Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why isn’t Bennie Cunningham in the Ring of Honor?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,362

Why isn’t Bennie Cunningham in the Ring of Honor?

Nov 1, 2020, 9:53 PM

Just read Tim Bourret’s article on Bennie Cunningham.

He was a 2x time first team All American. The first Clemson African American athlete in any sport to earn All American honors. The only tight end selected for the ACC’s 50-year anniversary team.

I think that’s good enough for Ring Of Honor induction Spiller, Watson and Wilkins are my choices from the “modern” era. Obviously a couple of guys on the current team should be shoe-ins as well when the time comes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only thing I can come up with is Clemson was not great

Nov 1, 2020, 10:09 PM

back then. I think we were 18-26 in his years at Clemson. Even though the ring of honor should be an individual thing, I believe team success does carry some weight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the main reason - players in the ROH........

Nov 2, 2020, 9:19 AM

are guys that made a major contribution to the success of our overall football program - guys who raised it to the next level with major successful results. I remember watching how good Bennie was and he was one of my favorites and then later with the Steelers. But our program when he played wasn't very good.

That's just reality. The ROH is for the elite of the elite, otherwise every All-American, etc. would be in it which wouldn't make sense. Players who made a major difference (CJ, DW, TL, CW, etc.) are ROH-level players.

Re: Why isn’t Bennie Cunningham in the Ring of Honor?

Nov 1, 2020, 10:24 PM

I think he should be! He was a great player.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2020, 10:43 PM

Maybe it's something simple and stupid. One of the requirements was having earned a Clemson degree. It wasn't unusual for an athlete to not graduate. I believe Bennie's major was secondary education and he could have finished that at many schools. Bernie's was a great Tiger and a great Steeler.

If it is anything, it may be not finishing his degree

Nov 1, 2020, 11:11 PM

but for some reason, I thought that he did finish after he retired from the Steelers. Also, doesn't the Ring of Honor require a nomination? What if no one has thought to nominate him...

I am going to try to reach out to his brother and see about the degree...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bennie was the Best Tight End to ever play at Clemson

Nov 1, 2020, 11:17 PM

And by a fairly wide margin!

He was a dominating player, a real force at TE in that era.

Nov 1, 2020, 11:47 PM

In an era when defenses were geared to stop the run, LBs that were big enough to tackle him were way to slow to cover him. And he would knock 180 lb DBs out of the way or drag them all over the field. He was big, fast, athletic, and had great hands to boot. The best.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: He was a dominating player, a real force at TE in that era.

Nov 2, 2020, 12:33 AM

I am fairly certain that Bennie came back and earned his Clemson degree. After his playing years were over, a friend was a teacher in the Anderson school system and told me about Bennie coming to his school and practice teaching, a requirement for his degree.

Big Bennie certainly deserves ROH consideration.

Bennie did get his degree

Nov 2, 2020, 7:36 AM [ in reply to If it is anything, it may be not finishing his degree ]

We were in the same graduation ceremony in 1979.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, the requirement does not require a Clemson degree.....

Nov 2, 2020, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Why isn’t Bennie Cunningham in the Ring of Honor? ]

it requires a degree from an accredited 4-year college - doesn't have to be from Clemson.

That's why from what I understand Jim Phillips isn't in the ROH as the longtime Voice of the Tigers. He didn't have a 4-year college degree.

An obvious oversight. It should be corrected.***

Nov 2, 2020, 7:17 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen. I totally agree

Nov 2, 2020, 7:32 AM

The article the OP referenced stated he had a degree
he used to work in schools in the upstate.

https://clemsontigers.com/bennie-cunningham/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a great point. BC was my first favorite Clemson

Nov 2, 2020, 9:06 AM

player. I didn't realize he was a 2-time first teamer...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bennie Cunningham - best TE ever in ACC

Nov 15, 2020, 8:23 AM

I still remember him carrying 4-5 defenders down the field numerous times. He was a beast.

He also was fantastic with the Steelers.

WHAT A PLAYER

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 5:37 PM

Dropped to many passes at Clemson

Nov 2, 2020, 5:37 PM

Dropped to many passes at Clemson

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,362
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic