Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Justin Fields Ruling Unfair to UGA and all CFB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 88
| visibility 1

Justin Fields Ruling Unfair to UGA and all CFB

Feb 8, 2019, 9:20 PM

Not that we have a dog in the fight but the BS ruling by the cowards at the NCAA is just another example to crying wolf to get your way. Now before some one jumps down my throat I know that the kid had another student Athlete hurl a slur his way. I also know the purportrator lost his Baseball scholarship was kicked off the team and had to leave school. The BS case Fields lawyer made is UGA is a "racially hostile environment".

We all know you put 80k fans in one place there are going to be some haters but really? It's not like their school did not take immediate and definitive corrective action. It was simply using the race card and playing the victim to get one over and the NCAA not having the stone to call him out on it. Think of all the QB's and CFB players for that matter that did it the right way and sat out the transfer year, while this kid with NO Class and NO Integrity took advantage of a rectified situation, made it about race discrimination and turned it into an unfair advantage, shame on him.

It shouldn't drive me nuts but it does because guess what is coming. All Racial all the time might as well just get rid of the transfer penalty, which leads to open free agency. I am as thankful we have higher integrity student athletes at this school. Peace to all welcome your constructive feedback and points of view. - Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to***

Feb 8, 2019, 9:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to***

Feb 8, 2019, 9:32 PM

Not the point I was making, but ok it may be a valid position

Feb 8, 2019, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

Because coaches are coaching for a living & players are not. This transfer crap is getting out of hand & is going to ruin college football. There has to be some kind of regulation, or it’s just going to turn into a wild-wild west free agency & every kid that doesn’t get his way will transfer out of a program with no repercussion. If something doesn’t stop this soon, college football as we know it is going to be a mess

Feb 9, 2019, 8:09 AM

So if a kid who visits places a couple of times makes a decision and it turns out to maybe be the wrong one should have to waste a year of him athletic life not getting to play competitively just because he thought he liked a school but turns out maybe he doesn't once he lived there. These are 18-22 year old kids we are talking about. Sometimes they make the wrong decision.

Feb 9, 2019, 10:32 AM

They have their entire high school years to pick a college. There are millions of dollars put into recruiting. The players and their parents visited as often as they wanted and could ask all the questions they had. This teaches them nothing about commitment if everytime things don’t go their way they can quit. They sign a letter of committment and should know exactly what that is

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 9, 2019, 10:40 AM

Visiting is completly different than living somewhere. If a kid is not enjoying his time somewhere he should not have to stick it out when he can go somewhere else and be happy. Life is about being happy and if a kid is not happy somewhere why would you or anybody else have a problem with them leaving? Because they commited to something they should just have to be miserable because of that?

Feb 9, 2019, 10:46 AM

Oh he should be able to transfer, but sit a year. He can go wherever he wants

Feb 9, 2019, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

The world doesn’t exist to make you happy. Period. If everybody lived that way, nobody would be happy.

Feb 9, 2019, 7:44 PM

No the world doesn't exist to make you happy but you live in the world and should try to be happy in ur life. A kid should not be punished and have to sit out a year because he isn't happy a one place and wants to go somewhere else that is welcoming him.

Feb 9, 2019, 10:47 PM

Then that does nothing to stop other schools from still recruiting that player if he can leave and play immediately. Example: Belk and Muschamp. There has to be some recourse for signing a letter of intent. Why do you think coaches have big buyouts? It's recourse for changing your mind.

I'm fine with kids leaving when they want but they need to be fined for that decision when schools make a commitment to put them on scholarship and stop recruiting other players.

JF's saying concerned about his racial interactions as to reason leaving. Well his sister is on volleyball scholarship and she hasn't packed her bags. It's just the stupid entitlement world.

Transfer to another school unless you graduated then you can play in 4 games period just like any other redshirt.

Feb 10, 2019, 1:07 AM

I’m on the fence. I think they should be able to play immediately since coaches can leave before a bowl game. I think they should still punish schools for contacting them if they’re on scholarship at another institution. As an aside, I don’t think student athletes should ever get a paycheck.

Feb 10, 2019, 8:20 PM

I just wanna know if cashmoney is related by blood to TigerBalm1. The resemblance is uncanny minus one(1) mullet.

Feb 10, 2019, 8:29 PM

Idk I believe I have got into some arguments with him so as well. He must be younger and for the players tho if he is similar to me.

Feb 10, 2019, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

It is a thin line but I just don't see why a kid should have to sit out a year because he isn't happy where he is at. I don't think other schools should be able to recruit them while they are at a school tho ofcourse not. Also just because his sister is there does not mean he doesn't feel safe there. Ofcourse I believe that is an excuse but it could be the truth and his sister not care what he thinks. He can't make his sister leave the school because he feels like there is a threat there. You can't be made at the kid for bending the rules to his favor tho. If we needed a QB and somebody did that to come here I am sure nobody on here would have a problem with it. Y'all can lie and say you would but we all know the truth.

Feb 10, 2019, 1:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

He made a committment to a school. They have a signed contract. Currently the NCAAhas a stipulation for this, and that is to sit a year. If their is a student athlete that decides he wants to go home to his sick mama, he is allowed to transfer with the stipulation that said student has to sit one year before he can play ball. As long as the NCAA has laws, stipulations, or whatever they are the kids are locked into sitting a year. There should be a strong and legally compelling reason to allow one special player to play immediately . This should never change. Let them change schools, but unless they can prove a reason as stated a above theyare require to sit a year. The NCAA would have to change their charter to allow the whining athlete change school and demand to play

Message was edited by: jeancooper®

Feb 10, 2019, 11:08 AM

I am fine with how it is I just think it is wrong. People.do not need to be upset with a player if he can find ways around it tho. People use the legal system to their advantage all the time. Why would you not?

Feb 10, 2019, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

You are confusing punishment with living with our decisions.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2019, 11:07 AM

It is a decision he has to make if he wants to play college football. Like I said it is a thin line but I feel like if an 18 year old kid makes a wrong decision he should not have to waste a year of his life because of it.

Feb 10, 2019, 4:44 PM

Why not? Young people make decisons all the time that maybe aren't the best for them ultimately. Some guys and gals his age choose military service then decide it isn't for them. It's life.

Feb 11, 2019, 6:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

Snow flakes melt quickly

Feb 11, 2019, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

So when I joined the military at 18 I could change my mind as well? Maybe people should be held accountable for the commitments.

And if you make the wrong decision

Feb 10, 2019, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

There shoukd be repercussions. That’s the way life works. Coddling 18-22 year olds isn’t going to help matters in the long run.

Is sitting out a year to play football much diiferent

Feb 11, 2019, 7:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

than the business world? If I leave my company I have "to sit a year" before I can do this again. I signed a one year non-compete clause which is pretty standard in business. Is there much of a difference?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Lord what a millennial, liberal point of view.

Feb 11, 2019, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

Typical no one has any responsibility for their actions, everyone is a winner, everyone can pout and get their way like a baby. Be an adult for once if you life and live with the decision you made. Thats how it works in the real world sunshine!

NC***

Feb 9, 2019, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

Clemsonuncle is right. So is the OP. But the

Feb 9, 2019, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

NCAA has all but turned to mush anyway claiming to be overwhelmed so the FBI said it would be glad to help out. Maybe the FBI needs to start at the NCAA offices.

Feb 10, 2019, 12:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

We pay $80-$500 per game to see Clemson. And you’re honestly going to say players shouldn’t get paid or should be prohibited from transferring. The days of the NCAA and taking advantage of athletes is dwindling. The AAF and XFL will become feeder leagues.

Feb 10, 2019, 10:36 AM

Then they should go that route if they wish, but College football will survive and maybe become stronger in that we wouldn’t have all of these ######## claims to justify transferring and starting immediately.

They are getting paid handsomely.

Feb 11, 2019, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

Tuition, trainers, meals, room & board, etc etc. So, just shut up with that idiotic nonsense.

Feb 8, 2019, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

Coaches also have multi-million dollar buyouts.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 9, 2019, 2:03 AM [ in reply to Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

ReaLLY? How would a program be able to operate if the players you brought in could jump ship at the drop of a hat? You can't go sign another one whenever, however. Or I guess in your mind, you just go take another player from another team, because everyone can jump ship whenever right?

Feb 9, 2019, 8:14 AM

Most kids go to a school because they like the school more than others on visits so they wouldn't leave. Some may have realized they didn't like the school once they get there and spend time there. Maybe some were promised starting spots and it didn't happen. Why should they not be able to change schools without punishment? Schools are for the kids not the other way around.

Because they signed a contract worth $150,000 or more

Feb 10, 2019, 9:28 AM

part of the deal is that you have to wait a year before you play for the competition. There are ways around it of course. If you go down a level, no wait. If you graduate and the other schools offers a graduate program that your school doesn't no wait. If you have a sick parent, no wait. If somebody calls you a racially insensitive name while you are at the school, no wait. Otherwise, that is part of the contract.

Just like when you take a job, you can't just leave a week later and keep your signing bonus. You can just go work for the competition if you sign a no compete clause.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

deleted

Feb 10, 2019, 12:55 AM [ in reply to Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

nm

Deleted

Feb 10, 2019, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

Nm

Feb 10, 2019, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Why should they have to wait a year? Coaches don't have to*** ]

Really!?!
Why should we pay coaches? Players don't get paid.

You're not wrong

Feb 8, 2019, 9:29 PM

Social media has given idiot voices where previously they were properly locked in their parents basements. Now, everybody's just looking to get outraged over an injustice, however slight.

The NCAA had no choice, if they wanted to avoid being boycotted and called racists (or worse).

Justin Fields left UGA because he didn't want to ride the bench and honor his commitment to UGA. But the lawyers exploited the current outrage society in America to get him off the hook. Facts.

Re: You're not wrong

Feb 8, 2019, 9:34 PM

Stewart Mandel just published this on The Athletic. I don't typically copy and paste their stuff since it's a paid service, but I figured you'd enjoy the read since it's on point. Sorry for the editing... it's a raw copy/paste job.

Who? would? have guessed a lawyer in? Arkansas? would become? the? most influential figure in the? Ohio? State-Michigan rivalry?
For? the? second?? year in a row, Thomas Mars has helped one of those team’s presumptive starting quarterbacks avoid sitting out a year like the standard transfer. In doing so, he as much as any figure in the country may have unleashed full-on free agency in college football.
On Friday, Ohio State announced that the NCAA has granted Mars’ client Justin Fields an immediate eligibility waiver after transferring from Georgia just last month. Buckeyes coach Ryan Day was tasked with replacing both departed Heisman finalist Dwayne Haskins and his presumed successor, Tate Martell (who transferred to Miami), the former No. 2 recruit in the country. Fields, who as a freshman saw limited action behind Georgia starter Jake Fromm, was basically the 1B to Clemson star Trevor Lawrence’s 1A in the Class of 2018.
That’s a heckuva pickup. It’s as big or bigger a development as Michigan landing its own Mars client last season — 2018 starting quarterback Shea Patterson.
Though we don’t know the exact details of Fields’ “mitigating circumstances” claim, Mars in interviews did not dispute that it includes the infamous September incident in which a Georgia baseball player yelling in the crowd at a football game referred to Fields by a racist slur. “Nobody who’s on social media would have a problem with Justin getting a waiver if they knew the whole story,” Mars told ESPN.com.
Because of that racial element to Fields’ story, the college football world has long assumed his waiver was a foregone conclusion. Mars in fact correctly predicted in early January that the case would be resolved within six weeks — seemingly lightning-speed by NCAA standards.
Inevitable or not, though, Fields’ situation could serve as a game-changing precedent.
It’s the most high-profile picture yet of the NCAA’s rapidly loosening restrictions on transfers. As much has been made of its newly ubiquitous transfer portal, all that did was make it easier for athletes and schools to initiate contact. Though that ease of use may have prompted a slight increase in transfer activity, the prospect of immediate eligibility is a true instigator for opening the floodgates.
Patterson’s petition, though itself unusual, was the result of more obvious mitigating circumstances. His original school, Ole Miss, had just been hit with an additional year’s bowl ban. Mars argued on behalf of Patterson and several other Rebels transfers they’d been misled by ex-coach Hugh Freeze as to the extent of Ole Miss’ NCAA violations, and he had the texts and direct messages to prove it.
Ole Miss originally objected to Patterson’s appeal, which at the time could have stopped it. But then, last April, the NCAA body charged with hearing these requests (the Division I Committee for Legislative Relief) quietly approved a modification to the previous guidelines that lowered the bar considerably for meeting the waiver requirements.
That is how we’re here today, talking about a player, Fields, now eligible for Ohio State just five weeks removed from donning a Georgia uniform in the Sugar Bowl.

(Dale Zanine / USA TODAY Sports)
If it feels like this whole free-agency frenzy has erupted quite abruptly, it’s because it has. Grad transfers have been a thing in college football since 2006, but instances of underclass transfers playing immediately were fairly rare prior to last season. In fact, as recently as 2015, the NCAA went in the opposite direction and eliminated hardship waivers when it seemed like an inordinate number of athletes were claiming to have sick relatives back home.
But in the years after that, the NCAA formed a Transfer Working Group charged with completely overhauling the traditional transfer model to make it more athlete-friendly. That’s how we got the Portal, which went into effect last October. That committee did at points consider whether to allow all athletes a one-time exception to transfer and play immediately but ultimately opted against it.
What came as a surprise, though, to even those of us who supposedly follow these things closely is that behind the scenes there was a compromise of sorts in the works.
“The Division I membership wanted to revisit the rule that limited immediate eligibility waivers,” NCAA spokesperson Emily James said in an email last month. “As the conversation evolved, the Division I Committee for Legislative Relief reviewed the waiver guidelines, and the Division I Council later approved (in April 2018) a change to allow immediate eligibility waivers to be granted in limited circumstances.”
They’re apparently not all that limited, however. The Associated Press recently reported that after the change, 50 of 63 football players who requested waivers were granted them. In addition to the Ole Miss players, most notably Patterson at Michigan and receiver Van Jefferson at Florida, former five-star receiver Demetris Robertson moved from Cal to Georgia. They even gave one to a freshman defensive tackle, Josh Belk, who went through spring practice at Clemson, then transferred to rival South Carolina in time for fall camp.
Now, as of this writing, former four-star QB recruit Martell, who left Ohio State after the season, has his own lawyer writing up his own request on why he should be allowed to suit up for Miami this season. Some have snickered at the circumstance he’s reportedly citing — Urban Meyer’s retirement — but in this new landscape, the NCAA may well grant it.
Meanwhile, five-star USC early enrollee Bru McCoy put his name in the portal just two weeks after arriving and is now at Texas, where he reportedly will cite Trojans offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury’s unexpected departure as reason not to sit out a year. That one seems like a no-brainer.
But McCoy is a receiver. Quarterbacks are forever the most-talked-about and potentially impactful transfers, and the past month alone has seen graduate Jalen Hurts go from Alabama to Oklahoma, Fields from Georgia to Ohio State and Martell from Ohio State to Miami, Austin Kendall from Oklahoma to West Virginia … and so on. You should expect this new form of free agency to become even more dizzying and eventful next year than it is already is this year.
Because a whole lot of backup quarterbacks out there are going to be calling Thomas Mars.

Feb 8, 2019, 9:56 PM

Thanks for sharing very interesting points

Feb 8, 2019, 9:46 PM [ in reply to You're not wrong ]

My question is, Who pays the bill for the Mars & whatever law firm that worked for Fields? That same shyster firm handled Patterson's transfer from Ole Miss to Michigan last year. I seriously doubt that the Patterson or Fields families paid anything, and lawyers don't work for free. Did OSU or Mich or the Big 10 foot the bills?

Feb 8, 2019, 9:56 PM

Fair Question who knows

Feb 8, 2019, 11:12 PM [ in reply to Re: You're not wrong ]

John Grisham ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 10, 2019, 1:27 AM [ in reply to Re: You're not wrong ]

Probably the school getting screwed

Feb 10, 2019, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: You're not wrong ]

Lol. They’re not getting paid. Atleast I wouldn’t think so. Look st it like this. That law office has been responsible for the two highest publicized NCAAF transfer athletes within the last two years. Atleast at my office, I would take them for free in these circumstances. If I won, I opened a huge can of worms. If I didn’t, my name still got out there significantly. Not everything is done solely for the money. I have done cases for publicity like this, and because sometimes I do actually care.

having somebody attack you racially, to the point

Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 AM [ in reply to You're not wrong ]

where they get kicked off a team, is not a "small outrage." And it likely was not the only outrage. And before you say, "There are tons of black athletes at Georgia who aren't getting racially attacked," the history of culture in this country is one in which white people have accepted black people, as long as those black people conformed to the roles that white America allows for--traditionally music, sports, and low-level service positions. The day a black man gets "uppity," like for instance kneeling during a national anthem to protest young black men getting routinely gunned down by law enforcement, is the day you see white America lose its collective mind on the topic of race. And if you don't believe me, watch the replies to this post and observe white America losing its mind here.

Re: having somebody attack you racially, to the point

Feb 9, 2019, 8:26 PM

**crickets**

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: having somebody attack you racially, to the point

Feb 10, 2019, 1:30 AM [ in reply to having somebody attack you racially, to the point ]

Ok let’s not make it bigger than it was. The baseball player called him a ni##er. Baseball player was removed from team and school. Where is all of this “attack” and “fear” coming from. He said a word, didn’t threatened and was removed. The school handled it appropriately

Feb 9, 2019, 10:53 AM [ in reply to You're not wrong ]

You’re entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts. The truth is, we don’t know exactly the impact this awful incident had on Fields. Perhaps he honestly didn’t feel comfortable on campus anymore. Perhaps, this 1 instance is legit?

Re: Justin Fields Ruling Unfair to UGA and all CFB

Feb 8, 2019, 9:50 PM

Tried to TU and it did 75%. Sorry. But I agree with your point. It’s one thing to transfer if there are legit reasons, but this smacks of smearing a school only for your benefit. Had Georgia done nothing, his complaint would be valid. Add that to the report that his sister remains a student there and it comes off as nothing more than a transparent tactic to advance his personal goals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2019, 10:18 PM

Agreed Pure Hypocrisy on his behalf, I have no love for UGA but look at how many QB's we have had transfer, shat if KB was not a SR and just made up stories that he was benched due to race, would have been total, unfair, unjustified, unsubstantiated BS and the National Media would EAT IT UP. As I stated in my original post the kids this staff brings in have great integrity so we don't have issues like this but I am outraged for UGA fans (feels wrong but there is a principal involved)...

Feb 8, 2019, 10:21 PM

The face slapping sounds like a justifiable excuse. The media ate that part up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Is it better to keep him there against his will?

Feb 8, 2019, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Justin Fields Ruling Unfair to UGA and all CFB ]

Dabo let KB2 go because he knew it wasn’t a fight worth fighting. Not because he didn’t believe in Kelly. But because he wanted what was best for Kelly. He knew he had done all he could do to coach this young man and now KB had a different way of seeing things. Add to that, a much more talented passer than KB and now we all see why. Do you think that any coach really benefits by showing a young man that he has the power to keep him there? It’s actually contrary. Smart showed that he couldn’t keep his promises. Not only did he not win his conference, he didnt even give him a starting job in a national championship game! I’m pretty sure that you care more about Justin Fields than most Cemson fans. And I’m even more confident that you care more than Kirby Smart or any other college coach does. Let the young man go. He made a huge mistake in picking Georgia. We’ve known all along. He’s just now finding out how bad Georgia sucks. Let him go.

Re: Is it better to keep him there against his will?

Feb 9, 2019, 9:40 AM

No one is arguing his right to transfer just the process he used to gain the waiver...

Feb 9, 2019, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Justin Fields Ruling Unfair to UGA and all CFB ]

I agree it is probably a b.s. excuse but maybe his sister and he are not the same person ya know. Doubt he can make his sister not go to a school because he doesn't feel safe there.

Feb 8, 2019, 10:30 PM

Exactly.........potd.......Go Tigers!!!!!!!

Feb 8, 2019, 10:38 PM

And I really hope we get to play Fields in playoffs next season so Trevor Lawrence can show him exactly who was the best QB in 2018 class because it was not him...... but doubt that will happen because Fields is not good enough to make that happen......Go Tigers!!!!!

Feb 8, 2019, 11:41 PM

Ohhhh WAAAAAHHHHH it’s unfair to UGA...WAAAAAAAHHHHHH... Since when the F*#K do you care about UGA?!?! Please shut up. UGA is a racist cesspool and your fake indignity makes me want to vomit.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2019, 8:31 AM

I never TD anyone, and cannot due to not being a paid member, but your post deserves many TD's. Deal with it.

Feb 9, 2019, 10:45 AM

I did it for you

Feb 11, 2019, 8:58 AM

You sure showed him. Heaven forbid someone have a different opinion from you. That's exactly what the pulse rating is for right? Giving a TD to anyone who disagrees with you.

Feb 10, 2019, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Justin Fields Ruling Unfair to UGA and all CFB ]

I like this post.

Feb 8, 2019, 11:59 PM

I might agree with this if the NCAA wasn’t granting eligibility to soooo many different people.

Feb 9, 2019, 12:09 AM

Also his sister is still enrolled at UGA with no plans to leave so that says a lot to me personally. But there was no way the NCAA picks this issue to stand up in this political climate.

Feb 9, 2019, 12:58 AM

I totally agree with you. To many times people use race, sexual orientation or other factors for their own personal gain. But so far I seen it backfire more than it works. I have learned what comes around goes around and Karma is bad medicine when it comes back to someone!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Assuming too much to get yourself all worked up

Feb 9, 2019, 1:05 AM

We don’t know what arguments they made, but we know the NCAA has been granting waivers left and right. Not everybody is out to get you.

Re: Assuming too much to get yourself all worked up

Feb 9, 2019, 1:45 AM

I don’t think that they are. But to many people use the system for their own personal gain. I don’t know how old you are but life was much better before social media and the law which was past but the SC legislative body to allow attorney’s to advertise. Now every kid that looks to transfer will use the Justin Fields case to get around having to sit out one year.

Another example is the kid from an SEC school who came out as gay just before the draft. This made it almost impossible to pass on him because the NFL would have been blasted as homophobic. As far as I know he never could stick with a team due to lack of size or talent. But he used his sexual orientation to get drafted. Justin Fields is using the race card to get a wavier to play immediately when so many others had to follow the rules and sit out a year. I think Fields argument is BS. These are the ones I hope karma comes back on. Those who use and abuse the system.

Feb 9, 2019, 3:14 AM

I don’t think that they are. But to many people use the system for their own personal gain. I don’t know how old you are but life was much better before social media and the law which was past but the SC legislative body to allow attorney’s to advertise. Now every kid that looks to transfer will use the Justin Fields case to get around having to sit out one year.

Another example is the kid from an SEC school who came out as gay just before the draft. This made it almost impossible to pass on him because the NFL would have been blasted as homophobic. As far as I know he never could stick with a team due to lack of size or talent. But he used his sexual orientation to get drafted. Justin Fields is using the race card to get a wavier to play immediately when so many others had to follow the rules and sit out a year. I think Fields argument is BS. These are the ones I hope karma comes back on. Those who use and abuse the system.

Michael Sam wasn't a good NFL player. It wasn't that he was gay. College success could predict NFL success, but measurables often matter. Think Ben Boulware and Keith Adams as somewhat recent examples of fantastic college players with no NFL success.

Feb 9, 2019, 1:46 AM [ in reply to Assuming too much to get yourself all worked up ]

UGA should rightfully grant his sister's release so she can transfer freely.

Feb 9, 2019, 3:03 AM

If you think that in the deep south that this was one rogue individual spewing a racial slur, you're extremely naive. Anyone could really make a case that the situation created a hostile atmosphere, even by those like you who expect and pressure him to just pretend it just never happened. You talk as if there is no way he actually feels uncomfortable and unsafe and that he is just using race as trump card. Either way, its an easy decision for the NCAA to make to err on the side of caution and let him get the waiver rather than make him feel like he has to deal with racism at his current school.

Feb 9, 2019, 9:47 AM

Again he can transfer at anytime the issue is the BS spewed to get an immediate eligibility waiver...

Feb 9, 2019, 10:34 AM

Tbonetoo said:

Again he can transfer at anytime the issue is the BS spewed to get an immediate eligibility waiver...

But how do you know its BS? If he felt truly that the environment is hostile, why punish him by making him sit out? Comments like yours always baffle me because you act as if "playing the race card" is as harmful as you know, actual racism.

If I am the NCAA, I'd rather make the decision where we possibly got played by someone using the race card rather than making a kid deal with a hostile situation or unnecessarily enforcing a rule where people have been granted waivers for less. On one hand, no one is hurt other than your feelings about him possibly using a rule to his advantage. You go other way on this, and the possible harm is obviously much much worse.

Feb 9, 2019, 8:29 AM

Wish I could give multiple TU's for this post. The Race Card should be banned, never to be used again. Anyone even trying to use the Race Card should be deported to another country. And Affirmative Action should be reversed and fire most of the Black NBA players and insert White players to make the ratio correct. Same with the NFL. Ooooohhhhhhhh! Boom! Rant on fellas. Yes - some of us are tired of the Race Card being used, so Deal With It!

The Deep South...?

Feb 9, 2019, 10:21 PM

What long held stereotypical beliefs are you trying to propagate there? Might be a log in your eye. Racism and hate unfortunately comes from all colors of skin and parts of this country. Don't think you own the high road.

Re: The Deep South...?

Feb 10, 2019, 3:26 AM

Stop it. Yes, racism comes from everywhere, but it’s especially prevalent in the Deep South. We had a civil war in this country because of racist traitors from the Deep South. So save the lecture for some idiot that’s going to buy your drivel.

Feb 10, 2019, 2:01 PM

Thanks for proving my point. Hate is hate. Jesus and Love win!

Feb 10, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to The Deep South...? ]

There are equally as many bigots in the North. That crap don’t fly. Exactly how long ago was that civil war? Have the dynamics in this country and especially the south not changed. Yes it has

Feb 10, 2019, 3:22 AM

You people are idiots. Coaches can leave at the drop of a hat, give me one good reason why athletes shouldn’t be able to do the same. I’ll hang up and listen...

Feb 10, 2019, 10:57 AM

Perhaps it is you who is the idiot. Yes coaches can leave but they have million dollar buyouts which is s reprocussion of this decision, just like sitting a year is a reprocussion fot students athletes who do not fulfill their obligation. Millions of dollars are spent in recruiting. Often times a coach will tell a player that he won’t recruit another person for his particular slot that recruiting cycle. When the student athlete gets his feelings hurt and transfers the school he is leaving is impacted since they can’t just run out and replace that player. Actions have consequences

Feb 10, 2019, 11:57 AM

Get your head out of your rear end. Coaches HAVE THE OPTION TO LEAVE and coach the very next year - making millions of
dollars to do so. Players, who often sign up to play for a particular coach, are then penalized when they want to transfer. It’s a joke. NCAA talks about what’s best for the player- that’s a load of crap. They’re doing what’s best for the business of college football. There is no justifying this.

Feb 10, 2019, 8:49 AM

If he hadn't gone to Ohio St he would be sitting out a year...plain and simple...That cash cow out of the B1G needs a QB this year and that's a threat to their entire season...

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 10, 2019, 9:23 AM

The one thing everyone is forgetting is that while on the surface this may not seem legitimate, we all will never know the full story. But imagine if the NCAA did not grant this waiver and there WAS an extreme situation or racism that made fields uncomfortable.

Look I’m no fan of UGA, the puppies, or anything related to their football program, but the public backlash would probably be more damaging to the NCAA if they didn’t grant the waiver thancif they did. This probably played into their decision making.

Go tigers.

Assuming the "Was"

Feb 10, 2019, 2:19 PM

As a parent I'm not leaving my daughter there.

Feb 10, 2019, 12:28 PM

Playing the race card in today's world automatically lets him pass go and collect 200 dollars.

You didn't REALLY think they were gonna rule against the

Feb 11, 2019, 8:20 AM

Cinderella of the $EC....and The Blowhio state , Did you ???

Please....

unless there is a binding contract

Feb 11, 2019, 9:17 AM

free people should move around freely

NCAA doesn't want to touch this with a 39.5' pole

Feb 11, 2019, 9:22 AM

its really as simple as that. Put yourself in their shoes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Feb 11, 2019, 10:56 AM

Why not have a compromise? If Fields had to sit out 4-6 games in his first year that would be enough for most players to think twice about transferring yet still give players options. Maybe have 1 of those games be a bowl game automatically? That would keep the elite teams from just saying, don't worry about those first 4 games, most of them are against creampuffs anyway.

It would still allow someone like Fields to get on the field at Ohio State but would prevent him from chasing a national title in his first year and would also give pause to schools trying to get a quick fix, Would be hard for Ohio State to give him the starting job if they knew he couldn't start in a potential playoff game.

That would still allow plenty of time on the field with your new team but really make players strongly consider their long term future and not just a short term one.

This would not include graduate transfers, who I believe have earned the right to transfer to wherever they want for that final year and try and pursue their dreams, wherever and whatever they might be without any restrictions.

UGA got no less than UGA deserved.

Feb 11, 2019, 11:47 AM

I'm not arguing that Field's is a solid citizen who cares about fairness and honest. All I'm saying is that UGA got what they wanted in a coach. They got a chunk off Saban and turned him loose to collect the trash and this is exactly what they deserve.

I don't care what happens at UGA anymore than I care what happens in any other SEC program. I hope ESPiN gets their rhetoric shoved up their butts for naming Fields #1 ahead of a Trevor because I know it's due to UGA being an SEC school.

I don't care how many players transfer. With such a variety of offense and defenses a player will be hamstrung for at least one year from having to learn a new system and suffer the pain of being an outsider to the program. Imo, the negatives far outweigh the positives for programs which allow a POS like Field to transfer there.

I don't give a chit what the NCAA does, they don't run Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 88
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic