with a 4 team National Championship playoff, but eliminate if that evolves into an 8 team playoff, which I think is very likely at some point in the future.

Re: Clemson, FSU, Mia, & GT/VT should join the SEC to be the

May 17, 2012, 6:59 PM

Do you ever draw one card trying to fill an inside straight?

No offence intended but the likely hood of an inside straight draw is better than those four getting an invite from the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who does the SEC drop since they are already at 14?***

May 17, 2012, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Clemson, FSU, Mia, & GT/VT should join the SEC to be the ]

USC, Georgia and Florida...

May 18, 2012, 7:36 AM [ in reply to Clemson, FSU, Mia, & GT/VT should join the SEC to be the ]

...are SCARED to let Clemson, GT and FSU into the SEC. That's pathetic! Teams like Mizzou and A&M have no business in a conference located in the SE United States.

Re: USC, Georgia and Florida...

May 18, 2012, 8:18 AM

Penn State is in the Big 10. Arkansas is in the SEC. The ACC is trying to lure Notre Dame. Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado are in the Pac 10. This kind of realignment has been going on for decades. Why all of a sudden is it wrong for the SEC to step just outside the southeast to bring in TAM and Mizzou? It's not like going halfway across the nation as over half of TNetters want to do by moving to the Big 12.

Since we are all fantasizing,

May 17, 2012, 6:25 PM

I'll have a blond, brunnette and redhead all at one time.

Are there any women involved or just you four?***

May 17, 2012, 7:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2012, 8:36 PM

if ESPN runs the SEC how come CBS gets to show the SEC game of the week?

May 17, 2012, 8:39 PM

But, but, but.........

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic