Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will Boulware make the cut?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Will Boulware make the cut?

Aug 9, 2017, 11:55 PM

Boulware is a great instinctive LB, but his size just does not the NFL criteria. I'm really hoping that he makes the cut, but it is likely that he will not. Any thoughts/predictions?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he excels at special teams and

Aug 9, 2017, 11:58 PM

Accpets that role he will make the team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If he excels at special teams and

Aug 10, 2017, 7:28 AM

I was thinking special teams but did he play any of that?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If he excels at special teams and

Aug 10, 2017, 8:51 AM

He was in during the 4th qtr towards the end. As well as special teams.

I'm not so sure...

Aug 10, 2017, 7:52 AM [ in reply to If he excels at special teams and ]

in the era of the 53 man roster (only 46 can dress for actual games), other than kickers and long snappers, rarely does a player make an NFL roster solely as a special teams player.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Will Boulware make the cut?

Aug 10, 2017, 6:47 AM

I wouldnt be surprised to see him make it, but the more likely spot is practice squad imo. Obviously loves the game and seemed like he was in on almost every big play Clemson made on def the last cpl yrs...plus, all coaches like guys who have a little crazy in them.

I wish him all the best in the NFL

Aug 10, 2017, 6:59 AM

As anyone here would, but IMO, his future is in coaching. Great young man that has a LOT to offer for any NFL team willing to take a chance on him, though, that's for sure.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2017, 7:00 AM

Watched only the first quarter,and part of the second.Did he even play?
That right there could be in indication as to whether he makes the cut.
After all,if he didn't get at least some playing time in front of his "home town"(area)
fan base,I don't know if I see any playing time at all.
Last night,imo,would have been a good time to show the team what he has.

Aug 10, 2017, 7:59 AM

He played on Special Teams in the first half I believe but yea its not a good sign. Hopefully he can make the practice squad.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Aug 10, 2017, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Will Boulware make the cut? ]

Boulware also played about the last 4 minutes or so of the 4th quarter at LB. Love Ben - he has the heart, will, and determination of a champion but I'm just not sure he has the physical tools to make it in the NFL. I hope he makes it in the NFL but there looks to be a lot of backups ahead of him on the roster right now.

During the sideline interview last night with Thomas Davis, he was asked about the "young linebackers". Davis mentioned the names of quite a few that were impressive but Ben was not one of them. Not trying to make too much of this but it may be an indicator that Ben will have a hard time making the 53 man roster. At this point I think Ben making the Panthers practice squad would be seen as "success"...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2017, 10:00 AM

He absolutely does have the physical abilities to be an LB on the 53 man squad. Hell, he had better numbers than Reuben Foster. Either he isnt working hard enough (unlikely) or they dont see him as anything more special than the crew they already have, which I think is the likely reason.

Aug 10, 2017, 10:11 AM

I love Ben as much as the next Clemson fan, but let's not just post lies and pretend they're true. Foster didn't participate at the Combine, so you can't just say Boulware had better numbers, because that's not true.

I think anyone that's followed college football the last few years would know that Foster would run a faster 40 time than Boulware.

null

Aug 10, 2017, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Will Boulware make the cut? ]

Tim tebow put up much better numbers in college than Aaron Rodgers, tom Brady, and Matt Ryan. Stats in college really don't mean squat. Look at the stats tajh Boyd had. NFL potential isn't measured in college stats only.

Aug 10, 2017, 9:11 AM

If the Panthers don't hold on to him someone will sign him. This isn't going to be the end of his career if he gets cut.

Aug 10, 2017, 9:15 AM

In today's NFL, you can't be a 2-down LB in a 4-3 system because every down is a passing down. Look at the LBs that Carolina goes for like Davis, Thompson, and Jeremy Cash. All guys that played some DB in college and have good coverage skills. Kuechly is one of the best coverage LBs in the NFL, and all three of the other backups can run and have been on the team for a couple of years at least. Boulware is short and slow. If he'd landed with a 3-4 team, I could see him making it as the secondary ILB, but slow 4-3 LBs don't really exist anymore at that level.

Aug 10, 2017, 11:00 AM

I agree completely.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2017, 9:21 AM

He's as big as Keuchly , right ?
Bigger than HOF'ers Sam Mills and Mike Singletary ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 10, 2017, 9:25 AM

Size is important,but so is speed.Unfortunately speed is not one of his best assets.

Aug 10, 2017, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Will Boulware make the cut? ]

Kuechly's 3 inches taller and a little bigger. He also runs a 4.58 as opposed to a 4.83. And Mills and Singletary played in a different era. I've said before that Boulware would be a great NFL Mike LB if it was 1995. But it's not.

Aug 10, 2017, 9:41 AM

> Kuechly's 3 inches taller and a little bigger. He
> also runs a 4.58 as opposed to a 4.83. And Mills and
> Singletary played in a different era. I've said
> before that Boulware would be a great NFL Mike LB if
> it was 1995. But it's not.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree given his skill set. Great college lb, but could be exploited in coverage by NFL qbs and oc's. Panther's have a good dline though, and if he can contribute on special teams, develop his instincts for the defense, and provide some lb depth he can hopefully stick around on an expanded roster.

Aug 10, 2017, 9:58 AM

I think he's on the wrong team to compete for a LB position. Kuechly, Thompson, and Davis all are 4.5-4.7 guys in terms of speed at that position. Not really for him to be honest.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Too early to tell...a number of possibilities...

Aug 10, 2017, 10:05 AM

If he doesn't make the 53, he could make the practice squad.
He could get picked up by another team who is in need if the Panthers are full at LB.
An injury to another backup could keep him on the squad.
He could overtake one of the other guys over the next couple of weeks.
Or he could get cut and start his marketing for Lunchables career.
I hope he finds a spot somewhere.

Re: Too early to tell...a number of possibilities...

Aug 10, 2017, 10:44 AM

Or he could go to the CFL

Makes the team .....

Aug 10, 2017, 10:10 AM

and becomes a special teams standout. Might even become a starter for a couple of years in a few years.

I hope not***

Aug 10, 2017, 11:02 AM

Re: I hope not***

Aug 10, 2017, 11:11 AM

wow....

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive